This thread currently has 5,642 views. Print
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Career Underdogs
October 4, 2011, 4:57pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +9 / -34
Approval: +1
I am really concerned for the future of GTFC following the gift of £500k of share to them by Mike Parker.

The Supporters Trust is now the biggest shareholder. Year after year Fenty has had to put money into the club in order for it to survive and so has Mike Parker more recently. However, apart from having a shareholding in the football club, the Supporters Trust has no other finance to keep bringing into the club to support it.

Fenty wont put any more cash in and neither will Parker. Why would they when they are now minority shareholders. So where is this much needed money going to come from in the future?

Don't missunderstand me, I actually wanted Fenty out even though he has put plenty of money in over the years. However I wanted him replaced with somebody that had the financial clout to carry on supporting us and I hoped this would be Mike Parker. But the Supporters Trust is practically penny-less. Having shares in the business means nothing at all. It is just a paper figure. What we needed was somebody to come in with cash behind them.

I actually think that by accepting the free share offer, that the Supporters Trust have actually made a bad move and one that could see the end of GTFC. They should have refused the offer of the shares from Mike Parker which would have left him no choices other than to keep his shares and abide by shareholding laws.
Logged Offline
Private Message
StiggsGTFC
October 4, 2011, 5:02pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +41
Quoted from Career Underdogs
I am really concerned for the future of GTFC following the gift of £500k of share to them by Mike Parker.

The Supporters Trust is now the biggest shareholder. Year after year Fenty has had to put money into the club in order for it to survive and so has Mike Parker more recently. However, apart from having a shareholding in the football club, the Supporters Trust has no other finance to keep bringing into the club to support it.

Fenty wont put any more cash in and neither will Parker. Why would they when they are now minority shareholders. So where is this much needed money going to come from in the future?

Don't missunderstand me, I actually wanted Fenty out even though he has put plenty of money in over the years. However I wanted him replaced with somebody that had the financial clout to carry on supporting us and I hoped this would be Mike Parker. But the Supporters Trust is practically penny-less. Having shares in the business means nothing at all. It is just a paper figure. What we needed was somebody to come in with cash behind them.

[I actually think that by accepting the free share offer, that the Supporters Trust have actually made a bad move and one that could see the end of GTFC. They should have refused the offer of the shares from Mike Parker which would have left him no choices other than to keep his shares and abide by shareholding laws[/b].

Totally agree, and Parker has made a total ar5e of himself. Why on earth did he buy the shares in the first place.

Methinks he has had his bluff called by Fenty and got cold feet. Where we go from here is anybodys guess. but it sure aint looking good.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 68
Marinerz93
October 4, 2011, 5:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.55
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1

I actually think that by accepting the free share offer, that the Supporters Trust have actually made a bad move and one that could see the end of GTFC. They should have refused the offer of the shares from Mike Parker which would have left him no choices other than to keep his shares and abide by shareholding laws.

One fella is skilled tradesman the other did one good job once many moons ago but has been crap ever since, I know who I would want to repair my car.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 68
gaz57
October 4, 2011, 5:20pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +993
Gold Stars: 3
If GTST did'nt keep the shares who's to say Parker would'nt give them to someone else and then the supporters would have no chance of a say in the future.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 68
crusty ole pie
October 4, 2011, 5:22pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,398
Gold Stars: 66
Now let's do some maths once apon a time fenty had 46% and Parker had 52% shares in our club and for unknown reason both threw their toys out of the pram and Parker gives 50% of his shares away leaving mr f still with 46% mr p 21% and the trust with 22ish % now how does that make them the major shareholder
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 68
forza ivano
October 4, 2011, 5:40pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,305
Gold Stars: 266

don't agree with your last para c.u. , but what you said first of all has to be a real worry. the trust really needs to have gtfc fans with them and behind them, instead of carping from the sidelines and doing feck all, like they usually do. of course 1 thing we don't know is a) whehether fenty and/or parker will refuse to fund the club anymore (which neither has categorically said and b) whether there are other people, who we don't know about, who may be getting interested now that scenario has changed so drastically
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 68
sands
October 4, 2011, 5:41pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +0 / -7
fenty tried to get some money back by trying to get parker to buy him out, he failed cos parker wont fund the club long term as proven with the off loading of the shares.In short the hope parker provided has gone and as others above have said the club without quick success could easily fold
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 68
forza ivano
October 4, 2011, 5:45pm

Exile
Quoted from crusty ole pie
Now let's do some maths once apon a time fenty had 46% and Parker had 52% shares in our club and for unknown reason both threw their toys out of the pram and Parker gives 50% of his shares away leaving mr f still with 46% mr p 21% and the trust with 22ish % now how does that make them the major shareholder

fenty didn't have 46% coz there were 250,000 shares floating about in others hands. i think now the trust and parker have c 57% between them (the trust had 22,000 shares anyway), the 'others' have c 14%, so fenty has c29%. i think that's right but am open to being corrected!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 68
jock dock tower
October 4, 2011, 5:52pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Why, oh why, are people concerned that two people whose egos outweighed their benefit to the club look like having no more to do with the club? I certainly don't believe it's all over yet as far as Parker and Fenty are concerned because one thing they both have in common as businessmen is that they're ruthless b@stards who would sell their grannies for a quid - this ain't over yet. Were it to be then hopefully we would rise phoenix like a la Wrexham this season, or Bournemouth, Wimbledon and others in the recent past with fans in control of the club. Roll on the good times.........

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 68
Kris Mustampa
October 4, 2011, 6:08pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +12 / -12
I certainly dont expect us ever to reach the situation where the fans run the club but equally feel the Trust (and the fans) have a significant part to play going forward.

I have no idea as to the % of who owns what but my guess is forza ivano isnt too far away from the truth.

It seems every man and his dog seems to know what the motives and targets are of both JF and MP when, in truth, I dont think anyone really knows. Even sonik may know what John tells him but he seems a little brainwashed although i understand totally why he is so protective.

We, as fans may never know the truth so we have a choice. We can carry on fearing the worst, worrying and dreaming of all manner of conspiracy theories which may or may not have a degree of foundation.

The alternative is to try and collate our collective views and support and mould ourselves into a genuine voice.

I havent joined the Trust previously but have downloaded the forms this afternoon and intend to jon tomorrow.

Do you want a say or do you prefer to sit and moan. The choices really are that stark!

PS The title of this thread sums up the misplaced opinions but also bears little resemblance to the opening post?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 68
moosey_club
October 4, 2011, 6:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,338
Gold Stars: 229
Ok Ok.....here is my latest theory..

No place on the board but does the shareholding stand for 27% of the voting rights at the forthcoming AGM? If so then could a GTST/Parker cooalition sweep the current board out of power and elect themselves with a new mode of operating ?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 68
supertown
October 4, 2011, 6:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,483
Gold Stars: 53
Im sure it said on Radio humb that JF and MP now have an equal amount of shares
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 68
hertfordshire mariner
October 4, 2011, 7:01pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +34
Quoted from supertown
Im sure it said on Radio humb that JF and MP now have an equal amount of shares

you are right, it did say that

"Form a string quartet, and pretend your name is Keith"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 68
kingofthekippers
October 4, 2011, 7:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +39 / -4
Approval: +6

Ancient Chinese proverb say 'Be careful what you wish for, you may just get it'.

Mr McGee, don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 68
marinerian
October 4, 2011, 8:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +33 / -16
Approval: +15
why do the idiots have such a problem with GTST. FFS the Trust would give the supporters a real voice, yet those morons who criticise have no real alternatives.

UP THE MARINERS
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 68
GrimRob
October 4, 2011, 8:36pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,473
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from marinerian
why do the idiots have such a problem with GTST. FFS the Trust would give the supporters a real voice, yet those morons who criticise have no real alternatives.

It's not voices we need though it's money  

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 15 - 68
marinerian
October 4, 2011, 8:40pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob

Well who else is willing to put money in? Maybe the Trust could have people with good contacts that could attract interest.

Gier is happy to show us off to Norway for example.

All is not lost.

UP THE MARINERS
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 68
Rodley Mariner
October 4, 2011, 8:43pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,279
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from marinerian

Could be worth a go - those Norwegians bought Wimbledon didn't they? I forget how it panned out but assume it was pretty successful.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 68
GrimRob
October 4, 2011, 8:43pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,473
Gold Stars: 115
The Bank of England have never replied to my proposal

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 18 - 68
mariner91
October 4, 2011, 8:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,838
Gold Stars: 264
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

Could be worth a go - those Norwegians bought Wimbledon didn't they? I forget how it panned out but assume it was pretty successful.

Chuckle .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 68
marinerian
October 4, 2011, 9:01pm

Barley Wine Drinker

Was until The Penguin got his wallet out  

UP THE MARINERS
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 68
80sglory
October 4, 2011, 9:19pm
Guest User
Quoted from moosey_club
If so then could a GTST/Parker cooalition sweep the current board out of power and elect themselves with a new mode of operating ?

I'll give you 66/1.  

Quoted from forza ivano
and b) whether there are other people, who we don't know about, who may be getting interested now that scenario has changed so drastically

I'm sure there will be.

Reply: 21 - 68
kingofthekippers
October 4, 2011, 9:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from marinerian

Well who else is willing to put money in? Maybe the Trust could have people with good contacts that could attract interest.

All is not lost.

I admire your optimism but not much else.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 68
marinerian
October 4, 2011, 9:38pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from kingofthekippers

I admire your optimism but not much else.

If no one comes in what else can be done. Really not worth stressing over at this moment in time.

UP THE MARINERS
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 68
mariner2000
October 4, 2011, 9:42pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +176
Gold Stars: 5
I think there are some very good points, the trust accepting the money is a very bad idea, one which may well leave us with no income into the club and mp and jf blaming other shareholders for not investing.

as for the trust introducing new money why should their increased shareholding change something they have failed to do so far.

How many people would prefer the board position from 2 months ago.....
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 24 - 68
kingofthekippers
October 4, 2011, 9:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from marinerian

If no one comes in what else can be done. Really not worth stressing over at this moment in time.

I'm not stressed about it. Far from it. In fact I'm resigned to the inevitable.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 68
Rich Boy
October 4, 2011, 9:51pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +1 / -22
Not everybody trusts the trust. Are the people who used to be on the GTST board still there? These are the people that the fans do not trust. If the supporters trust wants to gain some credibility they should have a clear out.  Lets see if those people with the big egos can let it go?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 68
psgmariner
October 4, 2011, 9:57pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.68
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Rich Boy
Not everybody trusts the trust. Are the people who used to be on the GTST board still there? These are the people that the fans do not trust. If the supporters trust wants to gain some credibility they should have a clear out.  Lets see if those people with the big egos can let it go?

You are entitled to your opinion but I just don't get what could make you or anyone else suspicious of the GTST set up. Care to elaborate?

Private Message
Reply: 27 - 68
mariner2000
October 4, 2011, 9:59pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +176
Gold Stars: 5
Interesting that there is no mention on the OS - shows how highly the club rate the news!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 28 - 68
promotion plaice
October 4, 2011, 10:00pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,083
Gold Stars: 201
Why not offer these shares to any new investor willing to invest in the club long term. Any default and shares returned to GTST.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 68
Marinerz93
October 4, 2011, 11:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.55
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from promotion plaice
Why not offer these shares to any new investor willing to invest in the club long term. Any default and shares returned to GTST.

Probably because they don't want to pay Fenty £2 million for his mistakes.  MP was the man to move this club forward and look how he has been treated.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 68
STB
October 4, 2011, 11:18pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Ram the big boy investors, it hasn't worked.
Local lads playing and being paid as as part timers, 1200 fans per game needed to break even, gates of at least 2000, result, a bit of profit and a chance of progression - see Braintree for details.  

Former lover of all things GTFC . . .
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 68
petethemariner
October 4, 2011, 11:57pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from STB
Ram the big boy investors, it hasn't worked.
Local lads playing and being paid as as part timers, 1200 fans per game needed to break even, gates of at least 2000, result, a bit of profit and a chance of progression - see Braintree for details.  

Ideal plan if it would work STB, unfortunately it wouldn't! We are an outpost as far as football is concerned, we do not have the catchment area of say Leeds, Nottingham or Manchester - you know, quality players who have escaped the pro net - i used to  play at a reasonable standard, nothing brilliant, but  light years better than the standard round here now ,i look around here at the standard of our local teams and it makes me despair, mostly egos turning up when they feel like it, not turning up when they haven't had their tints/perms, or nights on the urine* delete where necessary* i cannot even bring myself to watch them, let alone even try to coach them!
Local lads (with a few exceptions, granted) would spell the end i fear.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 68
October 5, 2011, 12:15am
Guest User
I fear the trust will be stuck in the middle of Fenty and Parker, each wanting the trust to be "on thier side".
Reply: 33 - 68
petethemariner
October 5, 2011, 12:23am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Let me back up my last post with i think a  few relevant facts - re-emerging, re-vamped clubs come from good
footballing areas - FC United of Manchester can have the pick of the failed Pros around probably a dozen decent clubs, AFC Halifax can have the pick of the failed pros around the Leeds/Bradford  area, AFC Wimbledon have the catchment area of fringe pros from the many  London clubs, we do not have that luxury,
there is nothing around here, sorry,  but with all respect to the Gy Boro players/Clee Town players it would have us at NE Counties (Maybe Prem)standard at best.
It doesn't give me any pleasure in the slightest to post this.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 68
BIGChris
October 5, 2011, 7:43am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.96
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from petethemariner

Ideal plan if it would work STB, unfortunately it wouldn't! We are an outpost as far as football is concerned, we do not have the catchment area of say Leeds, Nottingham or Manchester - you know, quality players who have escaped the pro net - i used to  play at a reasonable standard, nothing brilliant, but  light years better than the standard round here now ,i look around here at the standard of our local teams and it makes me despair, mostly egos turning up when they feel like it, not turning up when they haven't had their tints/perms, or nights on the urine* delete where necessary* i cannot even bring myself to watch them, let alone even try to coach them!

100% agree.

AFCW are a fine example but there are at least a 100 semi pro clubs within their catchment area. They had the pick of that cream. We have precisley nowt!

Private Message
Reply: 35 - 68
STB
October 5, 2011, 8:58am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from petethemariner

Its the few exceptions we need to employ !
I watched the Clee Town V GY Borough rezzies last night and there were quite a few on that pitch that looked capable of playing at what I've seen of GTFC's current level.
If there is no cash injection, this seems the only viable alternative.

Private Message
Reply: 36 - 68
BIGChris
October 5, 2011, 9:02am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.96
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from STB

Its the few exceptions we need to employ !
I watched the Clee Town V GY Borough rezzies last night and there were quite a few on that pitch that looked capable of playing at what I've seen of GTFC's current level.
If there is no cash injection, this seems the only viable alternative.

All due respect STB but that standard is a million miles away from even the low level GTFC now play.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 68
forza ivano
October 5, 2011, 9:10am

Exile
Quoted from Rich Boy

LETS TAKE THIS VERY SLOWLY RICH BOY! every membe rof the Trust has an equal vote. They vote the people onto the trust board. I think the present chair has clearly said on several occasions that she is more than willing to pass the reins on to a new set of enthusiastic supporters - indeed this was one of the main reasons that the meeting was held on Saturday (and did get a number of new people coming forward to volunteer their services) Therefore if you feel that things need to be changed, then it can be done very easily. You and your fellow minded souls join the Trust and argue your case. I hope you can get your head round the concept and that you're not the one of those typical gtfc fans who moan about anything and everything but do feck all about it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 68
STB
October 5, 2011, 9:11am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from BIGChris

All due respect STB but that standard is a million miles away from even the low level GTFC now play.

You've probably seen a lot more at both levels Chris so I respect your judgement.
Luke Mascall looked a class act to me and I was impressed with Luke Beecham.
Brad Beattie in the Borough goal looked brilliant and despite only leaving school in May gave a superb performance.
Maybe they are miles away from GTFC's standard but it was better to watch than many games I've seen at BP.

Private Message
Reply: 39 - 68
marinerian
October 5, 2011, 9:27am

Barley Wine Drinker
It is a shame GTFC and GY Borough can't work together, town loaning them youth team or reserve players, keep fitness up etc, some games would be better than a few games here and there for our young fringe players?

UP THE MARINERS
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 68
Rich Boy
October 5, 2011, 9:27am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +1 / -22
OK. Can anyone from GTST confirm whether Trust funds were used to sponsor Town games in the past?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 68
psgmariner
October 5, 2011, 9:36am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.68
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Rich Boy
OK. Can anyone from GTST confirm whether Trust funds were used to sponsor Town games in the past?

Think it was Youth sponsorship they concentrated on.

Private Message
Reply: 42 - 68
dapperz fun pub
October 5, 2011, 9:43am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,067
Gold Stars: 84
Quoted from STB

You've probably seen a lot more at both levels Chris so I respect your judgement.
Brad Beattie in the Borough goal looked brilliant and despite only leaving school in May gave a superb performance.
Maybe they are miles away from GTFC's standard but it was better to watch than many games I've seen at BP.

how would you know the current standard if you currently dont go?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 68
STB
October 5, 2011, 10:16am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

how would you know the current standard if you currently dont go?

Went to the Fleetwood game and watched the one on television.
I did go to another game at BP this season when my lad was at his mate's BP party but I didn't really watch the match as I was talking to a (former) chairman for most of it!
The most recent spell of games I watched was 33 from the Woods' relegation season which unfortunately are fresh in my mind.
Hope that clears it up for you Dappy.  

Private Message
Reply: 44 - 68
marinerian
October 5, 2011, 10:23am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from STB

Went to the Fleetwood game and watched the one on television.
I did go to another game at BP this season when my lad was at his mate's BP party but I didn't really watch the match as I was talking to a (former) chairman for most of it!
The most recent spell of games I watched was 33 from the Woods' relegation season which unfortunately are fresh in my mind.
Hope that clears it up for you Dappy.  

Having been to one game and listened to several online, it does sound like Town are battling much better and playing some good football, hopefuly Duffy,Elding and Hearne can keep finding the net. The season isn't lost yet, just need a good run of games with out defeat, say a nice 15 match run of 12 wins and 3 draws would be very helpful  

UP THE MARINERS
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 68
marinerjase
October 5, 2011, 10:28am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,713
Gold Stars: 156
I'd also argue there's a decent gap between the Conference and Clee Town standard. May not seem like it when you watch Town play mind , but the gulf is there.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 68
flash1
October 5, 2011, 10:30am
rather be a codhead than a scunt
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +21 / -9
Quoted from marinerian

Having been to one game and listened to several online, it does sound like Town are battling much better and playing some good football, hopefuly Duffy,Elding and Hearne can keep finding the net. The season isn't lost yet, just need a good run of games with out defeat, say a nice 15 match run of 12 wins and 3 draws would be very helpful  

thats one more than most on the fishy ian!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 68
STB
October 5, 2011, 1:52pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from marinerjase
I'd also argue there's a decent gap between the Conference and Clee Town standard. May not seem like it when you watch Town play mind , but the gulf is there.

You're probably right Jase, I'm just trying to see a way forward without relying on someone pumping money in with no chance of a return.

Private Message
Reply: 48 - 68
forza ivano
October 5, 2011, 4:25pm

Exile
Quoted from marinerjase

You're quite right - just look at the gap there is between the those fully professional BSP teams and small village teams like Chasetown

or maybe not............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 68
Career Underdogs
October 5, 2011, 4:28pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from crusty ole pie

Your stats are wrong
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 68
Career Underdogs
October 5, 2011, 4:30pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from marinerian

A voice? This club does not need a voice it needs hard cash !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 68
Career Underdogs
October 5, 2011, 4:38pm
Table Wine Drinker
Listen it is a simple fact : - The Trust now owns the majority of the shares. The shares are a non-tangiable paper figure that just means they own X% of the football club. But that means absolutely nothing.

In order for the football club to survive, it relies heavily on cash injections from outside. This has been in the manner of Mike Parker and John Fenty. They very clearly will not put any further amounts of money into the club, only a fool can fail to see this.

So then you have to look for other shareholders to put the much needed money in. But The Supporters Trust doesn't have money.

This all adds up to an incredible disaster trail.

We actually need a new very rich person to come in like Fenty and Parker did, to acquire shares and put money in and take their turn at steering the football club back to prosperity. I fear that there isn't this person out there.

Summary - The Supporters Trust has absolutely nothing tangiable to bring to the table apart from well meaning lovers of the club with no financial substance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 68
flash1
October 5, 2011, 4:41pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +21 / -9
Listen it is a simple fact : - The Trust now owns the majority of the shares. The shares are a non-tangiable paper figure that just means they own X% of the football club. But that means absolutely nothing.

In order for the football club to survive, it relies heavily on cash injections from outside. This has been in the manner of Mike Parker and John Fenty. They very clearly will not put any further amounts of money into the club, only a fool can fail to see this.

So then you have to look for other shareholders to put the much needed money in. But The Supporters Trust doesn't have money.

We actually need a new very rich person to come in like Fenty and Parker did, to acquire shares and put money in and take their turn at steering the football club back to prosperity. I fear that there isn't this person out there.

Summary - The Supporters Trust has absolutely nothing tangiable to bring to the table apart from well meaning lovers of the club with no financial substance.

l,m not so sure!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 68
Shiver
October 5, 2011, 5:05pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09

An even simpler fact is that 27% is NOT a majority, it might be the highest single holding but that doesn't make it a majority.

You say it's obvious no-one else will put money in, however, holding these shares meant Parker would end up being forced (by the take over panel) to buy up Fenty's shares (and/or others) which would get Fenty some money back and let him leave. Fenty and the board had to agree to allow this share exchange to happen, so Fenty has let Mike Parker walk away in effect, when he/they could have refused to allow the share transfer meaning Parker would have had to buy up more shares (probably). So why let him do that if Fenty isn't planning to continue controlling GTFC?

Quoted from aaron rattray
as i said we have known each other since before i was born
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 68
0ld timer
October 5, 2011, 5:11pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +3
Quoted from STB

i hope brad is taller than his old man  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 68
forza ivano
October 5, 2011, 5:20pm

Exile
Quoted from 0ld timer

he couldn't be any shorter
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 68
forza ivano
October 5, 2011, 5:35pm

Exile
Listen it is a simple fact : - The Trust now owns the majority of the shares.
OH dear, where do we start with this? basic year 7 maths?? 27% does not represent a majority; anything above 50% represents a majority

The shares are a non-tangiable paper figure that just means they own X% of the football club. But that means absolutely nothing.
WRONG AGAIN! it means that the trust is amongst the biggest, if not the biggest, shareholder. That means that at an AGM they represent the most powerful voice and in all probability will be the deal maker or breaker. It would be nigh on impossible for the club to be run without taking account of the views of the majority shareholders. I think most sane individuals would agree that this equates to a little more power and influence than 'absolutely nothing'

In order for the football club to survive, it relies heavily on cash injections from outside. This has been in the manner of Mike Parker and John Fenty.
maybe that has been the case, butit  does not mean to say that it has to be the way in the future. I'm sure by looking at the div 1 & 2 tables and comparing the average attendances there will be a host of examples of more successful, better run clubs with less financial resources than ourselves.
They very clearly will not put any further amounts of money into the club, only a fool can fail to see this.
WRONG AGAIN! if you actually read their statements they have NOT categorically said this - both have left themselves 'wriggle room' and I suspect that neither would be want to be cast as the villain of the piece who condemned gtfc to the annals of history

maybe not at present, but who knows what a concerted effort might produce - nearly 40 years ago £12,000 was raised within a week or 2 to buy Joe waters and more recently £50,000 was contributed in a similar timescale for the enhancement of Ivano's bank balance

Who knows who might be out there - 1 or 2 people may now be interested, given the changed political/shareholder landscape, to get involved in the club

time will tell CU, time will tell...

PS sorry it was like a 80s gloryhole post, but there was so much wrong with this, it merited dissection!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 68
STB
October 5, 2011, 5:45pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from 0ld timer

Brad is 4 times the height of his diminutive, ginger father.

Private Message
Reply: 58 - 68
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 5, 2011, 7:07pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from STB

It's true that many local players are capable of playing at GTFC level - for half a game. That is where the difference comes and why so few lads make it through the ranks to the first team. They can be decent players but they are not good enough often enough.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 68
STB
October 5, 2011, 7:32pm

Whiskey Drinker

It's true that many local players are capable of playing at GTFC level - for half a game. That is where the difference comes and why so few lads make it through the ranks to the first team. They can be decent players but they are not good enough often enough.

So if the skill level is there, they need work on their fitness and stamina, the opposite of Makofo.

Private Message
Reply: 60 - 68
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 5, 2011, 7:45pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from STB

So if the skill level is there, they need work on their fitness and stamina, the opposite of Makofo.

Well ..... sort of. I think Chris would back me here that while fitness and stamina do matter they are not as important as the mental bit. That's why players fade in and out of matches, make bad decisions, lose track of the game. Lots of promising kids have purple patches but the question is whether they can keep it up for a full game, week in-week out ............ plus have the right attitude off the field.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 68
80sglory
October 5, 2011, 10:41pm
Guest User
Quoted from forza ivano
PS sorry it was like a 80s gloryhole post, but there was so much wrong with this, it merited dissection!

Keep those digs coming.  

forza say what you like I don't mind but just remember it's (Y)OUR club that's going down the plughole and YOU'RE the one that's likely soon gonna be stumping up YOUR extra money for no real reason except to
a) pay for the chairmanship of the man who bollocksed it all up in the first place before he resigned
b) keep the club afloat for a little while longer (with a view to doing it indefinitely I'd guess)

But of course it's all worthwhile because "you'll get a real say on the day to day running of GTFC" won't you ?

I'm sure Fenty, Chapman and Elstrom are really quaking in their boots under one member one vote !

Have it your way.

Quoted from forza ivano
Who knows who might be out there - 1 or 2 people may now be interested, given the changed political/shareholder landscape, to get involved in the club

With GTST and Fenty in voting coalition ?!
Hope I'm wrong but I very much doubt it.

I guess you know what's gonna happen and why.
I really hope Parker isn't necessarily out of this and just personally, I guess he isn't.
Especially when fans might gamble their hard earnt money on the strength of the current board setup to gain the success we desperately need to keep the club afloat long term.

An away win against Mansfield and who knows, maybe it IS the right time to stick our money in.  

But personally I don't think a "let's keep afloat" strategy alone will work indefinitely- think it's like sellotaping over holes in a ship.  

Obviously there's always a chance and I'd love to be proved wrong so my sincerest best of luck to all who "show willing" and "step up to the plate".

Or maybe I should say good luck Rob and Paul cos if the day is saved for us all, it'll most likely be THEM who do most of the saving....

Talking of saving I'm glad no-one took my crap advice to start saving in case of any emergency so well done to all who chose to disagree for the sake of it simply because it was me.  
Reply: 62 - 68
TWAreaTownSupporter
October 5, 2011, 11:36pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Quoted from mariner2000
Interesting that there is no mention on the OS - shows how highly the club rate the news!!!

Yes, cos back in the old days  Pravda was always banging on about how good the Apollo programme was, what excellent machines IBM was making available to the average American.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 68
TWAreaTownSupporter
October 5, 2011, 11:38pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from STB

And what about that lad Andy Taylor? CDAJATL!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 68
TWAreaTownSupporter
October 5, 2011, 11:44pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Kris Mustampa
I certainly dont expect us ever to reach the situation where the fans run the club but equally feel the Trust (and the fans) have a significant part to play going forward.

I have no idea as to the % of who owns what but my guess is forza ivano isnt too far away from the truth.

It seems every man and his dog seems to know what the motives and targets are of both JF and MP when, in truth, I dont think anyone really knows. Even sonik may know what John tells him but he seems a little brainwashed although i understand totally why he is so protective.

We, as fans may never know the truth so we have a choice. We can carry on fearing the worst, worrying and dreaming of all manner of conspiracy theories which may or may not have a degree of foundation.

The alternative is to try and collate our collective views and support and mould ourselves into a genuine voice.

I havent joined the Trust previously but have downloaded the forms this afternoon and intend to jon tomorrow.

Do you want a say or do you prefer to sit and moan. The choices really are that stark!

PS The title of this thread sums up the misplaced opinions but also bears little resemblance to the opening post?

Spot on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 68
TWAreaTownSupporter
October 5, 2011, 11:45pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob

I think we need some brains. Someone's been throwing money at the club for years and look where it's got us.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 68
TWAreaTownSupporter
October 5, 2011, 11:53pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from mariner2000
I think there are some very good points, the trust accepting the money is a very bad idea, one which may well leave us with no income into the club and mp and jf blaming other shareholders for not investing.

as for the trust introducing new money why should their increased shareholding change something they have failed to do so far.

How many people would prefer the board position from 2 months ago.....

I can't see the logic of this idea that it's bad for the club. Parker and Fenty had already signalled the end of their largesse before Parker donated the shares. So we're no worse off.

Possibly the opposite. Parker was faced with the stark choice of splurging hundreds of thousands on buying everyone else out because he went over the 51% mark. Now he's not facing that he might have some spare cash, purely as a one-off to keep the club afloat this season. (hopefully   )

There wll be trouble ahead, but the club has been living beyond its means for years. This was going to happen whoever owns the shares.

Look at what was achieved at Exeter. Years of hard work by dedicated supporters kept the club going until they hit lucky in the Cup.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 68
dapperz fun pub
October 6, 2011, 8:34am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,067
Gold Stars: 84

I think we need some brains. Someone's been throwing money at the club for years and look where it's got us.

it depends whos throwing the money and i cant remember crawley being a footballing force untill recently
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 68
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Supporters Trust - The End of GTFC

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.