This thread currently has 2,815 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Super Clive
September 22, 2011, 3:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
Could we see one of these involved in the future of GTFC ? I know some clubs have there local council or college involved in some capacity, I know the ain't many fans of our local council but could be worth thinking about with help towards a new stadium and so on I can't remember which clubs have gone down this route Donny have but any more?

If the worsed happened and we was to go under would the council step in ? My first thoughts would be no but you never know untill it happens.
Private Message
Rodley Mariner
September 22, 2011, 4:09pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from Super Clive
Could we see one of these involved in the future of GTFC ? I know some clubs have there local council or college involved in some capacity, I know the ain't many fans of our local council but could be worth thinking about with help towards a new stadium and so on I can't remember which clubs have gone down this route Donny have but any more?

If the worsed happened and we was to go under would the council step in ? My first thoughts would be no but you never know untill it happens.

I know at the moment councils generally have lots of surplus cash that they're just desperate to get rid of. I'm sure they'll knock us up a ground and cover any operating shortfall, no problem at all.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 29
STB
September 22, 2011, 4:13pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Between 2 and 3% of the local population can still be @rsed to watch town, I doubt if any 'investor' would be interested.

Former lover of all things GTFC . . .
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 29
Super Clive
September 22, 2011, 4:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

I know at the moment councils generally have lots of surplus cash that they're just desperate to get rid of. I'm sure they'll knock us up a ground and cover any operating shortfall, no problem at all.

As simple as that yeah?  

I know its a long shot but was just a suggestion if the worsed possible happens, but surely a football club in a town of this size would be in the councils interests and the local economy?

As i said was just a suggestion, be prepared for the worsed is my slogan.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 29
BiloLCFC
September 22, 2011, 4:16pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

[img]http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/3800000/Sarcasm-Motivational-Poster-house-md-3805895-500-400.jpg[/img]

[img]http://m0.ttxm.co.uk/images/feeds/pa/news/2011/05/18/460x259/N0537981305713203727A.jpg[/img]
When You're Smiling...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 29
BiloLCFC
September 22, 2011, 4:22pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Private investment is perhaps the best hope, a successful GTFC would have serious potential.

You need only look at Dull, who have progressed from near-bankruptcy as a fourth tier club playing in a dump to a club regularly drawing attendances of 20k plus in a shiny new ground. You could say similar things about Reading, but they had a sugar daddy every step of the way.

The council could kick you off by assisting in the building of a new stadium but I daresay you're two or three years too late for that with councils reining in spending, I can't imagine a KC/Keepmoat style 'Community Stadium' is top of NEL Council's list of priorities at this moment in time.

[img]http://m0.ttxm.co.uk/images/feeds/pa/news/2011/05/18/460x259/N0537981305713203727A.jpg[/img]
When You're Smiling...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 29
Super Clive
September 22, 2011, 4:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Lets be honest does anyone actually have a plan if the club goes under or is in serious threat? obviously we don't know what Parker and fentys real plans are all we know is the balderdash that has been made public in the media.

IMO we need to be a few steps ahead if where serious about keeping GTFC afloat and that could involve many factors, I will be honest and say I don't have the know how to get these plans drawn up but we could have a discussion about it and get the ball rolling throwing ideas into the mix, that could be from the council down to fun runs and event days to raise cash.

No body knows if we will go under or not but a back up plan is surly worth having even if its a shite one, GTFC is worth fighting for IMO and us the fans are the be all and end all, no fans no club .
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 29
jamesgtfc
September 22, 2011, 4:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Our college is in trouble and so is the Institute.

The new building is wholly funded by Higher Education and as such only university students can access it.

There is also a new principal there whose phrase appears to be "if you don't like it, don't come." Before you say it, this is actually driving out the good staff and the decent students. Although under Mr Khan the college was nothing spectacular, it is going to get a whole lot worse under the new principle who is on a cost cutting exercise.

As for NELC, they couldn't give a monkeys about about football locally.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 29
cmackenzie4
September 22, 2011, 4:50pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.24
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from Super Clive
Lets be honest does anyone actually have a plan if the club goes under or is in serious threat? obviously we don't know what Parker and fentys real plans are all we know is the balderdash that has been made public in the media.

IMO we need to be a few steps ahead if where serious about keeping GTFC afloat and that could involve many factors, I will be honest and say I don't have the know how to get these plans drawn up but we could have a discussion about it and get the ball rolling throwing ideas into the mix, that could be from the council down to fun runs and event days to raise cash.

No body knows if we will go under or not but a back up plan is surly worth having even if its a shite one, GTFC is worth fighting for IMO and us the fans are the be all and end all, no fans no club .

If the worst case scenario did come true,would we still have a fishy ?  

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 29
aldi_01
September 22, 2011, 5:46pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Why would a backwards thinking, useless, no hope council who have cost gtfc money over the years and shown little support for the club aslong as ive supported them (20 years) so why would they give a excrement now?

With government cutbacks in all levels of education and a new principal who is selling off crap that the college bought/were given/ 'found' under Kahn to recoup some cash, they also wouldn't be interested, well I can't see it anyway.

Private investment is the best we can hope for but is there anyone daft enough to do it?

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 29
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › N.E.L Council and or college

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.