6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Super Clive
September 21, 2011, 10:57am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
Quoted from biggles9999
I might be wrong but wasnt Parker part of the board at the time?

Therefore he could have had a vote for Woods also...

As i understand it he did and was in favour of woods and had a say when woods got sacked
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 55
biggles9999
September 21, 2011, 11:04am
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Thats what I thought,

So it wasnt just Fenty and Furneaux trying appoint Woods but both of the big money men in the club (Parker/Fenty).

Please lets not think that our last couple of seasons is purely Fenty.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 55
petethemariner
September 21, 2011, 11:12am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from biggles9999
Thats what I thought,

So it wasnt just Fenty and Furneaux trying appoint Woods but both of the big money men in the club (Parker/Fenty).

Please lets not think that our last couple of seasons is purely Fenty.

Yes but money does not come into it in the GTFC boardroom in the present constitution, 1 director, 1 vote,  particularly when JF has his voting 'puppets' on his side - if MP was there and i'm not sure if he was or wasn't, how could Parker  out vote Fenty, with Furneaux / Elsom/Chapman all singning from the JF songbook?
Only Parker will know if he approved the NW appointment or not.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 55
RonMariner
September 21, 2011, 11:20am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,818
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Chris

No no no, he left Brighton exactly where he found them, just above the relegation zone and was then sacked. Orient likewise although he did musch better last season. They are firmly bottom of the pile this season and at most places he'd have been sacked by now (although not something I would agree with)- 10 games without a win and 8 defeats.

I don't think you ar right about that. I could be wrong but I recall that Brighton were virtually dead and buried when he took over and he saved them with a string run in? Anyway he avoided relagtion two years running with relegation threatened teams. That much is beyond dispute.

Anyway, it's all futile now. The point is though, and I said this at the time, when the stakes are as high as they were do you go for experience or inexperience? It was a massive gamble and it failed.

I have always thought that it is easier to avoid relegation than to get promotion from the leaugue below.  Normaly there is not much of a difference in quality between the bottom half of one division and the top half of the division below. To avoid relegation you need relatively few good results beacause those around you drop points most weeks. However, to get promoted you can only afford relatively few bad results as those around you pick up points most weeks.  So it was absolutely vital to avoid the drop and with an experienced manager it was far from impossible.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 55
cleethorpes_mariner
September 21, 2011, 12:32pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +313
So Fenty agreed terms with Russell Slade before the Board meeting. (you jump to conclusion merchants) Can’t you see he favoured Russell or why would he do that?
I know for a fact there wasn’t a vote, a consensus was reached with John Elsom and Michael Chapman who both wanted Russell Slade, debate ensued and others were persuaded by Mike Parker and Peter Furneaux who were up for Neil Woods. There wasn’t a vote and Fenty didn’t vote if someone asks him I am sure that’s the case.
To many Mikes, the story has differing interpretations depending who you dislike!!!
So you blaming the wrong man
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 55
Mariner_501
September 21, 2011, 1:09pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +14 / -8
Approval: +223
Gold Stars: 28
When I emailed Fenty when Woods was appointed asking why we clearly went for the cheap option he said it was down to football not financial. Yeah right, Mr Fenty. Lies, lies and more lies. I genuinely believe if Slade was appointed we would not be here now. Thanks for everything John
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 55
headingly_mariner
September 21, 2011, 1:24pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 120
So Fenty agreed terms with Russell Slade before the Board meeting. (you jump to conclusion merchants) Can’t you see he favoured Russell or why would he do that?
I know for a fact there wasn’t a vote, a consensus was reached with John Elsom and Michael Chapman who both wanted Russell Slade, debate ensued and others were persuaded by Mike Parker and Peter Furneaux who were up for Neil Woods. There wasn’t a vote and Fenty didn’t vote if someone asks him I am sure that’s the case.
To many Mikes, the story has differing interpretations depending who you dislike!!!
So you blaming the wrong man

It is clear that Fenty went for woods as if he had voted of slade, slade would have been manager.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 55
FishOutOfWater
September 21, 2011, 1:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,578
Gold Stars: 37
I've been trying to find the GT article at the time Woods was appointed but for some reason it's seemingly not available any more

Anyone else recall these words though...

"After a raft of applications for the manager's post, the board of directors dismissed the journeyman and those that are likely to get itchy feet during the contract"

And Fenty is trying to make out that he had no active part to play in the decision not to appoint Slade? I think not!
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 37 - 55
Simariner
September 21, 2011, 1:38pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.46
Rep Score: +29 / -4
Approval: +505
Quoted from Chris

PLENTY of people DIDN'T WANT SLADE BACK!!!!!!!

Plenty of people didn't want Woods in.

Any decision that was made was divided.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 38 - 55
Super Clive
September 21, 2011, 1:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
Quoted from FishOutOfWater
I've been trying to find the GT article at the time Woods was appointed but for some reason it's seemingly not available any more

Anyone else recall these words though...

"After a raft of applications for the manager's post, the board of directors dismissed the journeyman and those that are likely to get itchy feet during the contract"

And Fenty is trying to make out that he had no active part to play in the decision not to appoint Slade? I think not!

http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/New-town-manager-unveiled/story-11548069-detail/story.html
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 55
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fenty - Woods was cheap option

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.