Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +53 / -18
Approval: +8,960
Gold Stars: 239
http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/story-13372811-detail/story.html

Quoted Text
DEPARTING Grimsby Town chairman John Fenty has defended his record of appointing six managers in just seven years at the helm.

Mr Fenty has often been criticised by Town followers for something of a 'trigger-happy' approach to changing manager.

But he says every appointment was made with the best interests of the club in mind.

He has revealed, however, the board was originally split over the decision to appoint Neil Woods from within rather than re-appoint Russell Slade in 2009.

Speaking exclusively to the Telegraph following his decision to step down, Mr Fenty said: "It was my job, as chairman, to make contact and collate information about prospective managers and give the board an opportunity to short-list down to those considered for interview.

"This has always been a very diligent exercise, carefully carried out each time we have done this.

"It does get difficult when they virtually all say the same – I think there must be some sort of phrase book for would-be managers.

"In the case of appointing Neil Woods caretaker at the time, he was one of two that were under serious consideration, the other being Russell Slade, who had effectively negotiated and agreed contract terms.

"The board chose Russell over Neil. Given the position in the table this was a big decision and the board were split over who to choose.

"The club's longest serving director (Peter Furneaux) supported the appointment of Neil as manager, while Mike Chapman and John Elsom wanted to go with the experience of Russell.

"On such an issue we debated further until there was a consensus when John and Mike conceded, as they often did, it was ultimately a financial decision.

"I am not prepared to elaborate any further on who I supported.

"I will say that Neil worked tirelessly. We all wanted him to succeed that's for sure.

"I guess the expectation that goes with a club our size in this league brought such pressure it made things very difficult.

"He was a gentleman and it's sad when the club loses long-serving staff like him."

The fact Slade was even in the running for a return to Blundell Park at that time may have surprised some after his much-publicised departure in 2006.

Since then, some fans have suggested it was a mistake to let him leave after going so close to promotion to League One.

Mr Fenty, however, stands by the decision to let his contract run out and says it's hypothetical to say things would have been different if he had stayed.

He added: "Firstly let's get this clear, Russell and I speak quite often; I attended his wedding which was long after he left the club and we remain good friends.

"When the Brighton job came up, I gave a good reference to male private Knight when he rang me about Russell.

"Russell didn't leave Grimsby on bad terms. I never understood why the fans were not more receptive to him either, I couldn't get my head around that one.

"Contrary to popular belief the money issue in the end had been settled.

"It wasn't just about money; the contract ran down and was not renewed, there was nothing more sinister than that.

"Could we have done better by keeping him?

"Possibly, but when we didn't go up effectively we had the guts ripped out of the team.

"We had been in the top three for most of the season and other clubs were circling like vultures for the players.

"It was impossible extending player contracts; if we had been promoted at the Millennium Stadium to League One, I am sure we would have kept the team together and things may have been different."

Hey Fenty & Furneaux, good job for deciding to appoint Woods instead of Slade, even when our most successful manager of the past decade had practically agreed terms with you. This article does not reflect well on the machinations of the board throughout Fenty's reign at all.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
RoboCod
September 21, 2011, 9:30am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
So Furneaux and his huge stake in the club decided on (youth team manager) Woods ? The only other option apparently being (ex-Manager) Slade ? What a useless, unimaginative and backward thinking board. No wonder wer'e in such a mess.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 55
Rodley Mariner
September 21, 2011, 10:04am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 178
"The club's longest serving director (Peter Furneaux) supported the appointment of Neil as manager, while Mike Chapman and John Elsom wanted to go with the experience of Russell.

"On such an issue we debated further until there was a consensus when John and Mike conceded, as they often did, it was ultimately a financial decision.

"I am not prepared to elaborate any further on who I supported".

Am I missing something or does he not need to elaborate on who he supported? if he'd supported Slade it would've been 3:1 and Slade would've been appointed wouldn't he?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 55
DubaiMariner
September 21, 2011, 10:06am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Felt a little bit sick reading that earlier on. Allowed my imagination to run wild with what ifs!

Can't think why a board of businessmen would make a financial decision (surely not masses of difference in pay between woods and slade-30k pa tops?) on a manager when he is the man in charge of how we perform on the pitch - which is where u generate your funds by winning games and getting fans in the ground. Very short sighted. I hope furneaux is soon gone for good and those other two are pretty weak willed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 55
DubaiMariner
September 21, 2011, 10:08am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

Am I missing something or does he not need to elaborate on who he supported? if he'd supported Slade it would've been 3:1 and Slade would've been appointed wouldn't he?

Haha yeah, that is exactly what i deduced too!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 55
Super Clive
September 21, 2011, 10:08am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
At the end of the day we all knew it!!!

the club is bent from the car park to the floodlights, fear the worsed people, I know i am be prepared and it won't be much of a shock when we eventually go under, Fenty has kept us alive for a few years and gave us a few more years of misery this was always going to happen
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 55
Perkins
September 21, 2011, 10:09am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

Correct me if i,m wrong, but i think under this clubs rules, the Chairman does not have a vote. And yes he does need to elaborate, it would be interesting to know how and why Chapman and Elsom were persuaded to concede.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 55
grimsbyreaper
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Think your right. And at 2-2 the Chairman's decision is final.

Three of the Directors having only 1500 shares between them ( I believe )?

I thought I had seen the end of the world. Desolation, Isolation, Destruction, Mutants and the end of Civilisation.
Turns out bloody Tom Tom had directed me through Scunthorpe City Centre.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 7 - 55
Quagmire

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +932
Gold Stars: 43
He doesn't want to elaborate because it would appear that he backed the cheap option that ultimately cost the club its league status.

And he is in no way to blame whatsoever in our demise. <insert sarcastic smiley face thing here>
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 55
dapperz fun pub
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,048
Gold Stars: 84
ive been saying for weeks the slade decision was a personal and financial one and not made in the interest of the club and as for ferneux C*&T
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 55
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fenty - Woods was cheap option

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.