Fenty - Woods was cheap option

This thread currently has 4,971 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
DubaiMariner
September 21, 2011, 10:10am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -1
I don't think we'd go under, but I wouldn't hold much short term hope about us climbing up the leagues either. We'd cut our cloth and have more players on £250 pw (approx)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 55
Chris
September 21, 2011, 10:12am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +19 / -3
Approval: +1
Quoted from RoboCod
So Furneaux and his huge stake in the club decided on (youth team manager) Woods ? The only other option apparently being (ex-Manager) Slade ? What a useless, unimaginative and backward thinking board. No wonder wer'e in such a mess.

PLENTY of people DIDN'T WANT SLADE BACK!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 55
RonMariner
September 21, 2011, 10:20am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,818
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from RoboCod
So Furneaux and his huge stake in the club decided on (youth team manager) Woods ? The only other option apparently being (ex-Manager) Slade ? What a useless, unimaginative and backward thinking board. No wonder wer'e in such a mess.

And that desion cost us our leaugue status. Shocking.

Another false economy.
Another expensive mistake.

I used to have sympathy for JF and the amount of money he has pumoped into the club, but you have to say that much of the losses we have incurred are down to disaterous decisions by the board rarther than external factors.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 55
Chris
September 21, 2011, 10:24am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from RonMariner

And that desion cost us our leaugue status. Shocking.

Another false economy.
Another expensive mistake.

I used to have sympathy for JF and the amount of money he has pumoped into the club, but you have to say that much of the losses we have incurred are down to disaterous decisions by the board rarther than external factors.

No it didn't.

There was NO guarantee Slade would have "saved us". You only have to look at his current teams performance this season to see that. Is it 10 games without a win at the minute and 8 defeats????
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 55
RoboCod
September 21, 2011, 10:26am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from Chris

PLENTY of people DIDN'T WANT SLADE BACK!!!!!!!

Yes. I KNOW !!! I was one of them, so why was the whole appointment between just Slade and Woods ? They seemed to be the ONLY choice to this board. When pressed to choose between Slade with his experience in management and Woods with NONE, I know who would have had the MUCH better chance of keeping us up and I would have been quite prepared to put previous grievances aside to preserve League status. And as Fenty now claims to be still be best buddies with Slade you can only conclude that Woods was the cheap option.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 55
Chris
September 21, 2011, 10:30am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from RoboCod

Yes. I KNOW !!! I was one of them, so why was the whole appointment between just Slade and Woods ? They seemed to be the ONLY choice to this board. When pressed to choose between Slade with his experience in management and Woods with NONE, I know who would have had the MUCH better chance of keeping us up and I would have been quite prepared to put previous grievances aside to preserve League status. And as Fenty now claims to be still be best buddies with Slade you can only conclude that Woods was the cheap option.

There were no guarantees. Woods knew the players, the set up, what went on under Newell's disasterous reign. All plausible reasons why Woods was a good choice. We were unlucky under Woods, too. Silly things went against us. We drew too many, didn't score enough, but in the end not a single manager could have guaranteed safety for Grimsby Town, not one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 55
RonMariner
September 21, 2011, 10:31am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,818
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Chris

No it didn't.

There was NO guarantee Slade would have "saved us". You only have to look at his current teams performance this season to see that. Is it 10 games without a win at the minute and 8 defeats????

Well, he kept Brighton  up in L1, in a worse situation than we were in, and then kept Orient up in L1.  And that's the record he had at the time the decision was being made. We will never know for sure but personally I do not believe he would have had a 25 match winless run, and I think he will have managed the couple more wins in the last 30 odd matches of the season needed to keep us up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 55
petethemariner
September 21, 2011, 10:32am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from Chris

No it didn't.

Slade or not (personally  i was against both him and Woods) is irrelevant to me, what is crystal clear is JF lied to the fans for the reasons in giving NW the job,' not a cheap option, root and branch change 'etc a massive decision for a then league club and what else is also crystal clear is Elsom and Chapman being Fenty's puppet directors, there for one reason and one reason only - to make sure JF got his way.
No wonder we are in the mire now.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 55
Chris
September 21, 2011, 10:34am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from RonMariner

Well, he kept Brighton  up in L1, in a worse situation than we were in, and then kept Orient up in L1.  And that's the record he had at the time then decision was being made. We will never know for sure but personally I do not believe he would have had a 25 match winless run, and I think he will have managed the couple more wins in the last 30 odd matches of the season needed to keep us up.

No no no, he left Brighton exactly where he found them, just above the relegation zone and was then sacked. Orient likewise although he did musch better last season. They are firmly bottom of the pile this season and at most places he'd have been sacked by now (although not something I would agree with)- 10 games without a win and 8 defeats.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 55
RoboCod
September 21, 2011, 10:35am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Rubbish.

"Unlucky" ? Maybe Slade is being "unlucky" right now with his current poor run?  A bit like Alan Buckley was "unlucky" with his EIGHT straight defeats in his last stint here.
An manager with no experience is the poorest choice possible for a team already in the bottom two.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 55
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fenty - Woods was cheap option

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.