Googlebot and 43 Guests

Match Thread vs Rotherham

This thread currently has 15,223 views. Print
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
bleedblackandwhite
July 16, 2011, 5:33pm

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
just got back from the game. saw some very promising signs, marshall was a nice surprise how well i thought he did, looked very composed and played the easy ball. church was very good in the middle, mobile and was putting in challenges (good ones) all game long. disley sprayed the ball about abit. artus looks like hes the flair player of the 4centre mid weve got with some nice touches and played one superb killer ball to play in hearn. hearn didnt see much of the game and when he did he hit the post with a good shot. DUFFY played really well for me though today won header after header. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 137
ticker_1610
July 16, 2011, 5:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +32 / -6
Spencer looked badly out if condition, eagle was poor, coulson not getting in game, Arthur shocking, mulready ineffective, but centre mid had bite and quality and matched rovrum. Deffo a penalty on Hearn player before ball still equals penalty. I thought we got more positives out of today than negative, makofo had a good half, church stepped up to the level, disley very composed and controls middle, Hearn lively and gets in scoring positions. However we need a left back, woods isn't a lb and Ridley injured frequently we can't keep putting a square peg in whilst ridds gets fit n then injured. I'm pleased with effort and players brought in Pearson looked solid, silk solid. I have seen us pay worse in pre season and win then have a crap season, this team won't roll over physically and surrender, and we have a physical presence in the middle. I'm quite happy after today, it's moving forward which is good!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 137
DocDock
July 16, 2011, 5:37pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +235
Gold Stars: 3
Thought Garner had a decent game, probably my MOTM. Still early to say, thought we looked decent towards the end of the game but a lot of work still to be done. Makofo looked alright but he still divvers too much on the ball, he should have had a shot first time with one chance but left it too long.

Like i say, much work to be done and i still feel we're a player or two too short, perhaps more so now Connell's gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 137
Steve_gtfc
July 16, 2011, 5:41pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Quoted from upthestripes

Nothing worth mentioning, Steve?
How did we look? Any standout/standin performances?

I was fairly impressed to be honest. To me the stand out players were Disley and Church.

Church - never stopped running and closing down the opposition.

Disley-  to me looked to have abiltiy on the ball and he distributed it well throughout the first half.

Artus - looked handy when he came on, picking out a few decent throughballs.

Spencer - I was pleasantly suprised by Spencer, as he was more mobile than what I had imagined and he is built like a tank.

Makofo - looked enthusiastic and keen to impress when he came on. He had a couple of runs with the ball and joined in a couple of encouraging team passing moves.

Hearn - looked fit and strong. He was unlucky not to score with a shot from the edge of the area that struck the post, but Duffy put the rebound in anyway.

Garner - was at fault for one of the goals I thought when the striker dropped the shoulder Garner just slid past, whilst the striker had all the time in the world to pick his spot. Other than that I thought Garner played well and he seemed to develop a good understanding with Pearson.

Pearson - looked strong, brave and not scared of anything. Came close to scoring from a couple of corners along with Garner (corners could be nearly as good as penalties with these two).

Wood - was just his usual self (very committed and generally tidy).

Follow on Twitter: sclaybourn87
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 137
aaron rattray
July 16, 2011, 5:43pm
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +71 / -90
Approval: -4
in the first half we lacked the cutting edge in my opinion second half a bit better

arthur was awful
church looked poor i thought

i am a season ticket holder and i always will be one  

"aaron is the next michael barrymore, hes a comedinan"

it is official, i am a comedian

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 137
July 16, 2011, 5:44pm
Guest User
How strong was the Rotherham side - first-teamers or youngsters?
Reply: 45 - 137
AndyGTFC
July 16, 2011, 5:45pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +809
Gold Stars: 5
I thought we did alright to be honest. Looked more threatening in the second half than we did in the first. Despite the scoreline, I didn't think there was that much between the two sides. They didn't create that much apart from the goals they scored.

I liked the look of the new midfielders. It's hard to see them not being an improvement on what we had last year. Artus in particular came on in the second half and looked a very skillful player. Church isn't afraid to put his foot in and Disley passed the ball around nicely too. Hearn looked lively, has a decent bit of pace about him and had a great effort that hit the post before Duffy tucked away the rebound.

As for the other signings, Spencer will probably be a good target man when he gets match fit as he did win his fair share in the air, Pearson is no nonsense and wins almost every header and Silk didn't stand out but was solid, seems a bit like a right back version of Ridley.

Special mention to Makofo too, he had a good game when he came on. He's definitely a bit of a wildcard in that you don't know what he's gonna next but he's the sort of player worth having IMO.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 137
True iron
July 16, 2011, 5:46pm
Guest User
I can honestly see you lot struggling again this season
Reply: 47 - 137
aaron rattray
July 16, 2011, 5:48pm
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +71 / -90
Approval: -4
Quoted from 1888
I can honestly see you lot struggling again this season

i dont tend to agree with sCUNThorpr fans but i agree

i am a season ticket holder and i always will be one  

"aaron is the next michael barrymore, hes a comedinan"

it is official, i am a comedian

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 137
GTFC_Dave
July 16, 2011, 5:51pm

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Quoted from aaron rattray

i dont tend to agree with sCUNThorpr fans but i agree

Really? IMO we matched Rotherham in the first half despite their two goals and played better than them second half.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 137
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Match Thread vs Rotherham

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.