4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Garth
July 15, 2011, 5:17pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,939
Gold Stars: 27
Alan gave his all for this club and owes us nothing, he`s got what he desired a move down South into a league team and we in return have received a more than adequate fee for him.
I hope that he continues to score for them as he did for us and I for one will keep a weather eye on his progress, full marks need to go to JF for his astute business in closing this deal and holding out for something that satisfies both club and player.
As a matter of interest it would nice to know the thoughts of a poll of Fishy`s regarding this transfer
Logged Offline
Private Message
Jack95
July 15, 2011, 5:27pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
I think its a good deal for Grimsby + Alan, he wanted the move and after he knew there was inteerest, bang. Like everybody else does? But i think we need another goalscorer up there, because its going to look empty up front without him. Oh well. Promotion still is ours.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 33
Mariners_15
July 15, 2011, 5:30pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +17 / -4
Approval: +538
Gold Stars: 1
Good move but don't understand all the malarky about him wanting to move back down south, maybe if he was that concerned he shouldn't have moved up here...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 33
Bignic69
July 15, 2011, 5:30pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +540
Gold Stars: 5
No brainer for me, decent money, he wanted to go there and he can't hurt us! fair play fenty. We have the poor mans tevez anyway (hearn) lol

Back of the net
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 33
grimsby pete
July 15, 2011, 6:09pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.78
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,841
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Garth
Alan gave his all for this club and owes us nothing, he`s got what he desired a move down South into a league team and we in return have received a more than adequate fee for him.
I hope that he continues to score for them as he did for us and I for one will keep a weather eye on his progress, full marks need to go to JF for his astute business in closing this deal and holding out for something that satisfies both club and player.
As a matter of interest it would nice to know the thoughts of a poll of Fishy`s regarding this transfer

I think it is a good deal all round,

We have got a good fee , Connell has got his wish and Swindon have got a good player,

Connell was never going to repeat last seasons goals total imo,  the managers have some money to bring a quality striker in,

IF  they think we need one.

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 33
the driver
July 15, 2011, 6:19pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +127
Good luck to the lad hope he scores a bag full for them hope he remembers he was one of the best forwards at B.P and a big thanks to Neil Woods
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 33
moosey_club
July 15, 2011, 8:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,335
Gold Stars: 229
Hope he never scores again.
He has had the most succesful season on a personal note of his career and wants away despite having a season left to run, shows no loyalty so i neither shall i. Thanks A.C but hope you rot in the reserves.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 33
samg
July 15, 2011, 8:49pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +17 / -2
Approval: +373
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from moosey_club
He has had the most succesful season on a personal note of his career and wants away despite having a season left to run, shows no loyalty so i neither shall i. Thanks A.C but hope you rot in the reserves.

There is no loyalty in football anymore - money talks nowadays!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 33
The Grim Reaper
July 15, 2011, 9:18pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -30
Approval: -533
There will always be the brain deads who think the club should have kept him, whether he wanted to go or not.

Jesus wants me to be a sunbeam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 33
lawless29
July 15, 2011, 10:59pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +11
as good as he was for us he didnt seem to work as well with the new formation employed by the bosses

https://www.facebook.com/GrimsbyCleethorpesHistory
[url=http://postimage.org/][img]http://s7.postimage.org/6lz8j8h4r/403320_362485870431139_1145829449_n.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://postimage.org/]photo upload[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 33
CarlitoBrigante
July 15, 2011, 11:18pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Quoted from The Grim Reaper
There will always be the brain deads who think the club should have kept him, whether he wanted to go or not.

I don't think that stance is brain dead at all.  Did Connell sign for Town last pre-season because he wanted to play for GTFC, or so he could fill in a gap in his career because Bournemouth didn't want him?  The former will have been the case face-to-face with Woods and Fenty, but the actual truth will have been the opposite.  Let's not kid ourselves that Connell was the finished article straight out of the blocks; I'd imagine that, as maligned as he is, Woods the coach had a lot to do with Connell improving as a player.  Town would never have got him if he was as good a year ago as he is now.

Connell might not owe GTFC anything, but if that's the case he should have signed a 1-year deal and he would have left us today with our blessing, even if it was for free.  I don't think he's shown us any respect this pre-season at all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 33
moosey_club
July 16, 2011, 1:08am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from samg

There is no loyalty in football anymore - money talks nowadays!

There is....... fans!!

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 33
80sglory
July 16, 2011, 2:08am
Guest User
Disappointed fans are turning on Connell - do you really think the club wanted him here on his wages ?  I don't !

In terms of their words and actions they certainly didn't throw the boat out to encourage him to stay.
Bottom line, we could have said "not for sale end of" and we'd have got a good year out of him.

Same old story, blame the player never the club.  
Reply: 12 - 33
0ld timer
July 16, 2011, 5:05am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +3
Quoted from 1600
Disappointed fans are turning on Connell - do you really think the club wanted him here on his wages ?  I don't !

In terms of their words and actions they certainly didn't throw the boat out to encourage him to stay.
Bottom line, we could have said "not for sale end of" and we'd have got a good year out of him.

why hasnt connell been in the papers then , saying please please dont sell me i want to stay here
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 33
July 16, 2011, 6:19am
Guest User
Quoted from 0ld timer

why hasnt connell been in the papers then , saying please please dont sell me i want to stay here

Probably because he's a professional footballer who wants to play at the highest level he can. At his age he wants a last chance to show he can "cut it" at League level, not unreasonably IMO.

I think AC has maintained a dignified silence this close season, and he gets credit from me for that. I get rather tired of footballers spitting out their dummy and running to the press to air their grievances.

BTW, does anyone know if Town's contract contains a clause forbidding players to speak to the press without the club's permission?

I read a fair bit about loyalty - but how loyal are the fans to the player? One minute he's God and the next they're calling him for leaving. AC goes with my sincere best wishes, and my thanks for helping GTFC avoid a sticky relegation fight in its first season in the BSP.
Reply: 14 - 33
mariner91
July 16, 2011, 7:52am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,837
Gold Stars: 264
Quoted from CarlitoBrigante

I don't think that stance is brain dead at all.  Did Connell sign for Town last pre-season because he wanted to play for GTFC, or so he could fill in a gap in his career because Bournemouth didn't want him?  The former will have been the case face-to-face with Woods and Fenty, but the actual truth will have been the opposite.  Let's not kid ourselves that Connell was the finished article straight out of the blocks; I'd imagine that, as maligned as he is, Woods the coach had a lot to do with Connell improving as a player. Town would never have got him if he was as good a year ago as he is now.

Connell might not owe GTFC anything, but if that's the case he should have signed a 1-year deal and he would have left us today with our blessing, even if it was for free.  I don't think he's shown us any respect this pre-season at all.

Please, please tell me you're joking.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 33
acko338
July 16, 2011, 7:59am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +44 / -6
Approval: +3,213
Gold Stars: 33
Alan Connell did a quality job on the field last year.

He can't help being homesick - ask any travelling contractor if they want to work away from home for months at a time... no ...they work for the money !

Move on - good fee in the bank... good business for GTFC..... now the fans want another striker in his place.

Too early to tell if Hearn is the man... we may need to dip into the market to strengthen the front line.

There are several good strikers at this level and just below who are itching to move from their present clubs to either play higher or go full time.

We don't know the inner workings of H&S but they have lined up good players so far..... on paper... perhaps their pc's have been sending mails to interested parties behind the scenes this week , knowing that Connell was going... they don't seem to advertise until deals are signed and sealed... that's good in my book!

Proof will begin today! I hope the game is played in a serious manner, but with no injuries picked up.

I'll be interested in fan comments on today's game when they have seen a live situation against higher opposition.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 33
SNOOZE
July 16, 2011, 8:35am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / -18
Quoted from moosey_club
HE probably wanted to get away from all you MORONS that slag him off

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 33
codcheeky
July 16, 2011, 9:57am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,260
Gold Stars: 31
good luck to AC and a big thank you his goals total last season will be a target for a while,  he has been a class act and dignified throughout his time here, a marked contrast to some of the dross we have signed in the past few years,we will miss him but I for one can`t blame him for wanting to play at a higher level especially at his age , his goals for us have earned him a decent contract and town a decent fee. Wishing connell all the best for the future
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 33
Garth
July 16, 2011, 10:05am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,939
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from codcheeky
good luck to AC and a big thank you his goals total last season will be a target for a while,  he has been a class act and dignified throughout his time here, a marked contrast to some of the dross we have signed in the past few years,we will miss him but I for one can`t blame him for wanting to play at a higher level especially at his age , his goals for us have earned him a decent contract and town a decent fee. Wishing connell all the best for the future

Well said, don`t see any reason whatsoever to slag him off, I hope he scores another 20 plus for Swindon
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 33
GrimRob
July 16, 2011, 10:27am

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,471
Gold Stars: 115
Not really bothered what he does at Swindon he just joins our enormous list of ex's. Time to move on.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 20 - 33
gary_elton
July 16, 2011, 10:32am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +23 / -6
Approval: +1,243
Gold Stars: 6
Thanks AC... you gave us a good year for nothing , and have given us a good return on your departure...

hope you come back to us with Swindon in the FA Cup and we stuff you...     

All my pictures , Seem to fade to black and white.... (Reg Dwight)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 33
moosey_club
July 16, 2011, 12:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from SNOOZE
HE probably wanted to get away from all you MORONS that slag him off

Where and when did i slag him off?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 33
tashee69
July 16, 2011, 12:43pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +969
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from moosey_club

There is....... fans!!

Unfortunately even fans aren't loyal nowadays. If Town are going for the Championship, what do you think the attendances will be at the end of the season compared to a 9/10th place finish. Even some fans will only support success and I know a few myself.

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 33
tashee69
July 16, 2011, 12:59pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +969
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from 1600

I think that on this instance NOBODY has to take any blame. Alan wanted to play at a higher level and it appears we got a decent fee for a player who only had 1 year left on his contract and had a record of 1 good goalscoring season. He could have scored 10 next year, he could have scored 30, he could have broke his leg. Who knows, it's all a lot of if's,but's and maybe's now.
I don't know if he would fit into this 433 formation that Hurst was going on about in the Gy Telegraph (can't really see him being an Anelka, Drogba or Malouda type player  ) I can see all the other forwards fitting in. (we may very well see Eagle as our own Malouda  )

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 33
mariner91
July 16, 2011, 5:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,837
Gold Stars: 264
Quoted from GrimRob
Not really bothered what he does at Swindon he just joins our enormous list of ex's. Time to move on.

GTFC: the footballing slag.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 33
moosey_club
July 17, 2011, 1:22am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from tashee69

Unfortunately even fans aren't loyal nowadays. If Town are going for the Championship, what do you think the attendances will be at the end of the season compared to a 9/10th place finish. Even some fans will only support success and I know a few myself.

Well they are not fans are they, fans - short for fanatic , Adj.     1.     fanatic - marked by excessive enthusiasm for and intense devotion to a cause or idea; 2.fanatic - a person motivated by irrational enthusiasm (as for a cause); 3.a person whose enthusiasm or zeal for something is extreme or beyond normal limits

the ones you describe are glory hunters, end of. Dont care when they first attended a game its attendance through the barren years that count.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 33
moosey_club
July 17, 2011, 1:24am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

GTFC: the footballing slag.

I love that !! Worthy of a flag and an unofficial club crest.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 33
80sglory
July 17, 2011, 2:45am
Guest User
Quoted from tashee69
I don't know if he would fit into this 433 formation that Hurst was going on about in the Gy Telegraph (can't really see him being an Anelka, Drogba or Malouda type player  ) I can see all the other forwards fitting in. (we may very well see Eagle as our own Malouda  )

I'd like someone to explain to me how a 4-3-3 formation matters when you've got a striker knocking a large proportion of his goals in from 25+ yards, not that I understand the rationale anyway. Does anybody have any idea why he wouldn't fit into a 4-3-3 ?

As for the GET piece(thanks for reminding me to read), another carefully crafted piece of propaganda with all the right boxes ticked.

"Hurst said: "Alan handed in a transfer request yesterday morning and it moved very quickly from there."

I bet it did !!!  

"There has been a lot of speculation and attention on one player in the media."

A reasonable amount of it was from Hursts own mouth - "Bosses deny issue with top man Alan" indeed !  

"It's possibly been a little unfair on the rest of the team."

Ah well, too late now, he's gone...  

"After Alan had handed in a transfer request, it made it more difficult for us because if we then turn the offer down you are left with a player who doesn't want to be here."

How convenient he put in a tranfer request right at the last minute. Makes you wonder why he didn't before...

"He wouldn't have been in the right state of mind and that's the last thing we wanted."
I just don't buy that - not only was he considered a model professional by many but pretty sure Fenty started the ball rolling by saying words to the same effect at the backend of last season even before Connell said he was happy to stay here at the POTY awards.
Of course I accept it's entirely possible that Alan himself wanted away all along, but again, why didn't he hand in a transfer request beforehand ?

"It's hard to replace those goals if he goes and would cost us a lot of money to do so."
So is you're gonna spend the money why sell in the first place ?
Because he wouldn't have been happy, I forgot.
Well according to his twitter he was happy right up until the moment an acceptable offer came in.
Geez, what a terrible bit of "sods law" bad luck at the last moment for GTFC !

Now I'll be opening myself up for abuse here(doesn't really bother me so fire away if you so wish) but I want to be honest.
I do feel slightly guilty because I know many fans don't agree with me/hate me/like me talking about it, I didn't actually want go on about it all again.
But frankly, giving fans the whole dog and pony show in the media to paint themselves as helpless victims with tied hands makes me slightly annoyed.
And yes, after today it still do still think we'll miss Alan.
For what it's worth, I won't go out of my way to say any more about it unless someone wishes to have a debate (until the fans forum should anything else crop up).
At least that will please most fans.
Reply: 28 - 33
Denby
July 17, 2011, 7:23am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +12 / -2
just because we (may have) made £100k+ for connell doesn't mean it's a good deal for the club.  i'd argue that losing your 30 goal a season striker and best player just before the new season starts is not a good deal whatever the club.  as for fenty being astute, jesus wept...
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 33
rancido
July 17, 2011, 11:20am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,667
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from moosey_club

There is....... fans!!

If that was the case then where are the missing thousands from a few seasons back ? Or more to the point the 25,000 who went to see the JPT final ?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 33
ginnywings
July 17, 2011, 2:36pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from 1600

I'd like someone to explain to me how a 4-3-3 formation matters when you've got a striker knocking a large proportion of his goals in from 25+ yards, not that I understand the rationale anyway. Does anybody have any idea why he wouldn't fit into a 4-3-3 ?

As for the GET piece(thanks for reminding me to read), another carefully crafted piece of propaganda with all the right boxes ticked.

"Hurst said: "Alan handed in a transfer request yesterday morning and it moved very quickly from there."

I bet it did !!!  

"There has been a lot of speculation and attention on one player in the media."

A reasonable amount of it was from Hursts own mouth - "Bosses deny issue with top man Alan" indeed !  

"It's possibly been a little unfair on the rest of the team."

Ah well, too late now, he's gone...  

"After Alan had handed in a transfer request, it made it more difficult for us because if we then turn the offer down you are left with a player who doesn't want to be here."

How convenient he put in a tranfer request right at the last minute. Makes you wonder why he didn't before...

"He wouldn't have been in the right state of mind and that's the last thing we wanted."
I just don't buy that - not only was he considered a model professional by many but pretty sure Fenty started the ball rolling by saying words to the same effect at the backend of last season even before Connell said he was happy to stay here at the POTY awards.
Of course I accept it's entirely possible that Alan himself wanted away all along, but again, why didn't he hand in a transfer request beforehand ?

"It's hard to replace those goals if he goes and would cost us a lot of money to do so."
So is you're gonna spend the money why sell in the first place ?
Because he wouldn't have been happy, I forgot.
Well according to his twitter he was happy right up until the moment an acceptable offer came in.
Geez, what a terrible bit of "sods law" bad luck at the last moment for GTFC !

Now I'll be opening myself up for abuse here(doesn't really bother me so fire away if you so wish) but I want to be honest.
I do feel slightly guilty because I know many fans don't agree with me/hate me/like me talking about it, I didn't actually want go on about it all again.
But frankly, giving fans the whole dog and pony show in the media to paint themselves as helpless victims with tied hands makes me slightly annoyed.
And yes, after today it still do still think we'll miss Alan.
For what it's worth, I won't go out of my way to say any more about it unless someone wishes to have a debate (until the fans forum should anything else crop up).
At least that will please most fans.

If you honestly believe that a player who has been denied a dream move back to the FL,with a club nearer his roots is just going to shrug it off and knuckle down to life in the BSP,then you are more stupid than i thought.

He may not have put in an official tranfer request 'til this move surfaced but he has always wanted away and expressed an interest to do so at the end of the season if the right deal came along for all concerned parties.The Swindon move was that right deal and the club were right to go with it.

I really can't see what going over every utterance from the player and club will achieve.I didn't want him to go but he has and that's football in a nutshell.

Think it's about time we all forgot about Connell,said thanks for his goals and the cash we made on him and moved on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 33
marinette
July 17, 2011, 2:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from moosey_club

its attendance through the barren years that count.

Yes, there's something to be said for that.  It could be a definition of loyalty...and also madness, perhaps.

Private Message
Reply: 32 - 33
Welwynmariner
July 17, 2011, 2:48pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Approval: +337
Quoted from tashee69

we may very well see Eagle as our own Malouda

Even counting myself as a bit of a Rob Eagle fan I found this a somewhat incredible comparison
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 33
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › To me its common sense

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.