This thread currently has 3,546 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
CarlitoBrigante
July 15, 2011, 11:18pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Quoted from The Grim Reaper
There will always be the brain deads who think the club should have kept him, whether he wanted to go or not.

I don't think that stance is brain dead at all.  Did Connell sign for Town last pre-season because he wanted to play for GTFC, or so he could fill in a gap in his career because Bournemouth didn't want him?  The former will have been the case face-to-face with Woods and Fenty, but the actual truth will have been the opposite.  Let's not kid ourselves that Connell was the finished article straight out of the blocks; I'd imagine that, as maligned as he is, Woods the coach had a lot to do with Connell improving as a player.  Town would never have got him if he was as good a year ago as he is now.

Connell might not owe GTFC anything, but if that's the case he should have signed a 1-year deal and he would have left us today with our blessing, even if it was for free.  I don't think he's shown us any respect this pre-season at all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 33
moosey_club
July 16, 2011, 1:08am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.69
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,335
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from samg

There is no loyalty in football anymore - money talks nowadays!

There is....... fans!!

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 33
80sglory
July 16, 2011, 2:08am
Guest User
Disappointed fans are turning on Connell - do you really think the club wanted him here on his wages ?  I don't !

In terms of their words and actions they certainly didn't throw the boat out to encourage him to stay.
Bottom line, we could have said "not for sale end of" and we'd have got a good year out of him.

Same old story, blame the player never the club.  
Reply: 12 - 33
0ld timer
July 16, 2011, 5:05am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +3
Quoted from 1600
Disappointed fans are turning on Connell - do you really think the club wanted him here on his wages ?  I don't !

In terms of their words and actions they certainly didn't throw the boat out to encourage him to stay.
Bottom line, we could have said "not for sale end of" and we'd have got a good year out of him.

Same old story, blame the player never the club.  

why hasnt connell been in the papers then , saying please please dont sell me i want to stay here
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 33
July 16, 2011, 6:19am
Guest User
Quoted from 0ld timer

why hasnt connell been in the papers then , saying please please dont sell me i want to stay here

Probably because he's a professional footballer who wants to play at the highest level he can. At his age he wants a last chance to show he can "cut it" at League level, not unreasonably IMO.

I think AC has maintained a dignified silence this close season, and he gets credit from me for that. I get rather tired of footballers spitting out their dummy and running to the press to air their grievances.

BTW, does anyone know if Town's contract contains a clause forbidding players to speak to the press without the club's permission?

I read a fair bit about loyalty - but how loyal are the fans to the player? One minute he's God and the next they're calling him for leaving. AC goes with my sincere best wishes, and my thanks for helping GTFC avoid a sticky relegation fight in its first season in the BSP.
Reply: 14 - 33
mariner91
July 16, 2011, 7:52am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,935
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from CarlitoBrigante

I don't think that stance is brain dead at all.  Did Connell sign for Town last pre-season because he wanted to play for GTFC, or so he could fill in a gap in his career because Bournemouth didn't want him?  The former will have been the case face-to-face with Woods and Fenty, but the actual truth will have been the opposite.  Let's not kid ourselves that Connell was the finished article straight out of the blocks; I'd imagine that, as maligned as he is, Woods the coach had a lot to do with Connell improving as a player. Town would never have got him if he was as good a year ago as he is now.

Connell might not owe GTFC anything, but if that's the case he should have signed a 1-year deal and he would have left us today with our blessing, even if it was for free.  I don't think he's shown us any respect this pre-season at all.

Please, please tell me you're joking.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 33
acko338
July 16, 2011, 7:59am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +44 / -6
Approval: +3,209
Gold Stars: 33
Alan Connell did a quality job on the field last year.

He can't help being homesick - ask any travelling contractor if they want to work away from home for months at a time... no ...they work for the money !

Move on - good fee in the bank... good business for GTFC..... now the fans want another striker in his place.

Too early to tell if Hearn is the man... we may need to dip into the market to strengthen the front line.

There are several good strikers at this level and just below who are itching to move from their present clubs to either play higher or go full time.

We don't know the inner workings of H&S but they have lined up good players so far..... on paper... perhaps their pc's have been sending mails to interested parties behind the scenes this week , knowing that Connell was going... they don't seem to advertise until deals are signed and sealed... that's good in my book!

Proof will begin today! I hope the game is played in a serious manner, but with no injuries picked up.

I'll be interested in fan comments on today's game when they have seen a live situation against higher opposition.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 33
SNOOZE
July 16, 2011, 8:35am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / -18
Quoted from moosey_club
Hope he never scores again.
He has had the most succesful season on a personal note of his career and wants away despite having a season left to run, shows no loyalty so i neither shall i. Thanks A.C but hope you rot in the reserves.
HE probably wanted to get away from all you MORONS that slag him off

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 33
codcheeky
July 16, 2011, 9:57am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,261
Gold Stars: 31
good luck to AC and a big thank you his goals total last season will be a target for a while,  he has been a class act and dignified throughout his time here, a marked contrast to some of the dross we have signed in the past few years,we will miss him but I for one can`t blame him for wanting to play at a higher level especially at his age , his goals for us have earned him a decent contract and town a decent fee. Wishing connell all the best for the future
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 33
Garth
July 16, 2011, 10:05am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from codcheeky
good luck to AC and a big thank you his goals total last season will be a target for a while,  he has been a class act and dignified throughout his time here, a marked contrast to some of the dross we have signed in the past few years,we will miss him but I for one can`t blame him for wanting to play at a higher level especially at his age , his goals for us have earned him a decent contract and town a decent fee. Wishing connell all the best for the future

Well said, don`t see any reason whatsoever to slag him off, I hope he scores another 20 plus for Swindon
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › To me its common sense

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.