13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
mariner91
June 9, 2011, 9:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,744
Gold Stars: 262
Well Alan will win at least one penalty off him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 129
Billybigbollox
June 9, 2011, 9:29pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +2
He is a very good footballer not much of a defender holds to much and in a scrap he comes off 2nd best .......Would look better higher up the leagues
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 129
Billybigbollox
June 9, 2011, 9:29pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +2
He is a very good footballer not much of a defender holds to much and in a scrap he comes off 2nd best .......Would look better higher up the leagues
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 129
petethemariner
June 9, 2011, 9:34pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Some damn silly ( and envious) comments on this thread IMO, Fleetwood aren't a  'Tin Pot club' they are an up and coming club with a chairman willing to put his money where is mouth is , what is wrong with that? their ground is being developed with the aim of league football- would we complain if this was our club? Of course not!
I'm a Town fan, always have been  and always will be, but what a pompous attitude some of our fans have - we have a good history, but history ise exactly  what it is, our ground is becoming a wreck and we deserve to be where we are, the day that we stop thinking of ourselves as being ' too big for this league' will be our first steps forward to  regaining league football.
To the Fleetwood poster - Atkinson is a league standard defender, who, if he signs, will do well for you next year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 129
gtfc98
June 9, 2011, 10:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.73
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,061
Gold Stars: 68
Quoted from petethemariner
Some damn silly ( and envious) comments on this thread IMO, Fleetwood aren't a  'Tin Pot club' they are an up and coming club with a chairman willing to put his money where is mouth is , what is wrong with that? their ground is being developed with the aim of league football- would we complain if this was our club? Of course not!
I'm a Town fan, always have been  and always will be, but what a pompous attitude some of our fans have - we have a good history, but history ise exactly  what it is, our ground is becoming a wreck and we deserve to be where we are, the day that we stop thinking of ourselves as being ' too big for this league' will be our first steps forward to  regaining league football.
To the Fleetwood poster - Atkinson is a league standard defender, who, if he signs, will do well for you next year.

What like he did well for us last year and the year before? I don't think you can really be classed as a 'league player' when you were part of the worst defence in the football league.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 129
Abdul19
June 9, 2011, 10:24pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,594
Gold Stars: 219
Quoted from pontoonlew

It took Wigan time, they built a new stadium and transformed the infastructure of the club before splashing money on players. They also didn't totally bankroll and spent more money than they had. They also were'nt playing in local leagues like these two sides were not so long ago. Whelan was also a fan and local man, these new guys are just rich men who will get bored eventually. So no, you cant really compare these guys to Wigan.

They spent a million quid on a player whilst they were in League 1. I've no idea who owns Fleetwood.but I'm guessing he's not local (seeing as this apparently makes a difference).

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 129
petethemariner
June 9, 2011, 10:54pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from gtfc98

What like he did well for us last year and the year before? I don't think you can really be classed as a 'league player' when you were part of the worst defence in the football league.

Can i just point out that a defence consists of 5 - Keeper, right back, left back and 2 centre backs, so lets not  apportion ALL the blame on Atkinson Eh? Perhaps an effective midfield might have made a difference?
Atkinson had many outstanding games for us - cannot fathom why fans of all clubs seem fit to slag off players
leaving their clubs for little more than bitterness, he served this club well - he wasnt manager during Newell/Buckley Mark 3 or Woods was he?, merely 1 player, so lets get a sense of proportion.
Linwood  was slagged off by many Town fans, yet played in a team last season that did the double over us,
lets hope  its not a case of deja vu?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 129
Marinerz93
June 9, 2011, 11:00pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Abdul19

They spent a million quid on a player whilst they were in League 1. I've no idea who owns Fleetwood.but I'm guessing he's not local (seeing as this apparently makes a difference).

I think he is local to the Fleetwood area but he only invested in them because the Blackpool board didn't allow him in.  He made a statement that he will get Fleetwood into the league and seems very determined to do it.  I also believe he is a very wealthy and shrewd man.

Can't deny Fleetwood any success if their chairman is trying to do for them that Morecambe and the like have achieved.

Atkinson, I thought he did well for us in the season we managed to stay up.  The last two seasons though he hasn't found any real form and thinks he is better than he is.  He'll get very close to defenders and as someone described him as a rucksac it's not far off.  This is one of the reasons he is turned easy and one of the main reasons he gives free kicks and the odd penalty away.  Not sad to see him go, for me he was just an average defender, he may fair better in a better team.  I wish him no ill and I don't particularly wish him well, glad I won't have to suffer any more gay photo's of him and Peter Till.

My player rating for him would be 5/10

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 129
Maringer
June 9, 2011, 11:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,666
Gold Stars: 189
Atkinson thinks he's better than he actually is. If he was more aware of his weaknesses he'd probably be a better player.

Not really that big, that strong or that quick and he gets bullied by big strikers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 129
petethemariner
June 9, 2011, 11:04pm
Cocktail Drinker
Might be wrong, but  are you sure it was Atkinson with Till  in that picture? Bit suprising if it is,
seeing i am  reliably told that he is quite 'handy' in a scrap! C'ant imagine that  applies to Till!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 129
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Rob Atkinson

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.