Abdul19
June 10, 2011, 8:39pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,596
Gold Stars: 219
Quoted from Chris
Very disappointed to see Rob leave Grimsby Town, and very surprised to see him end up at another BSP team. I feel he was at least L2 standard and probably higher IMO.

He'll earn more money at Fleetwood than at probably anywhere in League 2.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 129
Abdul19
June 10, 2011, 8:40pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,596
Gold Stars: 219
Quoted from Tezla

Knowing both Towns Fleetwood have been growing since about 1997 so not that quick. They've spent £5million developing the stadium which is nearing completion and complete with offices and other income streams for the club, in addition a thriving   junior, full time youth and community infrastructure. Their chairman is a mad keen supporter, from the town and  who lives by the ground and has been involved for years. Finally they were playing Wigan in 'local leagues' in the 70s , so a pretty silly, sweeping assumption.

Good stuff. Sounds pretty comparable to the Latics then!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 129
80sglory
June 10, 2011, 9:38pm
Guest User
Quoted from Maringer

I'd imagine Atkinson has had rather more than a thousand reasons each week to be motivated. A pity it obviously wasn't enough! Personally, I don't think motivation was necessarily a problem. The culprit was ability.

Obviously, players will perform better when part of a stronger team or as a settled defensive unit. However, Atkinson has simply made too many individual errors for me over the past couple of seasons. I'm not sorry to see him leave because I just think that he's not a very good defender, especially when faced with big strikers of the sort you find all around the lower divisions and in the BSP.

A pity, really, as he looked good in his first spell with us a few years ago and I was surprised at the time that Barnsley were willing to let him leave.

Fair comment, I certainly agree it's no great loss.
Reply: 102 - 129
davmariner
June 10, 2011, 11:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,962
Gold Stars: 79
Not exactly crying myself to sleep but what a helmet. ££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 129
louth_in_the_south
June 11, 2011, 1:05am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,705
Gold Stars: 96
Was gutted when we sold good players for good money in the past . Don't give a f uck about losing Atkinson for nothing .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 129
louth_in_the_south
June 11, 2011, 8:36am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,705
Gold Stars: 96
He's a excrement and his agent is a excrement too

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 129
mariner marc
June 11, 2011, 11:18am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Quoted from 1600

You've only got to look at a lot of ex-Town players now playing at a higher level.
It's not cos "they're sh1t" as some other fans seem to think, it's arguably because the whole setup wasn't up to scratch.
I'd guess most players look either better or worse than they really are, depending on how they're coached and the quality of the players around them.
Some players like Sweeney went from top goalscorer to complete cack when the team struggled - I think it comes down to confidence and motivation.

Maybe Atko wasn't as motivated as he should have been(remember Woods made a comment regarding "league players" before he dropped him) but unless you're making some progress as a team, it's really difficult to motivate yourself week in week out and play your very best if things are going completely mammaries up and others around you are failing.

You can point to Alan Connell as the exception but it's a lot easier to be personally motivated to score as many as possible when your goals tally is already up there regardless of the team.

Going back to the Bath FA cup defeat as a prime example, I've always thought the way Town teams have sunk lower and lower shows how important momentum and confidence is.

Without prejudging them my fear with Scott and Hurst is if we hit a bad patch and they demand more and more from the players with every bad result they simply won't get it. It's a lot easier to motivate players to run the extra yard when the team is on the up.

excellent post  

and on Sweeney shame the lad didnt have more motivation as he could have achieved a lot more in the game which his talent warranted
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 129
gtfc98
June 11, 2011, 11:54am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.73
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,061
Gold Stars: 68
Quoted from Townfantom

Don't you mean you've made up a rumour that Bores been offered a contract?

haha Got to agree with that. I don't know why he bothered changing his username, he still posts the same constant drivel!

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 129
Super Clive
June 11, 2011, 11:56am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
Quoted from gtfc98

haha Got to agree with that. I don't know why he bothered changing his username, he still posts the same constant drivel!

Why would I make it up, wait and see.

Sorry I forgot you and Titfantom run the fishy... give it at rest will you, your both very sad and boring.
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 129
gtfc98
June 11, 2011, 12:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.73
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,061
Gold Stars: 68
Quoted from Super Clive

Why would I make it up, wait and see.

Sorry I forgot you and Titfantom run the fishy... give it at rest will you, your both very sad and boring.

intercourse off Wellsy

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 129
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Rob Atkinson

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.