9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
buckstown
April 1, 2024, 9:28am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,185
Gold Stars: 79
Someone must have told him recently that it doesn’t count when 450 of those passes are in your own penalty area!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 86
GrimPol
April 1, 2024, 9:29am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -767
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Mappers
In that DN35 interview Artell said that 'teams that complete over 600 passes win more games '

I can't be bothered to fact check but I would be interested if that's true - I mean is he talking about through all league's ?

I find it hard to believe many teams in league 2 complete 600 a game .

Wrexham beat Mansfield with half the posession they had - 358 completed passes v 556 .

I have looked through the top 3 out of mild curiousity and they have only gone over 600 completed passes a game in single figures between all of them .

Seems a strange point to raise which seems irrelevant in terms of league 2 .

I struggle to believe we have made 600 completed passes this season.
He's either read the "Idiots Guide to Football:_ How to Win" or he's force fed with the Data outfit and spouts it so he sounds interesting. The fact that 600 complete passes will win a game, is negated by the 10 rubbish passes in and around our penalty area that the opposition use to stuff us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 86
pontoonlew
April 1, 2024, 9:40am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,078
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from Maringer
I wouldn't go as far as saying Artell has done OK given that he's won exactly the same PPG as Hurst I agree that his signings in January seem to have improved the squad to some degree, but this is countered by the loss of Conteh who was obviously holding it all together much more than we realised. I'd imagine we'd probably have another half a dozen points right now if he had stayed as we've had no effective midfield in way too many games since he left.

If we’re talking about Artells abilities as a manager, how is his work in the transfer market at all ‘countered’ by losing Conteh? He couldn’t help that happening and if anything it’s a further demonstration that Artell has done okay.

The fact a large chunk of our fans didn’t see Conteh leaving as a big thing tells you all you need to know, it was absolutely blindingly obvious.

If we win today our form in the past 10 games (which includes the Donny result) is that of a mid table side, that’s a steadier ship and something to build on. Yet again the reaction on this board to 2 defeats against good teams has been completely over the top.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 86
GrimPol
April 1, 2024, 10:13am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -767
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from pontoonlew

If we’re talking about Artells abilities as a manager, how is his work in the transfer market at all ‘countered’ by losing Conteh? He couldn’t help that happening and if anything it’s a further demonstration that Artell has done okay.

The fact a large chunk of our fans didn’t see Conteh leaving as a big thing tells you all you need to know, it was absolutely blindingly obvious.

If we win today our form in the past 10 games (which includes the Donny result) is that of a mid table side, that’s a steadier ship and something to build on. Yet again the reaction on this board to 2 defeats against good teams has been completely over the top.

I disagree. It's not the fact that we lost its the way we approached the games which shows naivety by DA. The way he approached the match we were going to lose, all we didn't know was by how much.
We had a run of six games which didn't lose and approached the Wrexham match with our star player out. Make it 7 games without a loss should have been his priority. 5:4:1 keep it tight let the opposition come at you and make them work for it. It was worse for the Barrow game as he put forward an attacking team. We tried to play as equals when in fact they are in another league,  and using us to gain points. They must have been laughing at us at half and full-time. The charge of the Light Brigade must have been seen as an astute and clever plan if compared with our two last matches.
Personally, I would have had the 10 outfield players on the goal line with the goalie running free. No passing required
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 86
jamesgtfc
April 1, 2024, 10:42am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,028
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Mappers
In that DN35 interview Artell said that 'teams that complete over 600 passes win more games '

I can't be bothered to fact check but I would be interested if that's true - I mean is he talking about through all league's ?

Wrexham beat Mansfield with half the posession they had - 358 completed passes v 556 .

I have looked through the top 3 out of mild curiousity and they have only gone over 600 completed passes a game in single figures between all of them .

Coming out with comments like that when your limited evidence suggests it's not being done regularly at this level tells me he thinks we are all stupid. What if the players at his disposal aren't capable of completing 600 passes?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 86
louth_in_the_south
April 1, 2024, 11:54am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,704
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Mappers

Another example of his dilussional mindset . The Pep handbook doesn’t apply to L2 . Did I really have to say that ? To actually say that on a fans podcast is just laughable.

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 86
RonMariner
April 1, 2024, 4:02pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,777
Gold Stars: 226
600 passes?

Talking of stats, how many games do you win when you can't score more than one goal a game and are in the habit of gifting the opposition soft goals?

I'm guessing it's about 4 wins every 22 games.......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 86
GibMariner
April 1, 2024, 4:27pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -963
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from exiledmeggie
Hurst left us in a bad state. All we can do is steady the ship and get off the rocks.

Disagree Hursts side defended competently. We were a keeper from giving ourselves a chance at the other end. From that confidence grows and teams gell.

Look back when it’s gone wrong !! that position for me is the link.

Said many times he needed the window. Good manger and knows his stuff. Albeit he has the book with all the excuses when it going south. Difficult to replace 😉
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 86
davmariner
April 1, 2024, 4:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,957
Gold Stars: 79
He should have gone after the Donny thrashing. That decision (as well as appointing him in the first place) will take us down.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 86
RonMariner
April 1, 2024, 4:31pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,777
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from davmariner
He should have gone after the Donny thrashing. That decision (as well as appointing him in the first place) will take us down.

I really think we have had it if he stays in charge.

Sacking him now may not save us, but at least there is a a chance a change could alter the downward trajectory. Has to be worth a try.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 86
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › 20 league games under Artell

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.