This thread currently has 2,680 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
March 19, 2024, 8:57am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Yet another deduction for one of the minnows. 4 points instead of Everton's 6, 2 less for good behaviour.

When are the big boys going to be punished though?

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Lincoln Mariner 56
March 19, 2024, 9:26am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,689
Gold Stars: 79
Charges are clearly different in respect of Man City and Chelsea but agree the time delay in dealing with these is embarrassing and will, no doubt, at some stage lead to legal action of the professional game which will open a massive can of worms for the administration and management of it.

Anyone who plays locally knows if you play an ineligible player you automatically lose 3 points. Surely the system should have been set at the start, overspend by up to £10m a season, lose 3 points, up to £20m a season, 6 points etc etc. Thus clubs know exactly the risk they take for breaking the rules.

Where it is also unfair, IMO, are that Forest as a newly promoted club believed they had to invest heavily to remain in the Premiership which they did. I think it much fairer that the amount they can overspend by should be the same as existing Prem clubs I.e. £105m thus making it easier for them to compete when initially promoted.

In reality though allowing clubs to overspend income by £35 m per season does not sound like a business model that has a long future, crazy really when an individual Premiership player has a larger financial turnover than a L2 club and probably most L1 sides.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 30
IlkleyMariner
March 19, 2024, 9:35am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
In my dreams, both Chelsea and Man City to be relegated 5 leagues, like Glasgow Rangers…..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 30
Maringer
March 19, 2024, 9:41am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,509
Gold Stars: 185
Don't cry too much for Forest. Their billionaire Greek owner (who also owns the biggest club in Greece and one in Portugal) knew exactly what he was doing. Just thought he could get away with bending the rules, because he's always got away with it in the past with Olympiakos. On numerous occasions, in fact. Billionaires tend to get what they want so it must have caught him by surprise.

The sheer ludicrosity of a sustainability rule that allows clubs to lose £105 million over a three year period shows why the game is becoming a basket case in this country. So much money sloshing around, you can only imagine how much corruption must be taking place in the shadows.

I always find it surprising that in the US, land of (almost) unfettered capitalism, the NFL has got their excrement sorted out to make the competition as fair as possible. It's like the Wild West in comparison here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 30
Les Brechin
March 19, 2024, 9:43am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,710
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
In my dreams, both Chelsea and Man City to be relegated 5 leagues, like Glasgow Rangers…..

Scunny v Man City next season then?  

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 30
pizzzza
March 19, 2024, 9:51am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from GrimRob
Yet another deduction for one of the minnows. 4 points instead of Everton's 6, 2 less for good behaviour.

When are the big boys going to be punished though?

In what world are Forest and Everton considered minnows?
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 30
GrimRob
March 19, 2024, 10:02am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from pizzzza

In what world are Forest and Everton considered minnows?

Well Forest definitely are. Everton used to be "big" but a long time ago.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 30
ginnywings
March 19, 2024, 10:33am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,129
Gold Stars: 548
The football governance bill is introduced into parliament today.

Can't help but feel it won't make a lot of difference as the wealthy clubs have been allowed to accrue too much power, but we live in hope.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68602074
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 30
diehardmariner
March 19, 2024, 11:07am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,614
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from Maringer

I always find it surprising that in the US, land of (almost) unfettered capitalism, the NFL has got their excrement sorted out to make the competition as fair as possible. It's like the Wild West in comparison here.

And this is the only way I can see them making the Premier League, indeed the leagues below too, 'fair'.  It has to be a complete cap and equal spend limits.  There's always too many loopholes to exploit and expensive lawyers that will rip apart any moves for punishments, that's the real reason that Man City are yet to be deducted points. They've just got a better legal team than Everton and Forest had.

I almost want to hope, believe and even welcome a deduction for City, Chelsea et al.  But I also really don't care.  The game at that level has completely gone. I can't relate to it anymore. It's like the bloke who's trying to get the Enhanced Games together based on the concept that if everyone is juicing then it's fairer than only having a select few doing it.  I say let City spend however much the way want, let them buy title after title after title.  Let Newcastle spend what they want now they've got the wealth to do so.  Remove all financial fair play 'rules' at that level. I couldn't care less anymore.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 30
MarinerMal
March 19, 2024, 12:41pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +782
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from Maringer

Quoted from diehardmariner

And this is the only way I can see them making the Premier League, indeed the leagues below too, 'fair'.  It has to be a complete cap and equal spend limits.  There's always too many loopholes to exploit and expensive lawyers that will rip apart any moves for punishments, that's the real reason that Man City are yet to be deducted points. They've just got a better legal team than Everton and Forest had.

I almost want to hope, believe and even welcome a deduction for City, Chelsea et al.  But I also really don't care.  The game at that level has completely gone. I can't relate to it anymore. It's like the bloke who's trying to get the Enhanced Games together based on the concept that if everyone is juicing then it's fairer than only having a select few doing it.  I say let City spend however much the way want, let them buy title after title after title.  Let Newcastle spend what they want now they've got the wealth to do so.  Remove all financial fair play 'rules' at that level. I couldn't care less anymore.

It is easier to put such stipulations on a sport when you are the only country in the world that plays that sport professionally. Football is played in just about every country around the world and so putting financial limits is always going to be problematic.

Nobody gets relegated or promoted in the NFL either making it a closed shop. The NFL's competition rules are more about protecting the current franchises than making sport fairer.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 30
Maringer
March 19, 2024, 1:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,509
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from MarinerMal

Nobody gets relegated or promoted in the NFL either making it a closed shop. The NFL's competition rules are more about protecting the current franchises than making sport fairer.

They also get their players from College football which is, in itself, big business, I suspect. The 'draft' of players is a good idea, but not really workable now that the big clubs have manufactured the EPPP to steal young talent from smaller clubs. Scumbags. The gutless F.A. shouldn't have allowed that to happen.

Doesn't change the fact that their system simply works better than the free for all we see in England, at least.

The big clubs here have always dominated, but there has been the odd outlier, such as when Leicester won remarkably the other year. I don't think that would be possible now, even though it is less than a decade later.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 30
Lincoln Mariner 56
March 19, 2024, 1:26pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

They also get their players from College football which is, in itself, big business, I suspect. The 'draft' of players is a good idea, but not really workable now that the big clubs have manufactured the EPPP to steal young talent from smaller clubs. Scumbags. The gutless F.A. shouldn't have allowed that to happen.

Doesn't change the fact that their system simply works better than the free for all we see in England, at least.

The big clubs here have always dominated, but there has been the odd outlier, such as when Leicester won remarkably the other year. I don't think that would be possible now, even though it is less than a decade later.

Agree with you re younger players and the current system is an absolute joke.

Reference trying to get equity in football that is, IMO, both unachievable and in itself unfair. I think there is a fundamental difference between clubs that generate their own incomes and those who are a billionaire’s play thing. Clubs with bigger crowds, better marketing and better facilities should be rewarded for this with Spurs being an excellent example of this with their new multi use stadium and surrounding infrastructure making them one of the top ten income generating clubs worldwide. In addition they have also invested significantly in the local community building educational facilities with plan to build affordable housing also in the pipeline.

Inequality comes about when clubs like Man City, Newcastle and Chelsea are owned by multiple billionaires and/or states who can in reality just keep pumping millions into their playing budgets every single season. In the lower leagues we have seen this with Wrexham and Stockport but at least these are supporting clubs with a long history and significant support base. Whereas Salford and Forest Green are vanity projects which in reality are never ever clubs who will attract even an average suppporter base never mind a significant one.

Major problem is always that most supporters are extatic when their clubs get a wealthy new owner believing the holy grail of the Premiership is within their grasp. As I say I don’t have a problem with big clubs being rich as long as it’s self generated.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 30
diehardmariner
March 19, 2024, 1:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,614
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from MarinerMal

It is easier to put such stipulations on a sport when you are the only country in the world that plays that sport professionally. Football is played in just about every country around the world and so putting financial limits is always going to be problematic.

The only problem with the Premier League introducing financial limits is that they would effectively be handing over their mantle as the best league in the world.  You limit what clubs can spend and they'll have to cut their cloth accordingly, that inevitably would mean to spend on players wages and that highest calibre of player go to Spain, Germany, Italy, Saudi...wherever is prepared to pay top brass.

Personally I've absolutely no issue with that.  Was top flight football less enjoyable when it was Micky Quinn banging in goals as opposed to Erling Haaland?  Or when Gary McAllister was pulling midfield strings instead of Kevin De Bruyne?  

Of course it'll never happen because turkeys don't vote for Christmas.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 30
GollyGTFC
March 19, 2024, 3:09pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,961
Gold Stars: 356
Forest’s point deduction will be overturned. If the EFL weren’t legally allowed to sanction Leicester City for seasons when they were a member of the PL I don’t see how the PL can sanction Forest in relation to seasons when they were in the EFL.

Financial FairPlay is pointless in the PL. It should be abolished as it restricts the smaller clubs. If it was abolished it would be easier for smaller clubs to make rapid and large investments in their squad. The bigger clubs would still be restricted by the UEFA FFP system.

FFP was 100% introduced in the PL to stop another upstart like Leicester coming along and winning the title and taking a Champions Leagye slot.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 13 - 30
Meza
March 19, 2024, 5:21pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,639
Gold Stars: 50
It might have been introduced (FFP) due to the financial issues when Portsmouth got relegated.

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 30
crusty ole pie
March 19, 2024, 6:20pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,327
Gold Stars: 66
Quoted from ginnywings
The football governance bill is introduced into parliament today.

Can't help but feel it won't make a lot of difference as the wealthy clubs have been allowed to accrue too much power, but we live in hope.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68602074

Premiershite will find away round any attempt of the EFL getting share greedy batards totally ruined the game
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 30
louth_in_the_south
March 19, 2024, 6:24pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,681
Gold Stars: 96
At the end of the day Forests owner thought he was above the law and wildly overspent in the belief that they would only get a fine which he could afford as a self entitled billionaire. Worse case scenario they’d get a points deduction but it wouldn’t affect them because they’d signed players that would’ve got them in a safe position. Unluckily for Forest those £300m worth of players have done remarkably less well than Stavros imagined and now they might get relegated and lose £150m next season.
Shame . Forest cheated and they’ve got what they deserve. Hope them or Everton get relegated.

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 30
Meza
March 19, 2024, 6:40pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,639
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
At the end of the day Forests owner thought he was above the law and wildly overspent in the belief that they would only get a fine which he could afford as a self entitled billionaire. Worse case scenario they’d get a points deduction but it wouldn’t affect them because they’d signed players that would’ve got them in a safe position. Unluckily for Forest those £300m worth of players have done remarkably less well than Stavros imagined and now they might get relegated and lose £150m next season.
Shame . Forest cheated and they’ve got what they deserve. Hope them or Everton get relegated.

Yeah i did wonder at the time how signing 25+ players would have an impact on their season, it was a bit reckless to be fair and was a massive kick in the teeth for some of the players that help get them there and probably wouldn't get a look in.  They have also don't have Cooper who helped them stay up with all those players (probably some he didn't even ask for) and I think they will get relegated.  

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 30
acko338
March 19, 2024, 10:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,224
Gold Stars: 33
How can over 100 charges against Man City just keep  floating around without a proper investigation and penalties if found to have broken FFP rules.

Do City have better lawyers and able to fend off the charges because of their financial power ??
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 30
supertown
March 20, 2024, 7:27am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,447
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from acko338
How can over 100 charges against Man City just keep  floating around without a proper investigation and penalties if found to have broken FFP rules.

Do City have better lawyers and able to fend off the charges because of their financial power ??

It takes considerably longer to gather evidence for 100 charges than it does for 3 I guess . They do keep reiterating that they are a different type of offence though
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 30
louth_in_the_south
March 20, 2024, 8:52am

Exile
Man City know how to play this . As they’ve got over 100 charges they know they can drag this out . It’ll probably be at least a year . I don’t think they’re going to get away with it . They know they’re facing serious penalties. The thing is city are a new club in terms of success and don’t have the world wide fan base . Another thing the foreign ownership didn’t realise is an intrinsic part of football.
I’m guessing there’s a few clubs at the top end of PL and CL who are rubbing their hands at the prospect of Man City’s demise.

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 30
forza ivano
March 20, 2024, 9:05am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,178
Gold Stars: 265
You just know Citeh will get off with this. They're going to have the best lawyers money can buy n they're going to find loopholes n exemptions etc etc , theyve also got more resources than the PL so can play the long game
And finally you just know the PL will eventually cave in, they arent going to harm the best club in the world , who also have the deepest of pockets.

Expect a 3 point deduction to be announced once they are mathematically assured of the premiership!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 30
louth_in_the_south
March 20, 2024, 10:17am

Exile
This won’t happen, even though the cynic in me probably believes it. They’ve cheated on a spectacular scale because they thought that they’re above the law and have done some much philanthropy in E Manchester.
This is why Newcastle and PIF haven’t gone mad because they realise the consequences

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 30
GrimPol
March 20, 2024, 1:39pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -670
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from Maringer
Don't cry too much for Forest. Their billionaire Greek owner (who also owns the biggest club in Greece and one in Portugal) knew exactly what he was doing. Just thought he could get away with bending the rules, because he's always got away with it in the past with Olympiakos. On numerous occasions, in fact. Billionaires tend to get what they want so it must have caught him by surprise.

The sheer ludicrosity of a sustainability rule that allows clubs to lose £105 million over a three year period shows why the game is becoming a basket case in this country. So much money sloshing around, you can only imagine how much corruption must be taking place in the shadows.

"the NFL has got their sh!t sorted out"    To be fair, the Gridiron players in the NFL only ply their trade in the USA. It's therefore easy to control. They have something similar in Baseball.
If you curtailed wages in England, German, French, Spanish, Italian and a few more would step in and pinch them. It could be done at FIFA level or even UEFA, but since when were these organisations ever useful? The more money sloshing about, the more brown paper bags being stuffed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 30
ex-merseymariner
March 20, 2024, 4:18pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from acko338

Agree, I'm sick of this line being trotted out as an excuse, not by u acko, i  agree with u

If Z commits 100 suspected murder offences, they don't get given bail to keep murdering more.    Its like letting off an athletic cheat for multiple substances in the drugs test.  It's a feeble excuse. It's a competition, if it's not a level playing field, there's no point to it.

And then you've got the West ham guy Sullivan saying we don't need a regulator.   Ha.

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 30
Lincoln Mariner 56
March 20, 2024, 9:04pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

Agree, I'm sick of this line being trotted out as an excuse, not by u acko, i  agree with u

If Z commits 100 suspected murder offences, they don't get given bail to keep murdering more.    Its like letting off an athletic cheat for multiple substances in the drugs test.  It's a feeble excuse. It's a competition, if it's not a level playing field, there's no point to it.

And then you've got the West ham guy Sullivan saying we don't need a regulator.   Ha.

That would also be my observation as well. Why do all 115 charges have to be heard at once? I am sure the alleged fraudulent accounting charges may need some complex investigation and background work but the charges are there so the authorities have concluded their investigation so a date should have been set for a hearing if it only dealt with 25% of these.

Really is unacceptable way to run the game.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 30
HerveJosse
March 21, 2024, 11:44am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
This is ruining the game. First you had to check the linesman’s flag wasn’t up before you celebrated a goal 2 second delay to joy. Then you have you to wait up to 5 mins before Var decides not to interfere.now you have to hope the points aren’t taken off you months later ir the trophies snatched back years later. Just stop messing about with it it’s a simple game
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 30
louth_in_the_south
March 21, 2024, 11:51am

Exile
It just feeds the fire stick revolution. Why pay for a product that is getting worse by the season.

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 30
LocalLadGTFC
March 21, 2024, 11:56am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,214
Gold Stars: 137
So from what i've seen, Forest could be looking at further points deducted taking the total to 10 points deducted.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 28 - 30
louth_in_the_south
March 21, 2024, 12:07pm

Exile
Possibly Everton as well according to price of football podcast. Sheff Utd too far behind but may still give Burnley a chance of survival . Would make the end of the season interesting..

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 30
NorfolkImp
March 23, 2024, 4:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +11 / -10
Approval: -519
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from Les Brechin

Scunny v Man City next season then?  

There’s still enough time for a Double Treble before judgement day …. then it’s Alty away on a wet Tuesday night, most Blues I know can’t wait

Private Message
Reply: 30 - 30
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Forest points deduction

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.