Maringer
March 19, 2024, 1:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,509
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from MarinerMal

Nobody gets relegated or promoted in the NFL either making it a closed shop. The NFL's competition rules are more about protecting the current franchises than making sport fairer.

They also get their players from College football which is, in itself, big business, I suspect. The 'draft' of players is a good idea, but not really workable now that the big clubs have manufactured the EPPP to steal young talent from smaller clubs. Scumbags. The gutless F.A. shouldn't have allowed that to happen.

Doesn't change the fact that their system simply works better than the free for all we see in England, at least.

The big clubs here have always dominated, but there has been the odd outlier, such as when Leicester won remarkably the other year. I don't think that would be possible now, even though it is less than a decade later.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 30
Lincoln Mariner 56
March 19, 2024, 1:26pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Maringer

They also get their players from College football which is, in itself, big business, I suspect. The 'draft' of players is a good idea, but not really workable now that the big clubs have manufactured the EPPP to steal young talent from smaller clubs. Scumbags. The gutless F.A. shouldn't have allowed that to happen.

Doesn't change the fact that their system simply works better than the free for all we see in England, at least.

The big clubs here have always dominated, but there has been the odd outlier, such as when Leicester won remarkably the other year. I don't think that would be possible now, even though it is less than a decade later.

Agree with you re younger players and the current system is an absolute joke.

Reference trying to get equity in football that is, IMO, both unachievable and in itself unfair. I think there is a fundamental difference between clubs that generate their own incomes and those who are a billionaire’s play thing. Clubs with bigger crowds, better marketing and better facilities should be rewarded for this with Spurs being an excellent example of this with their new multi use stadium and surrounding infrastructure making them one of the top ten income generating clubs worldwide. In addition they have also invested significantly in the local community building educational facilities with plan to build affordable housing also in the pipeline.

Inequality comes about when clubs like Man City, Newcastle and Chelsea are owned by multiple billionaires and/or states who can in reality just keep pumping millions into their playing budgets every single season. In the lower leagues we have seen this with Wrexham and Stockport but at least these are supporting clubs with a long history and significant support base. Whereas Salford and Forest Green are vanity projects which in reality are never ever clubs who will attract even an average suppporter base never mind a significant one.

Major problem is always that most supporters are extatic when their clubs get a wealthy new owner believing the holy grail of the Premiership is within their grasp. As I say I don’t have a problem with big clubs being rich as long as it’s self generated.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 30
diehardmariner
March 19, 2024, 1:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,614
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from MarinerMal

It is easier to put such stipulations on a sport when you are the only country in the world that plays that sport professionally. Football is played in just about every country around the world and so putting financial limits is always going to be problematic.

Nobody gets relegated or promoted in the NFL either making it a closed shop. The NFL's competition rules are more about protecting the current franchises than making sport fairer.

The only problem with the Premier League introducing financial limits is that they would effectively be handing over their mantle as the best league in the world.  You limit what clubs can spend and they'll have to cut their cloth accordingly, that inevitably would mean to spend on players wages and that highest calibre of player go to Spain, Germany, Italy, Saudi...wherever is prepared to pay top brass.

Personally I've absolutely no issue with that.  Was top flight football less enjoyable when it was Micky Quinn banging in goals as opposed to Erling Haaland?  Or when Gary McAllister was pulling midfield strings instead of Kevin De Bruyne?  

Of course it'll never happen because turkeys don't vote for Christmas.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 30
GollyGTFC
March 19, 2024, 3:09pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,958
Gold Stars: 356
Forest’s point deduction will be overturned. If the EFL weren’t legally allowed to sanction Leicester City for seasons when they were a member of the PL I don’t see how the PL can sanction Forest in relation to seasons when they were in the EFL.

Financial FairPlay is pointless in the PL. It should be abolished as it restricts the smaller clubs. If it was abolished it would be easier for smaller clubs to make rapid and large investments in their squad. The bigger clubs would still be restricted by the UEFA FFP system.

FFP was 100% introduced in the PL to stop another upstart like Leicester coming along and winning the title and taking a Champions Leagye slot.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 13 - 30
Meza
March 19, 2024, 5:21pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,639
Gold Stars: 50
It might have been introduced (FFP) due to the financial issues when Portsmouth got relegated.

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 30
crusty ole pie
March 19, 2024, 6:20pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,327
Gold Stars: 66
Quoted from ginnywings
The football governance bill is introduced into parliament today.

Can't help but feel it won't make a lot of difference as the wealthy clubs have been allowed to accrue too much power, but we live in hope.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68602074

Premiershite will find away round any attempt of the EFL getting share greedy batards totally ruined the game
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 30
louth_in_the_south
March 19, 2024, 6:24pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,687
Gold Stars: 96
At the end of the day Forests owner thought he was above the law and wildly overspent in the belief that they would only get a fine which he could afford as a self entitled billionaire. Worse case scenario they’d get a points deduction but it wouldn’t affect them because they’d signed players that would’ve got them in a safe position. Unluckily for Forest those £300m worth of players have done remarkably less well than Stavros imagined and now they might get relegated and lose £150m next season.
Shame . Forest cheated and they’ve got what they deserve. Hope them or Everton get relegated.

Lower F5
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 30
Meza
March 19, 2024, 6:40pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,639
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
At the end of the day Forests owner thought he was above the law and wildly overspent in the belief that they would only get a fine which he could afford as a self entitled billionaire. Worse case scenario they’d get a points deduction but it wouldn’t affect them because they’d signed players that would’ve got them in a safe position. Unluckily for Forest those £300m worth of players have done remarkably less well than Stavros imagined and now they might get relegated and lose £150m next season.
Shame . Forest cheated and they’ve got what they deserve. Hope them or Everton get relegated.

Yeah i did wonder at the time how signing 25+ players would have an impact on their season, it was a bit reckless to be fair and was a massive kick in the teeth for some of the players that help get them there and probably wouldn't get a look in.  They have also don't have Cooper who helped them stay up with all those players (probably some he didn't even ask for) and I think they will get relegated.  

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 30
acko338
March 19, 2024, 10:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,224
Gold Stars: 33
How can over 100 charges against Man City just keep  floating around without a proper investigation and penalties if found to have broken FFP rules.

Do City have better lawyers and able to fend off the charges because of their financial power ??
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 30
supertown
March 20, 2024, 7:27am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,448
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from acko338
How can over 100 charges against Man City just keep  floating around without a proper investigation and penalties if found to have broken FFP rules.

Do City have better lawyers and able to fend off the charges because of their financial power ??

It takes considerably longer to gather evidence for 100 charges than it does for 3 I guess . They do keep reiterating that they are a different type of offence though
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 30
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Forest points deduction

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.