8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
March 18, 2024, 4:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,512
Gold Stars: 185
The fact is that this Hester guy has said something which is clearly racist and sexist yet apologised for being 'rude'. The Tory line is that he said something racist, sexist and aggressive ('she should be shot', let's not forget), but has apologised and yet not one of the BBC interviewers have pulled up the various Tory interviewees to point out that he apologised for something which he hasn't been accused of or been criticised for. People are rude about politicians all the time, we don't mind that much. Making racist and sexist comments is a bit different. Why hasn't a single one of these BBC journalists pushed in interviews to get the Tories to respond to Hester's non-apology? They surely can't all be incompetent?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 71
Maringer
March 18, 2024, 4:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,512
Gold Stars: 185
As for a replacement for Tondeur, I suppose the biggest point is that there has to be a willingness to give up your weekends for a substantial chunk of the year, plus lots of travel for midweek games as well. Easier for a fan to do, but could put a lot of strain on family relationships. Would Burns even be interested in the job, given these demands and the fact that he's not exactly a spring chicken any longer?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 71
immariner
March 18, 2024, 6:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,413
Gold Stars: 61
Will miss Tondeur's dulcet tones as the voice of the Mariners and his commentary accompanying iFollow is great. But I stopped listening to his radio commentary years ago because you'd have no idea where the ball was on the pitch until "and there's the goal". I know others love his commentary though. Wish him all the best in his radio retirement
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 71
arryarryarry
March 19, 2024, 2:02am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,047
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from wigworld

How does Jimmy Savile have anything to do with the BBC being left wing? Given his wealth, I'd expect he was more right wng.

The BBC are often accused by the right of being too left wing, and accused by the left of being too right wing. That suggests to me they're getting it about right.

Not sure what political leanings twit Saville had but the BBC should have been shut down once it became clear that some senior staff were aware of some of his antics and did nothing but let him carry on assaulting young girls, having sex with vulnerable old women, some mentally vulnerable women and even deceased women.

The bloke was a girl private of the highest order and it's a flipping disgrace that the BBC let him get away with it.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 71
Yarborough Vaults
March 19, 2024, 6:15am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +214
Gold Stars: 32
We're lucky to have the BBC in this country. It's good value with excellent content, and streaming platforms can't get close to it for viewing while the radio stands head and shoulders above commercial.

The sad demise of local papers holding people to account also means the BBC is now more important than ever. From a Town perspective I'd hope Burnsy gets the gig as he is a top operator (so is JT). No complaints if it is Matt Dean either.

Imagine a world full of PR bull from owners or sanitised opinion through lackey media. It would be a complete waste of time. If we're not careful that's what we'll end up with and be much worse off as a result.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 71
blundellpork
March 19, 2024, 7:01am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,655
Gold Stars: 32
Completely agree Yarborough Vaults. The BBC might have its faults (everyone/ everything does), but it’s far better than anything else out there. Be careful what you wish for.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 71
Azimuth
March 19, 2024, 7:10am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +694
Gold Stars: 60
Quoted from chaos33

What was ‘disgraceful’ about it? It might have been unpopular, unfortunate, unfair even,  but disgraceful?
Your confirmation bias just drives you to twist anything remotely related to the BBC as being improper or left wing, or some other nonsense.

What utter drivel, you have attempted to twist what I said.
I didnt mention left wing or anything remotely political.
I stated that David Burns was treated disgracefully by the BBC, which is my opinion and the last time I looked we were all entitled to one of those.
My opinion is based on his excellent presenting of Local content, support for local bands and artists and last but not least his sports commentry.
The fact he won Radio Presenter of the Year three times and was then told he was no longer needed was in my opinion a disgrace and shameful of the BBC.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 71
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 19, 2024, 1:32pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,277
Gold Stars: 306
Quoted from wigworld

How does Jimmy Savile have anything to do with the BBC being left wing? Given his wealth, I'd expect he was more right wng.

The BBC are often accused by the right of being too left wing, and accused by the left of being too right wing. That suggests to me they're getting it about right.

Jimmy Saville was a known Conservative supporter and public admirer of Margaret Thatcher. He was knighted under the Thatcher administration.
He was also a de facto advisor to her and she appointed him to lead a task force to review Broadmoor Hospital. A decision that led to him gaining power in the hospital and increased access to patients.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 71
Grimsby Is Not In Yorkshire
March 19, 2024, 9:11pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Approval: +244
Gold Stars: 17
Cannot stand BBC, way too left leaning. If you think they’re impartial why did they refuse to call hamas terrorists when they executed thousands of innocent Israelis last year? I bet if it had been the other way around they’d have called the IDF terrorists. Gary Linekar sums the beeb up for me. No thanks.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 71
chaos33
March 19, 2024, 9:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Cannot stand BBC, way too left leaning. If you think they’re impartial why did they refuse to call hamas terrorists when they executed thousands of innocent Israelis last year? I bet if it had been the other way around they’d have called the IDF terrorists. Gary Linekar sums the beeb up for me. No thanks.

Spectacularly missing the reality of who runs the country. Still, crack on with that and your GB News….

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 71
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › JT’s succesor

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.