chaos33
March 18, 2024, 7:35am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from Heisenberg

Who on earth would try to deny that the BBC was anything other than improper and left wing?! If Jimmy savile was still alive, he’d still have people at the top trying to give him a job!

Absolute cobblers.
The Head of the BBC is a Tory appointee.
Doubtless this comes from some simplistic notion that the BBC is a ‘state broadcaster’ with a more or less compulsory purchase licence fee. When the usual dimwits squawk about the BBC  having a left wing bias, what they mean is - they have a few journalists who challenge the government and try to hold them to account. Of course, those people in power don’t like or want that, so now, there’s the narrative peddled that if you can understand data and form cogent opinions based on research and reflection, then you’re a ‘lefty’.  Coincidentally, the last 14 years have seen that reality take firm hold. The British public gaslit day after day, and political discussion programmes forced to endure the views of non experts, grifters, incompetents, and proven liars in the interests of ‘balance’ - see Nigel Farage the most common participant on Question Time and Kwasi Kwarteng on Lura Kunesburg last week for example. Without the BBC this country’s media would be in a terrible state and you’d have no local radio and tv at all, to say nothing of all of the other content they produce.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 71
SpiritOf98
March 18, 2024, 9:50am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Approval: +281
Gold Stars: 6
I think Matt would be fine, the quality of the commentary is defined by the co-commentator for me and to that end I hope we hear more from Crofty & Gritton. Oh, and Alex Rodman was very good a few weeks back, but unlikely to feature regularly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 71
lee65
March 18, 2024, 10:47am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,486
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from SpiritOf98
I think Matt would be fine, the quality of the commentary is defined by the co-commentator for me and to that end I hope we hear more from Crofty & Gritton. Oh, and Alex Rodman was very good a few weeks back, but unlikely to feature regularly.

Totally agree, MD is decent, and the three mentioned above bring good knowledge and a nice degree of reminiscence and humour
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 71
Abdul19
March 18, 2024, 11:49am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,567
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from HerveJosse
Any suggestions on JTs successor . Probably someone with a journalistic background rather than ex player. Please not Nigel Lowther (int it !)

How many ex player commentators has there been?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 71
wigworld
March 18, 2024, 1:05pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from Heisenberg

Who on earth would try to deny that the BBC was anything other than improper and left wing?! If Jimmy savile was still alive, he’d still have people at the top trying to give him a job!

How does Jimmy Savile have anything to do with the BBC being left wing? Given his wealth, I'd expect he was more right wng.

The BBC are often accused by the right of being too left wing, and accused by the left of being too right wing. That suggests to me they're getting it about right.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 44 - 71
GrimPol
March 18, 2024, 1:07pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -674
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from SpiritOf98

Actually Rodman had done his homework on town so "knew his stuff" but I'm bit disappointed with Croft.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 71
RichMariner
March 18, 2024, 1:20pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,135
Gold Stars: 209
I enjoyed the time they had Anthony Limbrick on co-comms, when we lost at Wrexham a few years back. He was very knowledgeable tactically and gave a very different perspective.

Not that he's interested in being a commentator, but worth mentioning since we're talking about the importance of co-commentators in helping to describe the action.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 46 - 71
jamesgtfc
March 18, 2024, 1:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,967
Gold Stars: 190
In terms of the commentator, I think there is more than enough quality from Matt Dean, Mike White and Ollie Turner. I wouldn't be surprised to see it rotated, and that isn't a bad thing as everyone sees things differently. The co-commentator role is an important one though, I really like hearing what Gary Cohen has to say.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 71
gtfc98
March 18, 2024, 4:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 68
Imagine it'll be shared between Matt Dean and Scott Woodthorpe. Both big town fans.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 71
AncientExiledMariner
March 18, 2024, 4:28pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.51
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from wigworld

How does Jimmy Savile have anything to do with the BBC being left wing? Given his wealth, I'd expect he was more right wng.

The BBC are often accused by the right of being too left wing, and accused by the left of being too right wing. That suggests to me they're getting it about right.

The problem is, is if the right-wing are trying to defend racism, and the left are trying to say it's wrong. The middle ground BBC, would be all up in the "some would say this is racism, but is it really racism, and is racism always really a bad thing?".

You just cannot take the middle ground on some issues and have to call it out, despite accusations of bias. If the right and left both think the BBC is excrement, maybe it's not unbiased (which is impossible), but maybe it is a bit excrement. Ultimately, it's mostly posh liberal journalists who cannot comprehend anything other than the status quo being good, because it's been really good for them.

And to truly understand bias, you'd have to understand the Overton window, and how it has shifted rightwards over the decades. Left-wing means common ownership of the means of production (nationalisation in a nutshell), which the BBC would frame as fringe and radical. What people often perceive as left and right is right wing (free-market capitalism, or even neoliberalism), versus centre politics (private ownership still, but with some accepted redistribution of wealth within the confines of a free market system, which is liberalism). If people were to think BBC was left-wing, they would be demonstrating a clear lack of understanding of what it means.

Of course, this conversation is all a distraction, because the only bias we care about is if it all focuses on 'ull, or whether we get a good hearing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 71
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › JT’s succesor

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.