3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Gaffer58
February 17, 2024, 4:53pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Are we becoming a yo-yo club between league 2 and the conference, over the last 10 years that’s where we’ve been playing with no indication that we could get anywhere near the playoffs, and it could be another relegation down there this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
TAGG
February 17, 2024, 4:55pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,971
Gold Stars: 124
I won't be renewing next season 1 if we go down, I've had my two stints in that excrement league & 2 if this idiot is still in charge.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 24
wigworld
February 17, 2024, 7:51pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
Historically we've been a yoyo club between leagues 2 and 4.
4 and 5?  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 24
RexFannies
February 17, 2024, 7:59pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +517
Gold Stars: 5
If we go down we will be a Yo club as I can’t see us ever getting the 2nd Yo

The Only Way Is Up
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 3 - 24
tashee69
February 17, 2024, 8:13pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +955
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from wigworld
Historically we've been a yoyo club between leagues 2 and 4.
4 and 5?  

We’ve never stayed in Division 3 for more than one season since my first game in 1977. We always shoot out of it one way or another

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 24
The Caterham Mariner
February 17, 2024, 8:53pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +80
Gold Stars: 8
Yep !!!   We are looking at turning ourselves into
"Whore's Draws FC" .... You know what annoyed as i am this Saturday evening ...   Yes count me in I will be there at the games i can get to whatever league we end up next season
And in the cold light of day tomorrow  i won't  be the only one.

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 24
GrimRob
February 17, 2024, 9:03pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Chesterfield are the last of the stronger clubs from when we were in the National League not to make it up. Finishing 2nd or 3rd gives you one less play-off game so I feel that if we did go down a top 3 finish is not beyond us. If we didn't come back quickly though I think we'd just stay non-league for a long time. The gap between League and non-league could well widen next season with the new TV deal, it should make the L2 clubs have more money which could see some of the best NL players leave.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 24
FishySmithy
February 17, 2024, 9:50pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Approval: +36
Gold Stars: 3
If we go down we won’t be back for some time, we’re will the big bounce come from the years we got up from NL was operation promotion, and new owners bounce this time if it happens it’s in the worst possible circumstances as not just a quick fix and as simple as change.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 24
February 17, 2024, 9:53pm
Guest User
Quoted from GrimRob
The gap between League and non-league could well widen next season with the new TV deal, it should make the L2 clubs have more money which could see some of the best NL players leave.

I remember this being announced and thinking thank god we’re not Scunny. 😕
Reply: 8 - 24
GrimRob
February 17, 2024, 10:01pm

Well since we've moved into the film making industry the sequel will have to be a horror movie.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 9 - 24
toontown
February 17, 2024, 10:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from GrimRob
Chesterfield are the last of the stronger clubs from when we were in the National League not to make it up. Finishing 2nd or 3rd gives you one less play-off game so I feel that if we did go down a top 3 finish is not beyond us. If we didn't come back quickly though I think we'd just stay non-league for a long time. The gap between League and non-league could well widen next season with the new TV deal, it should make the L2 clubs have more money which could see some of the best NL players leave.

Totally agree with this. What is the new TV deal worth per soeson for league clubs ve before and what is the parachute payment? Last time it was 1m for a league team and I got about half that as a parachute
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 24
GrimRob
February 17, 2024, 10:16pm

Quoted from toontown

Totally agree with this. What is the new TV deal worth per soeson for league clubs ve before and what is the parachute payment? Last time it was 1m for a league team and I got about half that as a parachute

Not sure what the financial details are but it's a big change. If we miss out it will be a real blow, non-league will be left behind, even BT might not bother with it. only plus point is 3pm Saturday kos.

https://www.skysports.com/foot.....0-matches-per-season

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 11 - 24
pen penfras
February 18, 2024, 5:25pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from GrimRob

Not sure what the financial details are but it's a big change. If we miss out it will be a real blow, non-league will be left behind, even BT might not bother with it. only plus point is 3pm Saturday kos.

https://www.skysports.com/foot.....0-matches-per-season

Unless there's enforced rules, clubs will still spend it all on player salaries. The financial gap will widen, but we'd be competing with NL clubs so should still have a big pull.

I don't want to go down, but at least we win more than we lose down there. I prefer that to what we've had in every L2 season since Slade left the first time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 24
arryarryarry
February 18, 2024, 5:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,044
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from GrimRob

With the current manager and squad I don't think we would be anywhere near a top 3 finish.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 24
GrimRob
February 18, 2024, 6:00pm

Quoted from arryarryarry

With the current manager and squad I don't think we would be anywhere near a top 3 finish.

There's not a cat in hells chance he'll be here next season. He's already had the vote of confidence. He'll be gone in the next week.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 14 - 24
davmariner
February 18, 2024, 6:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,929
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from GrimRob

There's not a cat in hells chance he'll be here next season. He's already had the vote of confidence. He'll be gone in the next week.

God I really hope you’re right. We might actually stay up.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 24
GrimRob
February 18, 2024, 6:06pm

Quoted from davmariner

God I really hope you’re right. We might actually stay up.

The players are probably as desperate as all of us for him to go. Morecambe home win will be a racing certainty if we're daft enough to give him another game. No way he'll be given FGR.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 16 - 24
buckstown
February 18, 2024, 6:41pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,180
Gold Stars: 79
I'm 70 and I guess a lot of people my age who've seen Town play in what's now the championship, hold the view that we should be a league one team at worst.
However, the last couple of weeks I'm thinking that maybe we just going to be a crappy league 2 team at best. It's a really depressing thought and I'm struggling to get my head round the reason. We're well supported and surely to goodness we should be able to compete with the likes of Wycombe?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 24
It Bites
February 18, 2024, 6:50pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,164
Gold Stars: 264
I’ll be honest I’ve felt we had become a yo-yo club for a few years now . It’s looking like PH performed miracles last season and perhaps should of been given January to sort out the mess , (whoever caused it ) . I wasn’t happy with performances under PH and assumed the players had got bored with his approach this season? They perked up a bit when Artell arrived telling the media how much they were enjoying training etc . Then it goes mammaries up again . Someone is responsible for signing these players most of which remind me of every spineless wage stealers we’ve been attracting for 20 years .

In case your wondering I’ve given up trying to offer them my support after that disgraceful excuse for football in that 2nd half
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 24
arryarryarry
February 18, 2024, 6:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob

Let's hope so but it isn't just a case of getting rid of the manager but a wholesale change in the playing staff as well as a complete overhaul of the way we choose new players.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 24
GrimRob
February 18, 2024, 7:07pm

Quoted from arryarryarry

Let's hope so but it isn't just a case of getting rid of the manager but a wholesale change in the playing staff as well as a complete overhaul of the way we choose new players.

Not sure I agree with that. Most of the players were greeted positively when we signed them. Go back and look it's all on here. Most of them are on paper good enough and many have played at a similar level. We've had injuries and confidence has been low. Many of them will go on and play at a similar level again and write off this phase of their careers. If they were so terrible why were their signings greeted with such hope? Sometimes players don't gel it happens at every club.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 20 - 24
arryarryarry
February 18, 2024, 7:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob

Not sure I agree with that. Most of the players were greeted positively when we signed them. Go back and look it's all on here. Most of them are on paper good enough and many have played at a similar level. We've had injuries and confidence has been low. Many of them will go on and play at a similar level again and write off this phase of their careers. If they were so terrible why were their signings greeted with such hope? Sometimes players don't gel it happens at every club.

That's because some don't know any better. I never comment on new players until I've seen them play.

After a few games many thought Mullarkey was the best right back we have had for years yet now he is one of the worst.

Watching the past few performances I would want most of the current squad got rid of.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 24
GrimRob
February 18, 2024, 7:20pm

Quoted from arryarryarry

That's because some don't know any better. I never comment on new players until I've seen them play.

After a few games many thought Mullarkey was the best right back we have had for years yet now he is one of the worst.

Watching the past few performances I would want most of the current squad got rid of.

But how to pay for it? All the best players are going to get snapped up by the other clubs in the division. We have one of the lowest budgets if these sites that publish them are to believed. We also have the geographical issue. Top quality L2 players are just out of our reach. Presumably we've spent the budget on the players we have. All we can hope to do is gamble on young players and sell them on which means we barely have them for any time. I hate to say it but basically we are a yo yo club with our current ground and facilities.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 22 - 24
IlkleyMariner
February 18, 2024, 7:25pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
I’m developing a new approach for my football fix.

1. Divide clubs up into three categories……successful big clubs on tele
2. Big local clubs
3. Non league friendly places

On that basis I am going to support

1. Liverpool, Arsenal, Man U, Barcelona
2. Leeds United, Middlesbrough
3. Grimsby, Karesborough {nice pies} and Harrogate Railway (grandson under 10 years)

Hopefully I can get some enjoyment out of that at minimal cost.
The pies at Knaresborough are great, and my grandson can only get better.

Call me an old cynic, but I don’t have the time left to waste any days in my life……
……except next Saturday at Morecambe,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 24
February 18, 2024, 7:38pm
Guest User
Questions must be answered as to why no other funders and investors in the region have elected to invest in gtfc, despite investments in green energy locally.

Other wise Yo Yo is a possibility.
Reply: 24 - 24
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Yo-Yo club

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.