Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Lincoln City
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Lincoln City

This thread currently has 34,101 views. Print
31 Pages Prev ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 Next All Recommend Thread
RonMariner
March 18, 2024, 11:14am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,721
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from NorfolkImp
A very good argument regarding sustainability, and no it really isn’t.

I think all Imps under the age of 70 (that’s probably 99%) just want 1 season in the 2nd Tier because that’s how long we’d last. Becoming a yo-yo club like Rotherham would be an attractive proposition though come to think of it. Promotion (as Champions preferably) one year, relegation the next.

Time will tell of course, my main concern is how long Skubala will last before he is snapped up, which he undoubtedly will be if he carries on like this?

You have a great chance of going up. Your momentum is tremendous at the moment.  It is certainly worth getting into the championship because you are bound to have a few truly memorable away days win lose or draw. When we were up there we won at Chelsea, Newcastle, Wolves, Sheffield United, and many others. I can scarcely believe that now.

Starting in 1980 we actually spent 17 of the next 22 seasons in the championship. I think that is more or less impossible for a club of our size now. What really did for us was the ITV Digital fiasco. We were promised millions, brought in expensive players in expectation of getting the funding, and were then left high and dry when the TV companies pulled the plug and the inept EFL had neglected to get a parent company guarantee. It's been pretty much a downward spiral since then.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 210 - 302
TownSNAFU5
March 18, 2024, 1:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,883
Gold Stars: 42
Poojah, don’t forget Scunny also had the “lazy” McAtee?  I wonder what happened to him?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 211 - 302
RonMariner
March 18, 2024, 1:59pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,721
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Poojah, don’t forget Scunny also had the “lazy” McAtee?  I wonder what happened to him?

In a great bit of business they managed to off load him to another club down the road. Some NL club apparently. What mugs they must have been.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 212 - 302
Mappers
March 18, 2024, 2:04pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,333
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from RonMariner

In a great bit of business they managed to off load him to another club down the road. Some NL club apparently. What mugs they must have been.

They might be going, going gone Ron

Part time at least if they don't make it up you would think .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 213 - 302
Son of Cod
March 18, 2024, 2:07pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from Heisenberg

Let’s give them credit, they are killing it right now. Playoff certainties. Fair play. That new manager is working wonders.

Mind you, if they go up, those £3m annual write-offs the owner sanctions will seem small fry - the Bristol city owner has to sign a cheque for £25m each year, and they’ve never even troubled the Prem. Crazy land.

League 1 is better-the-devil-you-know…….

There's giving them credit and then there's going OTT. Playoff certainties? They're in a five team battle for the last spot and they're two points off that spot right now. They're on a superb run but L1 is an unforgiving division and form can just disappear. Nobody seems to be able to hack the pressure of holding onto that 6th spot. Lincoln are favourites looking at current form but I wouldn't be surprised to see them get in the driving seat and bottle it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 214 - 302
Poojah
March 18, 2024, 2:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,588
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from Son of Cod

There's giving them credit and then there's going OTT. Playoff certainties? They're in a five team battle for the last spot and they're two points off that spot right now. They're on a superb run but L1 is an unforgiving division and form can just disappear. Nobody seems to be able to hack the pressure of holding onto that 6th spot. Lincoln are favourites looking at current form but I wouldn't be surprised to see them get in the driving seat and bottle it.

Didn't they come from absolutely nowhere to make the League Two play-offs in the 2005/06 season, where they faced (and lost) to us?

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 215 - 302
Son of Cod
March 18, 2024, 2:40pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Didn't they come from absolutely nowhere to make the League Two play-offs in the 2005/06 season, where they faced (and lost) to us?

Yeah, they certainly weren't up there for a big chunk of the season. Had some decent players, Forrester and Frecklington ripped us apart at Sincil Bank in the league. Most of the players in both lineups either fell into the physical (fast or cloggery) or silky bracket. Even despite a lack of pace, Gary Jones was arguably the one player in both squads that was most well rounded and he was the diffedence in the playoff semi. Quite how we got his red card rescinded for the final, I'll never know.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 216 - 302
Poojah
March 18, 2024, 2:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,588
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from Son of Cod

Yeah, they certainly weren't up there for a big chunk of the season. Had some decent players, Forrester and Frecklington ripped us apart at Sincil Bank in the league. Most of the players in both lineups either fell into the physical (fast or cloggery) or silky bracket. Even despite a lack of pace, Gary Jones was arguably the one player in both squads that was most well rounded and he was the diffedence in the playoff semi. Quite how we got his red card rescinded for the final, I'll never know.

I tried to find footage of the incident on Twitter, but all l was able to find was evidence that if you’re called Gary Jones, red cards don’t count.

Tweet 537285868529410048 will appear here...

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 217 - 302
Son of Cod
March 18, 2024, 3:37pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

I tried to find footage of the incident on Twitter, but all l was able to find was evidence that if you’re called Gary Jones, red cards don’t count.

Tweet 537285868529410048 will appear here...

Ha!

I thought I was watching the 5-0 defeat here for at first, have no recollection of two Lincoln offside goals at the start of the tie but here are the highlights from both playoff matches, about 5:30 for Lump's red...

Absolute limbs in the away end in the first leg when we score.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 218 - 302
nealeardleyscrossing
March 18, 2024, 3:46pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: -322
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from Son of Cod

I would personally be surprised if we would get a play - off place. As mentioned, we are on a great run, but I thought we missed an opportunity against Stevenage who, despite what Steve Evans said, parked the bus and spoiled a game of football. What is remarkable is we are missing our two central midfielders in Hamilton and McGrandles who are both excellent, Now with Erhannon banned we will have a conundrum.

Not going to get on really on the financial issues discussed, but what I would say is we are debt free (Despite the losses), they are not saddled on the club or against assets. What we do have going for us is that we have marketable assets now in players (Bar Taylor) who is Luton's player. We were always short of strikers as there is such a big gap in L2 and L1 - You can see that with what the lad on loan from us at Donny Adelukan) is doing by tearing up the league - He was out his depth in L1 by a distance.

We have 2-3 players in my opinion that would command fee's near 7 figures and fortunately we own them - But, when we sell, which we will do, it is how we replace them.

As a side issue as mentioned on previous posts I always thought you would be safe, it would have been a travesty if a club with your history and fanbase were in the National League again - Plenty deserve to be down there and probably are more comfortable there - With a bit of Luck it will be Forest Green.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 219 - 302
31 Pages Prev ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Lincoln City

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.