Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,713
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from GrimRob
Long time since we won a league.  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 34
chaos33
May 30, 2023, 6:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Absolutely pointless piffle based on no/few signings and someone’s opinion.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 34
thefish
May 30, 2023, 7:55pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -1
Approval: +2,267
Gold Stars: 67
Quoted from chaos33
Absolutely pointless piffle based on no/few signings and someone’s opinion.

However, based on probable budgets/form so there is some rationale behind the odds.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 34
Grim up north
May 30, 2023, 8:07pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +689
Gold Stars: 1
Donny already made some good signings , a decent manager and the chairman’s backing them this year. Gillingham have big money backers, probably as rich as any in the EFL so will bring in quality.Looks a tougher league next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 34
lukeo
May 30, 2023, 8:58pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
I'd never back town to win the league because I think its too unrealistic. But I will be putting us in my lucky 15 to be promoted again  
Out of the 4 teams this season I got 2 so I get my money back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 34
HerveJosse
May 30, 2023, 9:13pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
So of the last four teams to be promoted from the National League three are placed 1.2 and 3 and the fourth is placed sixteenth.

The fourth did knock the 1st and 3rd out in last years play offs and did the double over the 2nd in the league this year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 34
Mappers
May 31, 2023, 6:10am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,324
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Mariner_09

Hurst's way has always been to have a core of 16-18 players and then bulk out the squad with loanees who we traditionally won't be paying much for, so we're kind of following it already.

I'd look at it like this, what are the positions that make the single biggest difference in and of themselves? Goalkeeper and centre forward are the answers. If you push the boat out for those two positions, add it to the other 8-9, which are already, at the very least, competitive against anyone in this league and I think that's a lot of those points made up already.

Then we fill out the side/squad with equivalents of current players who are more physical. Having seen Wednesday, Luton and Carlisle go up this weekend, it seems like being big and physical is a necessity to compete at the sharp end of any division within the League. Hurst has alluded to that in interviews throughout the season so he'll be one step ahead of us on that one.

I actually thought in the main, over the last couple of seasons Hurst has built more of a well rounded squad , based on a larger pool of players all at a more similiar level on what you would assume similiar wages . Last season it was pretty much 2 players for very position , nip and tuck who was better - Glennon/Amos , Waterfall,Maher,Smith and Pearson . Green /Morris . Holahan/ Clifton  etc etc you would say we were pretty heavy squad wise last season ; the loans probably bulked it out to 25-30 players for most of the season .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 34
Mappers
May 31, 2023, 6:12am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,324
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from diehardmariner

Heard that and agree he does come across well, especially when he has the opportunity to measure his responses.  It's when he's caught on the cuff that his true colours shine through.  

He's also full of complete shite.  Stevenage will have had a decent budget for a squad, not just a bare eleven.  He wouldn't have entertained going to a club who were looking to do it on a shoestring.  Regardless of any personal opinions of him, he's a good manager with good stock.  He can afford to turn down offers that look too tricky.  

Yet to hear a player speak well of him, yet they all universally say that he's great at getting a tune out of players.  Even if they all hate him.  That's an art in itself.

Yeah , I don't know how he does it as players celebrate when he leaves their club .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 34
chaos33
May 31, 2023, 7:59am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from thefish

However, based on probable budgets/form so there is some rationale behind the odds.

‘Probable form’?? There’s no such thing. It’s based on an assessment of last season, a guess at budgets and a perception of ‘bigness’ or a relative idea of a ‘natural level’ for clubs.

Until clubs have assembled squads, it’s guesswork odds, not science.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 34
thefish
May 31, 2023, 10:04am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -1
Approval: +2,267
Gold Stars: 67
Quoted from chaos33

‘Probable form’?? There’s no such thing. It’s based on an assessment of last season, a guess at budgets and a perception of ‘bigness’ or a relative idea of a ‘natural level’ for clubs.

Until clubs have assembled squads, it’s guesswork odds, not science.

The probable fits with the word ‘budget’… and probably should’ve read ‘best estimate’ as I’m sure bookies are only estimating.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 34
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › League 2 2023/24 Odds

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.