Reply: 10 - 34
Mappers
May 30, 2023, 2:14pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,332
Gold Stars: 118
Wonder what Stevenage & Carlisle were last season ?
Guessing longer odds than us this time out.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 34
OddShapedBalls
May 30, 2023, 2:17pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,191
Gold Stars: 39
Ludicrous odds, be interesting to see what those odds look like at the end of the transfer window and compare
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 34
Les Brechin
May 30, 2023, 2:34pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,713
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from mimma
Is that for the title Les or promotion?

The title.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 34
buckstown
May 30, 2023, 3:06pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,179
Gold Stars: 79
All seem fairly sensible to me. As others have said it's guess work based on an estimate of what they'll do in the window.
I'm surprised Wrexham are as high as 7/2 cos they'll be signing some very very good players.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 34
Mappers
May 30, 2023, 3:17pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,332
Gold Stars: 118
I know he is a bit daft but Steve Evans was on a podcast this week talking about how they got promoted.

He actually comes over well once you get over all the pantomine villain stuff , but more interestingly he said at the start of last season he recognised Stevenage could not compete with other clubs in terms of budget and building a squad compared  to a lot of the teams in league 2 but effectively 'loaded up 'the budget  on a quality first 11 with little after that and focused on keeping them fit and nursing players through with pretty little training .

It worked , and he's been pretty succesful lower down .
I am not suggesting we should do that , or that it would work all the time , but it shows how variably a budget can be used and one of the reasons why the table will no way reflect that odds table .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 34
Mariner_09
May 30, 2023, 3:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from Mappers
I know he is a bit daft but Steve Evans was on a podcast this week talking about how they got promoted.

He actually comes over well once you get over all the pantomine villain stuff , but more interestingly he said at the start of last season he recognised Stevenage could not compete with other clubs in terms of budget and building a squad compared  to a lot of the teams in league 2 but effectively 'loaded up 'the budget  on a quality first 11 with little after that and focused on keeping them fit and nursing players through with pretty little training .

I am not suggesting we should do that , or that it would work all the time , but it shows how variably a budget can be used and one of the reasons why the table will no way reflect that odds table .

Hurst's way has always been to have a core of 16-18 players and then bulk out the squad with loanees who we traditionally won't be paying much for, so we're kind of following it already.

I'd look at it like this, what are the positions that make the single biggest difference in and of themselves? Goalkeeper and centre forward are the answers. If you push the boat out for those two positions, add it to the other 8-9, which are already, at the very least, competitive against anyone in this league and I think that's a lot of those points made up already.

Then we fill out the side/squad with equivalents of current players who are more physical. Having seen Wednesday, Luton and Carlisle go up this weekend, it seems like being big and physical is a necessity to compete at the sharp end of any division within the League. Hurst has alluded to that in interviews throughout the season so he'll be one step ahead of us on that one.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 34
GrimRob
May 30, 2023, 3:58pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,415
Gold Stars: 113
Long time since we won a league.  

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 17 - 34
diehardmariner
May 30, 2023, 4:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,632
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from Mappers

Heard that and agree he does come across well, especially when he has the opportunity to measure his responses.  It's when he's caught on the cuff that his true colours shine through.  

He's also full of complete shite.  Stevenage will have had a decent budget for a squad, not just a bare eleven.  He wouldn't have entertained going to a club who were looking to do it on a shoestring.  Regardless of any personal opinions of him, he's a good manager with good stock.  He can afford to turn down offers that look too tricky.  

Yet to hear a player speak well of him, yet they all universally say that he's great at getting a tune out of players.  Even if they all hate him.  That's an art in itself.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 34
diehardmariner
May 30, 2023, 4:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,632
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from Son of Cod

Think they were top 7 over the course of the second half of the season, weren't they? They'll be spending again this window, so it makes sense the bookies will put them as one of the faves.

Massively weighted by 19 points out of 24 after their new signings came in from mid-Jan to late-Feb.  After that run, which got them clear,  22 points out of 45.  The first run is title-winning form, at a canter too.  The run towards the end of the season is higher mid-table form, would have got them 66 points over the course of the season.  Still 9 points off the top 7 and only 5 points above us.

Guess you can cut these runs of forms as many ways as you want, they did enough to get out of the state they were in but I'm not sure it's enough to suggest they are serious challengers based on it.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 34
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › League 2 2023/24 Odds

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.