Son of Cod
April 20, 2023, 11:09am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from Mappers

These stats can be quite flawed though , players like Carrick and Busquets always had seriously high pass completion rate  yet just rolled it to the CB's / sidewards all game .

Haha yes Carrick and Busquets famously overrated passers of the ball, exceptional take there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 125
MuddyWaters
April 20, 2023, 11:34am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from diehardmariner
That's interesting regards Morris/Green with their ball retention.  I would have thought Morris' ball retention rate would be much higher because he often plays a very simple, short pass to the nearest player to him.

If we're talking ideal world and we've got someone in that holding midfield role (again, talking about a 3-man midfield rather than a 2) then you want someone who isn't just there to break up play but also ping it about effectively too.  There's an art to retaining possession but then there's actually doing something with that possession too.  Not every pass has to be one that splits a defence apart.  But the pass needs a purpose, even if it's just slightly building up the chain by moving someone out of place slightly or picking up the tempo.  As harsh as it sounds, I don't see that when Morris passes the ball, it's akin to those free-kicks where one player moves it forward about three inches for the other player to then make a simple pass to someone else.

Morris' positional sense is ok but just that.  It's not exceptional.   He'll react to play quite play but he doesn't anticipate.  Again, it's very aspirational and difficult to get at this level but if we're deploying someone in that role they need to have something that really justifies it.  Unfortunately I don't think Morris has that in his locker.  Green on the otherhand does have his sheer tenacity and for all his criticism rather his actual footballing ability I think he's alright.  His anticipation of play is far better than he gets credit for, which is why he often manages to get in the way of opposition play.  Same with Waterfall, that doesn't continually happen by luck.

The emergence of Khouri will add a different element to how Hurst looks at his midfield next season, as will our ability/inability to hold onto Clifton.

The alternative argument might be that there's a reason Morris has played League One and why Green's career has been almost exclusively non league. If we are to progress, we need better players and other players in the past who had 'tenacity' as an attribute could also either add goals, movement or aerial ability - in Paul Groves and John Cockerill's case, all of the above.
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 125
Zmariner
April 20, 2023, 11:40am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from Maringer

On Tuesday, a few of his passes went astray in the first half, which was much the same as most of his teammates. Much better in the second as he kept it simple and retained possession well.

He's not a silky ball player, but I wouldn't say he's any worse at keeping possession than Holohan. There's always room for a grafter alongside the better ball players. Unless we sign better, of course.

Completely agree on the second half he played a lot of simple passes after winning the ball. He won his battles and shirked nothing. I thought he was the best of the midfield, the better ball players need to step up as he did his job very well for me. Utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 125
diehardmariner
April 20, 2023, 2:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,716
Gold Stars: 543
Quoted from MuddyWaters

The alternative argument might be that there's a reason Morris has played League One and why Green's career has been almost exclusively non league. If we are to progress, we need better players and other players in the past who had 'tenacity' as an attribute could also either add goals, movement or aerial ability - in Paul Groves and John Cockerill's case, all of the above.

Yep, fair points.  

You can also counter that Morris' career appears to be on a downward trajectory whereas Green's is upwards.

No doubt that neither Morris or Green are likely to be good enough to take us back to levels we all remember fondly.  But for the here and now, if I had to choose between the two I would go for Green.  I think he's got more than just tenacity to his game, but that alone is more significant than what Morris brings.

At no point am I comparing the two, but for all the adulation he received Alan Pouton offered very little in terms of actual output until he started taking penalties.  Technically he was miles below a lot of his team-mates but he gave us an edge that we didn't otherwise have.  It was that edge and tenacity that set him apart from the likes of Stuart Campbell, Danny Butterfield, Wayne Burnett...all players he paired in midfield with who were levels above him with the ball.  But he complimented them and vice-versa.  To me that how's you get the best out of someone like Green, you put them with a better footballer and he does their dirty work.
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 125
GollyGTFC
April 20, 2023, 4:16pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,065
Gold Stars: 359
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Most of our midfielders are contracted for next season!

Yeah. And football is traditionally an industry where contracts are honoured on both sides and players see out the entire length of their contract…
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 114 - 125
Marshy634
April 20, 2023, 4:42pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: -36
Gold Stars: 1

Yep, fair points.  

You can also counter that Morris' career appears to be on a downward trajectory whereas Green's is upwards.

No doubt that neither Morris or Green are likely to be good enough to take us back to levels we all remember fondly.  But for the here and now, if I had to choose between the two I would go for Green.  I think he's got more than just tenacity to his game, but that alone is more significant than what Morris brings.
At no point am I comparing the two, but for all the adulation he received Alan Pouton offered very little in terms of actual output until he started taking penalties.  Technically he was miles below a lot of his team-mates but he gave us an edge that we didn't otherwise have.  It was that edge and tenacity that set him apart from the likes of Stuart Campbell, Danny Butterfield, Wayne Burnett...all players he paired in midfield with who were levels above him with the ball.  But he complimented them and vice-versa.  To me that how's you get the best out of someone like Green, you put them with a better footballer and he does their dirty work.

Green is only affective in hoofball games. When its excrement pitches and he can be hussle and bussle. Which is what leauge 2 is about mostly so probably do suit it more but for me its crap to watch and he hasnt been involved in many outstanding team perfomaces this season and many wins. He looks clueless when he has the ball.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 125
Marshy634
April 20, 2023, 4:43pm
Coke Drinker
Quoted from Marshy634

Green is only affective in hoofball games. When its horrible pitches and he can be hussle and bussle. Which is what leauge 2 is about mostly so probably do suit it more but for me its crap to watch and he hasnt been involved in many outstanding team perfomaces this season and many wins. He looks clueless when he has the ball.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 125
Marshy634
April 20, 2023, 4:46pm
Coke Drinker

Yep, fair points.  

No doubt that neither Morris or Green are likely to be good enough to take us back to levels we all remember fondly.  But for the here and now, if I had to choose between the two I would go for Green.  I think he's got more than just tenacity to his game, but that alone is more significant than what Morris brings

I belive morris had a fair few injurys as to why he is now in leauge 2. He dove very well at shrewsbury wycombe and then portsmouth had a very long injury which set him back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 125
ginnywings
April 20, 2023, 7:47pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Bryn Morris’ pass completion is only 65.6% in League 2 this season. That ranks him 181st out of 346 in the division. i.e. he gives the ball away far too much.

But he’s not the only one…

Gavan Holohan pass completion is 65.8%. Harry Clifton is 64.3%. And Kieran Green’s is even lower at 56.3%.

Alex Hunt is 77.6%.

For context George Moncur is 1st in League 2 with 88.5% pass completion. There are 17 players in League 2 with 80% or higher.

This is the key area he need to improve.

I don't doubt it. Our ball retention is hopeless at times, but I'd wager that those of Morris were much higher at the start of the season. He doesn't seem to be the same player since his lay off, but when he is on it, he is pretty good.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 125
lukeo
April 21, 2023, 6:36am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
Very interesting stats! I've always liked Hunt and would like to see him get more game time but like other say he does struggle a bit against more physical midfielded sides. But then you got to take the rough with the smooth and play to his/our strengths.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 125
13 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Player Contracts

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.