10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
OddShapedBalls
February 28, 2023, 1:25pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,195
Gold Stars: 40
RE the seats/capacity argument, I don't see why we couldn't pay out for temporary corner stands either side of the ponny for 1-2 months and then we'd have real world data to argue over.  If attendances are significantly up then keep them or agree that a new stadium is required, if attendance isn't really affected then the owners can say I told you so and off-hire them.  Either way it would give some clarity to the situation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 98
Maringer
February 28, 2023, 1:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,682
Gold Stars: 189
I'd imagine that getting planning permission for a new Main Stand would be nigh on impossible. You'd expect that anything new would need to have higher roofing to improve views/capacity and anything which affected the views of houses behind on Harrington Street would surely fail to receive permission.

Looking in the (hopefully much) longer-term, we can't ignore the fact that sea levels are expected to rise significantly in coming decades. BP is the closest ground to the sea in the League and 2 feet above sea level so the potential for flooding is likely to become an even bigger issue unless there is some serious investment in coastal defences. The sea wall is pretty substantial for now, but how much longer will it remain effective when tides are lapping a couple of feet higher?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 98
MuddyWaters
February 28, 2023, 2:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,290
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from 137
I can't imagine anyone thinking that building a new and modern main stand isn't a very good idea.

It's the cost that's the problem.

Could you renovate its' inhabitants too (me included!)?
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 98
Morph2000
February 28, 2023, 2:14pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +48
Gold Stars: 2
My biggest concern with the accounts is the holding companies accounts should have been filed over a month ago.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 98
lew chaterleys lover
February 28, 2023, 2:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,792
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Maringer
I'd imagine that getting planning permission for a new Main Stand would be nigh on impossible. You'd expect that anything new would need to have higher roofing to improve views/capacity and anything which affected the views of houses behind on Harrington Street would surely fail to receive permission.

Looking in the (hopefully much) longer-term, we can't ignore the fact that sea levels are expected to rise significantly in coming decades. BP is the closest ground to the sea in the League and 2 feet above sea level so the potential for flooding is likely to become an even bigger issue unless there is some serious investment in coastal defences. The sea wall is pretty substantial for now, but how much longer will it remain effective when tides are lapping a couple of feet higher?

I would not worry about that. When I was a young lad at school 60 years ago we were told Grimsby would be underwater soon. We were told that in the 50's, 60's 70's 80's etc and it has not materialized. Even if it ever did they would have to protect the coastline which would obviously include the football club.

Good point about planning permission but surely there are ways and means to alleviate any worries from residents?
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 98
RonMariner
February 28, 2023, 2:26pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,865
Gold Stars: 231
I would imagine that continuing to get safety certification for the main stand could be problematic.  Several years ago there were concerns over it. Sooner or later it will be condemned I should think. At that point we are forced to either rebuild or move.

So one would hope there are at least some preliminary contingency plans for such an eventuality.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 98
forza ivano
February 28, 2023, 2:30pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,286
Gold Stars: 266
Have there really been no posts on this from our chums Pen & Herve?
There they were , getting their knickers in a twist about the negligent late filing of accounts, and yet over 24 hours later, we are still to hear from them about how 1878 are no better than JSF......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 98
mimma
February 28, 2023, 2:31pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,580
Gold Stars: 78
You can't built a garden shed these days without NIBYs crawling out of woodwork. Doubt planning permission would be granted, and any attempt to get planning permission would take years and be very costly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 98
Maringer
February 28, 2023, 2:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,682
Gold Stars: 189

I would not worry about that. When I was a young lad at school 60 years ago we were told Grimsby would be underwater soon. We were told that in the 50's, 60's 70's 80's etc and it has not materialized. Even if it ever did they would have to protect the coastline which would obviously include the football club.

The ice sheets are now melting a great deal faster than they were 60 years ago. Greenland is losing hundreds of billion tons of ice a year and it would only take a couple of the major ice shelves around Antarctica to collapse (and there are signs that this is occurring) for sea levels to rise several metres. I'm know we need to be considering the protection of housing first of all, but any overtopping of the defences would be likely to severely damage the ground and pitch. A move a little bit inland and a ground several feet/metres higher would be a longer-term proposition.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 98
jamesgtfc
February 28, 2023, 2:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,053
Gold Stars: 190
I did a research project into an American and British stadium not so long ago. Large American stadia are typically built to last 30 years - the site of the $2bn Allegiant stadium was sold during construction and leased back for an initial 29 years. Most other countries think longer-term, 50-70 years being the expectation but all current Premier League grounds have either been built during the last 30 years, had significant work or are currently planning to extend, relocate or rebuild. Admittedly, the Taylor Report forced changes to be made but the point still stands that clubs are developing their stadia.

I'm conflicted regarding a Main Stand rebuild because the roof makes for excellent acoustics when it's rocking. But, to maximise views, any replacement roof would probably point up rather than down. Whilst going full length but maintaining the height, what could you feasibly get underneath the seats? Would there be any 7 day income opportunities that could be incorporated into it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 98
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Accounts Released

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.