rancido
February 26, 2023, 9:26pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,658
Gold Stars: 101
Quoted from Poojah

I was, of course, referring to our recent victory in south east Northampton. That said, I did have a very, very vivid dream of us playing at Spurs, away in the quarter final, the other night.

I was sat in a prime spot on the front row of the middle tier, though it had been constructed with blancmange, and therefore lacked the structural integrity one might expect from a £1 billion arena. We had Piers Morgan up front with Dr Karl Kennedy playing the role of mezzala just behind (I know that detail, because that was the specific directive given to him by Hursty in the Baton Rouge before the game), whilst I seemed to alternate between my seat in the gloopy middle tier and left back.

I didn’t manage to take note of the final score as Peter Gabriel needed me to help him fix his car at half-time which, believe me, took a good while since it’s hard to get hold of a replacement timing belt for a 1986 Saab 900 in the middle of Rotherham during lambing season.

Fortunately, a guy I worked with for a couple of months in 2008 rocked up with the necessary part and I made it back to the ground only to find it had turned into my house and my wife was in the bath doing crochet with Peaches Geldof and Dorien from 90s sitcom Birds of a Feather.

I can’t guarantee that’s exactly how things are going to pan out, but if you’ve got time to remortgage your house and lump it on a Town win on Wednesday night, frankly I think you’d be mental not to.

In future you should be very careful which mushrooms you collect when you go foraging in Bradley Woods. It's an easy thing to pick the wrong ones as I know from experience.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 76
Poojah
February 26, 2023, 9:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,880
Gold Stars: 1,523
Quoted from rancido

In future you should be very careful which mushrooms you collect when you go foraging in Bradley Woods. It's an easy thing to pick the wrong ones as I know from experience.

It was actually just some slightly out of date, artisanal cheese, but I don’t want to go down that particular rabbit hole as it’s one that’s almost killed this forum before and don’t want to risk it happening again.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 76
rancido
February 26, 2023, 9:46pm

Special Brew Drinker
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,658
Gold Stars: 101
Quoted from Poojah

It was actually just some slightly out of date, artisanal cheese, but I don’t want to go down that particular rabbit hole as it’s one that’s almost killed this forum before and don’t want to risk it happening again.

Would that be the White Rabbit hole that Jefferson Airplane sang about?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 76
diehardmariner
February 27, 2023, 11:24am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,716
Gold Stars: 543
Really enjoyable game and at last we saw the Alex Hunt we've cried out for since signing him in August.

Points made about Morris, I don't think he did anything wrong when he came on but it did change things.  Absolutely not his fault as he's a completely different type of player to Clifton, but we lost that drive and energy from midfield that Harry brings.  Morris is naturally more defensive and I thought we did sit a little deeper.

Hindsight is wonderful and sitting comfortably with it, you could argue it might have made more sense to bring Taylor on for Clifton and drop either McAtee or Lloyd into that area Clifton was occupying between midfield and attack.  But had we not fluffed up for their equaliser or missed a penalty, no-one would have noticed/cared.

Loving the overlapping centre-backs, gives us a real outlet that teams just can't handle.  How do you possibly defend against it?  Especially when it's coming down both sides.  It's not new and a lot of teams try it now, but actually having the players to do it is another thing.
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 76
Maringer
February 27, 2023, 11:34am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,680
Gold Stars: 189
It is quite bizarre how we've suddenly almost stumbled into having the players to play with three at the back with wing-backs for the first time - and inadvertently as well, because Hurst has never really seemed interested in this formation.

Very different to more recent times such as when Jolley decided to play this formation from the start of the season, without actually signing anybody to play the wing-back roles!

Obviously, we're not exactly tearing any trees up in the league, but it might give us a good base to start next season. Just need more precision in attacking areas as we continue to fluff too many openings with poor passes or crosses when well-placed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 76
diehardmariner
February 27, 2023, 12:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,716
Gold Stars: 543
Racking my brain as to who Jolley used in the wingback roles.  Luke Hendrie was down the right and fairly ok at it, worked well with Reece Hall-Johnson offering the overlap too.  Not a clue on the left.  
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 76
Maringer
February 27, 2023, 12:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,680
Gold Stars: 189
I seem to think we played the first game of the season (a drubbing by FGR) with Clifton at right wing-back, with the glacially slow Dixon at left wing-back. Clifton was an inexperienced young lad back then as well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 76
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.