Reply: 60 - 97
HerveJosse
February 15, 2023, 11:07am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,204
Gold Stars: 144
Referees , Location, Pitch, 20 years of decay, things we weren’t expecting , getting to be a long list
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 97
chaos33
February 15, 2023, 12:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,001
Gold Stars: 362
Quoted from Poojah
Arguably, our 5 best performances this season have come against sides in a higher division. Remarkably, our aggregate score against those teams in the FA Cup so far is 13-4. That cannot be a coincidence, can it?

For me, we are technically and organisationally decent. Not outstandingly so, but comfortably good enough for League Two. However, it’s becoming increasingly apparent that we cannot match too many sides in League Two, physically. The winning goals against us in the last two games came from players 6ft 3” and 6ft 6” respectively.

We meanwhile have only two fit outfield players in the squad who are taller than 6ft. That is surely an anomaly for this division. Looking back, Buckley sides were notoriously small, but outrageously capable in terms of passing ability and general technical skill. We’re decent enough in that regard, but not quite enough to truly get away with it.

I don’t think it’s in Hurst playbook to assemble a team full of ‘units’. But, assuming we have enough in the tank to stay up this season, I think it’s something he absolutely has to look at in the summer.

This is a physical division, full of athletic players. It seems the consensus is that our best two players this season have been Luke Waterfall and Harry Clifton. Waterfall our biggest and most physically aggressive player, and Clifton our fittest and most mobile. Again, I don’t think there’s a coincidence in that.

I like our current squad, but I think therein lies the problem. They’re a likeable bunch. Too nice; not nasty or cute enough to compete consistently at this level.

Perhaps this is an oversimplification, but it seems to be the obvious difference between Town and the sides beating us of late.

Think that’s a great post mate that makes really salient points.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 97
Rodley Mariner
February 15, 2023, 12:05pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 180
What I'd add to Poojah's post is that the Buckley team who got out of the 4th division might not have been massive they could definitely mix it physically. Lever, Tillson, Cunnington, Cockerill, Alexander and Rees was a spine that could mix it and win physical battles.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 97
chaos33
February 15, 2023, 12:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,001
Gold Stars: 362
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
What I'd add to Poojah's post is that the Buckley team who got out of the 4th division might not have been massive they could definitely mix it physically. Lever, Tillson, Cunnington, Cockerill, Alexander and Rees was a spine that could mix it and win physical battles.

You’re right, as usual. There’s definitely something in this.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 97
TownSNAFU5
February 15, 2023, 1:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
Without checking, 3 home league wins and 3 home wins in the FAC.   More goals in the cup games against higher league teams.

These are curious stats to say the least.

We are a glass half full team, or a glass half empty team.

Or maybe both at the same time.

We have an issue with location, which we cannot change.  Therefore, we have to try harder and be smarter at every other factor.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 97
diehardmariner
February 15, 2023, 2:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,716
Gold Stars: 543
Yeah I was thinking that about the Buckley first era team. It definitely wasn't a team that could be pushed around.  Even the players who were smaller in stature like Dave Gilbert and Kev Jobling weren't afraid to get stuck in.  As that team established itself in the second tier he added the likes of Livvo, Graeme Rodger, Paul Groves who all had physical elements to their game.

Mk II era the same.  Mark Lever, Livvo, Groves, Alan Pouton, Jack Lester, even Lee Nogan who did the Tony Rees role of holding it all up, backing into players and taking a battering.  All lads who could put themselves about.

Mk III was obviously less successful and I think in some ways marked a change in his approach a little, he perhaps became too pure.  Whilst at the respective end of their careers, the likes of Gary Jones and Justin Whittle were sidelined a bit for less physical options.  Peter Till was someone who I'd argue summed up his approach, especially in the final months.  Nice, tidy, technical but lacked an oomph.
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 97
headingly_mariner
February 15, 2023, 3:44pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from chaos33

You’re right, as usual. There’s definitely something in this.

I think it's also fair to say we've just played the 2 most physical sides in our division.  The Gills were proper lump it merchants and the ref let them get away with murder, he also penalised our strikers for any physicality.

We hugely miss Taylor and I think Green would have really played a part had he been fit.

I watched the game and it could've gone either way, unlike others I don't doubt that the players worked hard and wanted to win. I'm not panicking I think we will be comfortably safe, be great to see us go on a good run.  

There aren't massive changes to make to this squad in the summer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 97
ska face
February 15, 2023, 3:59pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,811
Gold Stars: 852
Quoted from headingly_mariner

There aren't massive changes to make to this squad in the summer.

There are if we aspire to more than another relegation battle.
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 97
Poojah
February 15, 2023, 4:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,878
Gold Stars: 1,523
Quoted from ska face

There are if we aspire to more than another relegation battle.

And we should. It had somewhat passed me by that Carlisle had crept up into the automatic promotion spots. A thousand less through the gates than us and even more remote. We mustn’t believe it isn’t doable.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 97
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.