10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
louth_in_the_south
February 15, 2023, 12:16am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,712
Gold Stars: 96
He did better than morris who didn’t do anything. Totally non existent.

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 97
Maringer
February 15, 2023, 12:34am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,680
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from ginnywings

I have to say that I have been disappointed with Glennon since he came back, especially the defensive side of his game. He seems to be forever making last ditch tackles. Could be poor positioning, or lack of pace, or both.

This is what has surprised me about Glennon, as I thought he looked really good during his first spell at the club. Since his return, I've thought that he looks both slow and often lacking in fitness which is a surprise as I don't remember him as being the same during his initial loan. I agree entirely about the lunging, last-ditch tackles. Has he had some serious injury problems which might have affected his athleticism, even at such a young age?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 97
HertsGTFC
February 15, 2023, 6:33am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
On reflection things that struck me are we play with 2 wing backs Glennon has the skill but not the athleticism, strength and stamina, Amos is ahead of him and also has some belief to back himself and take players on, we needed that in the 2nd half especially, we need to cut Glennon some slack though as in terms of his senior career he’s developing still.

Efete is a great athlete and a competitor who despite his short comings will back himself and against poorer defenders and can get in behind but his delivery is not great.

Add to that a mid field three of Gav who at times looks like a world beater but is scruffy with the ball and his passing let’s him down, H who’s been great but again crisp passing is not his strength. Morris can pass but was/is too ponderous and went into crab mode quickly last night, probably in his defence as our movement is generally poor.

Lloyd again has a good attitude and looks to work hard but apart from a decent debut in the last 2 games I can’t see that he’s the answer but let’s be optimistic as he’ll need to find form. McAtee has quality he’s still not where we know he can be and to get there he needs some quality or at least craft around him.

We’re also missing Green as we have no other yard dog and Khan as he has quality in relation to his team mates. Also where’s Scanz? We need some experience when it’s not going well and currently it isn’t.

Personally I really like 3-5-2 when it works well but it’s not doing us any favours with the personnel we have and the levels of form. “Us shape” needs to change I suspect.

Biggest worry for me in the last two games is we’ve been “out Grimsby’d” in terms of physicality, application, pragmatism, fitness and competitiveness. The desire still exists but if we don’t get back the qualities that got us back into this league we may be in danger of getting pulled into a battle that sees us drop out of it.

Worried? Yes I am. Panicking? Not just yet, but let’s just hope there’s 3 or 4 sides who stay poorer than we currently are.

UTM!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 97
louth_in_the_south
February 15, 2023, 7:10am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,712
Gold Stars: 96
McAtee was doing ok until he went flying through the gap in the advertising boards and landed heavily on the concrete so probably had the wind took out of him tbf

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 97
Jarmo.Is.God
February 15, 2023, 8:12am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Scary times, however, i'm hopeful there a few worse than us.
Over the last 5 games, we've got 6 points.
Rochdale - 1
Hartlepool - 4
Crawley - 5
Harrogate - 5
so over the last 5 games, despite falling in league position, we've actually gained points on those below us.

Having said that, we are crap, and as I've said numerous times last month, we have been sleep walking into this for months, but the Cup run has covered it up.

Less than 20 games left, and we still have to play:
Harrogate - H
Crewe - H
Rochdale - H
Crawley - A
Hartlepool - H

It's all in our own hands, but we are also 2nd bottom in the 'home fixtures' table....

It;s going to be painful, but i think we have enough in the team to see us through
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 97
Maringer
February 15, 2023, 8:54am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,680
Gold Stars: 189
I've just listened to Hurst's post-match comments and he had a good moan about the referee. I didn't follow the game last night but the match stats show we gave away an enormous number of free-kicks. Sounds as though it was as much a case of the referee awarding them as us giving them away, however. Let's hope we get one or two on our side at some point. Or just some competent refereeing would be helpful.

Ultimately, the slump is due to our limited options up front - the ball is coming back at us too often and too easily and we're then not defending well enough to block the opposition out. I suspect we'd be much closer to the play-offs if Taylor hadn't become injured which makes it all the more frustrating that we never signed a backup for him.

We ought to have enough in the squad to avoid being dragged into the mire, but I'll be much happier when we've got a few more wins under our belts.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 97
golfer
February 15, 2023, 8:58am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Why bring a substitute on after 89 mins.? Morris was shite all game and should have been off earlier.   No  plan B- I couldn't work out what plan A was.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 97
chaos33
February 15, 2023, 9:04am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,001
Gold Stars: 362
Quoted from Norseman
Never expected to beat Gillingham they have invested in the team .As have Colchester ,as Have Harrogate and many others .We chose not to spend on players and it's starting to show .With many games coming close together I think our lack of quality and depth will become even more apparent .But nothing we can do about it now

Who did Harrogate invest in? What were the relative amounts spent by clubs on fees and wages? Do you actually know?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 97
lew chaterleys lover
February 15, 2023, 9:05am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,774
Gold Stars: 237
None of us know what will happen next but if the fans forum had been a couple of weeks earlier or tomorrow night,  it would have been a completely different scenario such is the vagaries of football.

It will be a real downer though if we are dragged into the scrap at the bottom even if we survive, as it will just reinforce our status as a bottom end league 2/ National league club making attracting players that bit harder.

Private Message
Reply: 48 - 97
Northbank Mariner
February 15, 2023, 9:25am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,533
Gold Stars: 172
None of us know what will happen next but if the fans forum had been a couple of weeks earlier or tomorrow night,  it would have been a completely different scenario such is the vagaries of football.

It will be a real downer though if we are dragged into the scrap at the bottom even if we survive, as it will just reinforce our status as a bottom end league 2/ National league club making attracting players that bit harder.

What do you mean "if"?..we've already been dragged into it, don't care what anybody says in opposition to this but our form and performances say we are in that scrap now, we are scrapping to pull away from the bottom 4 now, and if I'm honest with myself, we keep getting chin ended and although, up to now we've got up before the count of 10, if this carries on im afraid its light out and the NL could well be beckoning again!...
I said a while ago that if we are in danger of being dragged onto a relegation fight with 10 games to go then Hurst and Co have to be replaced, seriously considering whether to rethink that and say give him 4 games to turn it around, if he can't say then say goodbye, with a huge thank you for 2016 and the memories of 2021/2022 season, as Lew says, if we finish bottom 4 then we sint getting the quality of player in the summer that we need to push the club forward, we'd just look like perennial league 2 strugglers again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 97
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.