Chrisblor
February 12, 2023, 12:42pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +53 / -18
Approval: +8,969
Gold Stars: 242
What on earth are the club spending all their income on if they need 8k average attendances to 'break even' - doesn't seem remotely plausible considering we've never come remotely close to averaging that sort of home attendance in the last few decades.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 68
MuddyWaters
February 12, 2023, 12:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
I can’t believe we need 8k gates to break even ? We’ve never hit those numbers in years which obviously Jason and Andrew will be well aware of

If we're employing extra staff, they have to be paid for somehow.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 68
MuddyWaters
February 12, 2023, 12:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Just looked at the table - 14 points from 13 home games, 19 points from 13 away games, scored more goals away from home too. It's not exactly likely to draw the crowds, is it? It's only the Cup run that's keeping fans interested.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 68
HertsGTFC
February 12, 2023, 1:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Chrisblor
What on earth are the club spending all their income on if they need 8k average attendances to 'break even' - doesn't seem remotely plausible considering we've never come remotely close to averaging that sort of home attendance in the last few decades.

30 odd pros signed and on loan in league 2?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 68
ex-merseymariner
February 12, 2023, 1:22pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,403
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from arryarryarry

I must have dreamt it, I thought the chairman did mention the 8,000 figure🤔

Did he? Feel free to listen back and tell us all when?

Not saying u are wrong, just I don't remember it.

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 68
dapperz fun pub
February 12, 2023, 1:23pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,062
Gold Stars: 84
Quoted from MuddyWaters

If we're employing extra staff, they have to be paid for somehow.

A little dig and it’s hard to disagree the home form is poor but having said that the general experience of being a town fan is a 1000s times better now than it was when that twit fenty was in control.  It’s not perfect far from it but at least we seem on a upward curve rather than the last twenty’s yrs of dogs excrement
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 68
Ruston AT
February 12, 2023, 1:28pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +426
Gold Stars: 10

My view on this, for what it's worth, as long as we give away fans the bulk of the Osmond we'll never reach our full potential.
Give the away fans the end of the main stand, with a bit of segregation engineering and open the Osmond for non ST mariners.
  When the big boys come swap it back and maximise attendances.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 68
jamesgtfc
February 12, 2023, 1:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,050
Gold Stars: 190
The acid test is how many STHs renew in the summer. A lot can change but based on how this season is panning out in the league, I think there will be a drop off. I don't think it will be as low as some think it will be. Then again, 8 weeks without a competitive game does things to people so you never know.

I would expect any additional capacity to be financed rather than paid up front. If 23 home sellouts is the break even point, that's not financially sustainable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 68
toontown
February 12, 2023, 1:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I reckon, given our home league form, an average of 6500 is pretty impressive.

That 6500 home attendance doesn't take into account seats that are sold but ST holder doesn't attend. The club has already had the money for those, probably in the region of 7000 average tickets sold per game this season approximately
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 68
MuddyWaters
February 12, 2023, 1:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

A little dig and it’s hard to disagree the home form is poor but having said that the general experience of being a town fan is a 1000s times better now than it was when that twit fenty was in control.  It’s not perfect far from it but at least we seem on a upward curve rather than the last twenty’s yrs of dogs excrement

It’s not a dig at all. The board have decided, in my view correctly, that the club’s infrastructure needed investment because we were a basket case. The extra staff increase the overhead cost. Whether or not that staff increase bears fruit is what we’ll find out in the longer term.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 68
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Break even point crowds

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.