HertsGTFC
February 12, 2023, 9:31am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from HatTrickHero

It was much more than a slight benefit, it's their game plan. We have no such plan, we try to adjust to it as the game goes on, but McAtee at times aside we have no clever cynical edge. Most of our freekicks awarded were in our own half. The man mountain Akinde went down so easily at least 3 times, all in dangerous areas, one leading to their goal while on the odd occasion we gained such a kick we had Alex Hunt balloon the kick into the stands. The difference is astounding.

If I was to describe this game to someone  i'd say it was awful. We were awful, they were awful but they were better at being awful than us.

As much as I despise Colchester’s anti football don’t be fooled into thinking you can just adopt that style game by game as you can’t. Like “total football” you have to have the players to play that way, quite simply they do and it’s going to save them from what looked like a possible relegation battle before Christmas, they’ve clearly recruited certain players to play in a certain way.

As for the “cynical edge” nonsense you referenced we have a keeper with a cramp problem, especially when we’re leading in the final minutes of close games. When fit Taylor knows how to “win” a free kick as well as most.

Golfer called it, the selection didn’t help yesterday, in hindsight Gav should have started ahead of either Morris or Hunt, Orsi deserved a shout too. If fit it was a perfect game for Green. That said the same 11 started last Saturday and we won 3 - 0 away.

Just because we lose a game to a side like Colchester I’m not sure there is an argument for being like them. If we lose to a better footballing side people will say the same. Just accept what we are and that’s a work in progress and thus consistently inconsistent.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 50
HatTrickHero
February 12, 2023, 9:37am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +781
Gold Stars: 25
"As for the “cynical edge” nonsense you referenced we have a keeper with a cramp problem"

Here's the probem with this forum, no wonder we end up way off topic and descending into insults.
Do me one big favour, never ever respond to my nonsense again and I'll be more than happy to return the favour.

Discussion board my ar$e.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 50
HertsGTFC
February 12, 2023, 9:51am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from HatTrickHero
"As for the “cynical edge” nonsense you referenced we have a keeper with a cramp problem"

Here's the probem with this forum, no wonder we end up way off topic and descending into insults.
Do me one big favour, never ever respond to my nonsense again and I'll be more than happy to return the favour.

Discussion board my ar$e.

Favour granted, it wasn’t aimed at you to be fair, sorry you took it that way, quite honestly I just think having a cynical edge is nonsense I’d rather we set up to play the game.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 50
GrimPol
February 12, 2023, 9:52am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -787
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from PaceyMariner
Very poor today. Colchester not particularly great but we never did enough to challenge them.

For some reason we seem to think our best tactic was to hoof endless aimless balls to a 5 foot something Lloyd to compete with their giant centre halves. Felt sorry for the lad.

They seem to pick up every loose ball and had more physicality than us.

Can’t help thinking that we got drawn into their style of play, but did it badly.

Still believe in Hurst and the process. Just really hard to take.

Probably a controversial take but I’m starting to resent the cup run, because we seem to have no problem beating teams above us, but struggle in our own league, which is more important in my opinion.

The last time I saw a change of play by Town after half time is when Buckley was in charge. If the first half was torrid, there were changes in pace, or position, emphasise even. Yesterday, if they hadn't changed ends, you wouldn't know it was the second half. PH sees the same match, and yet nothing perceptibly alters. All I can think is they sit at halftime moaning about the ref. And NO I am not having a go at PH , but you cannot gild something when its not there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 50
PaceyMariner
February 12, 2023, 10:29am
Lower Findus
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +266
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from Vance Warner

We won’t go up or down this season so why would you resent a cup run that will allow us to improve next season? I imagine most of us would have taken 5th round of the cup and stability in the league at the start of the season

I get your point and the financial benefits will help the club. It’s more frustration than anything. I’m not one of those who expected play offs this season, and I knew all along this would be a season of consolidation.

As I said, I believe in Hurst and the process. The problem is, if we don’t sort our home form out we could get dragged into a battle at the wrong end of the table. Colchester were one of those sides that have been struggling, but have chucked money at it and are now above us. There are a few teams below us who have done the same and have seen an upturn in form. We probably won’t go down, however if we aren’t careful, we could be putting ourselves in a position where we are sweating a bit.

Pacey <*))))><
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 50
Lost in Lincoln
February 12, 2023, 10:31am
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Approval: +388
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from buckstown
What a shocker that was. No movement, dreadful passing and lost out on virtually every second ball
To be fair thought Colchester were much better than us today, ran the channels well and just quicker to the ball
Akinde is a master of shithousery and has clearly been running training workshops for his team mates
Special mention to the referee who made some very strange decisions this afternoon

For such a big...no...HUGE bloke, he doesn't half squeal when he gets challenged  

First game: 7/5/88 Aldershot (h) 1-1 (R)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 45 - 50
Lost in Lincoln
February 12, 2023, 10:38am
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Approval: +388
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Truly awful match and unlike last week nobody came out of the game with any credit other than probably Maher & Waterfall. Lloyd put himself around but had a pretty hopeless task as he found himself in the land of the giants and is cause was not helped when two blatant fouls on him, one in each half went unpunished.

Emmanuel basically played as a right winger but today didn’t demonstrate any abilities that made him suitable in that role albeit he hugged the touch line and tried to give us width. PH tried to change things at half time but in all honesty we probably looked worse in the second half with McAtee in particular looking completely lost and being unsure which role he should have been undertaking.

I think that today’s game once again demonstrated that we don’t seem to have a way of playing (style) at home and appear totally incapable of playing attacking cohesive football and dominating the opposition. Contrast this to the two cup games v Plymouth and Luton and maybe that’s just because they allowed us more freedom to play.

But like many others I am very disappointed by our home performances and if you discount the cup matches I would be struggling to count beyond one hand the number of enjoyable league matches this season. Hopefully today is as bad as it will get and things will improve from now on but unfortunately I can’t help looking over my shoulder at the results of Rochdale and Hartlepool praying they got beat!!

Bradford, Northampton and Stockport are the only ones that spring to mind..I've only missed Stevenage and Tranmere, so can't comment on those.

First game: 7/5/88 Aldershot (h) 1-1 (R)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 46 - 50
heppy88
February 12, 2023, 8:14pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
As others have said Town really struggle against teams that adopt the tactics seen yesterday and a few teams over the seasons have exploited that weakness in Towns play. Its a good job all managers don't come to BP setting up that way, or Town would certainly be looking at relegation. The gaffer just doesn't seem to have a clue how to get a result when playing these teams.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 50
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 12, 2023, 8:26pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,773
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Lost in Lincoln

Bradford, Northampton and Stockport are the only ones that spring to mind..I've only missed Stevenage and Tranmere, so can't comment on those.

Yep pretty much as I see it and I also missed the Tranmere match, Stevenage was an ok dour battle of a game that you get so happily accept these as part and parcel of a season especially as they were in the top two.

Might be an idiot but ever since PH took over the first time I am always more optimistic when we are playing away from home and always fancy us to win these matches but always have a feeling of negativity as I walk down towards BP and far too often walk away as grumpy as hell.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 50
out of town
February 12, 2023, 9:05pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: +717
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Vance Warner

We won’t go up or down this season so why would you resent a cup run that will allow us to improve next season? I imagine most of us would have taken 5th round of the cup and stability in the league at the start of the season

I wish I was as confident as you, I think our league form is seriously concerning at the moment.

Colchester are a team of units and play a style of football id never choose to pay to watch, but it’s effective for them at the minute. We resorted to their kind of play and inexplicably hoofed long balls up to Lloyd who stood no chance against 2 giants who the ref was more than happy to let wrestle the lad to the ground.

Overall it was probably in the top 5 worst games I’ve ever had the misfortune to watch. I’m sure Hurst will be as frustrated as we are and hopefully we can take the Luton form into what’s now a big game on Tuesday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 50
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.