HertsGTFC
February 11, 2023, 10:07pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from HatTrickHero
Within the opening 5 minutes Lloyd had a defender clamber on him, dragged him down as Lloyd swivelled and even as he then burst away he was then hacked down, and hurt, as the ref waved play on and I knew we were in for an awful game and very likely the worst ref yet.

Both turned out to be true, 2 or 3 times the ref was flummoxed, letting play go while his brain engaged his mental rule book, then whistling much too late to announce his decision.
But yes, we were dire, Hurst's Achilles heel has always been the inability to adapt to the most basic, physical style of play, we drop to the same level of awfulness but without the nous, the cleverness to play the ref, to slog through while matching the opposition with the ugly side of the game.
Home fans have had it rough overall.

“Hurst’s Achilles heel”? What did you expect? Tell the players to start pushing, shoving, elbowing & kicking. Colchester weren’t particularly dirty they were just physically bigger than us in a number of areas.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 50
Dave Gilberts Left Peg
February 11, 2023, 11:12pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +2 / -5
Approval: -158
Gold Stars: 78
I’m afraid with sustainable football, you have to take the rough with the smooth, UTM

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 50
PaceyMariner
February 11, 2023, 11:47pm
Lower Findus
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +266
Gold Stars: 4
Very poor today. Colchester not particularly great but we never did enough to challenge them.

For some reason we seem to think our best tactic was to hoof endless aimless balls to a 5 foot something Lloyd to compete with their giant centre halves. Felt sorry for the lad.

They seem to pick up every loose ball and had more physicality than us.

Can’t help thinking that we got drawn into their style of play, but did it badly.

Still believe in Hurst and the process. Just really hard to take.

Probably a controversial take but I’m starting to resent the cup run, because we seem to have no problem beating teams above us, but struggle in our own league, which is more important in my opinion.

Pacey <*))))><
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 50
MuddyWaters
February 12, 2023, 7:23am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from PaceyMariner
Very poor today. Colchester not particularly great but we never did enough to challenge them.

For some reason we seem to think our best tactic was to hoof endless aimless balls to a 5 foot something Lloyd to compete with their giant centre halves. Felt sorry for the lad.

Can’t help thinking that we got drawn into their style of play, but did it badly.

Probably a controversial take but I’m starting to resent the cup run, because we seem to have no problem beating teams above us, but struggle in our own league, which is more important in my opinion.

Couldn’t agree more. For all the financial benefits of the cup run, our league form is a major problem.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 50
cannylad65
February 12, 2023, 7:44am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Approval: +77
Gold Stars: 7
I wonder if the colour clash had anything to do with Town's poor passing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 50
DB
February 12, 2023, 7:48am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.38
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,056
Gold Stars: 391
One of the main differences today was the referee and 2nd official, main stand side, both of whom gave little if anything to Town. Blatantly dragging down Lloyd, throw-ins off Colchester players going to Colchester and Colchester getting blatant goal kicks instead of corners to us. I said to the guy next to me that if one of their men goes down in the box they'd get a pen, fortunately, it didn't happen.

I'm not saying we played well because we didn't and the howler from, the normally safe, Crocrome gifted them a goal. All in all a bad day but we do have a Jekyll and Hyde team. So we on to Tuesday night at Gillingham and a win ( you know me positive and enthusiastic ).

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 50
pen penfras
February 12, 2023, 8:19am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from DB
One of the main differences today was the referee and 2nd official, main stand side, both of whom gave little if anything to Town. Blatantly dragging down Lloyd, throw-ins off Colchester players going to Colchester and Colchester getting blatant goal kicks instead of corners to us. I said to the guy next to me that if one of their men goes down in the box they'd get a pen, fortunately, it didn't happen.

I'm not saying we played well because we didn't and the howler from, the normally safe, Crocrome gifted them a goal. All in all a bad day but we do have a Jekyll and Hyde team. So we on to Tuesday night at Gillingham and a win ( you know me positive and enthusiastic ).

The ref was one of the worst I've seen, but he wasn't the difference. He have baffling decisions both ways. They benefitted slightly more because they were so physical, but we got away with stuff too
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 50
HatTrickHero
February 12, 2023, 8:49am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +781
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from pen penfras

The ref was one of the worst I've seen, but he wasn't the difference. He have baffling decisions both ways. They benefitted slightly more because they were so physical, but we got away with stuff too

It was much more than a slight benefit, it's their game plan. We have no such plan, we try to adjust to it as the game goes on, but McAtee at times aside we have no clever cynical edge. Most of our freekicks awarded were in our own half. The man mountain Akinde went down so easily at least 3 times, all in dangerous areas, one leading to their goal while on the odd occasion we gained such a kick we had Alex Hunt balloon the kick into the stands. The difference is astounding.

If I was to describe this game to someone  i'd say it was awful. We were awful, they were awful but they were better at being awful than us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 50
golfer
February 12, 2023, 9:08am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
We made too many changes from Tuesdays game, presumably to rest players and to bring in those cup tied. Pick your best team and stick with it - that wasn't our best team by a long way. We should be deciding the way we intend to play our home matches and let the opposition sort themselves out. Playing at home is supposed to be an advantage but not if you set up as if you are playing away. Our first half against Luton was brilliant - we should have been trying to play the same way. Leave the tinkering to the tailor.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 50
Vance Warner
February 12, 2023, 9:17am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,832
Gold Stars: 106
Quoted from PaceyMariner

We won’t go up or down this season so why would you resent a cup run that will allow us to improve next season? I imagine most of us would have taken 5th round of the cup and stability in the league at the start of the season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 50
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.