7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
WesternMariner
February 2, 2023, 5:26pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +948
Gold Stars: 38
I think if I was ever accused of a serious sexual offence I’d rather have the case tried fully in Court by a judge and jury than it be dropped like this. None of us know what the full picture is but there’s an understandable reaction that from what bits we do know he must’ve been guilty as charged. Surely the CPS don’t drop high profile serious cases like this lightly . Is it possible there’s something that hasn’t been leaked that casts doubt? Probably safer to stick to innocent until proven otherwise in Court - otherwise it’s social media mob rule.

All men are equal before fish.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 66
DB
February 2, 2023, 5:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.38
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,056
Gold Stars: 391
Decades ago the police did all the prosecutions and everybody went before the courts. Because of this the % of successful prosecutions was low, so the CPS was formed.

I'm not sure of the figure but they want to be around 90% sure of a guilty verdict, otherwise, they don't prosecute because of lack of evidence.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 66
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 2, 2023, 5:47pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,023
Gold Stars: 190
Non football

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 66
horsforthmariner
February 2, 2023, 5:51pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,638
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from WesternMariner
I think if I was ever accused of a serious sexual offence I’d rather have the case tried fully in Court by a judge and jury than it be dropped like this. None of us know what the full picture is but there’s an understandable reaction that from what bits we do know he must’ve been guilty as charged. Surely the CPS don’t drop high profile serious cases like this lightly . Is it possible there’s something that hasn’t been leaked that casts doubt? Probably safer to stick to innocent until proven otherwise in Court - otherwise it’s social media mob rule.

Christ I wouldn't - Have you ever served on a jury? Absolutely terrifying.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 66
ska face
February 2, 2023, 6:08pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,811
Gold Stars: 852
Quoted from WesternMariner
Surely the CPS don’t drop high profile serious cases like this lightly .

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/902Xs179/A80-E01-B7-23-A1-42-D8-90-A4-350615625501.webp[/img]

Maybe there’s a Man Utd fan in the Royal Family and they’ve had a word
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 66
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
February 2, 2023, 6:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 556
Quoted from ska face

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/902Xs179/A80-E01-B7-23-A1-42-D8-90-A4-350615625501.webp[/img]

Maybe there’s a Man Utd fan in the Royal Family and they’ve had a word

Villa fans aren’t they?

Well, Randy Andy is. Palm Beach villas owned by convicted paedos mainly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 66
BobbyCummingsTackle
February 2, 2023, 6:15pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,319
Gold Stars: 309
Quoted from MarinerDevil
Should "innocent until proven guilty" apply to society as a whole?

Inevitably, there will be those who argue that Greenwood should be able to move on with his life as if nothing has happened; anything else would amount to a "cancellation". And to some extent, that point of view is justified. Greenwood does not have to prove his innocence before the law as he is no longer being accused of anything.

But given the publicly available photographs and audio recordings, I think society still has a right to treat him with heavy suspicion. Manchester United also have more than enough justification to terminate his contract if they feel he has brought the club into disrepute, or even that he poses a danger to their employees.

In terms of the actual reasons for the case being dropped, it unfortunately sounds like a classic case of coercive control, if the rumours of them getting back together are true. Even the girl's father was downplaying the recordings at the time. I hope she can see the light one day, but if the massive outpouring of public support couldn't give her the courage to leave him for good, I'm not sure what will.

This post mixes a dangerous cocktail of opinion and pseudo knowledge.

Innocent until proven guilty does apply to society as a whole, it is the guiding foundation of the British legal system. Nobody is exempt from it.

Cancellation or being able to move on with his life is opinion, legally there is no such concept. He is not guilty in the eyes of the law. If society chooses to see him as guilty that is a product of opinion and the media etc. Not the law.

Society does not have a right to treat him with suspicion, but it may choose to do so. He is innocent before the law, society has no rights whatsoever in relation to him.

Photos and recordings may point to a crime being committed but the legal system has decided he has no case to answer, therefore he is innocent.

It is perfectly ok to despise him for what he was accused of and hope that he never kicks a football again but that is an opinion. In law he has done nothing wrong.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 66
HertsGTFC
February 2, 2023, 6:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Non football

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 66
MarinerDevil
February 2, 2023, 6:43pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,811
Gold Stars: 80

This post mixes a dangerous cocktail of opinion and pseudo knowledge.

Innocent until proven guilty does apply to society as a whole, it is the guiding foundation of the British legal system. Nobody is exempt from it.

Cancellation or being able to move on with his life is opinion, legally there is no such concept. He is not guilty in the eyes of the law. If society chooses to see him as guilty that is a product of opinion and the media etc. Not the law.

Society does not have a right to treat him with suspicion, but it may choose to do so. He is innocent before the law, society has no rights whatsoever in relation to him.

Photos and recordings may point to a crime being committed but the legal system has decided he has no case to answer, therefore he is innocent.

It is perfectly ok to despise him for what he was accused of and hope that he never kicks a football again but that is an opinion. In law he has done nothing wrong.

I suspect that you've misinterpreted my post as I think we're largely in agreement. By 'right to treat him with suspicion', I don't mean a legal right. More of a moral right to form an opinion based on the evidence disclosed to the public.

I absolutely accept that everyone is innocent before being proven guilty. But that is before the law. People can still express an opinion that is contrary to a legal conclusion. But some people believe that someone who has been found not guilty is exempt from public scrutiny or criticism. My post was an attempt to discuss that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 66
Son of Cod
February 2, 2023, 6:44pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196

Villa fans aren’t they?

Well, Randy Andy is. Palm Beach villas owned by convicted paedos mainly.

Every family in the UK has got closet Tories, alcoholics and Utd fans.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 66
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mason Greenwood

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.