This thread currently has 10,806 views. Print
12 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 All Recommend Thread
Theimperialcoroner
February 1, 2023, 10:36am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,283
Gold Stars: 103
We’ve now locked the January Thread and set this one up to help people navigate more easily.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Online
Private Message
DaleH
February 1, 2023, 10:57am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +808
Gold Stars: 168
Personally I've nothing negative to offer. We've signed four players in a transfer window, in areas where we needed to sign players. A right full back and forwards.

So essentially I am happy that we have signed what we needed, and I look forward to seeing these new players hopefully fit in well, and provide us with a decent end to our first season back in the EFL.

I'm certainly not going to whinge like some are, who are practically apoplectic about the club in the transfer window, based on mere media speculation about who we might sign. They are even moaning about the non-arrival of Andrew Dallas, based on media speculation that he might be coming to us. A player that hasn't even gone anywhere in the transfer window Some of these people speak as if they are the manager or can second guess him. I'd have thought they should be long past trying to anticipate Paul Hurst's player business activity.

It is what it is. We needed players and we've signed players. Job done.

"BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 117
TwoLeftFeet
February 1, 2023, 11:05am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,102
Gold Stars: 19
Some of the comments on social media the last couple of days have been embarrassing to read people tagging players/owners etc..

Looking forward to seeing the new guys play hopefully there an improvement on the last set of loans we had...

If players don't want to come here in general  we need to evaluate why, perhaps there is an opportunity to move the training ground further west towards Brigg/Barnetby would that help long term?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 117
GrimRob
February 1, 2023, 11:25am

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,462
Gold Stars: 115
We got the positions we needed but I think most people were hoping for longer-term signings than just a few months. PH is thorough and I trust him to have done the homework on the players. The problem with signing players for such short periods is that if they are any good they won't be here for long. The perceived lack of ambition is bound to be noticed by the better players in the squad as well, and we might end up losing some in the summer.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 3 - 117
grimsby pete
February 1, 2023, 11:31am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
I think the signings we have made are promising Emmanuel is a class above.

George is 22 so not an untried youngster and the lad from Norwich who,s name ends in Peter's   come with excellent reports.

O' Neil is highly thought of at Preston.

So let's see how we get on until the end of the season with two games a week most weeks we will need all the squad firing on all cylinders .

I expect we will finish 12th or thereabouts which will be acceptable to me on our 1st season back in the league .

Let's get behind the new lads as well as the rest of the squad because all this negativity is good for no one.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 117
devs
February 1, 2023, 11:33am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,984
Gold Stars: 30
Dine and dusted
Move on..

If 2 of 3 loan signings start banging in a few goals everyone will be happy

If they pan out to be ineffective then it'll be moans..

Let's just see what happens
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 117
Corkyefes
February 1, 2023, 11:44am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: -137
Gold Stars: 10
Personally I am disappointed that we were unable to bring in a striker on a permanent basis.

Of course we don't mind loan players, as we have had a number of success stories over the years, however historically there's not been many strikers/attackers that we've taken on loan, who has gone on to score a few goals and done well, which we have managed to keep/sign past there loans (ie thinking about people like Martin Paterson or Steve Kabba).

Please don't say that, "well Andy Smith came back", because resigning a young 5th choice centre back will be a lot easier than a striker who's managed to bag say 8+ goals in 15-20 games, during the second half of the season.

This for me leaves us very short in the summer, with McAtee leaving, Taylor aging/becoming more injury prone and Orsi (albeit one good game) still being unproven.

I'm also not saying that a permanent signing is an instance success, but signing some one like Dallas (whether that was possible or not) would of been a big statement of intent from the club.

However we are, were we are... personally I don't believe we can hit the playoffs (love to be proven wrong) and I don't think that we will get relegated (although our current league form is worrying) and i will get behind the new signings. I just hope we don't get a run of bad luck and pick up further injuries or setbacks.

Personally, I think we will go through the motions rest of this season but I hope that the club really thinks about their targets, future plans and transfer policy in the summer.

Ps, the fans forum may be interesting.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 117
grimsby pete
February 1, 2023, 11:45am

Exile
Did they say Emmanuell signed to the end of the season initially which makes me wonder if we have a option to increase that or did I misread what they reported.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 117
Corkyefes
February 1, 2023, 11:53am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete
Did they say Emmanuell signed to the end of the season initially which makes me wonder if we have a option to increase that or did I misread what they reported.

Emmanuel is clearly a minimum top end League one player or potentially a Championship player.

It is a big coup for us don't get me wrong, however IF he plays well and proves he is over his ongoing health issues, I am 95% sure he will not be here next season.
Personally I am looking at this deal as basically a loan till the end of the season.

Private Message
Reply: 8 - 117
forza ivano
February 1, 2023, 12:08pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,285
Gold Stars: 266
I don't think it's unreasonable to be disappointed with what's happened.
I do hope the 4 incomers do well. I think O'Neill and Emmanuel look like good signings, and whilst I'm distinctly underwhelmed by Lloyd's record he's surely got to be an improvement on playing with no one up front hasn't he?
God knows what the Norwich lad will do - none of the other young attacking loanees have done very much have they?  Richardson, Pebble, Symonds, Windsor, Bell, Gomis etc etc
We've banked £500k from cup comps, we've got recrod sth sales and the biggest average crowds for god knows how many years. We've got owners who've said they are prepared to invest and off the pitch the club is in it's best place for c 25 years. We've recruited an ace Head of Recruitment ,who surely must've opened more doors n possibilities for targets, yet still we are scrabbling around in the final few hours trying to find any waif and stray who's willing to come here.
I don't believe for a second that Lloyd or the lad from Norwich were amongst our main list of targets.
Despite all of the good things that's happened , the transfer window has just ended up in a Fenty like  same old, same old last minute 'desperation' signings
I thought we'd left that behind - I will certainly be interested to listen into the fans forum!

ps to finish on a brighter note;  let's not forget we have Orsi & Scannell available - that could be like having the 2 quality signings we needed
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 117
Stew0_0
February 1, 2023, 12:27pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,196
Gold Stars: 35
LEAVING...
Kiernan (half decent), JMD (good not a Hurst type), Pepple and Simmonds (too raw and not ready) and Richardson (decent but too many injury issues.

COMING IN...
O'NEILL -  a highly rated player from the championship, unlocks defences, creative, young and still improving
EMMANUEL - Good age and pedigree, again from the championship and regular in a side that finished champions in league one. We needed cover across defence and we've brought in a player with experience
LLOYD - A striker with a surprising amount of first team appearances for a 22 year old, in league one and 2.
Looks like he has the quick feet and mind of a Richardson, but works his N**ts off up front and terrorises defences. Could be the foil needed for McAtee and hopefully can add to his own goals tally.
DICKSON-PETERS - Another from the championship, highly regarding by his club to get a long term contract and scoring plenty of goals for their under 23s. Doesnt mean he will make the instant step up to mens football but did have some experience playing as a winger for Gillingham in league one last year (9 games).

Add to this that we now have a fit Scannell and Wearne back in the fold and I would say that the signings are decent without being some of the known names thrown in the ring during this window.

UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 117
MarinerDevil
February 1, 2023, 12:30pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,811
Gold Stars: 80
Did a bit of reading on 1FF this morning and Gillingham fans reckon Dickson-Peters is "lightweight" and "nowhere near Football League standard". Don't judge a player on a previous club's fans' feedback, and all that...

I don't think it's as big of a disaster as some do but it's a disappointing window for sure. We've essentially replaced our underwhelming young attacking loanees but with some other ones. We obviously hope they'll be able to make a positive contribution but there's no way we can be relying on them. We still need 20 points; I think we'll probably achieve that but we are in relegation form in the league and we needed improvements in a number of areas to be more confident of getting across the line. That's not easy to achieve in January but it looks like we've fallen short, unless the loanees add real quality.

On the other hand, Emmanuel is a good signing that no-one expected, so credit to the club for that one. I just hope we can churn out some points quickly in February so we can all relax a bit and enjoy our excellent cup run.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 117
DB
February 1, 2023, 1:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,055
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from GrimRob
We got the positions we needed but I think most people were hoping for longer-term signings than just a few months. PH is thorough and I trust him to have done the homework on the players. The problem with signing players for such short periods is that if they are any good they won't be here for long. The perceived lack of ambition is bound to be noticed by the better players in the squad as well, and we might end up losing some in the summer.

The problem for most on here was that PH talked about permanent signings in his first pre-match interview in January. This shortly went to permanent/loan signings and then descended to loans. Whilst we did not know who his targets were it would appear that he was knocked back from those he had earmarked as permanent signings.

As with any manager, you have plan A then moving on to plan B etc. I don't know how far down the road he went but I do trust his judgement. We will have to wait and see how the new guys mould in with the squad, I think Saturday's team sheet will be interesting.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 117
February 1, 2023, 1:27pm
Guest User
It was a wake up call. We were bookies’ favourites to go down at the start of the season. Players remember this. We have a reputation which needs shaking off, on and off the field. We’ll get there.
Reply: 13 - 117
Poojah
February 1, 2023, 1:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,896
Gold Stars: 1,527
Quoted from 140381
It was a wake up call. We were bookies’ favourites to go down at the start of the season. Players remember this. We have a reputation which needs shaking off, on and off the field. We’ll get there.

We haven’t finished above 14th in League Two since 2006, approaching 17 years ago. You can understand why those looking in from outside don’t consider that a ‘blip’.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 117
HertsGTFC
February 1, 2023, 1:51pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,010
Gold Stars: 228
I would have liked one experienced striker to go with the young lads, I wasn't bothered if they where prolific scorers or hot properties but just someone with a bit of craft until Taylor is fit. However if the youngsters have pace that's a massive advantage at this level. Worth noting if he remain fit I guess Scanz is like having a new signing with experience.

In terms of defenders I think Emanuel is a decent signing and puts in cover and some competition for places across the back line.

In mid field we have numbers and in reality no less quality than any of the mid table clubs from what I can tell. Would have liked a 3rd keeper just in case but I think there is some flex on the rules on that if you end up compromised.

I don't expect any "names" in the summer window but would like to ensure we have better cover up front from a mix of youth and experience.

My overall reflection is that "Twitter" makes some players really good players and more importantly I'm 100% sure the club did all they could to improve us in this window.

P.S. I think the social media engagement from the club has gone a bit backwards since Sam left as he understood the supporters, and yes I'm being picky on that for sure.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 117
barrattstandman
February 1, 2023, 2:25pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +483
Gold Stars: 17
Connor Wickham remains a free agent . I thought someone higher up would have snapped him up . Would have been a statement if we could have got him just till the end of the season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 117
ex-merseymariner
February 1, 2023, 2:28pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,403
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from MarinerDevil
We've essentially replaced our underwhelming young attacking loanees but with some other ones.

Didn't we do the same last year when we sent revan and bapaga back and got raikhy, mani etc?

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 117
lew chaterleys lover
February 1, 2023, 2:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,788
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from barrattstandman
Connor Wickham remains a free agent . I thought someone higher up would have snapped him up . Would have been a statement if we could have got him just till the end of the season

Good spot but I think we all know we have zero intention of getting a prized asset like him.

That's not a problem if the strategy is to get young players and sell them on, but no point in keep hoping for the impossible.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 117
pontoonlew
February 1, 2023, 2:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
For me, the disappointing part is not the fact we didn't get Dallas/Vernam (although that is obviously not ideal).

The disappointing part is the realisation we're not quite in the position that most of us thought/hoped we were. I genuinely thought we could start to be a real force, we weren't going to get in a bunch of kids again, we were going to deliver on the promise to strengthen every window and the new recruitment team would give us an edge.

The fact that none of that has been delivered makes me extremely worried for the summer, and that's the bit that stings. It was so painfully obvious what was going to happen after about 2 weeks of January and a lot of those alarm bells were shouted down.

I get that we have issues with location, but we're not the only ones and others have brought in permanent players. No doubt we've been unlucky with some bits, but there are some things that will have no doubt have been in our control and i'd really like Hurst & JS to admit to what they were and tell us how they're going to put it right.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 117
Corkyefes
February 1, 2023, 2:55pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from barrattstandman

Be interesting if Wickham would listen to us if we offered him say £7k a week till the end of the season, costing the club approx £112k.

Is that too much of a gamble? -  For me no, as that gives us a bigger chance to hit the play offs.
Or will Hurst just hope that we can get to the playoffs with the current squad.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 117
diehardmariner
February 1, 2023, 3:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,719
Gold Stars: 543
Wickham won't end up here, but I wouldn't be surprised if Hurst does bring in an unattached player at some point in the next few weeks.

Don't think we've come out of a transfer window under Hurst without him going back for a little bit more.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 117
MaccasBoots
February 1, 2023, 3:00pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Approval: +702
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Corkyefes

Be interesting if Wickham would listen to us if we offered him say £7k a week till the end of the season, costing the club approx £112k.

Is that too much of a gamble? -  For me no, as that gives us a bigger chance to hit the play offs.
Or will Hurst just hope that we can get to the playoffs with the current squad.

I have to be honest Corky, I think there's very little chance of us making the play offs at this stage, with so many teams ahead of us - still, few would have envisioned the end of last season going how it did, so maybe it's okay to dream!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 117
Corkyefes
February 1, 2023, 3:16pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from MaccasBoots

I have to be honest Corky, I think there's very little chance of us making the play offs at this stage, with so many teams ahead of us - still, few would have envisioned the end of last season going how it did, so maybe it's okay to dream!

Exactly... never say never, however I am in agreement with you that, with our current squad, playoffs won't be achievable.
Now with a striker like Wickham in the side, does that gives us a glimmer of hope though? - Is it worth a £100k gamble?
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 117
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
February 1, 2023, 3:32pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +876
Gold Stars: 123
It is what it is. We got players in. None of them marquee signings but its often those who come in under the radar who step up to the plate.

Itll be interesting to see who the Scunts are planning on revealing tomorrow in their upcoming '7 names in 7 hours'. Theres bound to be one signing where we all say 'how the hell has he ended up there?'
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 117
ginnywings
February 1, 2023, 3:35pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from pontoonlew
For me, the disappointing part is not the fact we didn't get Dallas/Vernam (although that is obviously not ideal).

The disappointing part is the realisation we're not quite in the position that most of us thought/hoped we were. I genuinely thought we could start to be a real force, we weren't going to get in a bunch of kids again, we were going to deliver on the promise to strengthen every window and the new recruitment team would give us an edge.

The fact that none of that has been delivered makes me extremely worried for the summer, and that's the bit that stings. It was so painfully obvious what was going to happen after about 2 weeks of January and a lot of those alarm bells were shouted down.

I get that we have issues with location, but we're not the only ones and others have brought in permanent players. No doubt we've been unlucky with some bits, but there are some things that will have no doubt have been in our control and i'd really like Hurst & JS to admit to what they were and tell us how they're going to put it right.

How many more times are you going to point out that you were right all along, only to be "shouted down"?

I'm also not sure that the board "promised" to strengthen every window. Stated aim maybe.

Now some may say we are no stronger now than before the window, but that is arguable and yet to be determined. I think the new signings look a bit stronger than those that went out, especially Emmanuel, who could be another Townsend in his impact.

The players who went out were mainly ineffective and no great loss. Richardson the pick of the bunch, but couldn't get past his injuries enough.

I get that a lot of fans are disappointed, and many are looking over their shoulders, with recent form being worrying, but the same players started the season in pretty good form. They have showed themselves to be pretty competent in a lot of games but lack that consistency and a bit of a cutting edge. I was hoping, like others, that the cutting edge part was addressed in this window. Maybe it has been, time will tell.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 117
Marinerdan
February 1, 2023, 3:48pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +15 / -1
Approval: +957
Anyone who thinks Connor Wickham is a realistic transfer target is going to be disappointed with every transfer window.

He only signed at Forest Green to prove his fitness, now he’s proven it he’ll be aiming to get back to the Championship/ top end League 1.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 117
Poojah
February 1, 2023, 3:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Marinerdan
Anyone who thinks Connor Wickham is a realistic transfer target is going to be disappointed with every transfer window.

He only signed at Forest Green to prove his fitness, now he’s proven it he’ll be aiming to get back to the Championship/ top end League 1.

Yeah, but what about all that surplus cash we’ve got splashing about from all the players we didn’t sign? Here’s Hursty going for a relaxing swim after the stress of last night…

[img]https://media1.giphy.com/media/13yNFN1TlNCjC0/giphy.gif[/img]

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 117
barrattstandman
February 1, 2023, 4:02pm
Table Wine Drinker
[quote=1785]Anyone who thinks Connor Wickham is a realistic transfer target is going to be disappointed with every transfer window.

He only signed at Forest Green to prove his fitness, now he’s proven it he’ll be aiming to get back to the Championship/ top end League 1.[/quote.

He has proved his fitness at the bottom of League1 and still no one has come in for him .  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 117
mimma
February 1, 2023, 4:21pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,580
Gold Stars: 78
Wickham will surely go back to the veggies if he can't find a team higher. They can afford his wages.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 117
Mariner_09
February 1, 2023, 4:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from mimma
Wickham will surely go back to the veggies if he can't find a team higher. They can afford his wages.

He'll probably end up and Wrexham!!

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 117
RonMariner
February 1, 2023, 4:25pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,865
Gold Stars: 231
Disappointment comes when reality falls short of expectation.

In this case many of us were hoping to sign Dallas, and the posts which mistakenly claimed he had signed lead us to believe that he had.  So when it emerged that he wasn't coming, added to the Malarkey milarky,  it gave the impression that the club had failed to get these deals over the line.

Well, it is what it is. For me the most important thing now is to secure L2 status and then aim to build the squad further in the summer. The fact is that we are not safe yet. You often see a club plunge into relegation from an apparently safe position. I remember one season, 2011 I think when Lincoln were on 40 points with ten games to go and looked safe. They got one point in those ten games and went down.  It certainly stopped one particular imp poster from gloating for a while, but it should act as a warning sign that 16th place on 30 points is by no means a safe harbor.

I think signing Dallas would certainly have us looking up rather than down the table. However, our situation following the window is as follows. To the squad that performed so well at Luton we can add in O'Neil, Amos, MacAtee, Wearne, Lloyd, Peters, and Emmanuel for the coming league games. (the latter two also available for the Cup game).  

I think that is a squad with plenty of options and it should be able to start picking up wins in L2. So I am confident that we will stay up, which realistically will be an ok result given that most of of players were playing in the NL last season.      
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 117
pontoonlew
February 1, 2023, 4:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
Quoted from ginnywings

How many more times are you going to point out that you were right all along, only to be "shouted down"?

I'm also not sure that the board "promised" to strengthen every window. Stated aim maybe.

Now some may say we are no stronger now than before the window, but that is arguable and yet to be determined. I think the new signings look a bit stronger than those that went out, especially Emmanuel, who could be another Townsend in his impact.

The players who went out were mainly ineffective and no great loss. Richardson the pick of the bunch, but couldn't get past his injuries enough.

I get that a lot of fans are disappointed, and many are looking over their shoulders, with recent form being worrying, but the same players started the season in pretty good form. They have showed themselves to be pretty competent in a lot of games but lack that consistency and a bit of a cutting edge. I was hoping, like others, that the cutting edge part was addressed in this window. Maybe it has been, time will tell.

I’m not exactly pleased with it Ginny, I would’ve loved to have been proven wrong. It genuinely boils my urine knowing the people who dismissed it as moaning at the start are the ones left scratching their heads as to what just went on when 2 weeks ago they were calling you a moaning illegitimate and just wait for the window to shut. In Hursts interview he seemed wound up to hear Matt Dean questioning him on the lack of movement too, but we ended up doing exactly what people feared we would.

If a bunch of miserable twits on a forum saw it coming a mile off, why didn’t Hurst? And if he did, why were we lurking round in the bargain basement on the last day of the window?

Probably shouldn’t let it wind me up as much as it has the habit of doing, but we all support the same football club and have the same interest in it doing well.

I’ve sent my list of questions for the fans forum, and I really hope some are answered (they’re reasonably written too!)
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 117
coddy60
February 1, 2023, 4:33pm

Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +656
Gold Stars: 13
We weren't in for Dallas, due to him seeing his contract out which will give him more bargaining power come the summer.
Mullarkey signed for a club close to his home rather than take in a 2 hour plus drive for similar cash.
People really need to stop believing Twitter bullshit accounts and using them as a stick to beat the club with....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 117
OddShapedBalls
February 1, 2023, 4:44pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,195
Gold Stars: 40
We collectively managed to create 341 pages of banter, nonsense, insults, speculation and mostly good entertainment, that's the real story of this transfer window.  

341 pages, which clubs rumour forums have we beaten with that figure do we think?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 117
sonofmadeleymariner
February 1, 2023, 5:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +20 / -9
Approval: +1,451
Gold Stars: 37
I'm not disappointed, we did exactly what I expected in this window. Sign a player who has spent more time in the physio room than in training in recent times on a "hopefully stays fit contract" and 3 or 4 youth players from teams above us.

Anyone who thought differently was kidding themselves.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 117
out of town
February 1, 2023, 5:11pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: +717
Quoted from coddy60
We weren't in for Dallas, due to him seeing his contract out which will give him more bargaining power come the summer.
Mullarkey signed for a club close to his home rather than take in a 2 hour plus drive for similar cash.
People really need to stop believing Twitter bullshit accounts and using them as a stick to beat the club with....

We were in for Dallas and we pulled out of the Mullarkey deal when Emmanuel became available.

If you’re going to slate others for believing Twitter posts, at least get your own facts correct
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 117
Manchester Mariner
February 1, 2023, 5:18pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,822
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from coddy60

This.

People with 'sources' or friends within the club happy to spout all and sundry or someone PM'ing initials of the player we are definitely signing on request. It's just your standard WUM's with their internet jiggery pokery which folk will fall for yet again come the next transfer window and then furiously lose their heads again.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 117
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
February 1, 2023, 5:30pm

Brandy Drinker
What we need to remember is that a good percentage of transfer fees received will have gone towards paying off the thing that used to own the club. Also yes, we have earned a few pennies in the cup run BUT monies won't be available from it until the end of the season, so will be in the budget for next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 117
coddy60
February 1, 2023, 5:43pm

Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +656
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from out of town

We were in for Dallas and we pulled out of the Mullarkey deal when Emmanuel became available.

If you’re going to slate others for believing Twitter posts, at least get your own facts correct

My facts are fine ta, and my sources are impeccable...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 117
chaos33
February 1, 2023, 5:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,001
Gold Stars: 362
Quoted from pontoonlew

I’m not exactly pleased with it Ginny, I would’ve loved to have been proven wrong. It genuinely boils my urine knowing the people who dismissed it as moaning at the start are the ones left scratching their heads as to what just went on when 2 weeks ago they were calling you a moaning illegitimate and just wait for the window to shut. In Hursts interview he seemed wound up to hear Matt Dean questioning him on the lack of movement too, but we ended up doing exactly what people feared we would.

If a bunch of miserable twits on a forum saw it coming a mile off, why didn’t Hurst? And if he did, why were we lurking round in the bargain basement on the last day of the window?

Probably shouldn’t let it wind me up as much as it has the habit of doing, but we all support the same football club and have the same interest in it doing well.

I’ve sent my list of questions for the fans forum, and I really hope some are answered (they’re reasonably written too!)

Referring to the players we signed as ‘bargain basement’ is pretty disrespectful. I doubt that any posters have any kind of grasp on just how complex the transfer window processes are, and the notion that we could go out and sign a proven 20 goals a season unit of a striker is just daft, for lots of reasons. I’d say we have a squad of players I’m proud of and fully behind, and we can judge the quality of the 4 new arrivals on merit. I trust Hurst and the owners and our club is competitive and stable at this level. I’m happy with that. We are ambitious and realistic, and we know that a promotion capable squad can take time and resource and I personally feel we are, for the most part, across that.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 117
ginnywings
February 1, 2023, 6:02pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from pontoonlew

Fair response and I get your disappointment, but I really can't believe that PH didn't see it coming as you put it, and I don't think we are shopping in the bargain basement either.

None of us know what our targets were and none of us know why we didn't get them. Maybe the ones we got were the targets? PH said he's been keeping an eye on them, so who knows?

I've no doubt whatsoever that we wanted an experienced centre forward, but we didn't get one and I bet that's just as much a buddy for the club as it is the fans.

Anyway, I probably would have had my p1ss boiled too when I was younger, but age has taught me that it doesn't matter how angry you get, it doesn't change stuff you have no control over.

I'll watch the coming games with interest and see what happens.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 117
Limerick Mariner
February 1, 2023, 6:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,751
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from coddy60

My facts are fine ta, and my sources are impeccable...

Who was our main target to replace Taylor then? Hopper, then Garner?

What’s become clearer from this window is location really is major stumbling block - perhaps our recruitment team, who would know it’s always somewhat of an issue for GTFC, have been caught out by it turning out to be more important to players. The Uber generation really don’t want to spend 3 hours plus a day in a car, and don’t want to live in a Cleethorpes hotel.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 117
Northbank Mariner
February 1, 2023, 6:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,533
Gold Stars: 172
What we need to remember is that a good percentage of transfer fees received will have gone towards paying off the thing that used to own the club. Also yes, we have earned a few pennies in the cup run BUT monies won't be available from it until the end of the season, so will be in the budget for next season.

Jesus wept!..somebody else who understands how budgets work!..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 117
lew chaterleys lover
February 1, 2023, 6:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Who was our main target to replace Taylor then? Hopper, then Garner?

What’s become clearer from this window is location really is major stumbling block - perhaps our recruitment team, who would know it’s always somewhat of an issue for GTFC, have been caught out by it turning out to be more important to players. The Uber generation really don’t want to spend 3 hours plus a day in a car, and don’t want to live in a Cleethorpes hotel.

How come we got 3 players in then for 6 months from Preston, Cheltenham and Norwich? I reckon the Hull lad can travel,  if he lives in Hull.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 117
Heswall Mariner
February 1, 2023, 6:59pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +594
At first it seems daft to have paid a fee for Josh Emmanuel on a contract just the end of the season.
Given his health issues I guess  there's an  option clause in there come June - just saying.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 117
ginnywings
February 1, 2023, 7:10pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Heswall Mariner
At first it seems daft to have paid a fee for Josh Emmanuel on a contract just the end of the season.
Given his health issues I guess  there's an  option clause in there come June - just saying.

Depends what the fee was. Could have just been a token amount.

Hurst knows him from Ipswich, so he obviously thought he was worth it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 117
Limerick Mariner
February 1, 2023, 7:26pm
Whiskey Drinker

How come we got 3 players in then for 6 months from Preston, Cheltenham and Norwich? I reckon the Hull lad can travel,  if he lives in Hull.

3 young lads on loan who are desperate to prove themselves in the game. It’s different from permanent signings of players in their mid to late 20s - the bracket of more experienced players where we are struggling to persuade players to come to Gy from further than Yorkshire.

Of our last few permanent signings most have been either already linked with the area - Holohan, or already based reasonably close in Yorkshire - Green, Maher, Orsi and now Emmanuel. Morris wasn’t too far away either in Burton. Khan was in London but from Greater Manchester so we at least got him back up north.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 117
aldi_01
February 1, 2023, 7:31pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
As we all know, this board is not the place for reasoned and balanced discussions, especially when we’ve come out of a transfer window.

Simple fact it, the reputation of the club that has been damaged badly for 20 years and I’d imagine, a cost of living crisis is clearly having an impact on clubs like Towns’ ability to sign players. I’m sure some work argue that others managed it but perhaps those clubs are fighting an old reputation and are happy to splash some cash, likely to finish in the same position as us.

I remember the same reaction last year and ironically, 2 of those players who people complained about played a significant part in our season and history.

If people are sat at home thinking the club or Hurst are buzzing their mammaries off with the window then you’re a flipping idiot but also, as professionals they’ll believe and stand by their decisions. Everyone was looking for that elusive striker and whilst Dallas would’ve been a great addition, is paying a fee for him now really worth it? His agent has clearly told him to sit tight and you can’t argue with that.

In truth, everything else was conjecture and rumours so we’ll never know of any of them were ever possibilities, we have to support the club and who knows, it could all click, if not, it’ll be the season we’d have all taken this time last year. In fact, it’ll be the season we’d have all taken in July…

I do have a personal issue with this transfer window bollcoks, it just seems something to justify paying that annoying jock twit on talksport/sky a whacking salary and it gives those alleged experts something to talk about I guess…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 117
golfer
February 1, 2023, 7:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
I have just read  3406 posts on the transfer thread and have now come to the conclusion, after much thought, that the Fishy members including myself know fckall about football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 117
lew chaterleys lover
February 1, 2023, 7:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

3 young lads on loan who are desperate to prove themselves in the game. It’s different from permanent signings of players in their mid to late 20s - the bracket of more experienced players where we are struggling to persuade players to come to Gy from further than Yorkshire.

Of our last few permanent signings most have been either already linked with the area - Holohan, or already based reasonably close in Yorkshire - Green, Maher, Orsi and now Emmanuel. Morris wasn’t too far away either in Burton. Khan was in London but from Greater Manchester so we at least got him back up north.

The Cheltenham lad is the same age as McAtee isn't he? He is not a teenager looking to make a name for himself. The other two are very highly regarded by their respective clubs so didn't need to come here particularly.

Whenever we sign anybody there is always the ah but argument. Players join us from nearby Yorkshire which is easier you say yet people go on about all that extra travelling would put people off coming, or they want to be near a big city for the amenities. Make your minds up! You say Holohan has links locally, yet he was happy enough to go to Hartlepool because its what players do for their career when required.

We can sign players OK, but I will agree that it is more difficult because we are looked at as a lower league 2/National league club and it will take time to restore our reputation.

Private Message
Reply: 50 - 117
forza ivano
February 1, 2023, 8:05pm

Exile
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

Didn't we do the same last year when we sent revan and bapaga back and got raikhy, mani etc?

no, beacause Abrahams and Mani had each played c100 games in the leagues above. May not have had a brilliant scoring record but' seasoned' pros

ps am i the only 1 who things that if we got Dodoo in, it will completely change the perspective?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 117
chaos33
February 1, 2023, 8:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker

The Cheltenham lad is the same age as McAtee isn't he? He is not a teenager looking to make a name for himself. The other two are very highly regarded by their respective clubs so didn't need to come here particularly.

Whenever we sign anybody there is always the ah but argument. Players join us from nearby Yorkshire yet people go on about all that extra travelling would put people off coming or they want to be near a big city for the amenities. Make your minds up! You say Holohan has links locally, yet he was happy enough to go to Hartlepool because its what players do for their career when required.

We can sign players OK, but I will agree that it is more difficult because we are looked at as a lower league 2/National league club and it will take time to restore our reputation.

Agree.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 117
aldi_01
February 1, 2023, 8:39pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from chaos33

Agree.

Our reputation is in tatters, it appears some fans can’t or won’t see that but it’s true and like with business with a excrement reputation, they struggle to recruit.

We’ve had little stability in 25 years and to be fair, the vast majority of that time has been spent as a struggling league 2/conference club, ya can throw all the money around you want, unless it’s eye watering amounts like Wrexham, the lads we’ve picked up will be all you’ll get.

Personally, I don’t think it was bad and should Dodoo arrive I think it would be regarded as a success. I’m sensible enough to know a 25 goal a season striker wasn’t landing in January…

Anyway, can we just focus on football matches now…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 117
Heswall Mariner
February 1, 2023, 9:12pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +594
Quoted from golfer
I have just read  3406 posts on the transfer thread and have now come to the conclusion, after much thought, that the Fishy members including myself know fckall about football.

Rock on Golfer - but without the Fishy I would be struggling to have a voice - especially after a few sherbets whilst the wife is watching Call the Midwife or some other crap in the other room.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 117
chaos33
February 1, 2023, 9:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

Our reputation is in tatters, it appears some fans can’t or won’t see that but it’s true and like with business with a excrement reputation, they struggle to recruit.

We’ve had little stability in 25 years and to be fair, the vast majority of that time has been spent as a struggling league 2/conference club, ya can throw all the money around you want, unless it’s eye watering amounts like Wrexham, the lads we’ve picked up will be all you’ll get.

Personally, I don’t think it was bad and should Dodoo arrive I think it would be regarded as a success. I’m sensible enough to know a 25 goal a season striker wasn’t landing in January…

Anyway, can we just focus on football matches now…

Why is ‘our reputation in tatters’?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 117
MuddyWaters
February 1, 2023, 9:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,289
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from chaos33

And 25 years? We got promoted 25 years ago.
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 117
Northbank Mariner
February 1, 2023, 9:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,533
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from chaos33

Because for 13 years we've been perennial strugglers, 2 relegations to the NL in that time, highest league position was 14th, the Holloway and May debacle..our 'recent' history is shambolic, its as simple as that..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 117
Poojah
February 1, 2023, 9:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from chaos33

Because we haven’t finished higher than 14th in League Two since 2006, have been relegated out of the football league not once but twice in that time, and spent the vast majority of said period in the custody of one John Shelton Fenty, whom the less said about the better.

We have been an absolute disaster zone for such a long time and it will undoubtedly take time to repair that. Imagine you’re a player on deadline day and you’re sat with your agent as the clock’s running down:

“Right then, we’ve got offers on the table from Club X, Club Y and Grimsby”.

There’s no time for desk research, and no copies of The Guardian to hand. All you’ve got to go on is gut feel. If you’re being honest, more often than not, it’s anyone but Grimsby.

This will change, it’s early days in the big scheme of things. But as of right now, our reputation precedes us and that ain’t a good thing.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 117
wacca wacca
February 1, 2023, 9:47pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: -1,124
Gold Stars: 12
i come in peace.
genuinely interested on what peoples opinions are on moving the training ground possibly an hour west on the yorkshire border?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 117
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 1, 2023, 9:52pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,773
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from wacca wacca
i come in peace.
genuinely interested on what peoples opinions are on moving the training ground possibly an hour west on the yorkshire border?

Before we go over old ground can you clarify how you came to be so certain Dallas was at Cheapside yesterday?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 117
ginnywings
February 1, 2023, 9:52pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from wacca wacca
i come in peace.

Your last post before this one went something like- Dallas with agent at Cheapside, 100%, you have my word.

The word genuine doesn't really cut any ice with you, does it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 117
Norseman
February 1, 2023, 11:55pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +277
Gold Stars: 48
Disappointed .Got caught up in the positive vibes coming from the board . Enthusiasm waned for this season.Think we will finish well down the table .Even possibly get involved in a relegation fight  looking at how teams below us have strengthened..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 117
DB
February 2, 2023, 5:45am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Because we haven’t finished higher than 14th in League Two since 2006, have been relegated out of the football league not once but twice in that time, and spent the vast majority of said period in the custody of one John Shelton Fenty, whom the less said about the better.

We have been an absolute disaster zone for such a long time and it will undoubtedly take time to repair that. Imagine you’re a player on deadline day and you’re sat with your agent as the clock’s running down:

“Right then, we’ve got offers on the table from Club X, Club Y and Grimsby”.

There’s no time for desk research, and no copies of The Guardian to hand. All you’ve got to go on is gut feel. If you’re being honest, more often than not, it’s anyone but Grimsby.

This will change, it’s early days in the big scheme of things. But as of right now, our reputation precedes us and that ain’t a good thing.

Crofty said, at the Luton game, that the club needed rebuilding from top to bottom which of course included the clubs' reputation. 5th May 2021 was the start, and as the saying goes Rome wasn't built in a day. At the end of the 21/22 season, we took a massive leap forward.

As far as I'm concerned we can be a championship club again, but it will take time. I just hope I'm alive to see it.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 117
chaos33
February 2, 2023, 6:48am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Your last post before this one went something like- Dallas with agent at Cheapside, 100%, you have my word.

The word genuine doesn't really cut any ice with you, does it?

This. I think we can conclude that anything further from this poster is, well….for want of a better description…..absolute b0ll0cks

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 117
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 2, 2023, 7:33am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,028
Gold Stars: 190
Maybe wacca is just soccer express and just continues under a different guise? There (allegedly) seems to be a striking resemblance in the telling of porkies

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 117
barrattstandman
February 2, 2023, 7:38am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from wacca wacca
i come in peace.

If we did that then Harry would probably ask for a transfer due to the extra travelling . Role reversal
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 117
February 2, 2023, 10:18am
Guest User
Quoted from pontoonlew

So you know this for a fact, right?
Reply: 67 - 117
diehardmariner
February 2, 2023, 12:57pm
Vodka Drinker

Whenever we sign anybody there is always the ah but argument. Players join us from nearby Yorkshire which is easier you say yet people go on about all that extra travelling would put people off coming, or they want to be near a big city for the amenities. Make your minds up! You say Holohan has links locally, yet he was happy enough to go to Hartlepool because its what players do for their career when required.

More people (including footballers) live in the highly populated regions of the UK. (North-West corridor, Midlands, South-East).

Our nearest highly populated area is the Sheffield/South Yorks region.  That's the only one within an hour-and-half of travelling, no shock that we recruit more players with links to this area than anywhere else.

A lot of, not all, people (again, including footballers) aren't prepared to have significant travel time added onto their day. Those who are based and settled in an areas requiring significant travel to here are less likely to want to sign.

The fact exceptions like Holohan was happy to drive up to Hartlepool or James Lawson signing on loan from Southend for us are exceptions.

Location, just like reputation, is a big problem we face when it comes to successful recruitment and highlights the challenge Hurst and his team face.
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 117
lew chaterleys lover
February 2, 2023, 1:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner

More people (including footballers) live in the highly populated regions of the UK. (North-West corridor, Midlands, South-East).

Our nearest highly populated area is the Sheffield/South Yorks region.  That's the only one within an hour-and-half of travelling, no shock that we recruit more players with links to this area than anywhere else.

A lot of, not all, people (again, including footballers) aren't prepared to have significant travel time added onto their day. Those who are based and settled in an areas requiring significant travel to here are less likely to want to sign.

The fact exceptions like Holohan was happy to drive up to Hartlepool or James Lawson signing on loan from Southend for us are exceptions.

Location, just like reputation, is a big problem we face when it comes to successful recruitment and highlights the challenge Hurst and his team face.

Players move around the country all the time. It's their living you see; it's what professional footballers do. They are mercenaries in the main and they know they will be at any club for just a year or two. The greater the financial reward the more chance you have of getting them to move wherever they are based.

How are the 2 examples quoted "exceptions" for us when in this very window we have got players coming from Norwich, Preston and Cheltenham?
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 117
Maringer
February 2, 2023, 1:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,682
Gold Stars: 189

How are the 2 examples quoted "exceptions" for us when in this very window we have got players coming from Norwich, Preston and Cheltenham?

Seems a bit disingenuous to try and conflate loanees with permanent signings. The three you mention are going to be here until the end of the season to get some game time/experience. If we want to try and sign any of them permanently, no doubt location will become more of a consideration than a temporary job for 4 months or so.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 117
diehardmariner
February 2, 2023, 1:29pm
Vodka Drinker

Because they are exactly that, they're against the rule of the majority. They're in the minority, not the minority.

Even during the days of the Conference when we had a top 7 budget, we struggled to attract players from a distance away.

It's no good offering an extra £300 to someone when that's more than wiped out with travel costs, not to mention god knows how many hours a week on the road.
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 117
Limerick Mariner
February 2, 2023, 2:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
I suspect the window has been a wake up call for 1878, PH and it should be for us as fans  as well. We need to adjust our expectations. We know the club has financially done relatively well over the last few months and that’s created a bit of a twitter sphere frenzy that we should be going out and landing loads of permanents signings. I didn’t expect all the extra cash to be lumped into the budget for this window but I did expect us to be competitive with the likes of Barrow, Rochdale and Colchester.

1878 want to build a sustainable football club in the heart of the Gy and Clee community. They don’t want a training ground in Donny or even Barnetby top. They want the players mixing and spending money in Gy. Problem is players dont to want to do that in Gy for whatever reason, or need too much over the going pay rate to do so. We’ve a ragged reputation thanks to the last owner but I didn’t see it being as problematic or persisting as much as it appears to be. We are going to have to be more patient than perhaps we expected to need to be. The key thing for me is a I have every respect for what 1878 are trying to do. We need get behind them and support the club, PH and the players in every way we can.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 117
lew chaterleys lover
February 2, 2023, 2:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

Seems a bit disingenuous to try and conflate loanees with permanent signings. The three you mention are going to be here until the end of the season to get some game time/experience. If we want to try and sign any of them permanently, no doubt location will become more of a consideration than a temporary job for 4 months or so.

Not at all. The previous poster showed a loan as an example, but in any event nearly all of our current squad have come to play for us permanently from clubs spread far and wide.

They include

Newport
Australia(!)
Wealdstone
Barrow (in Furness before you ask)
Shrewsbury
Hull
Halifax
Burnley
Hartlepool
Leyton Orient
Sunderland
Sheffield
Burton
Blackpool
Scunthorpe
Boreham Wood/Harrogate

That is just this season's squad. I could have added more names but those players have now left the club. It is the same for every squad in whatever division we are in.

We might not be getting the players we really want, and sometimes location plays a part as with all clubs, but if you want the better players then you have to up the ante and restore our somewhat battered reputation.

Private Message
Reply: 73 - 117
diehardmariner
February 2, 2023, 3:01pm
Vodka Drinker

We might not be getting the players we really want

And that's it!

Lots of the players we're signing are the ones who don't have a choice but to travel or move because no-one else is in for them.

Private Message
Reply: 74 - 117
SteffiMariner
February 2, 2023, 3:10pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Approval: +408
Gold Stars: 19

And that's it!

Lots of the players we're signing are the ones who don't have a choice but to travel or move because no-one else is in for them.

Can you back up this statement with facts?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 117
diehardmariner
February 2, 2023, 3:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Of course I can't, you know that.

Just like there's no evidence to say that the reason players aren't coming here is because of money, location, reputation, if we're wearing red socks or not.

I'm partly reading between the lines but also partly going on information I've been told from credible sources. I'm not ITK and don't claim to be, but I've absolutely no reason to doubt that when I'm told that location and the prospect of travel is a major barrier for signing targets.

The level of doubt you, or anyone else, view that with is entirely down to you. It's no skin off my nose.
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 117
lew chaterleys lover
February 2, 2023, 3:46pm
Vodka Drinker

And that's it!

You have taken that out of context, but in any event I am sure the first-team squad are thrilled to hear you believe that!

Actually, there have been many interviews with players who mentioned they had more than one or several offers but chose Grimsby because of the manager, or they know some other players or I've heard it is a good place to come to play your football. Happens all the time.

I do agree however that getting our perfect world top targets is proving difficult for all sorts of reasons, usually but not always financial, and players have all sorts of things happening in their lives just like everybody else.

Private Message
Reply: 77 - 117
diehardmariner
February 2, 2023, 3:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Fair enough, I did highlight a single point and took it out of the context of your whole post. You're right, I apologise for that.

You've got your view on this and I've mine. I certainly can't resolve it and unless you're not telling us something, I don't think it's in your gift either.  Fingers crossed it's part of the whole rebuilding process that we make ourselves a more appealing employer.
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 117
lew chaterleys lover
February 2, 2023, 4:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Fair enough, I did highlight a single point and took it out of the context of your whole post. You're right, I apologise for that.

You've got your view on this and I've mine. I certainly can't resolve it and unless you're not telling us something, I don't think it's in your gift either.  Fingers crossed it's part of the whole rebuilding process that we make ourselves a more appealing employer.

Agreed. Disagreeing is part and parcel of the forum. UTM
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 117
Maringer
February 2, 2023, 6:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,682
Gold Stars: 189
One thing I would be pretty certain about is that it will be easier to persuade players to relocate if you sign them in the summer months. When you sign somebody in the January transfer window, there is no way for them to have time to settle as it is straight in with a couple of matches every week until the end of the season. Even if they are commuting to some degree, it is going to be easier to get used to during the summer than the winter - better weather, easier driving conditions, light nights, etc.

Last season was one of the rare occasions where the January signings helped to turn the season around. The exact opposite of the Slade era where we were romping away with it until the arrival of Junior Mendes, Ben Futcher, Marc Goodfellow and Curtis Woodhouse in January!

Woodhouse and Goodfellow both decent enough players but we seemed to be playing for free-kicks too much following the arrival of Futcher as Woodhouse repeatedly launched the ball into the box for our giant defenders. Oh, and Junior Mendes was utterly useless in every regard.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 117
ginnywings
February 2, 2023, 6:55pm

Recovering Alcoholic
There must be some kind of graph or venn diagram showing the likelihood of us signing a player, in contrast with his demand.

The more a player is wanted by clubs, the less likely we are to land him.

We can, will, and have signed thousands of players, but signing players in high demand is another matter.

We need to unearth gems that others have overlooked. McAtee being a prime example.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 117
Limerick Mariner
February 2, 2023, 7:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
There must be some kind of graph or venn diagram showing the likelihood of us signing a player, in contrast with his demand.

We can, will, and have signed thousands of players, but signing players in high demand is another matter.

We need to unearth gems that others have overlooked. McAtee being a prime example.

But need a bigger area for our detectorists, we can't rely on just next doors allotment...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 117
MuddyWaters
February 2, 2023, 8:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,289
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from ginnywings

I reckon a dedicated Head of Recruitment will help but probably more so in the long term.
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 117
diehardmariner
February 2, 2023, 8:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
One thing I would be pretty certain about is that it will be easier to persuade players to relocate if you sign them in the summer months. When you sign somebody in the January transfer window, there is no way for them to have time to settle as it is straight in with a couple of matches every week until the end of the season. Even if they are commuting to some degree, it is going to be easier to get used to during the summer than the winter - better weather, easier driving conditions, light nights, etc.

Last season was one of the rare occasions where the January signings helped to turn the season around. The exact opposite of the Slade era where we were romping away with it until the arrival of Junior Mendes, Ben Futcher, Marc Goodfellow and Curtis Woodhouse in January!

Woodhouse and Goodfellow both decent enough players but we seemed to be playing for free-kicks too much following the arrival of Futcher as Woodhouse repeatedly launched the ball into the box for our giant defenders. Oh, and Junior Mendes was utterly useless in every regard.

Under Hurst (and Scott) there was that recruitment in 2012/13 when we brought Ross Hannah back on a permanent deal along with  LJL plus Jamie Devitt and Marcus Marshall coming back on loan. Of course Richard Brodie arrived too.

I remember thinking at the time that we'd just sealed the title, as it happened we imploded in Spring and looked absolutely abject in the play-offs against Newport.

The Slade ones were odd. On paper it looked good business. Both Goodfellow and Mendes had caused us problems before and Futcher fitted in with the more aerial approach. Woodhouse was just a very good player, especially at that level.

It just upset everything though. Rob Jones and Justin Whittle were rock steady at the back, Futcher was shoehorned into that.  Mendes was useless but Slade persisted with him, I think using him as a back up to Michael Reddy when Gary Cohen had done a more than decent job of that role.

Woodhouse was individually fine, but it broke up a good pairing of Toner and Bolland.

And I can still see Good fellow's miss at Orient!

Private Message
Reply: 84 - 117
aldi_01
February 2, 2023, 8:48pm

Barley Wine Drinker

Under Hurst (and Scott) there was that recruitment in 2012/13 when we brought Ross Hannah back on a permanent deal along with  LJL plus Jamie Devitt and Marcus Marshall coming back on loan. Of course Richard Brodie arrived too.

I remember thinking at the time that we'd just sealed the title, as it happened we imploded in Spring and looked absolutely abject in the play-offs against Newport.

The Slade ones were odd. On paper it looked good business. Both Goodfellow and Mendes had caused us problems before and Futcher fitted in with the more aerial approach. Woodhouse was just a very good player, especially at that level.

It just upset everything though. Rob Jones and Justin Whittle were rock steady at the back, Futcher was shoehorned into that.  Mendes was useless but Slade persisted with him, I think using him as a back up to Michael Reddy when Gary Cohen had done a more than decent job of that role.

Woodhouse was individually fine, but it broke up a good pairing of Toner and Bolland.

And I can still see Good fellow's miss at Orient!

That miss haunts me…

The January transfer window is odd and as you have proven, can actually be more unsettling than good…

The fact is the window is hype, it’s a media thing and that then spreads to fans…

Ask yourself the question, is a team with a front that’s already well in to double figures gonna let him go, mid season? Unlikely unless it’s league 2 going to top championship or premier league.

We know teams in the conference and conference north are paying league 2 wages so it’s not as simple as what Peterborough did a few times years back and poach someone because now they’re already on good money…sadly, not everyone is arsed about playing higher up if they have a steady income and lifestyle.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 117
RonMariner
February 2, 2023, 8:50pm

Special Brew Drinker
The test of how well or badly we did in the window will depend on how the new guys play.

Presumably most of the recent newcomers were spotted by the new head of recruitment. It looks like he did ok at Lincoln so there is a good chance that one or two of them might be ok.

We will see in the coming month when we have so many games that they will all probably get some game time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 117
lew chaterleys lover
February 2, 2023, 8:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I reckon a dedicated Head of Recruitment will help but probably more so in the long term.

The only justification I can see for a Head of Recruitment role is to identify players that are so obscure they will be cheap enough for us to get. Hurst will surely know the seasoned players he would like in a perfect world.

If that is the policy then it is a good appointment; if the HoR presents a list of players that we have no intention of affording then it is a waste of a wage.
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 117
grimsby pete
February 2, 2023, 9:07pm

Exile
I don't know if we can do this but one thing that might help to get players here is to give them a generous signing on fee.

If we already do that then maybe we better increase the amount , just a thought.

At least we can keep to our salary scale so other players already here know they are all all on the same money or thereabouts.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 117
ginnywings
February 2, 2023, 9:38pm

Recovering Alcoholic

The only justification I can see for a Head of Recruitment role is to identify players that are so obscure they will be cheap enough for us to get. Hurst will surely know the seasoned players he would like in a perfect world.

If that is the policy then it is a good appointment; if the HoR presents a list of players that we have no intention of affording then it is a waste of a wage.

I would imagine that part of the reason PH wanted a HoR was to take some of the burden off himself. He spent many a night and weekend travelling around watching games by all accounts.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 117
chaos33
February 2, 2023, 9:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Impossible to know the nuances and futile and silly to pontificate without that detail.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 117
HertsGTFC
February 2, 2023, 9:58pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

I would imagine that part of the reason PH wanted a HoR was to take some of the burden off himself. He spent many a night and weekend travelling around watching games by all accounts.

And probably to decipher all the data that now comes with a player, especially the lads who have come through academies at big clubs.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 117
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
February 3, 2023, 1:40pm

Brandy Drinker
How many of the recent acquisitions are cup-tied?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 117
Mariner_09
February 3, 2023, 1:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55

Lloyd is the only new one cup tied.

But Dickson-Peters and Emmanuel couldn't play for us in the original tie, thus are ineligible for the replay.

In other words, I'd rest Danilo on Saturday as he absolutely has to play on Tuesday night, as we have no alternative.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 117
DB
February 3, 2023, 2:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker

I think we will be relying on the same squad that played the first game.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 117
jamesgtfc
February 3, 2023, 2:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,053

None of them can play the replay but some of them would be able to play against Southampton if we get past Luton.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 117
lukeo
February 4, 2023, 7:40am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,420
Gold Stars: 149
My personal opinion on location is that we will always struggle. As someone has pointed out , realistically we have maybe Sheffield that's a sensible drive away..
Whereas places like Solihull for example have many many cities around them. Much more likely to attract players in the sense of location.

I think the window went OK. I think we have a good solid mid table squad and we've just added some potential fire power upfront and a full back to push Miche for a spot. I'm happy with this season so far, even if some games have been awful to watch (Swindon away wasn't awful to watch, we just got battered by a very good footballing side)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 117
aldi_01
February 4, 2023, 8:11am

Barley Wine Drinker
Sat reading this and the cup tied thing pops up, isn’t it time to get rid of this nonsense rule given they place so much emphasis on transfer windows? Seems like a draconian ruling that is just pointless. They’re our players now, we should be able to let them do their job…

My understanding is the champions league did away with a rule after a certain point in the competition.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 117
RonMariner
February 4, 2023, 8:53am

Special Brew Drinker
We need to see the new players in action before we can draw any definitive conclusions regarding the business we did in the window. Let’s see if we get any clues today.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 117
lew chaterleys lover
February 4, 2023, 9:13am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from lukeo
My personal opinion on location is that we will always struggle. As someone has pointed out , realistically we have maybe Sheffield that's a sensible drive away..
Whereas places like Solihull for example have many many cities around them. Much more likely to attract players in the sense of location.

I think the window went OK. I think we have a good solid mid table squad and we've just added some potential fire power upfront and a full back to push Miche for a spot. I'm happy with this season so far, even if some games have been awful to watch (Swindon away wasn't awful to watch, we just got battered by a very good footballing side)

Solihull,  Walsall, Rochdale and countless others show you can be surrounded by big cities and in theory have a wider choice of players, but as their lack of success shows location is only a small part of the equation.

Salary, manager, existing players, being in demand, how big the club is and a clubs reputation are all bigger factors IMO.
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 117
HertsGTFC
February 4, 2023, 10:09am

Barley Wine Drinker
I love this debate around location, Grimsby isn’t moving from NEL so if it’s one of the blockers many (including myself) alongside a poor reputation believe it is then the club need to think about a strategy to attract the talent we all would like to see.

Clearly money is a factor so not only do we need to offer a decent basic you would imagine a package would need to include performance incentives, travel & subsistence support and for the more experienced players fees for coaching and education courses so they can start building for a career after football.

What I would also add is 2 spells in the NL a poor historic reputation as an employer and 16th in the EFL also does not make us that attractive. I’m convinced if recent league form had been better and we’d stayed realistically in touch with the play offs this window may have looked slightly better as players want to be part of a successful team.

So I guess the reason for posting the above is around managing expectations as the problems we have will only be conquered by long term building and change so this probably won’t be the last window where some supporters are disappointed.

I trust 1878 and we have a good manager who knows what to do so given time it will get better.

Oh yeah one final thing on the manager, about him being tight, stubborn, too picky and slow to react. I’m fairly confident that no poster on this board can back up their digs with real facts. I also think it’s safe to say he want success like all of us and is much better qualified in terms of experience, skills and knowledge than every poster on this board.

Time to leave it behind and get behind the lads I reckon.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 117
lukeo
February 4, 2023, 10:13am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,420
Gold Stars: 149
A small part is still a part. It won't stop everyone but people will consider it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 117
lew chaterleys lover
February 4, 2023, 10:21am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I love this debate around location, Grimsby isn’t moving from NEL so if it’s one of the blockers many (including myself) alongside a poor reputation believe it is then the club need to think about a strategy to attract the talent we all would like to see.

Clearly money is a factor so not only do we need to offer a decent basic you would imagine a package would need to include performance incentives, travel & subsistence support and for the more experienced players fees for coaching and education courses so they can start building for a career after football.

What I would also add is 2 spells in the NL a poor historic reputation as an employer and 16th in the EFL also does not make us that attractive. I’m convinced if recent league form had been better and we’d stayed realistically in touch with the play offs this window may have looked slightly better as players want to be part of a successful team.

So I guess the reason for posting the above is around managing expectations as the problems we have will only be conquered by long term building and change so this probably won’t be the last window where some supporters are disappointed.

I trust 1878 and we have a good manager who knows what to do so given time it will get better.

Oh yeah one final thing on the manager, about him being tight, stubborn, too picky and slow to react. I’m fairly confident that no poster on this board can back up their digs with real facts. I also think it’s safe to say he want success like all of us and is much better qualified in terms of experience, skills and knowledge than every poster on this board.

Time to leave it behind and get behind the lads I reckon.

I broadly agree with that and we all know we won't be getting any marquee signings due to the cost.

If the strategy is to get longer term success by trying to blend a team within limited means then fair enough.
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 117
RonMariner
February 4, 2023, 11:09am

Special Brew Drinker
If location really is an issue then it means we may have to pay a bit more in wages to secure some key targets. Given the overall financial health of the club I would imagine there is room to do this on a selective basis.

January recruitment is always likely to be tough because most players are on contracts to the end of a particular season. It will be interesting to see how we do in the Summer, and this may be a better gauge to the ambitions of the club. .  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 117
grassbandits
February 4, 2023, 6:15pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +134
Gold Stars: 6
Not seen it mentioned but last day we were offered Tashan Oakley-Boothe but didn’t want him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 117
DaleH
February 4, 2023, 6:48pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +808
Gold Stars: 168
It’s okay doubters we forgive you, and we all still love you too. 😉

"BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 117
forza ivano
February 4, 2023, 7:13pm

Exile
Hold my hands up. Wtf do I know about deadline transfer day?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 117
rancido
February 4, 2023, 7:49pm

Special Brew Drinker
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,661
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from forza ivano
Hold my hands up. Wtf do I know about deadline transfer day?

If only more posters were as ready to admit they were wrong like you

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 117
LH
February 4, 2023, 7:55pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,601
Gold Stars: 177
For the purposes of debate: Can we establish once and for all how many games we judge a players ability on? Clearly 0 isn’t enough but 1 apparently is. If someone had seen a player play against us and he’d had a stinker then is it that enough?

Let’s see after a few more games including some against some better opposition before we start the point scoring shall we?
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 117
sonofmadeleymariner
February 4, 2023, 7:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +20 / -9
Approval: +1,451
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from LH
For the purposes of debate: Can we establish once and for all how many games we judge a players ability on? Clearly 0 isn’t enough but 1 is. If someone had seen a player play against us and he’d had a stinker then is it that enough?

Let’s see after a few more games including some against some better opposition before we start the point scoring shall we?

Fully agree. Crewe were shocking today. We could just as easily find out in the coming weeks that was the only reason for their good performance today

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 117
ginnywings
February 4, 2023, 7:57pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Thing is, it's not that PH is absolutely right and the naysayers absolutely wrong. I'm sure Hurst, the club and ourselves wanted some more experienced and capable players through the door last month, but it wasn't to be for various reasons, so we had to get the best that we could, and with a fair wind, the new recruits will have a valuable contribution to our season, and improve us by increments.

It wasn't a huge leap in the squad, but I think it was an improvement, borne out by the result today.

The truth is somewhere between an utter shambles of a window, and absolute masterclass in recruitment. The extreme views are just that: extreme.

PH wanted more, he said as much, but this is what we've got until the end of the season, so let's just crack on and see.

If we finish where we are now, it won't be as exciting as last season, but it will be a better season than last, just for being in the EFL.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 117
HerveJosse
February 4, 2023, 8:10pm
Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,209
Gold Stars: 145
Some balance please. When the window closed and those defending the apparently underwhelming signings said we needed to give them time. Now after one game they are saying the sceptics were wrong. We all hope they are successful but need to remember they are on loan or contracts that expire at end of May so the more successful they are the less likely they will be here after that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 117
RonMariner
February 5, 2023, 12:30pm

Special Brew Drinker
I see that Chelsea spent £321million in the window. Kinda puts things in perspective regarding the gulf between the top clubs and clubs lower down the pyramid.  

I can’t though for the life of me understand how this is permissible. I thought there were fair play rules about how much clubs could spend? What must their income be in order to allow an outlay of a third of a billion mid season?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 117
jamesgtfc
February 5, 2023, 12:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,053
Quoted from RonMariner
I see that Chelsea spent £321million in the window. Kinda puts things in perspective regarding the gulf between the top clubs and clubs lower down the pyramid.  

I can’t though for the life of me understand how this is permissible. I thought there were fair play rules about how much clubs could spend? What must their income be in order to allow an outlay of a third of a billion mid season?

Amortisation is how it's possible. Any transfer fee is spread across the length of the contract; which is why Mudryk got an 8 year deal. UEFA are now looking to time limit the period it's spread over due to this.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 117
grimsby pete
February 5, 2023, 12:54pm

Exile
Quoted from RonMariner

Plus that was after spending approx 280 million in the summer .

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 117
RonMariner
February 7, 2023, 2:20pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete

Plus that was after spending approx 280 million in the summer .

Wow. £600 million in a few months.and I still wouldn’t back them to win anything this season. How crazy is that!?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 117
Marinerdan
February 7, 2023, 4:52pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +15 / -1
Approval: +957
Quoted from RonMariner

Wow. £600 million in a few months.and I still wouldn’t back them to win anything this season. How crazy is that!?

They seem to have spent a fortune on fairly average players. 300m on Fernandez, Fofana and Mudryk seems crackers. They all have great potential but they’ve probably paid 3x too much.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 117
DB
March 2, 2023, 6:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I think the Southampton game and result will show any prospective future players what Town are about. Hopefully, it will put the legacy of the past regime to bed.

We are no longer a yoyo club between EFL2/NL.
We are a club with ambition that is achievable.
We play good football ( most of the time ) and can match League 1 clubs, a Champion Club and now a prem team all in their own backyards.
We have a manager in Hurst who knows what to do and his standing must be on the up.
We will have a new training ground.

and finally one important point for any new player

The sight of 4,000+ Magnificent Mariners in full voice for nearly 90 minutes. 12th man, fear of God or call it what you like but they played their part. I'm not saying every week it will be like that but that is what you get from the fans when the team plays well.

So any potential signing should consider all the above and if Hurst wants you, then sign.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 117
12 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Transfer Window Reflection Thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.