12 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
February 4, 2023, 7:57pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Thing is, it's not that PH is absolutely right and the naysayers absolutely wrong. I'm sure Hurst, the club and ourselves wanted some more experienced and capable players through the door last month, but it wasn't to be for various reasons, so we had to get the best that we could, and with a fair wind, the new recruits will have a valuable contribution to our season, and improve us by increments.

It wasn't a huge leap in the squad, but I think it was an improvement, borne out by the result today.

The truth is somewhere between an utter shambles of a window, and absolute masterclass in recruitment. The extreme views are just that: extreme.

PH wanted more, he said as much, but this is what we've got until the end of the season, so let's just crack on and see.

If we finish where we are now, it won't be as exciting as last season, but it will be a better season than last, just for being in the EFL.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 117
HerveJosse
February 4, 2023, 8:10pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,204
Gold Stars: 144
Some balance please. When the window closed and those defending the apparently underwhelming signings said we needed to give them time. Now after one game they are saying the sceptics were wrong. We all hope they are successful but need to remember they are on loan or contracts that expire at end of May so the more successful they are the less likely they will be here after that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 117
RonMariner
February 5, 2023, 12:30pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,861
Gold Stars: 230
I see that Chelsea spent £321million in the window. Kinda puts things in perspective regarding the gulf between the top clubs and clubs lower down the pyramid.  

I can’t though for the life of me understand how this is permissible. I thought there were fair play rules about how much clubs could spend? What must their income be in order to allow an outlay of a third of a billion mid season?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 117
jamesgtfc
February 5, 2023, 12:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from RonMariner
I see that Chelsea spent £321million in the window. Kinda puts things in perspective regarding the gulf between the top clubs and clubs lower down the pyramid.  

I can’t though for the life of me understand how this is permissible. I thought there were fair play rules about how much clubs could spend? What must their income be in order to allow an outlay of a third of a billion mid season?

Amortisation is how it's possible. Any transfer fee is spread across the length of the contract; which is why Mudryk got an 8 year deal. UEFA are now looking to time limit the period it's spread over due to this.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 117
grimsby pete
February 5, 2023, 12:54pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from RonMariner

Plus that was after spending approx 280 million in the summer .

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 117
RonMariner
February 7, 2023, 2:20pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,861
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from grimsby pete

Plus that was after spending approx 280 million in the summer .

Wow. £600 million in a few months.and I still wouldn’t back them to win anything this season. How crazy is that!?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 117
Marinerdan
February 7, 2023, 4:52pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +15 / -1
Approval: +957
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from RonMariner

Wow. £600 million in a few months.and I still wouldn’t back them to win anything this season. How crazy is that!?

They seem to have spent a fortune on fairly average players. 300m on Fernandez, Fofana and Mudryk seems crackers. They all have great potential but they’ve probably paid 3x too much.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 117
DB
March 2, 2023, 6:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.38
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,056
Gold Stars: 391
I think the Southampton game and result will show any prospective future players what Town are about. Hopefully, it will put the legacy of the past regime to bed.

We are no longer a yoyo club between EFL2/NL.
We are a club with ambition that is achievable.
We play good football ( most of the time ) and can match League 1 clubs, a Champion Club and now a prem team all in their own backyards.
We have a manager in Hurst who knows what to do and his standing must be on the up.
We will have a new training ground.

and finally one important point for any new player

The sight of 4,000+ Magnificent Mariners in full voice for nearly 90 minutes. 12th man, fear of God or call it what you like but they played their part. I'm not saying every week it will be like that but that is what you get from the fans when the team plays well.

So any potential signing should consider all the above and if Hurst wants you, then sign.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 117
12 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Transfer Window Reflection Thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.