Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Lincoln post losses of £2m!!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 264 Guests

Lincoln post losses of £2m!!

This thread currently has 5,447 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
nealeardleyscrossing
January 19, 2023, 11:26am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: -306
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I would be very concerned if losses were covered by funding but they were still posted as loses. “Funding” does not fix the root cause of a loss it’s just putting a plaster on it isn’t it?

I also don’t get why people would invest in a loss maker unless there is a clear plan to take them into the black which judging by the fact we’ve picked up 2 of their back room staff there appears to be.

I don't think the fact 2 of our backroom staff went to Grimsby is an issue at all - You do realise we replaced them with Kennedy's choices don't you?

I would be worried if you were pinching our best players, unfortunately that did happen, but to Rotherham, Wigan and Blackburn, and for decent cash.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 47
Zmariner
January 19, 2023, 11:29am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from HerveJosse
Issued £2.7m new shares for cash in year so losses more then covered and no debt generated.
I think when our accounts are published we will find that’s approximately £2.7m more then us.

Do you ever stop blubbering? Relative to where we were I am delighted. Hopefully a couple in before the end of Jan and sanity will prevail.utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 47
nealeardleyscrossing
January 19, 2023, 11:30am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: -306
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from IlkleyMariner

Can only see struggling times ahead for us if we were to get promoted. We maybe have to accept that we have found our true level.

I think it is possible for you - You need a bit of luck, and obviously some cash - Our model is to get younger players and sell them for a profit. We have done that to a degree, Scully, Grant, Brahmall, Toffolo, Edun and a couple of others. However, to get to the top of L! is hard when clubs buy players for 1 million plus  - we could never do that - So Mid L1 is achievable in my opinion, but Championship would be a car crash for us I think.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 47
Maringer
January 19, 2023, 11:33am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,680
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from HerveJosse

Jeff Bezos is grateful for your advice but he prefers being richest person on Earth

Hmmm. Last time I looked, Lincoln City hadn't captured pretty much the whole of the football sector, becoming a monopoly after making investment bank-funded losses for decades. I suppose there is a possibility that Lincoln City will eventually become the biggest club in the country and make vast profits following decades of losses, but it doesn't seem particularly likely to me. I think your mention of Bezos isn't particularly relevant in this context.

He also isn't the richest person on Earth. A few people ahead of him at the moment, though Musk seems to be trying his hardest to lose his fortune. Bezos is the richest person on Earth who has a spaceship vanity project whose rocket looks like a knob, however. Musk's spaceship project looks as though it is going to be seriously profitable in the longer term so I can't imagine why he's making such a fool of himself with twitter.

On a football note, I'm not entirely sure what Lincoln's business plan can be, though they've obviously been doing well on the pitch over the past few years. There can't be much leeway for getting further income given the size of the ground and the potential fanbase. I suspect that 1878's plan for a sustainable club won't involve sugar daddies endlessly bunging money into the club each season to cover the losses and it surely can't be sustainable for the Imps in the longer term.

Doesn't bode particularly well for our hopes of becoming a stable League One club, either, if the figures bandied about are to be believed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 47
Son of Cod
January 19, 2023, 12:06pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196

but Championship would be a car crash for us I think.

Unless you go up with an almost defeatist attitude. Pocket that extra Sky money knowing that you're probably gonna go straight back down. Remain frugal on your squad expenditure, hope you keep the nucleus of a promotion winning side intact and you might get lucky and get to pocket two lots of Sky money. There's always a complete mess of a club and then one or two of Barnsley, Rotherham or Peterborough going down anyway. I'd agree that the Championship becomes a car crash for smaller clubs (relative to the rest of the division), if they get ideas above their station, I think there's a sensible way of doing it that can potentially sustain the club for a few years off the back of going up there though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 47
Mariner_09
January 19, 2023, 12:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from Son of Cod

Unless you go up with an almost defeatist attitude. Pocket that extra Sky money knowing that you're probably gonna go straight back down. Remain frugal on your squad expenditure, hope you keep the nucleus of a promotion winning side intact and you might get lucky and get to pocket two lots of Sky money. There's always a complete mess of a club and then one or two of Barnsley, Rotherham or Peterborough going down anyway. I'd agree that the Championship becomes a car crash for smaller clubs (relative to the rest of the division), if they get ideas above their station, I think there's a sensible way of doing it that can potentially sustain the club for a few years off the back of going up there though.

What I would give for 2-3 seasons in the Championship, just so I could knock off so many more grounds and beat every single person I know hands down on the most grounds visited.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 47
HertsGTFC
January 19, 2023, 12:36pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from HerveJosse

I think a red cross would have been more subtle

Fair point!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 47
toontown
January 19, 2023, 12:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Son of Cod

Yeah I've thought this before but about the prem, if we ever happened to get there just half of 1 years money would pay for an entirely new ground. It's about 80 million from the tv deal alone.

Given that that is highly unrealistic for us to ever get there though I wonder what 1 year in the championship is worth? Just looked and it says tv deal is 2.5 million per club, doesn't really compare does it. Might get a couple of corners filled in or something if you just banked the lot.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 47
MarinerDevil
January 19, 2023, 3:48pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,811
Gold Stars: 80
Just to show how mental the Championship is, Preston's accounts were posted today:

• £20m gross loss for the year
  • £16.8m post-tax loss
  • Accumulated losses of £69m, funded by owners
  • £86m debt, mostly interest-free directors loans
  • Wages £178 for every £100 of income

https://twitter.com/KieranMaguire/status/1616089391109402627?t=davyNSws3fMezpRCqnT84g&s=19
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 47
Les Brechin
January 19, 2023, 3:53pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,726
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from MarinerDevil
Just to show how mental the Championship is, Preston's accounts were posted today:

• £20m gross loss for the year
  • £16.8m post-tax loss
  • Accumulated losses of £69m, funded by owners
  • £86m debt, mostly interest-free directors loans
  • Wages £178 for every £100 of income

https://twitter.com/KieranMaguire/status/1616089391109402627?t=davyNSws3fMezpRCqnT84g&s=19

And they're not even what you'd call a BIG club!

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Lincoln post losses of £2m!!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.