lew chaterleys lover
January 15, 2023, 7:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,792
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from ginnywings
I think it is clear that we are not going to be outbidding other teams in terms of fees and wages, so coupled with our location, it's going to be tough to convince players to choose us over others who have more to offer young players.

We can say until we are blue in the face that all it takes is money, but the board have told us they are not going to do that, so we are shopping in a limited market.

It's a question of sustainability versus quick results and it seems the board prefer the first option and want to play the long game. We either support them or we don't, but constantly going round in circles arguing about it isn't going to change anything.

I think the owners need to wake up then sharpish.

Fans aren't going to keep buying season tickets on the assumption we are shopping in a limited market.

A club of our size should be making a fist of it in league 2 - indeed they said we would not be making the numbers up.

Steady progression is great, but they also have to be realistic about the costs of getting better players in.
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 113
chaos33
January 15, 2023, 7:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,000
Gold Stars: 362

Somebody will come along in a minute putting you right. Carlisle will be perfect for league 2 players everywhere from Lands end to John o groats. Why, they would even go there if our terms were better than theirs. There might even be a higher ethnic population to encourage black players lol

What on earth are you talking about?!?!?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 113
psgmariner
January 15, 2023, 7:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from chaos33

I assume it relating to the odd ball comment about black players earlier in the thread.

Private Message
Reply: 92 - 113
lew chaterleys lover
January 15, 2023, 7:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,792
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from chaos33

I'm mocking Knuts post intimating that players won't come to Grimsby,  especially black ones because we are not ethnically diverse enough.

Private Message
Reply: 93 - 113
ginnywings
January 15, 2023, 7:37pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Phil the cod

Why can't we offer better wages, we are getting 3 x the fans than some of these "massive" clubs like Salford.
We won't spend it, not can't spend it.
The fans really do need to wake up and smell the coffee, we are being taken for a ride.

Exactly. They won't spend money that will put the club in financial peril.

That way lies Scunny, or even worse, Bury.

I'm sure the Bury fans loved it when they were bringing in players they couldn't really afford and ripping up the league, but I bet they wish they still had a league club more.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 113
ginnywings
January 15, 2023, 7:48pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548

I think the owners need to wake up then sharpish.

Fans aren't going to keep buying season tickets on the assumption we are shopping in a limited market.

A club of our size should be making a fist of it in league 2 - indeed they said we would not be making the numbers up.

Steady progression is great, but they also have to be realistic about the costs of getting better players in.

They don't "have to" or "need to" do anything just because some fans think they should.

My point is that whether you, me or anybody else thinks that they should be doing xyz is irrelevant. They have a long term plan and rightly or wrongly they are going to stick to it.

You and others keep saying that players will come if they chuck money at it, but they have said they won't do that in preference of long term sustainability and we either support their vision or we don't. We don't have a say in it, just like we didn't when JF was head honcho. They fund the club and they decide how to run it.

If fans say they will stop attending if they don't splash the cash, then that's their prerogative.

Constantly arguing about budgets and player acquisition is fruitless.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 113
HerveJosse
January 15, 2023, 8:01pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,211
Gold Stars: 145

Of course we have. Nobody is disputing that.

But we will rarely be a player’s first choice. The more desirable players will have other options which is why recruitment is so difficult for us. It gets harder every year.

Grimsby and Lincs have a lot of positives but very little for the average twenty-something footballer.

Likewise, you could offer to treble my salary and I still wouldn’t move back to the east coast because, in terms of what I spend my income on (food, travel, culture), there is very little for me over there.

You could spend more on travel if you moved to the East coast
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 113
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 15, 2023, 8:01pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,775
Gold Stars: 82
Someone quoted earlier in this or another thread that Hurst has signed, since his return, 50 players so any argument that players won’t come here is pretty much blown out of the water by those numbers. What we are not attracting are players of the required standard and quality hopefully that will be corrected in the next two weeks.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 113
DB
January 15, 2023, 9:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,055
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from ginnywings

They don't "have to" or "need to" do anything just because some fans think they should.

My point is that whether you, me or anybody else thinks that they should be doing xyz is irrelevant. They have a long term plan and rightly or wrongly they are going to stick to it.

You and others keep saying that players will come if they chuck money at it, but they have said they won't do that in preference of long term sustainability and we either support their vision or we don't. We don't have a say in it, just like we didn't when JF was head honcho. They fund the club and they decide how to run it.

If fans say they will stop attending if they don't splash the cash, then that's their prerogative.

Constantly arguing about budgets and player acquisition is fruitless.

You summed up our position perfectly, as highlighted.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 113
rancido
January 15, 2023, 10:26pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,661
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from DB

You summed up our position perfectly, as highlighted.

Doesn't that position apply to virtually every league club? The difference between the fans view and the owners vision applies to any club.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 113
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst's post-match interview

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.