12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
January 15, 2023, 6:58pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 556

Yes till next time. I have explained to you countless times that GTFC signs players from all over the country, and always have done, and always will. Funnily enough, we have signed players of all ethnicities as well.

Of course we have. Nobody is disputing that.

But we will rarely be a player’s first choice. The more desirable players will have other options which is why recruitment is so difficult for us. It gets harder every year.

Grimsby and Lincs have a lot of positives but very little for the average twenty-something footballer.

Likewise, you could offer to treble my salary and I still wouldn’t move back to the east coast because, in terms of what I spend my income on (food, travel, culture), there is very little for me over there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 113
psgmariner
January 15, 2023, 7:01pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33

Of course we have. Nobody is disputing that.

But we will rarely be a player’s first choice. The more desirable players will have other options which is why recruitment is so difficult for us. It gets harder every year.

Grimsby and Lincs have a lot of positives but very little for the average twenty-something footballer.

Likewise, you could offer to treble my salary and I still wouldn’t move back to the east coast because, in terms of what I spend my income on (food, travel, culture), there is very little for me over there.

Don’t know where you live but if someone offered to treble your salary and move to Leeds or Sheffield I’m sure you would be tempted. You don’t have to live in Grimsby (or louth!) to play for Grimsby. I doubt more than a few of our first 11 do.

Private Message
Reply: 81 - 113
January 15, 2023, 7:05pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from psgmariner

Don’t know where you live but if someone offered to treble your salary and move to Leeds or Sheffield I’m sure you would be tempted. You don’t have to live in Grimsby (or louth!) to play for Grimsby. I doubt more than a few of our first 11 do.

You can’t commute from Leeds to Grimsby.

Sheffield is pushing it but I know some of our players / management do it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 113
lew chaterleys lover
January 15, 2023, 7:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,789
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Phil the cod

I don't think your average 25  year old footballer is interested in nature and the rural environment tbf.
But your point about players going to remote clubs is valid, look how good a side Carlisle have, for example.
And that place really is remote, so the who would come to Grimsby argument is bullshit.

Somebody will come along in a minute putting you right. Carlisle will be perfect for league 2 players everywhere from Lands end to John o groats. Why, they would even go there if our terms were better than theirs. There might even be a higher ethnic population to encourage black players lol
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 113
psgmariner
January 15, 2023, 7:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33

You can’t commute from Leeds to Grimsby.

Sheffield is pushing it but I know some of our players / management do it.

Course you can! I did it (the other way round) admittedly only 2 days a week. 1.5 hours is f all is the money is good. Footballers in the depths of the football league don’t sign long deals so loads of them travel. Paul Hurst commuted to Shrewsbury from Rotherham ffs.

Private Message
Reply: 84 - 113
Rodley Mariner
January 15, 2023, 7:09pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 180
Money will be a massive factor but they'll be like any other person and it will be a mix of things. Will be different for different players as well. Chances to progress and improve, whether they're a good employer, what the set up is like, do you trust/like the new boss will all play a part alongside geography and money like I assume they would for most of us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 113
jamesgtfc
January 15, 2023, 7:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,053
Gold Stars: 190
Location is very valid when you consider that a footballer reaches their prime at around 28 years old. Barrow is remote but they train in Manchester. If you were 18-28, single and had no kids, I think you would choose living and training in and around Manchester over Grimsby unless our wage offer was significantly higher.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 113
ginnywings
January 15, 2023, 7:17pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
I think it is clear that we are not going to be outbidding other teams in terms of fees and wages, so coupled with our location, it's going to be tough to convince players to choose us over others who have more to offer young players.

We can say until we are blue in the face that all it takes is money, but the board have told us they are not going to do that, so we are shopping in a limited market.

It's a question of sustainability versus quick results and it seems the board prefer the first option and want to play the long game. We either support them or we don't, but constantly going round in circles arguing about it isn't going to change anything.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 113
Phil the cod
January 15, 2023, 7:22pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +5 / -5
Approval: -332
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from ginnywings
I think it is clear that we are not going to be outbidding other teams in terms of fees and wages, so coupled with our location, it's going to be tough to convince players to choose us over others who have more to offer young players.

We can say until we are blue in the face that all it takes is money, but the board have told us they are not going to do that, so we are shopping in a limited market.

It's a question of sustainability versus quick results and it seems the board prefer the first option and want to play the long game. We either support them or we don't, but constantly going round in circles arguing about it isn't going to change anything.

Why can't we offer better wages, we are getting 3 x the fans than some of these "massive" clubs like Salford.
We won't spend it, not can't spend it.
The fans really do need to wake up and smell the coffee, we are being taken for a ride.
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 113
January 15, 2023, 7:24pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Phil the cod

Why can't we offer better wages, we are getting 3 x the fans than some of these "massive" clubs like Salford.
We won't spend it, not can't spend it.
The fans really do need to wake up and smell the coffee, we are being taken for a ride.

Salford are owned by a billionaire!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 113
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst's post-match interview

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.