11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Poojah
January 2, 2023, 8:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,878
Gold Stars: 1,523
It’s probably worth reflecting that, following last new year, we would go on to sign the likes of Amos, Abrahams, Dieseruvwe, Holohan and Cropper, to name just five, that would make such significant contributions to our season. Christ, it’s easy to forget now that Holohan and Cropper didn’t even sign until late March.

It’s worth remembering that most if not all of those signings ranged anywhere from “ok” to “slightly underwhelming” in the opinions of most on here and yet they would all go on to play a major part in the most incredible end to a season in this club’s history. In the case of Mani, there can’t be many players (or even any) who have made a more significant impact with fewer minutes in a Town shirt.

This time last year was strange. It had all gone to shít for no obvious reason. It was going wrong alright, but it wasn’t quite clear where. This season our deficiencies are clearer; we simply don’t have a presence up front without the ageing Taylor.

However, all I’d say is this. We may may or may not get that elusive marquee target man that is understandably sought after. If the last three transfer windows are anything to go by, “not” seems more likely. But that doesn’t mean we won’t sign someone in that position, or elsewhere, that won’t go on to make a significant contribution.

Who’d have thought a year ago that, come the end of the season, an Irish midfielder no longer wanted by Hartlepool, a serially unprolific journeyman striker from Tranmere and our second-choice right back (none of whom were even with us until February) would go down in GTFC folklore?

Not all heroes wear number 9 shirts.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 104
Teds Lad
January 2, 2023, 8:53pm

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: +61
anyone  watched Maidstone v Dagenham & R this afternoon  -  the Dagenham striker Wilson scored an  excellent headed goal with an ability to recognise the benefit of moving into space and anticipating the cross. Well worth a look at and has pace to burn,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 104
Teds Lad
January 2, 2023, 8:56pm

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: +61
Sorryn Josh Walker, not Wilson.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 104
MuddyWaters
January 2, 2023, 8:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Teds Lad
Sorryn Josh Walker, not Wilson.

Played all his football in the London area. Given how his team mate (Longe King) didn’t settle round here, I’d be surprised if he ended up with us.
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 104
chaos33
January 2, 2023, 9:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,001
Gold Stars: 362
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Ivan Toney, Mitrovic...I'm sure people can keep adding to the list, Man City went for Haaland for that exact reason, they knew the missing piece to their jigsaw was a big, physical striker and look how imperious they are now. They are a dying breed, they command top dollar and down out our level they are even rarer.

Yes, you’re illustrating my point. Those two are good examples. They’re rare and dwindling and they’d cost a shedload. So that’s about half a dozen examples in the top league of 20 teams. Drop down into the championship - any examples of prolific strikers there…? A few. Everyone wants one. L1?  See what I’m saying?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 104
aldi_01
January 3, 2023, 6:56am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I wonder if this obsession with having a ‘number 9’, whatever that really is is just a town fan thing. Of course we’d prefer someone up top that scores goals but then so would everyone. Given the current economic crisis and money scattered around football these days it makes it harder.

Plenty of goal scorers in the conference but unlikely many would make the step up, purely for personal reasons.

In my lifetime supporting town I remember less than 5, what I would call prolific strikers. I do remember though, in our most successful seasons, having goals coming from all over the park.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 104
DB
January 3, 2023, 7:23am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.38
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,056
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from aldi_01
I wonder if this obsession with having a ‘number 9’, whatever that really is is just a town fan thing. Of course we’d prefer someone up top that scores goals but then so would everyone. Given the current economic crisis and money scattered around football these days it makes it harder.

Plenty of goal scorers in the conference but unlikely many would make the step up, purely for personal reasons.

In my lifetime supporting town I remember less than 5, what I would call prolific strikers. I do remember though, in our most successful seasons, having goals coming from all over the park.

I seem to recall at the start of last season we had exactly this. 8 or 9 different goal scores and the question on here then was 'do we need a number 9'. Over the decades we have had excellent number 9's and I can start with watching Ron Rafferty. The modern game and tactics have moved on and whist a recognised number 9 would be brilliant, which I am a supporter of, we have to realise this is mainly a position of the past.

As pointed out on here many number 9's now track back and do defensive duties, rather than just a striker role. The modern game is progressing and as the saying goes you have to move with the times.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 104
Simon
January 3, 2023, 8:00am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Approval: +234
Gold Stars: 33
Could really do with unearthing the next Super Clive, he could score goals in his sleep

All Town aren't we ..... UTM  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 104
aldi_01
January 3, 2023, 8:00am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from DB

I seem to recall at the start of last season we had exactly this. 8 or 9 different goal scores and the question on here then was 'do we need a number 9'. Over the decades we have had excellent number 9's and I can start with watching Ron Rafferty. The modern game and tactics have moved on and whist a recognised number 9 would be brilliant, which I am a supporter of, we have to realise this is mainly a position of the past.

As pointed out on here many number 9's now track back and do defensive duties, rather than just a striker role. The modern game is progressing and as the saying goes you have to move with the times.

Let’s face it, as Poojah points out, we made signings in those positions last year and people barely made a murmer yet those players went on to significantly impact our season for the best.

We’re never happy on here, we’d sign Messi and someone would say he’s all left foot or too small.

As you say, the game has moved on…look at arsenal, I’d argue their biggest threat comes from someone who is essentially a wide man, if we signed someone like that people would still want a ‘target man’. A phrase which makes me shudder because all they happens with one of them at this level is teams lumping long to them rather than trying to play.

Interesting though that with the exception of the lad from Harrogate, we genuinely do quite well at nullifying the exact player people are clamouring for.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 104
Maringer
January 3, 2023, 8:34am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,680
Gold Stars: 189
It's about mobility, I think. No doubt that a bigger guy up front gives a different option, especially at this level where defenders often get away with murder pushing and manhandling players. Not to mention that most teams at this level can't pass the ball particularly well so whacking in the general direction of a striker is often the best out ball. However, the days of the big, immobile lump standing there have mostly passed (with one or two exceptions).

Assuming we sign a back up/replacement for Taylor, my guess is he would most likely to be more of a LJL-type striker who relies on size and mobility. There don't seem to be many around like Taylor who rely more on nouse, positioning and their touch rather than running around a lot. I'd be happy with either type just to offer something different so we'll have to see what we (hopefully!) get.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 104
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › When will the first be signed

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.