January 2, 2023, 7:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from It Bites

Haaland , Kane  Salah ... I can go on if you like

With the exception of Haaland, the other two don’t just hang around up top…Kane drops in to his own half regularly to try and inject some pace in to a move…Mane, Messi, Ronaldo, Bogle, Hearn, Saka, and then list goes on…all strikers who score 15+ but don’t just goal poach…the games moved on, nobodies denying we couldn’t do with a more effective front man but it’s not the be all and end all…9 goals in the playoffs…2 ‘strikers’ scored 3 goals…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 104
It Bites
January 2, 2023, 7:39pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,215
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from chaos33

Yes, go on. Name more. What you’re doing is illustrating the point. There aren’t that many. There are 20 prem clubs and nigh on 60 other clubs above us in the pecking order. Do share all those line leading, big unit 20 goal a season strikers that exist.

He said Top teams and neither of us mentioned a big unit . Toney
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 104
ginnywings
January 2, 2023, 7:52pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from pontoonlew

I don’t know how loudly I need to shout this, but nobody is asking for a 20 goal striker. That’d be nice, but I’d snap your hand off for 12

Shout as long and loud as you like, it won't speed things along.

We'll get someone in eventually.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 104
pontoonlew
January 2, 2023, 8:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
Quoted from ginnywings

Shout as long and loud as you like, it won't speed things along.

We'll get someone in eventually.

I’m sure we will, I hope it’ll be this window, but if we don’t, how many more windows do we keep churning out the ‘eventually’ card? Genuine question, because 2 years is ample time for me.

Seems strange to say ‘speed things along’ as it’s somehow impatient to want a striker after 2 years of looking
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 104
jamesgtfc
January 2, 2023, 8:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Someone posted something earlier and it got me thinking. Would it be wise to get that star striker in now on a 2.5 year deal, only for someone to buy him in the summer, putting us back at square one and having to wait another 4 windows for a striker?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 104
ginnywings
January 2, 2023, 8:36pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from pontoonlew

I’m sure we will, I hope it’ll be this window, but if we don’t, how many more windows do we keep churning out the ‘eventually’ card? Genuine question, because 2 years is ample time for me.

Seems strange to say ‘speed things along’ as it’s somehow impatient to want a striker after 2 years of looking

But that would suggest we haven't had a striker for 2 years, which isn't the case.

Taylor and McAtee got us promoted last season if I'm not mistaken.    

What you are basically saying is that we haven't signed a striker that you deem worthy of the name.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 104
monkeyboy
January 2, 2023, 8:39pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
We get balls on behind plenty, we need a poacher .
Taylor isn’t a poacher at all. Yes he holds the ball up and gets headers to no one as he’s isolated most of the time.

I’m not a fan but he would be a good foil for another speedy striker running off him bits that not what hurst does.
We need a bit of speed up top with someone that gets into scoring positions.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 104
Northbank Mariner
January 2, 2023, 8:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,533
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from chaos33

Yes, go on. Name more. What you’re doing is illustrating the point. There aren’t that many. There are 20 prem clubs and nigh on 60 other clubs above us in the pecking order. Do share all those line leading, big unit 20 goal a season strikers that exist.

Ivan Toney, Mitrovic...I'm sure people can keep adding to the list, Man City went for Haaland for that exact reason, they knew the missing piece to their jigsaw was a big, physical striker and look how imperious they are now. They are a dying breed, they command top dollar and down out our level they are even rarer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 104
MuddyWaters
January 2, 2023, 8:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from monkeyboy
Taylor isn’t a poacher at all. Yes he holds the ball up and gets headers to no one as he’s isolated most of the time.

I’m not a fan but he would be a good foil for another speedy striker running off him bits that not what hurst does.

I suspect Paul Hurst won’t mind.
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 104
ginnywings
January 2, 2023, 8:44pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from monkeyboy

Like McAtee for instance?

We have had our bad spells when either one of them has been unavailable.

McAtee last season and Taylor this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 104
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › When will the first be signed

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.