11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Simon
January 1, 2023, 1:10pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Approval: +234
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Chrisblor
Hurst was asked in a recent Radio Humberside interview about having any signings lined up and he said that supporters would be disappointed if they were expecting anyone to come in as soon as the window opened. Considering it's been obvious for so long that we need a striker i'm a bit annoyed we haven't managed to use our 'competitive' budget to line anyone up over the past few months for a Jan 1st signing like some of our rivals have been able to.

Exactly that!!!

All Town aren't we ..... UTM  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 104
pontoonlew
January 1, 2023, 1:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
We’ve got better at getting them earlier but we’re still historically very slow to move, especially in Jan.

The faint hope of staying up we had last time was extinguished by the fact we made shite signings right at the end of Jan, by that point we’d been beaten by everyone around us in a short period of time.

Hopefully we can bring some exciting names in but our recent form may put a few off. A striker is absolutely imperative and Hurst/The Club will absolutely deserve any stick they get if they don’t deliver on that this time round IMO.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 104
HertsGTFC
January 1, 2023, 1:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Simon

Let's not kid ourselves about last season, we were average at best finishing 6th but somehow we pulled off the impossible and got promoted via the playoffs, an amazing achievement but those three games were last season and to date we have not come anywhere near that level of performance

Now on to this season, at the start we had on paper a very strong squad & for the first time in a long time strength in depth. I along with many others (6000) were very optimistic for the season ahead but we soon found out that life in L2 wasn't going to be as easy as we thought, worryingly with the squad available i think Hurst couldn't work out the best system/lineup and we still look out of sorts, lets hope today we all get behind the team and they respond on the pitch with a win but we never do well in front of a full house so it could be a long afternoon

Where a small club located in a remote sh1t hole of a place, we pay ok but not the best but of course the likes of you will be expecting AP & JS to pay for a top class striker out of their current accounts while you head for your seat at 2:59 and then back to the bar after 40 minutes This bit has annoyed me as you know nothing about me, i have supported Town since the mid 70's, a season ticket holder, sponsor, shareholder do i need to go on? I don't expect JS & AP to bankroll anything, far from it and i love the way they are turning the club round, what i am frustrated with is PH and his style of football

So as an invested stake holder like myself why do you insinuate that only the 2nd manager in post war history to win 2 promotions with the club is incompetent?

Like myself you’ve clearly been going since the mid 70’s so will know the peaks and troughs and in terms of managers what good looks like. Just because you don’t like the way a manager operates doesn’t mean to say it’s wrong.

Some context since the mid 70’s - Lyon’s, Roberts, Law, Roger, Newell, Slade (V2) Bignot & Jolley all pretty ropey.

Lawrence good when he could pay big money, Laws good but a bit unhinged.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 104
aldi_01
January 1, 2023, 1:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from pontoonlew
We’ve got better at getting them earlier but we’re still historically very slow to move, especially in Jan.

The faint hope of staying up we had last time was extinguished by the fact we made shite signings right at the end of Jan, by that point we’d been beaten by everyone around us in a short period of time.

Hopefully we can bring some exciting names in but our recent form may put a few off. A striker is absolutely imperative and Hurst/The Club will absolutely deserve any stick they get if they don’t deliver on that this time round IMO.

It really wouldn’t have mattered who we signed that January, we were already down well before Christmas. We deserved to go down and it actually was a blessing in disguise.

People are wanting something that isn’t really available, any striker currently scoring goals regularly isn’t gonna be released by their club. With that in mind, whoever we sign, people will moan, simple as that…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 104
pontoonlew
January 1, 2023, 1:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

It really wouldn’t have mattered who we signed that January, we were already down well before Christmas. We deserved to go down and it actually was a blessing in disguise.

People are wanting something that isn’t really available, any striker currently scoring goals regularly isn’t gonna be released by their club. With that in mind, whoever we sign, people will moan, simple as that…

I’ll moan if anybody else uses that old washed up excuse that you’ve just used. This narrative that we couldn’t possibly get a striker who can score goals is absolutely nonsense and it gets churned out on here window after window, whilst other clubs in our division (a lot with smaller budgets) manage to achieve it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 104
TwoLeftFeet
January 1, 2023, 1:35pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,102
Gold Stars: 19
The proper transfer business needs doing in the summer when players are out of contract etc.. hoping to get quality players in Jan sounds like wishful thinking and panic buying because the summer window hasn't worked..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 104
Simon
January 1, 2023, 1:44pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Approval: +234
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from HertsGTFC

So as an invested stake holder like myself why do you insinuate that only the 2nd manager in post war history to win 2 promotions with the club is incompetent?

Like myself you’ve clearly been going since the mid 70’s so will know the peaks and troughs and in terms of managers what good looks like. Just because you don’t like the way a manager operates doesn’t mean to say it’s wrong.

Some context since the mid 70’s - Lyon’s, Roberts, Law, Roger, Newell, Slade (V2) Bignot & Jolley all pretty ropey.

Lawrence good when he could pay big money, Laws good but a bit unhinged.  

The good thing about football is we are all entitled to our opinion be it good or bad, i have never liked Hursts style of play but that is just my opinion

Facts are facts, he has got us two promotions and i applaud him for that achievement especially the last promotion because it was my worry we would be down there a while just like last time

But those three games aside we are very poor and very easy to beat, take the game against Salford a sloppy goal in the first minute, that happens and we rallied and upped our work rate to really get at them and get the equaliser but then we just switched off, almost like we were happy with a point as early in the game as that which invited pressure on us when at home we should have been taking it to them

Youth, Hurst doesn't give the youngsters a chance. I was fooled by Holloway and the reason why he was here but what did he see in some of the youngsters that Hurst doesn't, Ben Grist a fine example, Louis Boyd another, gets his debut under Hollowhead then nothing not seen for 18 months, something Dave Moore touched on in his interview in his day we had seven local lads playing, we are never going to attract the top players here but why can't we produce our own just got to believe in them and give them a run in the team. In our current squad Hunt, Richardson, Tomlinson, Essel etc give them a go

All Town aren't we ..... UTM  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 104
HertsGTFC
January 1, 2023, 1:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from pontoonlew

I’ll moan if anybody else uses that old washed up excuse that you’ve just used. This narrative that we couldn’t possibly get a striker who can score goals is absolutely nonsense and it gets churned out on here window after window, whilst other clubs in our division (a lot with smaller budgets) manage to achieve it.

Serious question, how do you know other club’s budgets is it on a site like opta etc.. somewhere?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 104
pontoonlew
January 1, 2023, 1:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Serious question, how do you know other club’s budgets is it on a site like opta etc.. somewhere?

I think based on players sides sign, you can have a relatively good stab at which teams are spending more than others.

I spent my Boxing Day watching us play against a side that certainly have a lower budget than us, with a striker who was much better than any of our own. I must’ve been still drunk though, because I’m led to believe players like this cannot possibly exist.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 104
HertsGTFC
January 1, 2023, 2:01pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Simon

The good thing about football is we are all entitled to our opinion be it good or bad, i have never liked Hursts style of play but that is just my opinion

Facts are facts, he has got us two promotions and i applaud him for that achievement especially the last promotion because it was my worry we would be down there a while just like last time

But those three games aside we are very poor and very easy to beat, take the game against Salford a sloppy goal in the first minute, that happens and we rallied and upped our work rate to really get at them and get the equaliser but then we just switched off, almost like we were happy with a point as early in the game as that which invited pressure on us when at home we should have been taking it to them

Youth, Hurst doesn't give the youngsters a chance. I was fooled by Holloway and the reason why he was here but what did he see in some of the youngsters that Hurst doesn't, Ben Grist a fine example, Louis Boyd another, gets his debut under Hollowhead then nothing not seen for 18 months, something Dave Moore touched on in his interview in his day we had seven local lads playing, we are never going to attract the top players here but why can't we produce our own just got to believe in them and give them a run in the team. In our current squad Hunt, Richardson, Tomlinson, Essel etc give them a go

Yeah possibly but not all the lads who have been under Woodsy are actually local, many of them aren’t. I think the generation that came through in the mid late 70s was once in a lifetime, it would be nice to think it would happen again but the reality is it’s unlikely at this club as it is at many others too. Also the model is different now as clubs develop to sell on as much as they do to breed long term servants.

In terms of Hursts football I’m not sure it’s been any better in between his 2 spells and I’m not convinced it’s as negative as people make out, look at the periods under Jolley & Slade V2 we where sh1te.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 104
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › When will the first be signed

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.