December 30, 2022, 11:21am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,056
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from smokey111

Dangerous precedence.

But if you buy anything that is not up to scratch you get a refund or replacement. Surely the same principle applies.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 58
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
December 30, 2022, 11:26am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 556
The Manager’s view on booing the players after a first half shellacking:

‘As these notes were written between training sessions, after our heavy defeat [in our last match], obviously it is not one of the better times to be writing them.

I suffered a lot of personal embarrassment while watching last [night’s] game, there are a lot of good things about the club; the facilities, the excellent playing surface provided to us, people who run various match day functions, and not least, the people at boardroom level who desperately want (as we all do) to be successful.

To concede three quick goals at home in the first half is little short of disgraceful and while not taking anything away from a very confident and talented opponent, our defending left a lot to be desired.

Various pre-match planning and systems of play count for nothing in football if players make very basic mistakes for whatever reason.

We are at the moment very inconsistent in a lot of our play.

The feed-back I get from people is very good, and bodes well for the future, you supporters kept off our “backs” on Saturday - in spite of the result - which in my opinion was worse than than the performance, was commendable.

As I have said before, the secret of success is hard work - that being the case we will be alright’.

Sir Alan Buckley - 19.04.88

After last night’s first half spanking, Alan Buckley’s programme notes ( 24.09.88 )show that performances like that (and poor runs like the current one) happen to the best of them…
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 58
Zmariner
December 30, 2022, 11:34am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
A few boos were well earned last night.
I am pro Hurst and he will sort this but we have not really got to grips with L2, a few lucky away wins and diabolical at home.
We have a lot of players who are lower L2 /national league level. I see no lack of effort just skill levels. Another 6/7 wins should keep us up and I think that we will get them. I still fancy us more away. We lack pace through the team and I would like to have another centre half ( not a loan). The full backs are also bang average. Midfield is OK but we need a winger with pace and two average hold up the ball forwards who can win a header.
Starting with no forward and having completely inexperienced lads to bring on is a disgrace at this level.
For me we need about 5 new players which is a lot for Jan. There are several players that need resting/dropping but we have so few choices. Also Taylor has been badly missed.
Not downbeat yet and would take a point versus Stockport and that will be hard
UTM
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 58
chaos33
December 30, 2022, 11:34am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,001
Gold Stars: 362
Key points in there are, I think, the remarks that all the training, planning, briefing, preparations etc count for nothing if the players make basic mistakes. This is the present reality. Too many players making poor decisions, ‘switching off’ at key moments, making technique errors etc, and what then happens is….confidence drops and a losing mentality can pervade. I think this is where we are generally - several players not at the required standard in their form, together with us being short of a player or two (although every club will say that). Add into that - unforced errors like ‘slips’ which are leading to goals conceded: take Crocombe’s slip at Harrogate or Khan’s last night. Don’t know if it’s credible to attach blame to the ‘wrong boots’ though.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 58
MuddyWaters
December 30, 2022, 8:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Booing happens, West Ham fans have just booed their team off two nil down at home to Brentford. You’re never going to stop people having an opinion, much like the rant about fans on Twitter. Same with what the chairman said about social media last night.

Thankfully, he knows a bit more about how to handle himself on social media than his predecessor.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 58
HerveJosse
December 30, 2022, 9:12pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,204
Gold Stars: 144
The Manager’s view on booing the players after a first half shellacking:

‘As these notes were written between training sessions, after our heavy defeat [in our last match], obviously it is not one of the better times to be writing them.

I suffered a lot of personal embarrassment while watching last [night’s] game, there are a lot of good things about the club; the facilities, the excellent playing surface provided to us, people who run various match day functions, and not least, the people at boardroom level who desperately want (as we all do) to be successful.

To concede three quick goals at home in the first half is little short of disgraceful and while not taking anything away from a very confident and talented opponent, our defending left a lot to be desired.

Various pre-match planning and systems of play count for nothing in football if players make very basic mistakes for whatever reason.

We are at the moment very inconsistent in a lot of our play.

The feed-back I get from people is very good, and bodes well for the future, you supporters kept off our “backs” on Saturday - in spite of the result - which in my opinion was worse than than the performance, was commendable.

As I have said before, the secret of success is hard work - that being the case we will be alright’.

Sir Alan Buckley - 19.04.88

After last night’s first half spanking, Alan Buckley’s programme notes ( 24.09.88 )show that performances like that (and poor runs like the current one) happen to the best of them…

That was his 4th League game in charge and he was about to bring in players of the quality of Gilbert , Childs , Rees etc so a rather different context I would suggest.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 58
Phil the cod
December 30, 2022, 9:39pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +5 / -5
Approval: -332
Gold Stars: 61
At least the sausage rolls are gourmet standard.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 58
grimsby pete
December 30, 2022, 10:01pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
I have supported Town for nearly 68 years and have never bood our players once.

I do not see what benefit it would achieve , our players are human and make mistakes the same goes to all players from all teams.

I have watched town play rubbish on many occasions and I have seen them play good football scoring plenty of goals.

We go up we go down on regular occasions and sometimes we just stay put for a while.

I have seen us lose when we should have won and win when we should have lost on many occasions .

At the end of the day they are our team and we should be proud of them because on our day I have seen us beat Liverpool. Man City. Chelsea. Everton . Spurs and many other so called big teams.

So when we play badly and lose a few games I think it will change soon and we will soon be back on a winning run.

New year new start ?  

Keep the faith .

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 58
HertsGTFC
December 30, 2022, 10:07pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
You buy a ticket you can express yourself how you want as long as it’s legal and non discriminatory not sure booing falls into those categories. I don’t boo what we do badly but understand why others do, their choice.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 58
aldi_01
December 31, 2022, 7:45am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I think booing, especially during the match is a very English thing,

Has it ever worked? Unlikely, will people claim it’s their right to do it? Absolutely…

Seen games abroad when teams are significantly worse than we were on Thursday, fans didn’t boo during the game, they encouraged, they supported their team. Once the final whistle went, then they let their feelings known.

As we saw last season during our poor spell, we’re seeing it again, giant man babies seeing their bottom and shouting their mouths off. They have little to say that’s of any interest but they argue it’s their right. Perhaps it is but those few that seemingly can’t wait for a bad run because they don’t like Hurst are genuinely pathetic…

Saw the argument of ‘sack him’ and then when someone questioned them about replacement, their repo and ‘that’s above my pay grade…’…very flipping weird….

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 58
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Booing

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.