toontown
November 20, 2022, 10:36am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Hagrid

Efete did it yesterday with a lovely ball into the box. We only had Khan in there. He isnt going to cross the ball when we have intercourse all in there.

Not a chance harry is quicker with the ball either

Have to agree to disagree on this one. Efete without the ball = quick. With the ball with no opposition on front of him = nothing special as his control isnt great. With the ball and oppo  player near him = poor as he's too worried about losing it due to lack of control. Hence he can never beat a man.

Clifton and most  pro footballers don't have the same drop off in pace with the ball as efete seems to.

Efete is the least willing crosser of a ball I have ever seen, its obviously a weakness.

I do agree that clifton might be better used in another position but we would still get 3 in midfield with a 352, as well as 2 up front. so I think it might help resolve our offensive difficulties whilst minimising the loss of efete defensively by having the 3rd CB in there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 97
pontoonlew
November 20, 2022, 10:37am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
Anyone at Salford would say Clifton is potentially our best RWB based on that performance, for me it’s his best position but it doesn’t seem like PH agrees.

Efete is fine defensively, but he’s been either ‘solid’ or urine poor for pretty much every game this season and rarely ever anything else. I hear all this about how he’s great at bombing past defenders but I’ve seen him do it 1-2 times this season, as somebody rightfully said, the rest of the time he just hesitantly stands there not quite knowing what to do with it.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 97
toontown
November 20, 2022, 10:44am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from toontown

Have to agree to disagree on this one. Efete without the ball = quick. With the ball with no opposition on front of him = nothing special as his control isnt great. With the ball and oppo  player near him = poor as he's too worried about losing it due to lack of control. Hence he can never beat a man.

Clifton and most  pro footballers don't have the same drop off in pace with the ball as efete seems to.

Efete is the least willing crosser of a ball I have ever seen, its obviously a weakness.

I do agree that clifton might be better used in another position but we would still get 3 in midfield with a 352, as well as 2 up front. so I think it might help resolve our offensive difficulties whilst minimising the loss of efete defensively by having the 3rd CB in there.

Just to clarify: efete is the least willing crosser of a ball I have ever seen, when there is an opposition player in  front of him. He's fine when just playing it parallel to the goal line like against Plymouth. The trouble is as a full back 90% of crossing opportunities there are defenders there. Its the bread and butter
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 97
HertsGTFC
November 20, 2022, 11:09am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Hagrid

Efete did it yesterday with a lovely ball into the box. We only had Khan in there. He isnt going to cross the ball when we have intercourse all in there.

Not a chance harry is quicker with the ball either

His cross for Kiernan’s 2nd against Plymouth was excellent. It’s very hard to cross to players when you haven’t got a few in visible space.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 97
MuddyWaters
November 20, 2022, 11:29am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from HertsGTFC

His cross for Kiernan’s 2nd against Plymouth was excellent. It’s very hard to cross to players when you haven’t got a few in visible space.

It was. So why does he hesitate and cut back so often? PH spent a lot of his pre match interview talking about Stevenage crossing and I accept we don’t overload the box but there’s always the chance we can pick up the second ball even if the cross is defended.

Let’s be honest, one win from nine home league games is atrocious. We need to do much better.
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 97
Kris2
November 20, 2022, 11:47am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Interesting but am I the only one who thought Morris had a shocking game can't remember him winning a tackle or completing a pass Overall thought we were better than them and should have won with a bit more luck.

Nah thought he was pretty ineffective all game. Was shocked when Hurst pulled Kahn off instead of Morris or Green because neither of them looked great and Kahn has been one of our more likely players to score or set something up at that point. Though being baffled by Hurst's use of substitutes has been a hallmark for a long time.
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 97
Quagmire
November 20, 2022, 12:23pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +932
Gold Stars: 43
Deserved at least a point yesterday, far better performance than the week before.

January is going to be a busy month for Hurst I feel.

IMO our inconsistency is down to all the chopping and changing of players and formations.

He's used 25 different players in the league already and we're only 4 months into the season.

As daft as it sounds, I think the squad size is his biggest issue - he's trying to come up with a system to fit all these pieces into.  

He's got 16 players to fit into 6 places in the team (5 places if we continue with 5 at the back).

6 central midfielders - Green, Holohan, Clifton, Morris, Hunt, Khouri

And then there's 10 forwards / wide players (11 when Scannel is fit) - MacAtee, Taylor, Orsi, Pepple, Simmonds, Richardson, JMD, Wearne, Khan, Kiernan

And we're (rightly) crying out for another striker to be brought in.

I'd just like him to stick with a formation and a first 11 over the next few games and see how we get on.  

It's difficult to build an understanding amongst the players when formations and players change every single week.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 97
MuddyWaters
November 20, 2022, 12:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Quagmire
Deserved at least a point yesterday, far better performance than the week before.

January is going to be a busy month for Hurst I feel.

IMO our inconsistency is down to all the chopping and changing of players and formations.

He's used 25 different players in the league already and we're only 4 months into the season.

As daft as it sounds, I think the squad size is his biggest issue - he's trying to come up with a system to fit all these pieces into.  

He's got 16 players to fit into 6 places in the team (5 places if we continue with 5 at the back).

6 central midfielders - Green, Holohan, Clifton, Morris, Hunt, Khouri

And then there's 10 forwards / wide players (11 when Scannel is fit) - MacAtee, Taylor, Orsi, Pepple, Simmonds, Richardson, JMD, Wearne, Khan, Kiernan

And we're (rightly) crying out for another striker to be brought in.

I'd just like him to stick with a formation and a first 11 over the next few games and see how we get on.  

It's difficult to build an understanding amongst the players when formations and players change every single week.

There's a lot to take out of that post.

He clearly is quite settled with his defensive options and, to a large extent, trusts them. Moving forward is the problem, there's a large number of names on your list that he clearly doesn't rate/trust to start and, you're right, January needs to address this even though the chairman says that windows should just be for tinkering going forward. That list needs more than tinkering with.
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 97
Rodley Mariner
November 20, 2022, 2:09pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 180
The point about a more settled line up and formation is a fair one but it would be a lot easier if the players found more consistency. He picked a team and formation for Plymouth and they were outstanding so he stuck with it for Doncaster and they were flipping awful. Would have been very hard to justify picking that team again yesterday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 97
lew chaterleys lover
November 20, 2022, 2:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,780
Gold Stars: 237
It might be that January is yet another in/out shake it all about, but is it really necessary?

As the posters above point out, we have got an awful lot of players (too many?) we never have a settled system or personnel, so do we need to further muddy the waters with another load of replacements?

Would it be better to offload one or two if we can, and put all our money into a striker, play a preferred system and stick with it?  

Answers on a postcard I suppose.

Regarding the striker - will we be willing to pay the going rate in wages, even if it makes him the top earner?
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 97
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.