Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 230 Guests

Just back

This thread currently has 11,654 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
November 19, 2022, 9:01pm
Guest User
Quoted from Chrisblor
Efete was hesitant going forward, he always holds the ball up instead of playing crosses in behind defenders. Defensively today, this is what he was doing before we conceded:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/Tb1gWzq.png[/img]

Now, I don't think he's rubbish, and he'd still be my first choice right-back, but there were aspects of his performance today that deserved criticism (such as falling on his bottom in his own penalty area immediately before the player he was marking assisted their goal) and I find it strange how defensive some people get about him.

I don't know how you can criticise someone who slipped, something which was not a mistake.  All the game players were slipping, it was just unfortunate that he slipped at that particular moment.  Slipping isn't something you choose to do, therefore it cannot be a mistake.

Reply: 40 - 97
November 19, 2022, 9:04pm
Guest User
Quoted from Chrisblor

So? No defender ever intentionally makes a mistake but he's still fallen on his bottom at a critical moment.

Not deliberately, you muppet.

Reply: 41 - 97
marinerjase
November 19, 2022, 9:05pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,682
Gold Stars: 147
Scrappy battle of a game - which most thought it would be like beforehand. Don’t think we deserved to lose - so the equaliser welcomed and deserved - not sure how it went in tbh..my first thought was it may have been an o.g?

I was at the other end but I felt our penalty was ‘soft’..but the keeper mind games on the line and McAtees poor execution meant we didn’t gain an advantage. Felt we got better as the game went on..though we lack a cutting edge at times, play side to side often to try and stretch play but it’s at a pace the opposition side can get organised behind. Miss that player to break between lines, create space, hence why I was a little surprised Holohan not brought on. Think Stevenage defended well tbf, but were starting to get tested more just as McAtees ambitious overhead failed and they scored a good goal on the break. Deserved the point - thought maybe might have been an option to put Clifton on other side when subs made, and as said Holohan introduced - but we stood up to the physical challenge - Green had a decent game, and Amos got better as it went on. Do think if Richardson et al aren’t going to get games, or look strong enough - may have to look at sending back/replacing couple loanees in Jan, and we definitely need a striker to come in. Possibly May have to strengthen at the back with injuries etc.

Not sure we are playing with confidence, maybe a bit susceptible- but credit to the squad for battling..there’s no reason to think we can’t improve as season goes..think we’ll be fine, around mid table..which would be fine, just would like to hope season doesn’t pan out into a damp squib for many reasons ..we need to look towards play off places for as long as possible.

Cup game this week so hopefully a nice positive result there, or at least get a replay - and then back to a tricky run of games in League..but we’re only ever 1 game from it all coming together ..stick with them 👍

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 97
spuggybridge
November 19, 2022, 9:13pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: +41
Gold Stars: 1
In all fairness, and especially after last week I would have taken a point from the team in second place.

Thought Effete was poor first half but improved second, think his confidence seems to have been knocked.

Crocombe MOM at least 2 good saves.

Does Hurst teach any of our players to shoot, its frustrating the amount of times we are in a good shooting position and then decide to pass sideways.

Overall I'll take the point and move onto next week...UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 97
WOZOFGRIMSBY
November 19, 2022, 9:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,023
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Bigdog

Woz, how the fook after today's game have you singled Efete out? Fooking disturbing witch hunt this is..

I haven’t ‘singled him out’. I’ve given an opinion on how I thought he played. The missed header where their attacker should’ve scored and he blamed max for is the one that sticks in the mind and the chances he had in the box to score.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 97
Rodley Mariner
November 19, 2022, 9:33pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

I haven’t ‘singled him out’. I’ve given an opinion on how I thought he played. The missed header where their attacker should’ve scored and he blamed max for is the one that sticks in the mind and the chances he had in the box to score.

You did single him out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 97
Rodley Mariner
November 19, 2022, 9:34pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
The amount of excrement-housery/time-wasting from Stevenage was amazing. The referee was obviously watching a game on the beach. A new right back/wing back is needed. We’ve missed McAtee (though not for his penalties.

The atmosphere second half sounded great on tv and am still amazed and proud of how many fans we are getting each week. I hope the lad with the head injury is ok.

A point is the least we deserved and after a woeful first 20 mins I thought we played well

Who else did you criticise in this post?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 97
HertsGTFC
November 19, 2022, 9:35pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from marinerjase
Scrappy battle of a game - which most thought it would be like beforehand. Don’t think we deserved to lose - so the equaliser welcomed and deserved - not sure how it went in tbh..my first thought was it may have been an o.g?

I was at the other end but I felt our penalty was ‘soft’..but the keeper mind games on the line and McAtees poor execution meant we didn’t gain an advantage. Felt we got better as the game went on..though we lack a cutting edge at times, play side to side often to try and stretch play but it’s at a pace the opposition side can get organised behind. Miss that player to break between lines, create space, hence why I was a little surprised Holohan not brought on. Think Stevenage defended well tbf, but were starting to get tested more just as McAtees ambitious overhead failed and they scored a good goal on the break. Deserved the point - thought maybe might have been an option to put Clifton on other side when subs made, and as said Holohan introduced - but we stood up to the physical challenge - Green had a decent game, and Amos got better as it went on. Do think if Richardson et al aren’t going to get games, or look strong enough - may have to look at sending back/replacing couple loanees in Jan, and we definitely need a striker to come in. Possibly May have to strengthen at the back with injuries etc.

Not sure we are playing with confidence, maybe a bit susceptible- but credit to the squad for battling..there’s no reason to think we can’t improve as season goes..think we’ll be fine, around mid table..which would be fine, just would like to hope season doesn’t pan out into a damp squib for many reasons ..we need to look towards play off places for as long as possible.

Cup game this week so hopefully a nice positive result there, or at least get a replay - and then back to a tricky run of games in League..but we’re only ever 1 game from it all coming together ..stick with them 👍

Balance as ever! 👍

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 97
moosey_club
November 19, 2022, 9:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,318
Gold Stars: 229
Well...we didn't lose...it was Stevenage and Steve Evans after all...would have taken a point after 3 successive  losses before we kicked a ball today.

On balance...was the better side but didn't have the killer touch,

I think Hursts tactics first half should have been successful, penalty miss and Khan hitting the post denying an almost perfect game plan...fine margins.

Not sure about the subs but showed enough character to scrape a draw when it was looking unlikely.

Same sort of formation as Salford...looked awkward again but same result.

It's a point. UTM

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 97
The Yard Dog
November 19, 2022, 10:01pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,516
Gold Stars: 74
The game was effected by the officials being not able to officiate the game, every time a Stevenage went down the ref gave a foul, yet allowed the Stevenage players push over our players and still no foul given (the push inside the penalty box, and 5 secs later actually shoved Clifton over yards from the lino). On the replay it looked that Etefe was pulled inside the penalty box in the second half, ref was giving those decisions to Stevenage all game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 97
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.