sam gy
November 1, 2022, 5:11pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 56
Jolley tried to sign him too

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 94
ginnywings
November 1, 2022, 5:14pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Without saying that either are world beaters, it's worth noting that Bradford had Angol and Oliver on their bench the other week. Both are capable at this level.

They also have considerably more fans and I assume more money to spend on players than we do. They are also a bigger and more attractive club than we are, with the added bonus of a more attractive catchment area and a high profile manager.

I'd be surprised if they didn't have a better squad than us, but we still outplayed them second half.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 94
HertsGTFC
November 1, 2022, 5:23pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from ginnywings

They also have considerably more fans and I assume more money to spend on players than we do. They are also a bigger and more attractive club than we are, with the added bonus of a more attractive catchment area and a high profile manager.

I'd be surprised if they didn't have a better squad than us, but we still outplayed them second half.

If you're a striker you'd also think that playing for Hughes may improve your game a bit as well and open up bigger career options.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 94
pontoonlew
November 1, 2022, 5:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
Quoted from Hagrid

in your opinion.  

I’m not sure the time a player keeps a ball at his feet can be an ‘opinion’, given it’s a factual event. Watch the game back and you’ll see that Pepple kept the ball at his feet when holding it up for longer than Taylor did at any point, that’ll be an absolute fact.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 94
HertsGTFC
November 1, 2022, 5:43pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from DB
Last year at this time we had somewhere in the region of 6 to 10 different goalscorers and few cared if we had a No 9 ( although the shirt was filled later ). The expectations at the start of that season were mid-table and consolidation. Well as we know that didn't happen.

Now we still don't have a No9 and the lack of a goalscorer is evident to all. Our expectations are still the same though midtable and consolidation. Barrow and Hartlepool's games were dire but we are still only 4 points off the playoff places after a third of the season.

When we look at the squad it is basically last year's minus 1 or 2 with some additional players, some of whom cannot make a regular starting place on the team sheet. So in essence our NL squad have upped a gear for League 2. Harry and Max for example.

Hurst did say he want a striker in the summer transfer window but only Hurst and the club know why it didn't happen, so he took a punt on some whom he might develop which doesn't happen overnight. 1878 say they want to live within their means and 20+ miles away shows what is happening to a former championship club that didn't.

Plymouth, potentially a future championship club, will show us on Saturday have much we have to catch up, both on and off the field. Let us not forget they do not have an ideal location, like Town, to attract players, but they do!

Patience, I think, is the key for us. A fit McAtee coming back soon, as we have good home and away supporters, good ownership and hopefully a new striker for a new years present.

The voice of reason as ever DB, also worth noting that before the Bradford game which most considered a decent result we'd scored 3 goals in the two games before that. Prior to last week our GD which is arguably the most important bit wasn't too far away from the rest of the teams in and around us and we're 4 points off the play off's with around a 3rd of the season gone.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 94
Hagrid
November 1, 2022, 7:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,517
Gold Stars: 544
Quoted from pontoonlew

I’m not sure the time a player keeps a ball at his feet can be an ‘opinion’, given it’s a factual event. Watch the game back and you’ll see that Pepple kept the ball at his feet when holding it up for longer than Taylor did at any point, that’ll be an absolute fact.

I watched the game, your obsession with trying to prove a point about Taylor is almost as bizarre as your obsession with Hurst last season.

Point to me is Taylor is our best striker by a mile, he is essential to the way we play, our replacements arent anywhere near good enough, we conceded both goals with Taylor off the pitch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 94
MuddyWaters
November 1, 2022, 7:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Hagrid

I watched the game, your obsession with trying to prove a point about Taylor is almost as bizarre as your obsession with Hurst last season.

Point to me is Taylor is our best striker by a mile, he is essential to the way we play, our replacements arent anywhere near good enough, we conceded both goals with Taylor off the pitch.

Everyone seems a bit obsessed about an alternative to Taylor. Given that PH has played with Taylor as a pivot in nearly every game since the beginning of last season ought to tell everyone (including the opponents) how much he rates him and how important he is to our playing style.
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 94
pontoonlew
November 1, 2022, 8:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
Quoted from Hagrid

You always call it an ‘obsession’ when somebody dares to question a player you’re a big fan of and get weirdly defensive and teary over it.

Taylor is indeed our best striker, but it’s hardly a high bar is it? He’s been poor the past 3 games, great in others this season, but if you can’t see that he’s currently struggling to hold the ball up you’re either watching the game with your head in your bottom or you’re watching it with rose tinted specs on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 94
toontown
November 1, 2022, 8:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70

Didn't he assist Clifton at Walsall for one of his goals?

He did ok at rochdale driving forward he won the corner that we scored the winner from. He got the assist for taylor when he battled and taylor took it and scored against some team I can't remember.

Against hartlepool I thought he did OK, a bit different to taylor. He totally isn't ready to lead the line and not sure whether he ever will be, obviously needs coaching but I think he's a useful squad player at the mo to come on as sub. Has size and strength but very raw skills wise.

I personally far prefer him to simmonds.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 94
Hagrid
November 1, 2022, 9:07pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,517
Gold Stars: 544
Quoted from pontoonlew

You always call it an ‘obsession’ when somebody dares to question a player you’re a big fan of and get weirdly defensive and teary over it.

Taylor is indeed our best striker, but it’s hardly a high bar is it? He’s been poor the past 3 games, great in others this season, but if you can’t see that he’s currently struggling to hold the ball up you’re either watching the game with your head in your bottom or you’re watching it with rose tinted specs on.

Nah i’m just sick to death of folk not understanding what he brings to the side. I’m watching a player do his constant best to battle against 2 centre backs for 90 mins week after week because we are too slow to get any support up to him. He flicks it on, he holds it up, he does the best he can with absolutely intercourse all support
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 94
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Pepple

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.