10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
DaleH
October 31, 2022, 5:07pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +2 / -3
Approval: +789
Gold Stars: 171
I'm not a fan of his, and so far I haven't seen anything to suggest that his ongoing loan is worthwhile. I'd be delighted to be given reason to change my mind though.

"BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 94
It Bites
October 31, 2022, 5:28pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.44
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,545
Gold Stars: 295
I remember someone on here posted that Pepple looked like a competition winner . I tend to agree . Its nothing to do with his attitude, work rate or desire etc .
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 94
HerveJosse
October 31, 2022, 5:50pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.81
Rep Score: +6 / -4
Approval: +1,196
Gold Stars: 157
Quoted from monkeyboy
I will probably be shot down for this but i have seen a few people getting on about pepple.

When he was introduced on saturday he held the ball up well and found more space than taylor did, he also is a bit quicker.
He also seems to have a few efforts on goal when he does get a few minutes which is something our current strikers dont get.

I think with a run of games this lad could well prove the doubters wrong.  hardest part is getting games tho as certain people are first on the teamsheet and seem to be undroppable.
Hurst is a very stobborn man.

Sorry but machine guns out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 94
SouthLakesMariner
October 31, 2022, 5:58pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +978
Gold Stars: 24

Well, a lot of what we talk about is conjecture, but that is part of the fun.

I think we tried to justify the deal by saying something like we wanted to create good impressions with Luton. You don't have to get the wrong end of a deal to make a good impression, and I doubt whether Luton has given us a second thought apart from anything concerning McAtee.

I am slightly irritated as we have all seen players go to Premier League and Championship clubs for transformative transfer fees, and our best player in a long long time has gone for money that seemingly is well short of that even though he had a nationwide audition in the playoffs.

I agree there are a lot of maybes. Perhaps Luton was the only suitor. Maybe McAtee only wanted to go to Luton but in hindsight, it is not the best deal in the world when you compare it to other players who lack the star quality of McAtee.

If you look back at the thread that followed the announcement of the McAtee deal, I think you’ll find the vast majority we’re of the opinion that it was a great piece of business for Town. It was pretty clear he wasn’t going to sign a new contract and we could well have lost him at the end of this season for no fee at all. So arguably from our perspective, having kept him for the season, any reasonable fee was good business.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 94
BrMarin
October 31, 2022, 6:10pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +17 / -2
Approval: +91
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from sam gy

The thing is though, you've pretty much created that scenario...who is to say Pepple coming here on loan had any say on how much they paid for McAtee? We are not privvy at all to transfer negotiating and behind the scenes business discussions.

You are 100% correct. Except most people on here believe we got a fantastic deal despite not being "privvy" to the undisclosed details. Unless an adequate replacement is found then who's to say Luton haven't had our pants down?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 94
lew chaterleys lover
October 31, 2022, 6:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +30 / -11
Approval: +11,086
Gold Stars: 242
Quoted from SouthLakesMariner

If you look back at the thread that followed the announcement of the McAtee deal, I think you’ll find the vast majority we’re of the opinion that it was a great piece of business for Town. It was pretty clear he wasn’t going to sign a new contract and we could well have lost him at the end of this season for no fee at all. So arguably from our perspective, having kept him for the season, any reasonable fee was good business.

Yes you are right about that to be fair, and I think I convinced myself we got the best deal we could but a lot of that was predicated on Pepple being the quick exciting striker we needed who had after all signed for a Championship club. Sadly the manager and the fans have not seen it yet.

Like all Town fans I will be cheering if he really comes good but we the jury is out.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 94
bedders78
October 31, 2022, 6:40pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +853
Gold Stars: 15
Not sure how comprehensive this list is (and there are some familiar names) but seems to be top end of the going rate for a non-league player

https://www.transfermarkt.co.u.....amp;w_s=&zuab=ab

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 94
MuddyWaters
October 31, 2022, 6:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -25
Approval: +32,975
Gold Stars: 241
There’s been many a manager of this football club who would have been berated for signing a loanee who had never played at a better level than the Canadian League.

I feel sorry for him. He looks like a fish out of water.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 94
MaccasBoots
October 31, 2022, 6:57pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Approval: +810
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from ska face

You see on his highlights from his time in Canada, a lot of his best play comes when picking the ball up out wide on the left where he can use his physicality to muscle his way down the sides or into the box. It’d be far better for him to be used that way than as a lone striker where he’s going to get bullied by L2 centre halves.

But like everyone’s said, it’d require a change in system that Hurst won’t do because he likes that single focal point up top. To me I think that’s because it allows us to set up more defensively and hit teams on the break, but the cost is that we can never establish any decent sustained pressure and we waste good positions because chances fall to midfielders rather than strikers.

It's really interesting you make that point about him playing out wide - reminds me of when Hurst used Monkhouse on the left wing in a 442 in the conference. Yes, Monkhouse wasn't always a fan favourite, but I feel like his height gave us a great outball as he would almost always win his aerial duel against the right back he was up against. Gives the opposition something to think about. Maybe if you wanted to emulate that Town team you could have something like:

Crocombe
Efete Waterfall Smith Glennon
Clifton Morris Green Pepple
Taylor Orsi

Efete bombing down the right (while Clifton covers for him) and whipping in crosses for Pepple to meet at the back post. Orsi as the fox in the box looking for knock downs from Taylor or Pepple. Green and Morris breaking play up in the middle). Then you have players like Khan, Richardson, Kiernan, etc. who can come on with 30 mins to go and give the opposition something to think about.

Maybe a bit of a mad idea, but might be worth thinking about in certain games (e.g. where the opposition right back is particularly weak in the air).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 94
pen penfras
October 31, 2022, 7:21pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -73
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from MaccasBoots

It's really interesting you make that point about him playing out wide - reminds me of when Hurst used Monkhouse on the left wing in a 442 in the conference. Yes, Monkhouse wasn't always a fan favourite, but I feel like his height gave us a great outball as he would almost always win his aerial duel against the right back he was up against. Gives the opposition something to think about. Maybe if you wanted to emulate that Town team you could have something like:

Crocombe
Efete Waterfall Smith Glennon
Clifton Morris Green Pepple
Taylor Orsi

Efete bombing down the right (while Clifton covers for him) and whipping in crosses for Pepple to meet at the back post. Orsi as the fox in the box looking for knock downs from Taylor or Pepple. Green and Morris breaking play up in the middle). Then you have players like Khan, Richardson, Kiernan, etc. who can come on with 30 mins to go and give the opposition something to think about.

Maybe a bit of a mad idea, but might be worth thinking about in certain games (e.g. where the opposition right back is particularly weak in the air).

Monkhouse was a good player, but we played that stupid long ball to him all game every game, and when teams realised this after about 5 games, they stuck a big defender against him and nullified this tactic. We persisted with this until he got injured, which made it seem like he was a hinderance when in reality Hurst stuck to a tactic that rarely worked.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 94
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Pepple

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.