9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Mariner_09
October 26, 2022, 8:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
I don’t know why people think Hurst should have a supernatural ability to find a 30 goal, fast, target man when the other 23 managers in L2 appear to be facing the same problems.

If you look at the L2 top scorers chart it’s a pretty dispiriting list, headed by an attacking midfielder and Andy Cook (last seen in the Blundell Park dressing room, sucking his thumb and being rocked to sleep by Mark Hughes).

Harry Clifton is 11th top scorer despite many on here spending early season moaning Harry couldn’t even finish a wänk. Taylor’s only one goal off appearing on the list himself.

If we had limitless cash, I’m not convinced I’d take any striker I’ve seen play against Town so far this season. Mandron maybe, but he’s not exactly prolific himself.

I know I sound like a broken record but the PL/Championship academies have spent the last few years pumping out false 9s and inverted wingers rather than strikers who can lead the line. That’s why there is a shortage.

Also the issue that the standard formation is now 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 (with a McAtee esque player), so there are just fewer strikers around, notwithstanding if PL academics have been creating False 9’s. The old fashioned No9 has gone out of the game, Haaland is something of a throwback as well as a freak but most of the top sides don’t play with a proper striker anymore.

It does mean, if you can somehow find one, it will take you onto a different stratosphere because barely anyone else has one.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 83
Bigdog
October 26, 2022, 8:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.12
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Reasonable debate about what we lack up front and the only two posts out of the whole thread that mention a 30 goal striker are the two posters moaning about posters demanding 30 goal strikers, which is zero in this thread. Talk about moaning for moaning's sake..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 83
WOZOFGRIMSBY
October 26, 2022, 9:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,023
Gold Stars: 190
I felt for Taylor last night. Just didn’t have the time to implement anything on the game as he was using an OS map and a compass trying to find anyone remotely close to him

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 83
MuddyWaters
October 26, 2022, 10:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
I felt for Taylor last night. Just didn’t have the time to implement anything on the game as he was using an OS map and a compass trying to find anyone remotely close to him

You’ve arrived at the most important bit. Only McAtee makes the first run. When a midfielder gets a pass off to Taylor, McAtee is on the run. Of this season’s crop only Richardson has got it, the rest are on their heels. It’s like we played around Tony Rees. Gilbert, Childs, Cunnington etc were on the move.
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 83
Maringer
October 26, 2022, 10:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,680
Gold Stars: 189
There will certainly be younger, more mobile players who can perform a similar role to Taylor, perhaps with a little more goal threat. Just not playing as low as League Two.

Taylor would start most games for me if fit, but it doesn't change the fact that we're lacking a plan 'B' up front. The fact we don't have anybody using the No. 9 shirt shows that the coaching staff know this as well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 83
WOZOFGRIMSBY
October 26, 2022, 10:29pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

You’ve arrived at the most important bit. Only McAtee makes the first run. When a midfielder gets a pass off to Taylor, McAtee is on the run. Of this season’s crop only Richardson has got it, the rest are on their heels. It’s like we played around Tony Rees. Gilbert, Childs, Cunnington etc were on the move.

I always thought that Taylor was very much in that ilk too. Though, can we get Taylor some back heel coaching

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 83
MuddyWaters
October 26, 2022, 11:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
There will certainly be younger, more mobile players who can perform a similar role to Taylor, perhaps with a little more goal threat. Just not playing as low as League Two.

Taylor would start most games for me if fit, but it doesn't change the fact that we're lacking a plan 'B' up front. The fact we don't have anybody using the No. 9 shirt shows that the coaching staff know this as well.

Very true. Oh for a Neil Woods ⚽️🥳😂
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 83
lew chaterleys lover
October 27, 2022, 9:23am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,774
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Do you think the problem therefore is more the managers and coaches? We have quite a lot of forward and attacking midfielders who can surely be made aware of making such runs so that Taylor is not Isolated all the time.

The managers stock is rightly very high, but we have known about McAtee for some time and am surprised this problem of an isolated Taylor seems to keep recurring.
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 83
MuddyWaters
October 27, 2022, 9:46am
Barley Wine Drinker

Do you think the problem therefore is more the managers and coaches? We have quite a lot of forward and attacking midfielders who can surely be made aware of making such runs so that Taylor is not Isolated all the time.

The managers stock is rightly very high, but we have known about McAtee for some time and am surprised this problem of an isolated Taylor seems to keep recurring.

It shouldn’t be too difficult for coaches, albeit coaches with defensive backgrounds, to coach movement off the ball. If we continue to play a system with Taylor as the pivot, it needs a lot of improvement.
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 83
WOZOFGRIMSBY
October 27, 2022, 9:58am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Very true. Oh for a Neil Woods ⚽️🥳😂

With or without the icicle?

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 83
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Striker

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.