9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
ska face
October 24, 2022, 4:41pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,811
Gold Stars: 852
Thing with Haughton, he might be handy in a team winning most weeks in NLN, but it’s a big ask to then come into a L2 team where you won’t have half as many chances, far less space and far more physical defenders. Can’t see it myself.

I’m not sure what’ll happen with Pepple as I get the impression Hurst isn’t mad keen on him, almost like he’d been foisted on us as part of the McAtee deal. There’ll be other loan options further up the pyramid, Josh Kayode, for example, apparently not tearing up trees at MK Dons, might end up getting recalled and shuffled into L2 for a more consistent run out. Who knows.  
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 83
October 24, 2022, 4:46pm
Guest User
I thought Hurst had tried to sign Haughton during summer?

If true and he sees something in him, then he’s usually right.

Otherwise I agree it’s a heck of a jump.
Reply: 11 - 83
Surrey97
October 24, 2022, 5:02pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +835
Gold Stars: 20
Think any signing in January up top will likely be someone who can play off Taylor, in preparation for us losing McAtee in the summer. Haughton fits that bill, keep an eye on Scott Pollock at Boston if his form continues too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 83
Mariner_09
October 24, 2022, 5:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from Surrey97
Think any signing in January up top will likely be someone who can play off Taylor, in preparation for us losing McAtee in the summer. Haughton fits that bill, keep an eye on Scott Pollock at Boston if his form continues too.

But we can’t be looking for someone to play off Taylor per se. He’s been excellent so far this season no doubt, fairly clear he’d never have needed drop to the NL last season if it weren’t for his injuries. I was a bit worried about being 34 and having been out of the League for a year whether he’d be able to hack it but he’s been one of our best performers, he’s crucial. But, he’ll be 35 next season, he may be worth another contract but we’ll need a replacement for him as well as McAtee in the summer.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 83
acko338
October 24, 2022, 5:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +44 / -6
Approval: +3,212
Gold Stars: 33
We need to find the next version of Taylor, hopefully as part of January work, but his swansong may be how he dovetails with McAtee again, from when McAtee is fit again.

Being fit again isn't a given guarantee of reliving past success , though !!

McAtee may have defenders going for hard shoulder tackles as soon as he is back on the pitch.

On the very good side, his mobility and all round pressing game, if rekindled again, should once again bring pace up front, and gaps for the other players to utilise.

Taylor, especially, will have someone hunting his knockdowns. Maybe some early sub runouts before a full game start.

Would you want to see a fit McAtee coming on with 25 to go and you're tiring ??.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 83
DB
October 24, 2022, 5:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.38
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,056
Gold Stars: 391
I think we will have a new striker in January. In the transfer window we were the new kids and, according to most were going back down. We have now shown what a good side we are, just under the play off places and to get promoted this season.

We are a proven club on the up with a fantastic home and away fan base. I think all these factors will encourage a new recruit whom I expect Hurst to find. Hurst has a good record of bringing in quality players whom other managers pass over.

We do need cover for Taylor and McAtee is only ours till the end of the season so a replacement in the wings would be ideal. As for a fee then it would have to be under £500k for us to consider; on the other hand Jason did say, a few months ago, raising money wasn't a problem.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 83
1mickylyons
October 24, 2022, 5:43pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,388
Gold Stars: 56
Taylor is a very good forward but never a goalscorer. Of all the forwards we've had in recent years for my money Hearn and Mcatee have been the most exciting to watch .Hearn though just seemed a more natural goalscorer pace power and strength .Were a strong side I just think a forward of that ilk make the difference in wether or not we make the play offs and possibly promotion.
I  know people will point out we did it last season without one but the sheer volume of crosses going across the opposition six yard box or shots being spilled with nobody to tap home is frustrating.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 83
mimma
October 24, 2022, 6:02pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,580
Gold Stars: 78
Hurst has a knack of finding rough diamonds and getting them to play and excel. It will be someone we've never heared of with  fairly average stats that will come in and do the business. It's what Hurst does.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 83
Mariner_09
October 24, 2022, 6:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from 1mickylyons
Taylor is a very good forward but never a goalscorer. Of all the forwards we've had in recent years for my money Hearn and Mcatee have been the most exciting to watch .Hearn though just seemed a more natural goalscorer pace power and strength .Were a strong side I just think a forward of that ilk make the difference in wether or not we make the play offs and possibly promotion.
I  know people will point out we did it last season without one but the sheer volume of crosses going across the opposition six yard box or shots being spilled with nobody to tap home is frustrating.

I maintain Hearn’s the most talented striker I’ve seen play for us. From September to March of that one season before he got injured, he was unplayable. He had more than pace, power and finishing, he had a hell of a lot of quality on the ball as well and was able to manufacture chances for himself where other strikers at that level simply would never have been able to do. If he’d partnered Lenny in the 14/15 season, I think we’d have gone up a year earlier. He was also the best one-on-one finisher I’ve seen us have, he never missed them.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 83
fishboyUTM
October 24, 2022, 6:22pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,071
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Mariner_09

I maintain Hearn’s the most talented striker I’ve seen play for us. From September to March of that one season before he got injured, he was unplayable. He had more than pace, power and finishing, he had a hell of a lot of quality on the ball as well and was able to manufacture chances for himself where other strikers at that level simply would never have been able to do. If he’d partnered Lenny in the 14/15 season, I think we’d have gone up a year earlier. He was also the best one-on-one finisher I’ve seen us have, he never missed them.

Ridiculous he never played more than a handful of games in league two. Should have played much higher for over a decade. I know he had problems in his early twenties and ended up in prison, for defending his disabled mate I understand.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 83
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Striker

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.