Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Sporting cancellations
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 248 Guests

Sporting cancellations

This thread currently has 17,494 views. Print
19 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
aldi_01
September 9, 2022, 6:41am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
We all know they’ll bottle it and just cancel the fixtures. We must all be miserable and sit and pretend to mourn.

As mentioned, genuine disasters take place an we crack on, this should be the same, and in truth, she’d probably want them to given she was a big sports fan.

I guess it’s another way to keep the commoner under control. You will mourn the loss of a shiny hatted old lady and you will remember your place.

Play the games, have a minute silence, even sing the dreadful national anthem if you want and crack on. Cancel sport yet literally everything else carries on as normal.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 188
lukeo
September 9, 2022, 6:45am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
She was 96, lived a great life and we should celebrate that. It's not like she died very young. Minute silence, schools to teach children about her history etc and then we move on
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 188
Northbank Mariner
September 9, 2022, 6:52am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,533
Gold Stars: 172
Herein lies the problem, the London Bridge has fallen, the decision made about the length and effects of mourning of our longest serving monarch will be made without asking the family what their wishes are.
The way the queen has conducted herself throughout her realm has been for benefit of the people of this country, she's served us tirelessly, even 48 hours before her demise she was still doing her duties with a smile on her face.
So rather than the Premier League or EFL making a decision on upcoming fixtures, why not ask Charles, William et al what they'd like to happen, for all we know the old gal probably said the words as my dad..." Don't mourn my passing, celebrate my life, raise a glass and get p!ssed, I'll see you all again one day"...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 188
HertsGTFC
September 9, 2022, 6:55am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
The FA, EFL, premier league etc… won’t do anything that will see them criticised so I’d set up for a free Saturday afternoon this week at least.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 188
aldi_01
September 9, 2022, 7:09am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from headingly_mariner
It's not a tragedy it's a moment for pay our respects and celebrate a long and successful life.

Postponing sport is ridiculous. A minute's silence would suffice.

We don't postpone games when real tragedies occur like Grenfell or terrorist attacks.

They won't be cancelling work for the next two weeks so why cancel people's enjoyment. It's an archaic mournfest.

You’re not nearly cynical enough…we don’t stop for those events badges as wartime spirit and blitz spirit when in truth it’s because its poor folk. Average joe.

Keep us serfs down, you will mourn whether you like it or not. Oh, but if you could continue to go work and ensure the economy continues that would be lovely.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 188
MuddyWaters
September 9, 2022, 7:13am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from HertsGTFC
The FA, EFL, premier league etc… won’t do anything that will see them criticised so I’d set up for a free Saturday afternoon this week at least.

And probably next Saturday too as I suspect it will be the day of the funeral.

For perspective, it’s the first time a monarch has died in most of our lifetimes. It’s more important to some than others, I get that, but show some respect, it’s a bit more important than Grimsby v Crewe, which will, after all, get played in due course.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 188
jaygy
September 9, 2022, 7:25am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +2,351
Gold Stars: 6
Cancelling sporting events is pure madness. Carry on with our lives, remember and reflect
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 188
Hagrid
September 9, 2022, 7:27am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,517
Gold Stars: 544
Quoted from MuddyWaters

For perspective, it’s the first time a monarch has died in most of our lifetimes. It’s more important to some than others, I get that, but show some respect, it’s a bit more important than Grimsby v Crewe, which will, after all, get played in due course.

Not to me it isnt.and not to a lot of others
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 188
aldi_01
September 9, 2022, 7:32am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Is it more important? Probably not. By that token I’d say that we shouldn’t be going to work (which is essentially what footballers would be doing) or pubs/restaurants should be shut.

Yes, I agree it’s the first time in the vast majority of peoples lives that this has happened but it’s also 2022. Many aren’t fussed either way about the monarchy.

If they blew up a couple of building today instead of the queen dying would they cancel them? Certainly not.

Play the sport, even badge it as ‘mourning collectively’ or whatever. Sadly, with not a back bone between the leagues and officials I suspect a Saturday of nothing.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 188
GrimRob
September 9, 2022, 7:35am

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,452
Gold Stars: 115
Police are going to be needed in their droves in London. PL and EFL would face a lot of criticism if they didn't call everything off. Non league might survive.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 19 - 188
19 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Sporting cancellations

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.