Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ol Liz then eh?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 266 Guests

Ol Liz then eh?

This thread currently has 8,610 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Wiley2405
September 8, 2022, 9:04pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +663
Gold Stars: 20
The Queen was a big sports fan, keep the fixtures, get everyone to blast out God Save The Queen before kick off and let’s get on with it. This years schedule is hectic enough for clubs for us to be cancelling games.

P.S I love the Queen and am very patriotic.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 70
LondonMariner43
September 8, 2022, 9:04pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,979
Gold Stars: 64
If people want to mourn, they can, but why should the whole country come to a grinding halt?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 70
GrimRob
September 8, 2022, 9:10pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,454
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from LondonMariner43
If people want to mourn, they can, but why should the whole country come to a grinding halt?

It's not though. Most businesses will carry on as normal. Sport's a bit different because it's a leisure activity, but it's only a tiny part of the economy.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 52 - 70
Sigone
September 8, 2022, 9:11pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +12 / -4
Approval: +1,615
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from LondonMariner43

Probably because she was the leader of the whole country.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 70
somersetmariner
September 8, 2022, 9:14pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +253
Gold Stars: 4
I didn’t read anything in ‘london bridge’ to say sporting events or any other cancellations or closures will happen immediately.
As far as i can gather, flags will be at half mast for the next ten days until the funeral. The cancellations will happen over that two day period. Business as usual till the funeral. respectfully of course.

you can take the boy out of grimsby......but you can't take grimsby out of his soul, his blood, his semen!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 70
fishboyUTM
September 8, 2022, 9:14pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,071
Gold Stars: 40
Couldn't care less about football at the weekend. Some of these comments are an absolute disgrace, I am so sad as I type.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 70
Hagrid
September 8, 2022, 9:18pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,518
Gold Stars: 544
Quoted from fishboyUTM
Couldn't care less about football at the weekend. Some of these comments are an absolute disgrace, I am so sad as I type.

Well you go lock yourself in your room for the next 10 days then and let the rest of us “ disgraces” get on with our lives and want to go to the football
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 70
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
September 8, 2022, 9:21pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 556
Quoted from Sigone

Probably because she was the leader of the whole country.

I am disappointed that the Queen has passed away. She has been a reassuring presence for many over the past 70 years and will be a loss to the country.

However (and as this is randomly on the football forum, unlike posts about racism at football matches, which get moved in seconds), I do find it ironic that the majority of the people, both on here and elsewhere, that are rabidly upset about the loss of an unelected ‘leader’ of their country were probably the very same people who voted Brexit…under the illusion of taking back control.

Surely the monarchy is the antithesis of taking back control?

RIP.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 70
Hagrid
September 8, 2022, 9:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,518
Gold Stars: 544
Quoted from chipsandgravy

Often thought you were a male private but let it go under the banner " this is a forum so its your opinion". Now I know....your a male private and thats just my opinion.

I love how you monarchy lovers have to turn abusive because some of us just dont want the country to grind to a halt.

Not one of us have been abusive about the Queen, if you want to mourn, mourn away. Some of us dont, quite frankly i dont care for the Queens passing. If that makes me a male private in your eyes, i really couldnt care.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 70
Poojah
September 8, 2022, 9:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,880
Gold Stars: 1,523
Quoted from petethemariner
I would have thought that thousands of football fans all over this country paying tribute to the queens service before kick off would be far more reverential than everyone sitting individually in their own homes.
The country rightfully mourns but life goes on and has to.

I must say, I’ve been giving this some thought and trying to come at it from the perspective of what I think is the right thing to do rather than in terms of what I want to do this weekend.

I’ve often found minute’s silences (over a minute’s applause) to be profoundly poignant and thought provoking; in particular the one following the return of fans to football following Covid. I do genuinely feel that football going ahead, with the respective tributes that will take place, offers a platform for I and others to share our respects in a more powerful and meaningful way than if it does not.

I can see the other side of the argument too, but that is the conclusion I have arrived at.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 70
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ol Liz then eh?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.