8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
jamesgtfc
August 24, 2022, 2:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Last summer we would have been buzzing with the signing of Orsi, regardless of whether we were in League 2 or the National League. He didn't have a great season last year and then joined a Boreham Wood side on freefall but you don't become a bad player overnight.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 71
WelwynGardener
August 24, 2022, 2:23pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 6
Just a thoroughly entertaining game. Wholly unrealistic to think this a competition we were ever going to win, but a real joy to draw a premiership club at home to provide a spectacle. Some very talented players on 'show' but we were never overrun. Also think we can be a very exciting team to watch when we play it 'on the deck' and some of our build-up play 2nd half was top draw. One sweeping run down the right from back to front in a matter of a few seconds produced a fairly desperate tackle in the box for a corner. Great to watch and well worth the long drive up from Hertfordshire on a very sultry day (and night!).. Now, it's back to the league.....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 71
diehardmariner
August 24, 2022, 2:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,716
Gold Stars: 543
Now a goals reel isn't going to show the misses, but isn't this an example of the type of clinical finishing/taking of opportunities that we perhaps miss?  Someone operating in those pockets of space and showing composure...

[youtube]jvJ8Wavyvzo[/youtube]
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 71
MaccasBoots
August 24, 2022, 2:46pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Approval: +702
Gold Stars: 23
A very impressive performance considering the quality of opposition, and a scoreline that flattered Forest in my view.

First half there wasn't much in it either way. Neither side created much, with both their goals coming from mistakes by us. Agree with others on here that Pepple wasn't given proper support on the break, was often ploughing a lone furlough. Efete slotted in well at centre half and Amos did well for me too. Have to say though I think Hurst might have got the tactics wrong - can see what he was trying to do by vacating the wings and essentially forcing them to whip in crosses against our tall defenders but didn't feel like we had enough creativity, and only looked like we'd score from a long throw if anything.

Second half was a huge improvement. Wearne made a massive difference, always looking to drive and play progressive balls forward. I actually think the Cropper injury helped us a bit (despite him having a good game) as it allowed Efete to get forward more and give their defence an extra headache. Morris was classy as ever, fast becoming one of my favourite players in this squad. Taylor is such an intelligent forward, but sometimes felt like he was playing a ball for an absent McAtee to run onto - no one else was making those runs in behind. Really should have had a goal, either from the Taylor header (how did that not go in!) or JMD's opportunity (should have shot instead of pulling it back in my opinion).

As I said, think the 3-0 scoreline flatters Forest massively, although fair play to Surridge for some good finishing. But I do think that if that Taylor header goes in then it's a completely different game at 2-1 with the crowd behind the team - wouldn't have been surprised if we ended up winning.

On the crowd, the noise in the second half in particular was fantastic. I do have to say though that i was a little disappointed with people flooding out of the main and upper after the second goal, and then again at around 75-80 mins. Listen, I completely understand if you need the loo or have a train to catch etc, but imagine how it must look to the players when fans are streaming out in their droves. Just my two cents.

On to Saturday - we can expect a good result if we play like that second half!

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 71
ska face
August 24, 2022, 2:49pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,811
Gold Stars: 852
Quoted from diehardmariner
Now a goals reel isn't going to show the misses, but isn't this an example of the type of clinical finishing/taking of opportunities that we perhaps miss?  Someone operating in those pockets of space and showing composure...

[youtube]jvJ8Wavyvzo[/youtube]

Just been watching the same thing along with all his goals from last year (apologies to my employer). He’s definitely a poacher and gets in the right positions. If that was him in the middle when Efete plays the ball across last night, or when the ball comes back off the post, maybe we’re not worrying about having to spend megabucks for a new striker.

I think he came in under the radar a bit, not much fanfare and has obviously been injured since Clee Town or Alfreton or whenever it was. Probably why Hurst is a bit reluctant to pull the trigger if he thinks he has a decent player only a few weeks away from fitness. Like we’ve said before, I wouldn’t afford too much weight to his record at Borehamwood given how they play & the fact they’d pretty much checked out after their cup run.

3 away games on the bounce now, would be good to see him get some minutes in away from the pressure of BP.
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 71
diehardmariner
August 24, 2022, 3:07pm
Vodka Drinker
I think you can discount his Harrogate spell altogether too.

3 starts, scoring in one.  Even in that he only played 63 minutes with 53 and 59 in the others.  

From the bench he had 3, 6, 21, 33 (scored), 17 and 21 minutes.  So on the four occasions he played more than 30 minutes in a game, he scored two goals.  

Borehamwood were absolutely awful in both league games I saw, as you say the wheels came off following the cup run.  But even there he only started 7 games, scoring in the only full game he played.  

Both Harrogate and Borehamwood don't play a style of play that reflects that (acceptingly a selected) highlights package showcasing Orsi's strengths.  

Private Message
Reply: 55 - 71
diehardmariner
August 24, 2022, 3:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Last summer we would have been buzzing with the signing of Orsi, regardless of whether we were in League 2 or the National League. He didn't have a great season last year and then joined a Boreham Wood side on freefall but you don't become a bad player overnight.

Absolutely.  For context, for Maidenhead (a pretty average side that finished mid-table in the Conference) he gets 18 in 38.  
Minutes per goals - 154

At the same level and including play-off games:

Padraig Amond - 117 minutes per goal
Omar Bogle - 183 minutes per goal
Liam Hearn (11/12 only) - 136 minutes per goal
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 71
ginnywings
August 24, 2022, 6:48pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
What I liked about the goal Orsi scored against Clee Town was the way he passed it into the net. Always a good sign when a player stays cool in goal scoring positions.

I also want to echo what a previous poster said regarding the ref. Meant to mention him in my previous post on this thread but forgot. Controlled the game very well and let play flow when he could. So much better than the usual dross we get in League 2 and makes all the difference to the match as a spectacle.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 71
Lost in Lincoln
August 24, 2022, 9:30pm
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Approval: +388
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from golfer
With his ball skills Dennis could be on stage - we were mesmerised - and he isn't even in the first team.

He only signed this week.

First game: 7/5/88 Aldershot (h) 1-1 (R)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 58 - 71
Lost in Lincoln
August 24, 2022, 9:32pm
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Approval: +388
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from golfer
With his ball skills Dennis could be on stage - we were mesmerised - and he isn't even in the first team.

8,419 I think

First game: 7/5/88 Aldershot (h) 1-1 (R)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 59 - 71
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.