Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back  (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 125 Guests

Just Back  (merged)

This thread currently has 12,479 views. Print
9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
barralad
August 13, 2022, 5:24pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
Definitely a game of two halves. Looked like their manager had told them to go hard for an early goal. Several very dodgy moments at the back mostly caused by their number 11 Odoh. We weathered the storm thanks primarily to Smith, Glennon and the increasingly safe Crocombe.
Second half we pushed on against some rapidly tiring Rochdale legs. The turning point for me was when Amos arrived allowing Glennon to push up. His delivery is extraordinarily good.
People came on and very nearly acquired the status of super hero-only a foul (not given obviously) stopping him two yards from goal.
Just as we were heading towards a nil-nil up popped Waterfall for our trade mark late winner. Even allowing for our recent history I don't remember many goals being more celebrated by the scorer.
We saw out nearly eight minutes of time allowed with relative ease. Cue massive celebrations from the 1249 Town.
Man of the match for me by a good distance Smith.  He could prove to be Hurst's very best signing.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Hagrid
August 13, 2022, 5:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,517
Gold Stars: 544
Quite the occurance Luke Waterfall last minute winners😂

1st half we were completely outplayed, should have been 3/4 down to be honest. Couldnt get a grip in the middle and there RB who was very very good, had Glennon toast. We made a tactical change and it sured us up until the break.

Second half we looked a much better side with Taylor holding the ball up well and us getting in good positions without really creating. Very hot day so game slowed slightly and understandably. We brought Amos and Kiernan on and we started to grow into the game more as it wore on. Pepple also came on, won the corner and from that Captain Fantastic was there again to spark joyous scenes in the away end

My mom again Andy Smith. Faultless.

Lino on the town fan stand was woeful, so far behind play.

Thats the 1st win, against what i think was a pretty decent side. UTFM. God its hot😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 81
barralad
August 13, 2022, 5:35pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
Admin please merge

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 81
Mariner_501
August 13, 2022, 5:45pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +14 / -8
Approval: +223
Gold Stars: 28
Should have been 2 down in 5 minutes and 3 or 4 down by half time.

But we weren’t and we won so who cares. Great away win
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 81
Mikey_345
August 13, 2022, 5:45pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,576
Gold Stars: 113
First half hour not great but improved as game went on. Thought that we were really good second half and got what we deserved.

Really really impressed with the pressing in the second half. Love to see us wanting to win the ball back that high up the pitch. On another day turning the ball over that high will result in more goals.

Smith was impressive- as ever, he reads the game to a level far beyond his years.

Glennon’s delivery, again, is impressive. Said before I really rate Glennon and would like to see us maybe look at that Amos/Glennon combination down the left abit more.

From having concerns about time it’ll take us to catch up fitness wise, in really tough conditions, we seem to already look on the pace of the rest. Either that or we just have players that’ll just keep running - hardly surprising in a Hurst team.

Interested to see how they all pull up on Tuesday after the conditions today.

Oh and there’s only three things guaranteed in life; death, taxes and Luke Waterfall scoring headers!

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 81
Poojah
August 13, 2022, 5:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,867
Gold Stars: 1,522
Managed to watch bits of the game via my phone from the other side of the pond whilst attempting to entertain my two kids. Wasn’t able to give the game my undivided attention but what stood out was just how good Andy Smith was.

For a lad who looked pretty unremarkable for us in his first game for us at right back, he’s been a revelation ever since. Still only 20; he’ll make it at Championship level at the very least.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 81
WOZOFGRIMSBY
August 13, 2022, 5:47pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,021
Gold Stars: 190

Just back to the bbq after the great win.

Attachment: 27f0604df0d3400eb8ae2eeb54d74a0b_482.jpeg
Size: 108.91 KB

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 81
promotion plaice
August 13, 2022, 5:55pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,082
Gold Stars: 201

Just back home after listening to the game on the radio whilst sitting on Cleethorpes beach, it's buzzing and hot out there.

Great win and 3 points, takes any pressure off now if there was any.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 81
prestonmariner
August 13, 2022, 6:31pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +250
Gold Stars: 3
Underwhelming first half, where we did well to keep Rochdale out with a couple of good blocks and last ditch tackles (one from Efete in particular). I like Wearne, but he looked a bit lost again their little winger, who had him on toast a few times. Cracking effort from Morris just before the break when he hit the bar. Couple of really soft bookings throughout the game, which could have been a nightmare, for Clifton in particular, but he did well to keep battling without ever risking a second. Heat definitely took a toll on us, and understandably so.

Even first ten of the second half, we looked knackered, but played much better football and looked dangerous on the break. Couple of half decent chances, but we were much the better team after the break i thought, and as we always do, caused a threat from set plays, which of course Waterfall took advantage of to bring home the points.

Smith fantastic, second half in particular. MOTM
Morris looked effective and always busy.
Holahan our best player first half.
Comfortable day for Crocombe, and a decent save near the end at an angle.
Glennon looks good even on one of his weaker days, and having Amos on the bench is a huge option for us.
Thought PH may have left subs a little late, considering conditions, but he knows best, and brought on the right players at the right time.

Fantastic support, great atmosphere and a brilliant three points.

Safe journey home everyone

UTM

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 81
Rodley Mariner
August 13, 2022, 6:59pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 180
Not an original point to make in this thread but Andy Smith was absolutely superb.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 81
TAGG
August 13, 2022, 7:06pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,938
Gold Stars: 126
1250 Town fans, absolutely superb.
Safe journey home to you all  

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 81
It Bites
August 13, 2022, 7:19pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,212
Gold Stars: 266
Incredible turn out ( standard)
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 81
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
August 13, 2022, 7:23pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 556
Given the weather, I think our players were expecting a slow, cautious, energy-saving match.

What they got was Stockdale pushing Odoh and Seriki so far forward into positions neither Clifton or Wearne were unwilling or unable to cover. This created overloads against Efete and, in particular, Glennon.

Rodney blocked his own players’ shot, from a cut back to the penalty spot.

Then Waterfall (?) cleared one off the line.

Rochdale then missed countless other chances. Really should have been 5 or 6 nil after 30 mins.

Efete and Waterfall made brilliant last ditch tackles. Holohan should have conceded a penalty for a stupid pull back in the penalty area.

We just about steadied the ship in the final 10 mins of the first half. Morris swirled a 25 yarder on to the middle of the bar.

I don’t know what was said at half-time or whether Rochdale had burnt themselves out but it was pretty even from 45-60 mins. Holohan started to get a grip on the game. Wearne, Clifton and Glennon all showed great character to improve from poor first half performances.

Wearne caught Odoh with a stray hand. Odoh squared up to Wearne a minute later and shoved Wearne in the throat. It was at that point my cover was blown as a Town fan in the Rochdale end.

Odoh, a danger up until then, spent the next 20 mins hoping for a 50:50 against Wearne, making daft decisions and doing needless tricks and stepovers.

The last 20 mins or so, Town were on top. Even more so when Amos came on.

Clifton, Efete and Waterfall all missed decent headed chances. Morris struck a free-kick just wide. Taylor had several nearly moments in the penalty box including one moment where he was desperately hoping someone would clip his heels but ended up just falling over. Clifton and Kiernan also had a few gravity issues.

Pepple chased down a lost cause, tried to walk the ball in and possibly should have had a pen (couldn’t tell from where I was).

Waterfall, who had been his usual menacing presence at the far post all half, pounced and the rest is history.

Waterfall was my MOM even before the late winner.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 81
Mariner56
August 13, 2022, 7:31pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +276
Gold Stars: 3
Well the Rochdale fans were suitably impressed with our performance!

“ What a horrible team the cod heads were ..... dropping like flies, niggly and stooping to whatever tactics necessary to disrupt us. The worst part was Ibbi being unplayable so they kicked him every time they could get near him.”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 81
Limerick Mariner
August 13, 2022, 7:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,744
Gold Stars: 138
I wouldn’t be too concerned about the first quarter. Yes Rochdale could have been out of sight - but that’s why they are bottom of League 2 tonight. For me it was mainly a tactical thing - as said above Wearne and Clifton were to far forward, getting roasted and exposing the full backs. Hurst sorted it at the water break. Nothing much to add to what’s been said above, save that I thought Green was really good again - he’s an absolute grafter and will be a BLundell Park favourite…
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 81
ginnywings
August 13, 2022, 7:34pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Mariner56
Well the Rochdale fans were suitably impressed with our performance!

“ What a horrible team the cod heads were ..... dropping like flies, niggly and stooping to whatever tactics necessary to disrupt us. The worst part was Ibbi being unplayable so they kicked him every time they could get near him.”

Exactly the sort of comments we would be making had we lost to a late winner at home.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 81
Cricklewoodmariner
August 13, 2022, 7:38pm

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / -1
Approval: +322
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Not an original point to make in this thread but Andy Smith was absolutely superb.

My MoM thought he was immense today
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 81
Chrisblor
August 13, 2022, 7:44pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +53 / -18
Approval: +8,969
Gold Stars: 242
Quoted from ginnywings

Exactly the sort of comments we would be making had we lost to a late winner at home.

Also complete nonsense because all of their players went down anytime there was a slight gust of wind, abetted by yet another awful set of officials who couldn't wait to give fouls against town players for nothing more than incidental contact on many occasions.

Thought the fitness levels our players showed today were absolutely superb. The effort levels towards the end of the second half, considering it'd been 30c in blazing sun for the whole afternoon were unbelievable. Definitely got lucky with some of Rochdale's wayward finishing in the first 30 minutes, but after that Hurst's tactical tweaks and a few players upping their game meant we were by far the better side for the rest of the match and finished imo deserved winners. We're being spoiled with the number of late important winners lately, long may it continue.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 81
LH
August 13, 2022, 7:59pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,601
Gold Stars: 177
Winning in the last minute is just as good as winning 5-0 imo and I really enjoyed that!

Definitely a game of two halves - Rochdale not very clinical in the final third and we weren’t getting much into ours. It highlighted to me the need for that other striker/attacker to come in and replace McAtee. Second half much improved and Glennon moving forward was a turning point (his family were sat in front of me and seemed happy with that move). Smith brilliant as others said.

There’s not been much point going to the opening 75 mins of our games for maybe 6 months now - we could all survive this cost of living crisis betting on us to score in that period.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 81
Lost in Lincoln
August 13, 2022, 8:12pm
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +388
Definitely a game of 2 halves!

We were so far off the pace first half, it was ridiculous!  With some composure in front of goal, we could have been 3-0 down easily.  Wearne was letting their 11 get past him far too easily.  That said, we could have gone in ahead after a rocket hit the bar.

2nd half we were much better, and took control of the midfield and snuffed out most of their attacks quite easily.  A cameo from Pepple brought the goal as he drove into the box - they looked excrement scared of him.  The resulting corner hit home by Waterfall who is developing an uncanny knack of being in the right place at the right time.

On balance, I think we can count ourselves a little fortunate to come away with the 3 points, however we didn't deserve to lose.

Happy with the 2nd half improvement, I think there's good times to come from this team.

First game: 7/5/88 Aldershot (h) 1-1 (R)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 19 - 81
Theimperialcoroner
August 13, 2022, 8:23pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,283
Gold Stars: 103
This balderdash law about head injuries needs to change. Once again a weak ref simply give the ball to the defenders at the time of a promising attack. All defenders have to do is go down clutching their heads and it all breaks down. The simple way to stop the cheating element of it is for the drop ball to be for the attacking side at all times. Any cheating would stop in an instant.
Just like VAR though, the FA will think they know better and we’ll be stuck with it.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 81
Chrisblor
August 13, 2022, 8:28pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
This balderdash law about head injuries needs to change. Once again a weak ref simply give the ball to the defenders at the time of a promising attack. All defenders have to do is go down clutching their heads and it all breaks down. The simple way to stop the cheating element of it is for the drop ball to be for the attacking side at all times. Any cheating would stop in an instant.
Just like VAR though, the FA will think they know better and we’ll be stuck with it.

I did enjoy half the away stand screaming at Glennon to hold his head when he'd been on the receiving end of a heavy tackle and was slow to get up with Rochdale still on the attack though.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 81
headingly_mariner
August 13, 2022, 8:44pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 124
excrement game in tough conditions. Great day out and brilliant result.

Smith was spectacular. He looks like a player who is really going to kick on and be an excellent footballer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 81
aldi_01
August 13, 2022, 8:59pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
First half wasn’t great and town looked a bit off it although for all their huff and puff, aside from their own man blocking it, they really couldn’t finish a dinner.

Second half, town clearly had a rocket up them and dare I say, Rochdale didn’t really know how to stop us. When you look at it, Crocombe hasn’t really had to make a save.

Thought Hurst got his subs spot on and whilst Efete and Clifton didn’t have great games, both looked better once the changes happened.

That pairing of Glennon and Amos looks decent in my opinion and is definitely something I’d imagine we’ll see again and again.

Smith is different gravy, Waterfall was solid and second half our midfield were relentless. The fitness levels of our lads, especially in that heat are something else.

Pebble did well to win the corner which led to the goal, we just never give up.

Great first win in crazy heat. Two good home games coming up…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 81
ginnywings
August 13, 2022, 9:01pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from LH
Winning in the last minute is just as good as winning 5-0 imo and I really enjoyed that!

Definitely a game of two halves - Rochdale not very clinical in the final third and we weren’t getting much into ours. It highlighted to me the need for that other striker/attacker to come in and replace McAtee. Second half much improved and Glennon moving forward was a turning point (his family were sat in front of me and seemed happy with that move). Smith brilliant as others said.

There’s not been much point going to the opening 75 mins of our games for maybe 6 months now - we could all survive this cost of living crisis betting on us to score in that period.

Aye.

Four games in and yet to have a striker score a goal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 81
jamesgtfc
August 13, 2022, 9:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Poojah
Managed to watch bits of the game via my phone from the other side of the pond whilst attempting to entertain my two kids. Wasn’t able to give the game my undivided attention but what stood out was just how good Andy Smith was.

For a lad who looked pretty unremarkable for us in his first game for us at right back, he’s been a revelation ever since. Still only 20; he’ll make it at Championship level at the very least.

Smith did an alright job in his first couple of games at right back when he was an unknown quantity but then it became apparent that the opposition knew he was a centre back playing out of position but I'm sure he learned a lot during that spell. We should also remember in about March that Shaun Pearson and Luke Waterfall were playing really well together and Hurst decided it was only fair for Smith to get some minutes. Full credit to Smith who grasped that opportunity with both hands, made himself undroppable and has seemingly gone up another notch this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 81
marinerjase
August 13, 2022, 9:31pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,682
Gold Stars: 147
Didn’t go but watched via tv - it looked like we didn’t get going, should’ve been 2 down at half time. We looked the better side second half, again without hitting our straps. For me Clifton struggled today, Morris doesn’t get much praise but did well, other than the ball Smith let go over his head from the keeper he didn’t put a foot wrong, absolutely ridiculous booking btw..Waterfall great leader again..even before the goal..Crocombe was 👌, Efete had his hands full with their no 11 who was excellent, as did Wearne. Think you can tell from PH’s interview they had a blast at them half time - they came out and responded, and you can also tell from his tone how happy he was at that response. Building that unity as a squad..again. Him and his team are great at doing it..he’s a bloody great manager for us.

The only thing I do feel we need is someone else up top..another option..Taylor gets isolated, but we all know we need that. The effort and commitment from all the squad has been outstanding..still feel we’ll improve.

Real good feeling about the club and it’s not stopping, on and off pitch. We’ve a manager and squad to be proud of..and they get the backing they deserve by an amazing amount of away support…1249 across the Pennines..with train strikes..cost of living etc..that’s some following. 👏

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 81
chipsandgravy
August 13, 2022, 9:36pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Approval: +3,631
Gold Stars: 38
My view on today:-
Difficult first half and a massive bonus we were still in it at half time. Tactically we got it wrong.
Better second half without ever being fluent.
Smith - different gravy!
Love the fact that we can dig in as a team in a league that is clearly a step up!
Three games in and think we can more than hold our own if we can just sign that elusive striker!
Great support. Happy to be a Mariner!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 81
August 13, 2022, 9:37pm
Guest User
This is a genuine question, and I am not having a dig at anyone.  I would just like to know why we keep playing a CM on the LW, it showed today when Clifton got into a good position, but his attempted crosses with his left foot were woeful?
Reply: 28 - 81
aldi_01
August 13, 2022, 9:46pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 123614
This is a genuine question, and I am not having a dig at anyone.  I would just like to know why we keep playing a CM on the LW, it showed today when Clifton got into a good position, but his attempted crosses with his left foot were woeful?

I suspect Clifton gets picked because of work rate his defensive abilities. I agree that his crossing is not much better than school boy stuff.

Perhaps we don’t see other aspects that Hurst expects, today I thought he struggled until he was pushed inside. Conversely, the Glennon/Amos partnership down that side is decent and they both get it. They embrace it which is great to see…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 81
toontown
August 13, 2022, 9:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
We were utterly outclassed first half and on the occasions we did have possession we didn't get it down and keep it but panicked and quickly hoofed it forward, lost the ball and were on the back foot again. Amazed they didn't see the game out in that first half. Having said that the strike of the game was from Morris cannoning off the cross bar and we nearly went in a goal up.

2nd half was much improved but that was from such a low level that we still were pretty mediocre, nothing stuck up front really, but we had neutered their threat. Waterfall was winning headers at set pieces tho.

Last minute pepple goes through and nearly makes a hero of himself and then the set piece came off that had threatened to all game. This time instead of winning it at the back post as he had been doing he was nearer the front post I think and does it again!  Total smash and grab but probably makes up forbthe Northampton game really. We'll done the town players who just kept going and going in what was exceptionally hot conditions.

We are dangerous from set pieces that's for sure and with holohan, morris and green we have players who can have a pop from distance but we definitely need to see more from our 'normal' open play threat. That search for a striker looks crucial, but I guess that's what lots of teams would say.

Have to say the town fans were magnificent again as always, with the train strikes and cost of living at the mo the turnout was tremendous and gave the team phenomenal vocal backing throughout. Must have felt like an away game for their players in terms of atmosphere, and it obviously helped ours to keep going right to the last.

Last late goals are the best and we are getting really spoilt with them these days, not a coincidence I'm sure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 81
headingly_mariner
August 13, 2022, 9:58pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 124
Fair play to the town fan who man marked the Lino in the heat. Top effort!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 81
AndyGTFC
August 13, 2022, 10:14pm

Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +804
Gold Stars: 5
Great three points. Gotta love a last minute winner. Definitely second best by a considerable margin in the first half an hour but we got better as it wore on and while were never amazing by any means kept going until the end once again which is a trademark of this side.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 81
Wiley2405
August 13, 2022, 11:02pm
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +663
Gold Stars: 20
Amos and Glennon looked brilliant down the left. Embraced each other as soon as Amos came on and it really worked. Not saying that partnership is the way forward but I wouldn’t be disappointed if I saw them both starting in the coming weeks.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 81
Poojah
August 13, 2022, 11:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,867
Gold Stars: 1,522
Quoted from Wiley2405
Amos and Glennon looked brilliant down the left. Embraced each other as soon as Amos came on and it really worked. Not saying that partnership is the way forward but I wouldn’t be disappointed if I saw them both starting in the coming weeks.

For a man much maligned got his substitutions in the past, Hursts decision making on that front in recent times has been absolutely faultless.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 81
Wiley2405
August 13, 2022, 11:22pm
Table Wine Drinker
Approval: +663
Gold Stars: 20
Quoted from Poojah

For a man much maligned got his substitutions in the past, Hursts decision making on that front in recent times has been absolutely faultless.

He also utilized the drinks break in the first half well once he had the team together seemed to sort out some of the issues we were having down both flanks. Managed to hold out till half time then came out the 2nd half and we coped much better.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 81
monkeyboy
August 13, 2022, 11:30pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
If Clifton is there for his defensive duty surely glennan would be a better choice down the wing? He’s a defender so should be good at defending. Plus his crossing abilities are much better.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 81
Limerick Mariner
August 13, 2022, 11:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Yep, the amount of work he and the coaching team have done in a just a few weeks since the final is phenomenal- he can’t have add much more two weeks off in the last 15 months. Next week he’ll be interviewing for Head of Recruitment Analysis.

And of course the harder he and his team work, the luckier we get…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 81
livosnose
August 14, 2022, 5:14am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,185
Gold Stars: 16
Smith will almost certainly play in the prem if not England . Class

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 81
aldi_01
August 14, 2022, 7:51am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Football fans are odd buggers. Literally a minute after half time, having shown we’d had a rocket up us and were taking the game to Rochdale, folk around me were already moaning about substitutions…it’s almost like they don’t want to acknowledge that since about February Hursts subs have been impactful and necessary, not to mention got us promoted essentially.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 81
aldi_01
August 14, 2022, 7:51am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from livosnose

Gonna stick my neck out but I’d argue he’s better than Bennett…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 81
MuddyWaters
August 14, 2022, 8:26am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from livosnose

But, apparently only worth 5 out of 10 in the Telegraph player ratings. 🤦‍♂️
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 81
LH
August 14, 2022, 8:40am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,601
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from MuddyWaters

That is 100% clickbaity balderdash. One person sees it and tells everyone and then go on to see if it’s true. Clicks = revenue. There’s not a single person who was there yesterday who’d give Smith less than an 8. It’s sad to say but it’s time to let the Telegraph die.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 81
IlkleyMariner
August 14, 2022, 9:16am
Champagne Drinker
Approval: +3,034
Gold Stars: 69
Some good comments about the game which pretty well sum things up.
Would add that I felt confident that Crocombe would catch the ball whenever in his domain.
Effete as up against a very tricky fast winger and was not the attacking threat I’d hoped for.
Should also congratulate young Pepple for setting up the corner which resulted in the goal. Good substitute from Hurst to freshen up the last few minutes.

Nice pie and peas too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 81
bradzmilne
August 14, 2022, 9:18am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,433
Gold Stars: 30
You can't underestimate the impact of winning a game in that sort of fashion. For what it is worth, I didn't think we were at our best by a long stretch but the table shows we got 3 points and Rochdale didn't. I thought the game really changed when Amos came on for Harry. I said it in the week and I stand by it...  For Harry's undoubted qualities, if we're trying to really take the game to a team - you're perhaps better off with someone else.

Smith deserves all the plaudits he is getting, one of our best CB's in recent times. There's absolutely no way he couldn't already be playing Championship football. Going to be really interesting what happens with Maher on his return, as I've only heard excellent things about him too.

Congratulations to all of those on Luke Waterfall, first goalscorer... I'm not a gambler myself but 18-1 on some sites, I was told!

As Jurgen Klopp says "mentality monsters".

UTM

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 81
ska face
August 14, 2022, 9:24am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,811
Gold Stars: 852
Not much to disagree with here. Thought Crocombe had another really good game - he’s a safe pair of hands in the 6-yard box which really takes the pressure off the defence, and we don’t end up having to defend another phase from a cross being punched out. He’ll get better as the season goes on.

Good that Hurst acknowledged the set up wasn’t working in the first 25 and changed it, we certainly came into to the match after that point.

Thought Clifton was well off it yesterday, constantly lost the ball, beaten too easily and was wasteful in good positions. Wouldn’t be against seeing Glennon up there, whatever you might lose in workrate you’ll probably make up for ten times over in better quality balls into the box and better passing into the frontmen.

Another thumbs up for the stewards who were all decent and dealt with the away fans well, nobody wading in to satisfy their ego, marshalled the idiots easily enough.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 81
Lost in Lincoln
August 14, 2022, 9:26am
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from LH

That is 100% clickbaity balderdash. One person sees it and tells everyone and then go on to see if it’s true. Clicks = revenue. There’s not a single person who was there yesterday who’d give Smith less than an 8. It’s sad to say but it’s time to let the Telegraph die.

He had a good game, but did get caught out a couple of times, mis-timing the flight of the ball, notably in the 2nd half, which set p a chance for them.  Not dissimilar to Northampton's goal last week

He's only young though, so he will learn.  His overall positioning/anticipation is very good, and I especially like the fact that he stays on his feet and doesn't dive in.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 46 - 81
goldenfish
August 14, 2022, 9:27am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +212
Gold Stars: 16
Credit to hurst too , who like us all , recognised their wing backs had acres and we needed to tighten up on them , and press slightly higher up the pitch … once we did that , we pretty much controlled the second half … excellent effort  by  all , fans included who sensed a winner and really backed the lads … rode out luck , but that’s needed now and again … Brilliant day , sun shine , last minute winner , scunny get beat and listen to Brentford pump Utd on the way home ….
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 81
GYinScuntland
August 14, 2022, 10:18am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,253
Gold Stars: 98
A textbook awayday.
Cracking result coupled with meeting friends from Northern Ireland that I've not seen since all that covid palaver.
Really enjoyed it.
I didn't even stress with all the train cancellations that gave me the best part of an hour in the Sheffield Tap then a paid for taxi from Dumpcaster to Scunthorpe arriving home at midnight.
Hoping to make Wallsall, definitely Newport.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 81
August 14, 2022, 10:25am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from ska face
Not much to disagree with here. Thought Crocombe had another really good game - he’s a safe pair of hands in the 6-yard box which really takes the pressure off the defence, and we don’t end up having to defend another phase from a cross being punched out. He’ll get better as the season goes on.

I’m not saying Crocombe is perfect but it helps my blood pressure knowing that anything that’s lofted into the six yard box is going to be Crocombe’s, he’s going to catch it and keep hold of it too. Makes life a lot easier for our outfield players at set pieces.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 81
aldi_01
August 14, 2022, 10:36am

Barley Wine Drinker

I’m not saying Crocombe is perfect but it helps my blood pressure knowing that anything that’s lofted into the six yard box is going to be Crocombe’s, he’s going to catch it and keep hold of it too. Makes life a lot easier for our outfield players at set pieces.

He came for a ball really late on after we’d gone one up, he took it and slowed the game down. Confidently, and calmly. At no point did I think he’d intercourse it up. That’s a greater feeling as a fan. I liked Macca a lot but this happened few and far between…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 81
August 14, 2022, 10:36am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from LH

I would have given Smith less than 8. And so would Doig. Five was far too harsh though.

Agree with Lost In Lincoln; Smith and Glennon were caught out on more than one occasion in the first half - ball watching. Doig told them both so in no uncertain terms at the drinks break - I was in earshot of it.

Smith did lose the flight of the ball a couple of times in the second half. For instance, when Henderson checked back inside of him after Smith had misjudged the ball. Luckily Henderson scooped it over the bar.

There was last week’s error too. And the two against against Notts County in the playoffs.

As I said last week, Smith’s a great prospect. Not 21 until next month. Good on the ball, plays on the front foot. League 2 is toughening him up.

We are very lucky to have him and I love him to bits - particularly as his new haircut makes him look a bit like an alpaca. However, he’s a long way off Championship standard at present. Talk of the Premier League or England is very premature. He needs to work on his concentration because when Smith is on it, he’s a classy, modern CB.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 81
DB
August 14, 2022, 12:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,056
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from MuddyWaters

My own solution to the GT Sport is that I don't read it. Many years ago it was excellent but those days have gone years ago, all the input comes from Towns website or The Fishy. The days of journalists going out and digging out news are more or less gone. Even the 'May' story came from a tip!

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 81
toontown
August 14, 2022, 12:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70

I would have given Smith less than 8. And so would Doig. Five was far too harsh though.

Agree with Lost In Lincoln; Smith and Glennon were caught out on more than one occasion in the first half - ball watching. Doig told them both so in no uncertain terms at the drinks break - I was in earshot of it.

Smith did lose the flight of the ball a couple of times in the second half. For instance, when Henderson checked back inside of him after Smith had misjudged the ball. Luckily Henderson scooped it over the bar.

There was last week’s error too. And the two against against Notts County in the playoffs.

As I said last week, Smith’s a great prospect. Not 21 until next month. Good on the ball, plays on the front foot. League 2 is toughening him up.

We are very lucky to have him and I love him to bits - particularly as his new haircut makes him look a bit like an alpaca. However, he’s a long way off Championship standard at present. Talk of the Premier League or England is very premature. He needs to work on his concentration because when Smith is on it, he’s a classy, modern CB.

Agree with all of that, Smith is a fantastic prospect and very good at this level right now but the championship is an absolute world away from league 2, nevermind the prem.

He was mostly very good yesterday,won some great stuff,but he did have a couple of hiccups too, just as you'd expect any player to have from time to time. He's clearly going to get better and better though and I'd be amazed if he didn't play championship level some day and I think premiership is achievable for him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 81
HerveJosse
August 14, 2022, 1:02pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,204
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from monkeyboy
If Clifton is there for his defensive duty surely glennan would be a better choice down the wing? He’s a defender so should be good at defending. Plus his crossing abilities are much better.

I think Harry is going to struggle to retain his place now we have so many other options wide in midfield . Passing ,crossing and shooting not good enough no one can fault his work rate but we have a team of workers now who are also better at the other aspects
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 81
aldi_01
August 14, 2022, 1:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse

I think Harry is going to struggle to retain his place now we have so many other options wide in midfield . Passing ,crossing and shooting not good enough no one can fault his work rate but we have a team of workers now who are also better at the other aspects

No fault in his work rate or attitude but much like before, I just don’t think he’s good enough to be anything other than a bit part player, unless he’s played down the middle which is unlikely to be regularly….

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 81
Lost in Lincoln
August 14, 2022, 3:05pm
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

No fault in his work rate or attitude but much like before, I just don’t think he’s good enough to be anything other than a bit part player, unless he’s played down the middle which is unlikely to be regularly….

I've said for a while, as have others, that he's not a left winger in a million years. He works hard yes, but his end product is too often sub standard.

Not knocking the lad, I just think he's a victim of his own versatility.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 56 - 81
Son of Cod
August 14, 2022, 3:36pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196

Yeah agreed Glennon had his hands full with Seriki down their right hand, he was a constant menace in the first half and was perhaps fortunate to not be punished.

My thoughts overall though were that Rochdale were banking on scoring early and although we rode our luck you have to say that playing with that kind of intensity in that heat was naive from Stockdale. We were patient and grew into the match. Dug our heels in at times as we absolutely had to. Hurst got his subs bang on again though and we got our rewards with yet again another late goal. I'd bet good money that there isn't another side in the top five or six levels of football in England that has taken as many points in the last 5 minutes plus injury time as we have over the last year or so. This lot go until the end week in week out and that certainly won't be the last time we see Glennon putting the ball onto Waterfall's head this season.

1-0 away win, absolutely classic Paul Hurst result. Bet he was buzzing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 81
pen penfras
August 14, 2022, 4:41pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Son of Cod

Yeah agreed Glennon had his hands full with Seriki down their right hand, he was a constant menace in the first half and was perhaps fortunate to not be punished.

My thoughts overall though were that Rochdale were banking on scoring early and although we rode our luck you have to say that playing with that kind of intensity in that heat was naive from Stockdale. We were patient and grew into the match. Dug our heels in at times as we absolutely had to. Hurst got his subs bang on again though and we got our rewards with yet again another late goal. I'd bet good money that there isn't another side in the top five or six levels of football in England that has taken as many points in the last 5 minutes plus injury time as we have over the last year or so. This lot go until the end week in week out and that certainly won't be the last time we see Glennon putting the ball onto Waterfall's head this season.

1-0 away win, absolutely classic Paul Hurst result. Bet he was buzzing.

But if they scored the goals they should have in that first 30 minutes, they'd have been out of sight and able to sit back. It's not Stockdale's fault that Henderson and others were woeful in front of goal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 81
Son of Cod
August 14, 2022, 4:46pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from pen penfras

But if they scored the goals they should have in that first 30 minutes, they'd have been out of sight and able to sit back. It's not Stockdale's fault that Henderson and others were woeful in front of goal.

Oh yeah of course, but they didn't score and then had little in the tank left for the second half, hence it being a naive plan in my opinion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 81
Mariner_09
August 14, 2022, 5:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from pen penfras

There’s a lot be said for Hursty’s strategy of keeping us shape and staying in games in this league. I’ve said numerous times before but given how tight this league is, with so little between a lot of the teams, keeping them out and being a threat from set pieces will win us a lot of points. Especially given how fit and how hard the midfield in particular works. Once Green shakes off this knock he’s playing with, he’s going to be a world beater at this level. Holohan looks a different animal with a full Hursty pre season behind him and Morris looks to have more time and quality with every passing game.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 81
IlkleyMariner
August 14, 2022, 6:03pm
Champagne Drinker
In the late 1960s and early 1970s Liverpool used to soak up pressure for 85 minutes, score late and win 1-0. Seemed to work for them ok.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 81
Grantham_Mariner
August 14, 2022, 6:06pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,204
Gold Stars: 51
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
In the late 1960s and early 1970s Liverpool used to soak up pressure for 85 minutes, score late and win 1-0. Seemed to work for them ok.

Yes, but Arsenal used to go all out, score early, close up shop and win 1 - 0    

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 81
Southwark Mariner
August 14, 2022, 6:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,562
Gold Stars: 83
I guess the common factor here is winning!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 81
rancido
August 14, 2022, 6:49pm

Special Brew Drinker
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,659
Gold Stars: 101
Quoted from ska face

Good that Hurst acknowledged the set up wasn’t working in the first 25 and changed it, we certainly came into to the match after that point.

Thought Clifton was well off it yesterday, constantly lost the ball, beaten too easily and was wasteful in good positions. Wouldn’t be against seeing Glennon up there, whatever you might lose in workrate you’ll probably make up for ten times over in better quality balls into the box and better passing into the frontmen.

Another thumbs up for the stewards who were all decent and dealt with the away fans well, nobody wading in to satisfy their ego, marshalled the idiots easily enough.

I never saw the game either live or on TV. As a consequence I can only go by what has been posted by those who saw it. SkaFace makes a very good point in PH's ability to read the game, see what's going wrong and know which players to introduce to rectify this. We have a large  versatile squad and PH knows all their strengths,weaknesses and their best roles. IMHO he is a far better manager than the PH who came to the club all those years ago.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 81
fishcake63
August 14, 2022, 7:56pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
For 25 mins yesterday i thought this is as bad as we've been for ages reminded me of tranmere away under hollohead , yhe differance we kept in the game changed tactically & in waterfall we have somebody who's stats are stupid for this level , chuck in smith who will play for hull or better soon & glennons setplay delivery , summing up we will be top half at least
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 81
pen penfras
August 14, 2022, 8:41pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
A lot of praise for Smith who was pretty poor the first 20 minutes. He was very good after that, except misjudging that long ball, but on another day they score 3 of those chances and he gets slated.

Certainly a long way from the Championship right now. He might make it, he has the assets, but Championship defenders don't make as many mistakes as he has in 3 games so far.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 81
Chrisblor
August 14, 2022, 9:36pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Very good angle on matchday moments showing Pebble was clearly fouled by the Rochdale defender before the ball went out for the corner we scored from. It actually should have been a goal kick since the Rochdale player didn't get a touch on it at all. Would have rounded off the ref's day superbly if we hadn't fortunately scored from the corner he incorrectly awarded us instead of a penalty.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 81
Limerick Mariner
August 14, 2022, 11:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from It Bites
Incredible turn out ( standard)

When I looked at the fixtures when they came out I thought Saturday would be one our biggest away followings across the Pennines for a league game for years, thinking the TPE would be packed and it would be over 2k.

Relatively speaking 1,250 was actually outstanding - the biggest in League 2 by 500 above Crewe who had a short trip to Salford, 4th highest in Leagues 1 and 2 and then only just beaten by Barnsley who had a 60 mile trip to Derby, and better than 4 in the championship. This winter is going to be really, really tough for alot of people and this shambolic government will do feck all about it. I'm sure many will have to pick and choose their games more than they would like but I'm also sure our fans will continue to be amazing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 81
GyMariner
August 14, 2022, 11:15pm

Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +9 / -5
Approval: +690
It’s irrelevant how good our substitutes were or how well we managed the game. It was absolute pure luck that we didn’t go into half time 5-0 down. Anyone that says otherwise is trying to sugar coat the situation. I’m not saying it wasn’t a good win, it was a great win. We rode our luck massively, it wasn’t tactical at all.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 81
oochiad
August 14, 2022, 11:25pm
Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,724
Gold Stars: 28
Well I did go and I disagree, no way they had five clear cut chances. We also hit the bar ffs, that was closer than half their chances. Let’s keep things realistic.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 81
GyMariner
August 14, 2022, 11:58pm

Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +9 / -5
Approval: +690
Quoted from oochiad
Well I did go and I disagree, no way they had five clear cut chances. We also hit the bar ffs, that was closer than half their chances. Let’s keep things realistic.

I’m not going to argue on how ‘clear cut’ the chances were. Anyone with a decent set of eyes would see that we were very lucky not to go into half time several goals down. I watched the game on MarinersTV so was understandably a better view. All I’m saying is, let’s not sugar coat the game as a tactical master-class or shrewd substitutions. We absolutely rode our luck and nicked a late winner. I think PH eluded towards this in his post match interview. Was a great 3 points netherless  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 81
IlkleyMariner
August 15, 2022, 5:46am
Champagne Drinker
I was there and had a good view
Don’t think we would have been 5-0 down at half time but whether it was 2-0 or 3-0 or 4-0 at half time think we would have lost irrespective of substitutions
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 81
Lost in Lincoln
August 15, 2022, 8:56am
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from GyMariner

I’m not going to argue on how ‘clear cut’ the chances were. Anyone with a decent set of eyes would see that we were very lucky not to go into half time several goals down. I watched the game on MarinersTV so was understandably a better view. All I’m saying is, let’s not sugar coat the game as a tactical master-class or shrewd substitutions. We absolutely rode our luck and nicked a late winner. I think PH eluded towards this in his post match interview. Was a great 3 points netherless  

As much as some are 'sugar coating' it, you are 'excrement coating it'.

Yes, they had 3 good chances in the first half (no idea where you got 5 from), but they didn't take any of them.  How many times has the shoe been on the other foot?  Exeter under Hollowhead springs to mind, and that was put down as a 'classic away smash and grab'.

Yes they had chances and yes the game could have been over at HT.  But it wasn't.  Far too many times in the past, we'd have carried on in the same vein in the 2nd half, awaiting the inevitable.  Instead, changes were made and we took control of the game.  Sometimes you make your own luck in this game.

I'm not getting carried away over the result, as much as I wasn't depressed over Orient.  It's a 46 game season, anyone who thinks we aren't going have to ride our luck at times is deluded.  I will also guarantee you that we will play much better than that and lose.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 73 - 81
aldi_01
August 15, 2022, 9:05am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GyMariner

Could argue we rode our luck but aside from their own player clearing it off the line, our keeper hasn’t made a save. They couldn’t finish a dinner so I guess it very much depends on your interpretation of clear cut.

Our shift in shape and the subs naturally influenced the game. Hurst has been maligned over his time for being predictable with subs yet here we are again with changes impacting the game for the greater good.

I’ve no doubt that this morning in training they’ll be looking at how easy it was for them to carve us open at times but equally, teams that win games often teeter on the edge and run risks…we did, we won. We can cry bottom and make a big deal about how many alleged chances Rochdale had but I’m sure if you spoke to their manager and fans they’d rather have done what we did than what they did…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 81
Mariner_09
August 15, 2022, 11:26am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from oochiad

Plus, Crocombe didn’t actually have a save to make, although he caught crosses very well. Not saying we didn’t ride our luck, we did to a certain extent and better sides will punish us. However, I think 3 of the 4 games so far have demonstrated how strikers are at such a premium at this level and it’s certainly not us who’s looking for one. Orient had a loads of openings in the first 20 minutes and only went ahead in the second half courtesy of a dodgy pen and a wonder strike, against Northampton we couldn’t put away a chance for love nor money until right and the end and then Rochdale with a half decent striker would’ve been 2-0 up after 15 mins. I think Orsi coming into the team or signing a slightly more mobile and bigger goal threat version of Taylor could make a significant difference in this league.

Don’t think that was the last time either we get dominated for 20-30 mins or we dominate someone for a similar period but can’t find a goal. It already seems like a feature in this league.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 81
pontoonlew
August 15, 2022, 12:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
Quoted from Chrisblor
Very good angle on matchday moments showing Pebble was clearly fouled by the Rochdale defender before the ball went out for the corner we scored from. It actually should have been a goal kick since the Rochdale player didn't get a touch on it at all. Would have rounded off the ref's day superbly if we hadn't fortunately scored from the corner he incorrectly awarded us instead of a penalty.

Thank god both that and the Notts County one went in after we had stone wall pens denied in the build up.

Thinking back, I can’t remember the last game where a refereeing howler was for us and not against. Notts County, Wrexham, Solihull, Northampton and Rochdale all had incidents of gross refereeing and not once in our favour. That’s 5 of our last 7 games too which is a damning insight into the refs in this country too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 81
Chrisblor
August 15, 2022, 12:31pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
tbf in that Wrexham match alone we had Crocombe getting away with almost decapitating an opposition player, and Smith obstructing a defender at the long throw-in which allowed Waterfall's free header for the winner

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 81
August 15, 2022, 1:58pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from pontoonlew

Thank god both that and the Notts County one went in after we had stone wall pens denied in the build up.

Thinking back, I can’t remember the last game where a refereeing howler was for us and not against. Notts County, Wrexham, Solihull, Northampton and Rochdale all had incidents of gross refereeing and not once in our favour. That’s 5 of our last 7 games too which is a damning insight into the refs in this country too.

I’ve watched that Pepple challenge about 20 times and I’m still none the wiser whether it was a foul or not. The ball gets caught under his feet and then squirts off to the left. It looks like Seriki doesn’t touch the ball, barges into Pepple and the ball shanks wide off Pepple’s standing foot.

If I can’t be sure from a replay, it’s very tricky for the ref in real time. Given the direction the ball went you would have to side with the defender, if you weren’t sure. It can’t be described as gross refereeing.

Rochdale should have had a pen in the first half when Holohan flung their player down in the box at a throw in. Clifton’s yellow was probably an orange - premeditated, late, high, out of control, studs up. He then had gravity issues twice after that - once in the first half in their penalty area and once in the second, when he was going down before the tackle came in - before Morris’ free kick.

Notts Co incident - again, very difficult for the ref to look at the incident and the pitch marking at the same time to be sure it was in the box (it was). Cropper handball was a pen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 81
GhostDan
August 15, 2022, 2:30pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +984
Gold Stars: 12
Like Knut says above,  I was at the game and watched the replays many times since and there's no chance anybody can call that for sure. I don't recall Pebble complaining that much?

Quite funny how in the build up to that, both of Pebbles first touches led to a tackle & he just bulldozed his way through.  Looks really raw to me but nonetheless, big strong lad and not afraid to use it - hopefully the rest will come.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 81
AussieMariner
August 15, 2022, 5:52pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,076
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from GhostDan
Like Knut says above,  I was at the game and watched the replays many times since and there's no chance anybody can call that for sure. I don't recall Pebble complaining that much?

Quite funny how in the build up to that, both of Pebbles first touches led to a tackle & he just bulldozed his way through.  Looks really raw to me but nonetheless, big strong lad and not afraid to use it - hopefully the rest will come.

Bringing Pepple on for Harry at 87 mins was a very attacking substitution - and it worked.
Live at the game I thought he’d mis controlled it just before running onto it and being brought down but you’re right, it was the tackle that forced the ball out and he just kept going drawing the next tackle resulting in the ‘corner’ - whatever actually happened he definitely gave the defenders something new to think about.
Nice to see the other players, Waterfall in particular, welcoming him into the celebrations even though he was clearly a bit unsure of himself - very different to Kane’s treatment of Richarlison 😀
Feel a bit sorry for Essell - he must have been hoping to play the role of the raw youngster on the fringe of the first team
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 81
forza ivano
August 15, 2022, 7:40pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,284
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from AussieMariner

Bringing Pepple on for Harry at 87 mins was a very attacking substitution - and it worked.

Nice to see the other players, Waterfall in particular, welcoming him into the celebrations even though he was clearly a bit unsure of himself - very different to Kane’s treatment of Richarlison 😀
Feel a bit sorry for Essell - he must have been hoping to play the role of the raw youngster on the fringe of the first team

I'm rather hoping Essel goes out on loan to someone half decent.
On the debate re the midfield I wouldn't be surprised to see Khouri getting a chance. He seems to have done well in the friendlies he played in and  from the highlights he looked to have made a good impact v Crewe

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 81
9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back  (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.