Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back  (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 262 Guests

Just Back  (merged)

This thread currently has 12,483 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Mariner_09
August 14, 2022, 5:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from pen penfras

But if they scored the goals they should have in that first 30 minutes, they'd have been out of sight and able to sit back. It's not Stockdale's fault that Henderson and others were woeful in front of goal.

There’s a lot be said for Hursty’s strategy of keeping us shape and staying in games in this league. I’ve said numerous times before but given how tight this league is, with so little between a lot of the teams, keeping them out and being a threat from set pieces will win us a lot of points. Especially given how fit and how hard the midfield in particular works. Once Green shakes off this knock he’s playing with, he’s going to be a world beater at this level. Holohan looks a different animal with a full Hursty pre season behind him and Morris looks to have more time and quality with every passing game.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 81
IlkleyMariner
August 14, 2022, 6:03pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,034
Gold Stars: 69
In the late 1960s and early 1970s Liverpool used to soak up pressure for 85 minutes, score late and win 1-0. Seemed to work for them ok.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 81
Grantham_Mariner
August 14, 2022, 6:06pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,204
Gold Stars: 51
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
In the late 1960s and early 1970s Liverpool used to soak up pressure for 85 minutes, score late and win 1-0. Seemed to work for them ok.

Yes, but Arsenal used to go all out, score early, close up shop and win 1 - 0    

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 81
Southwark Mariner
August 14, 2022, 6:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,562
Gold Stars: 83
I guess the common factor here is winning!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 81
rancido
August 14, 2022, 6:49pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,661
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from ska face
Not much to disagree with here. Thought Crocombe had another really good game - he’s a safe pair of hands in the 6-yard box which really takes the pressure off the defence, and we don’t end up having to defend another phase from a cross being punched out. He’ll get better as the season goes on.

Good that Hurst acknowledged the set up wasn’t working in the first 25 and changed it, we certainly came into to the match after that point.

Thought Clifton was well off it yesterday, constantly lost the ball, beaten too easily and was wasteful in good positions. Wouldn’t be against seeing Glennon up there, whatever you might lose in workrate you’ll probably make up for ten times over in better quality balls into the box and better passing into the frontmen.

Another thumbs up for the stewards who were all decent and dealt with the away fans well, nobody wading in to satisfy their ego, marshalled the idiots easily enough.

I never saw the game either live or on TV. As a consequence I can only go by what has been posted by those who saw it. SkaFace makes a very good point in PH's ability to read the game, see what's going wrong and know which players to introduce to rectify this. We have a large  versatile squad and PH knows all their strengths,weaknesses and their best roles. IMHO he is a far better manager than the PH who came to the club all those years ago.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 81
fishcake63
August 14, 2022, 7:56pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
For 25 mins yesterday i thought this is as bad as we've been for ages reminded me of tranmere away under hollohead , yhe differance we kept in the game changed tactically & in waterfall we have somebody who's stats are stupid for this level , chuck in smith who will play for hull or better soon & glennons setplay delivery , summing up we will be top half at least
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 81
pen penfras
August 14, 2022, 8:41pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
A lot of praise for Smith who was pretty poor the first 20 minutes. He was very good after that, except misjudging that long ball, but on another day they score 3 of those chances and he gets slated.

Certainly a long way from the Championship right now. He might make it, he has the assets, but Championship defenders don't make as many mistakes as he has in 3 games so far.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 81
Chrisblor
August 14, 2022, 9:36pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +53 / -18
Approval: +8,970
Gold Stars: 242
Very good angle on matchday moments showing Pebble was clearly fouled by the Rochdale defender before the ball went out for the corner we scored from. It actually should have been a goal kick since the Rochdale player didn't get a touch on it at all. Would have rounded off the ref's day superbly if we hadn't fortunately scored from the corner he incorrectly awarded us instead of a penalty.

gary jones
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 81
Limerick Mariner
August 14, 2022, 11:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,751
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from It Bites
Incredible turn out ( standard)

When I looked at the fixtures when they came out I thought Saturday would be one our biggest away followings across the Pennines for a league game for years, thinking the TPE would be packed and it would be over 2k.

Relatively speaking 1,250 was actually outstanding - the biggest in League 2 by 500 above Crewe who had a short trip to Salford, 4th highest in Leagues 1 and 2 and then only just beaten by Barnsley who had a 60 mile trip to Derby, and better than 4 in the championship. This winter is going to be really, really tough for alot of people and this shambolic government will do feck all about it. I'm sure many will have to pick and choose their games more than they would like but I'm also sure our fans will continue to be amazing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 81
GyMariner
August 14, 2022, 11:15pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +9 / -5
Approval: +690
Gold Stars: 7
It’s irrelevant how good our substitutes were or how well we managed the game. It was absolute pure luck that we didn’t go into half time 5-0 down. Anyone that says otherwise is trying to sugar coat the situation. I’m not saying it wasn’t a good win, it was a great win. We rode our luck massively, it wasn’t tactical at all.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 81
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back  (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.