Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back  (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
Baidu Spider and 252 Guests

Just Back  (merged)

This thread currently has 12,481 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
aldi_01
August 14, 2022, 10:36am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473

I’m not saying Crocombe is perfect but it helps my blood pressure knowing that anything that’s lofted into the six yard box is going to be Crocombe’s, he’s going to catch it and keep hold of it too. Makes life a lot easier for our outfield players at set pieces.

He came for a ball really late on after we’d gone one up, he took it and slowed the game down. Confidently, and calmly. At no point did I think he’d intercourse it up. That’s a greater feeling as a fan. I liked Macca a lot but this happened few and far between…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 81
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
August 14, 2022, 10:36am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 556
Quoted from LH

That is 100% clickbaity balderdash. One person sees it and tells everyone and then go on to see if it’s true. Clicks = revenue. There’s not a single person who was there yesterday who’d give Smith less than an 8. It’s sad to say but it’s time to let the Telegraph die.

I would have given Smith less than 8. And so would Doig. Five was far too harsh though.

Agree with Lost In Lincoln; Smith and Glennon were caught out on more than one occasion in the first half - ball watching. Doig told them both so in no uncertain terms at the drinks break - I was in earshot of it.

Smith did lose the flight of the ball a couple of times in the second half. For instance, when Henderson checked back inside of him after Smith had misjudged the ball. Luckily Henderson scooped it over the bar.

There was last week’s error too. And the two against against Notts County in the playoffs.

As I said last week, Smith’s a great prospect. Not 21 until next month. Good on the ball, plays on the front foot. League 2 is toughening him up.

We are very lucky to have him and I love him to bits - particularly as his new haircut makes him look a bit like an alpaca. However, he’s a long way off Championship standard at present. Talk of the Premier League or England is very premature. He needs to work on his concentration because when Smith is on it, he’s a classy, modern CB.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 81
DB
August 14, 2022, 12:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,054
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from MuddyWaters

But, apparently only worth 5 out of 10 in the Telegraph player ratings. 🤦‍♂️

My own solution to the GT Sport is that I don't read it. Many years ago it was excellent but those days have gone years ago, all the input comes from Towns website or The Fishy. The days of journalists going out and digging out news are more or less gone. Even the 'May' story came from a tip!

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 81
toontown
August 14, 2022, 12:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70

I would have given Smith less than 8. And so would Doig. Five was far too harsh though.

Agree with Lost In Lincoln; Smith and Glennon were caught out on more than one occasion in the first half - ball watching. Doig told them both so in no uncertain terms at the drinks break - I was in earshot of it.

Smith did lose the flight of the ball a couple of times in the second half. For instance, when Henderson checked back inside of him after Smith had misjudged the ball. Luckily Henderson scooped it over the bar.

There was last week’s error too. And the two against against Notts County in the playoffs.

As I said last week, Smith’s a great prospect. Not 21 until next month. Good on the ball, plays on the front foot. League 2 is toughening him up.

We are very lucky to have him and I love him to bits - particularly as his new haircut makes him look a bit like an alpaca. However, he’s a long way off Championship standard at present. Talk of the Premier League or England is very premature. He needs to work on his concentration because when Smith is on it, he’s a classy, modern CB.

Agree with all of that, Smith is a fantastic prospect and very good at this level right now but the championship is an absolute world away from league 2, nevermind the prem.

He was mostly very good yesterday,won some great stuff,but he did have a couple of hiccups too, just as you'd expect any player to have from time to time. He's clearly going to get better and better though and I'd be amazed if he didn't play championship level some day and I think premiership is achievable for him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 81
HerveJosse
August 14, 2022, 1:02pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,209
Gold Stars: 145
Quoted from monkeyboy
If Clifton is there for his defensive duty surely glennan would be a better choice down the wing? He’s a defender so should be good at defending. Plus his crossing abilities are much better.

I think Harry is going to struggle to retain his place now we have so many other options wide in midfield . Passing ,crossing and shooting not good enough no one can fault his work rate but we have a team of workers now who are also better at the other aspects
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 81
aldi_01
August 14, 2022, 1:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from HerveJosse

I think Harry is going to struggle to retain his place now we have so many other options wide in midfield . Passing ,crossing and shooting not good enough no one can fault his work rate but we have a team of workers now who are also better at the other aspects

No fault in his work rate or attitude but much like before, I just don’t think he’s good enough to be anything other than a bit part player, unless he’s played down the middle which is unlikely to be regularly….

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 81
Lost in Lincoln
August 14, 2022, 3:05pm
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +388
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from aldi_01

No fault in his work rate or attitude but much like before, I just don’t think he’s good enough to be anything other than a bit part player, unless he’s played down the middle which is unlikely to be regularly….

I've said for a while, as have others, that he's not a left winger in a million years. He works hard yes, but his end product is too often sub standard.

Not knocking the lad, I just think he's a victim of his own versatility.

First game: 7/5/88 Aldershot (h) 1-1 (R)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 56 - 81
Son of Cod
August 14, 2022, 3:36pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196

Yeah agreed Glennon had his hands full with Seriki down their right hand, he was a constant menace in the first half and was perhaps fortunate to not be punished.

My thoughts overall though were that Rochdale were banking on scoring early and although we rode our luck you have to say that playing with that kind of intensity in that heat was naive from Stockdale. We were patient and grew into the match. Dug our heels in at times as we absolutely had to. Hurst got his subs bang on again though and we got our rewards with yet again another late goal. I'd bet good money that there isn't another side in the top five or six levels of football in England that has taken as many points in the last 5 minutes plus injury time as we have over the last year or so. This lot go until the end week in week out and that certainly won't be the last time we see Glennon putting the ball onto Waterfall's head this season.

1-0 away win, absolutely classic Paul Hurst result. Bet he was buzzing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 81
pen penfras
August 14, 2022, 4:41pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Son of Cod

Yeah agreed Glennon had his hands full with Seriki down their right hand, he was a constant menace in the first half and was perhaps fortunate to not be punished.

My thoughts overall though were that Rochdale were banking on scoring early and although we rode our luck you have to say that playing with that kind of intensity in that heat was naive from Stockdale. We were patient and grew into the match. Dug our heels in at times as we absolutely had to. Hurst got his subs bang on again though and we got our rewards with yet again another late goal. I'd bet good money that there isn't another side in the top five or six levels of football in England that has taken as many points in the last 5 minutes plus injury time as we have over the last year or so. This lot go until the end week in week out and that certainly won't be the last time we see Glennon putting the ball onto Waterfall's head this season.

1-0 away win, absolutely classic Paul Hurst result. Bet he was buzzing.

But if they scored the goals they should have in that first 30 minutes, they'd have been out of sight and able to sit back. It's not Stockdale's fault that Henderson and others were woeful in front of goal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 81
Son of Cod
August 14, 2022, 4:46pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from pen penfras

But if they scored the goals they should have in that first 30 minutes, they'd have been out of sight and able to sit back. It's not Stockdale's fault that Henderson and others were woeful in front of goal.

Oh yeah of course, but they didn't score and then had little in the tank left for the second half, hence it being a naive plan in my opinion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 81
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back  (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.