17 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
July 30, 2022, 5:57pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Disappointing but not unexpected given the jump in level, short turnaround and a few injuries. The need for a striker is obvious.

Don't think we have found our feet yet but we will in time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 161
Chrisblor
July 30, 2022, 6:23pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +53 / -18
Approval: +8,969
Gold Stars: 242
While I agree we definitely need some additional attacking options the big disappointment for me today was the midfield trio of Morris, Green and Holohan. With the two new signings I was expecting to see them flying around the pitch snapping at heels and nicking the ball from opponents Ben Fox style but there was very little of that. Our pressing game, a strength in the playoffs last season, was totally missing and we had too many players looking leggy and leaving too much space in the centre of the park after they went 2-0 up which meant it was easy for them to see the result out. Felt like we didn't really have any leaders on the pitch trying to drag us back into it after their quickfire double which was sad, most of the players were just moaning at each other when passes went astray, or weren't played where they wanted.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 161
DB
July 30, 2022, 6:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,057
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from Chrisblor
While I agree we definitely need some additional attacking options the big disappointment for me today was the midfield trio of Morris, Green and Holohan. With the two new signings I was expecting to see them flying around the pitch snapping at heels and nicking the ball from opponents Ben Fox style but there was very little of that. Our pressing game, a strength in the playoffs last season, was totally missing and we had too many players looking leggy and leaving too much space in the centre of the park after they went 2-0 up which meant it was easy for them to see the result out. Felt like we didn't really have any leaders on the pitch trying to drag us back into it after their quickfire double which was sad, most of the players were just moaning at each other when passes went astray, or weren't played where they wanted.

Luke Waterfall also referred to this in his interview on RH. The never say die attitude was missing today.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 161
ginnywings
July 30, 2022, 6:38pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
As Gary Croft pointed out, a change to our normal formation was forced upon us due to injuries.

We had scant time to work on our normal 4 2 3 1 during a short pre season, never mind the 4 3 3 we played today.

We lacked a focal point too and it all made for a disjointed performance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 161
Croxton
July 30, 2022, 6:38pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,019
Gold Stars: 35
Both of your posts Chrisblor, describe what I saw. That's all I can type on  this Sheffield train!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 161
AussieMariner
July 30, 2022, 8:24pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,076
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Croxton
Both of your posts Chrisblor, describe what I saw. That's all I can type on  this Sheffield train!

Oooooh train ……

I’m on a National Express bus due back in Leeds around midnight

No alcohol allowed 😎
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 161
AndyGTFC
July 30, 2022, 8:28pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +804
Gold Stars: 5
Orient looked a decent side to be fair, just one of those days.

Sure Town will do alright with time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 156 - 161
AussieMariner
July 30, 2022, 9:06pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,076
Gold Stars: 31
Thought we edged the first half and towards the end of it McAtee looked like he was getting a taste for the game with some trademark flicks and tricks.
Then we came out for the second half looking right up for it but it was only for a few minutes before the pen took the wind out of our sails.
Then the second killed it as we just couldn’t find a way back into the game.
A bit disappointing after the playoffs but overall I thought we looked decent and competitive, just missing a bit of spark except for just before and just after half time. I reckon it’s there though. Looking forward to next week and I see a few of the players have tweeted about putting things right.
UTFM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 157 - 161
Croxton
July 31, 2022, 9:45am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,019
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from AussieMariner

Oooooh train ……

I’m on a National Express bus due back in Leeds around midnight

No alcohol allowed 😎

Sorry mate, back home in Hillsborough by 8.30. Wife felt sorry for me and picked me up at the station!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 161
July 31, 2022, 10:05am
Guest User
Quoted from HerveJosse
Not enough strikers in the building whatever the quality. Key player having to play out of position in first game as a consequence not good. Surprised we didn’t keep Mani given lack of incoming in that department

I read somewhere that Mani wanted to be a regular starter in the team, and PH didn't want to promise him that.

Reply: 159 - 161
17 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Match thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.